- Text Size +

Justin cried for several minutes, and then pulled away from Em. He wiped his eyes on his sleeve, taking several deep breaths before he faced his long time friend.

"Baby, what's wrong?"

"Brian had a trick," Justin stated with a soft voice.

Em didn't say anything, just waited for Justin to continue.

"He said he went to Babylon the night the paramedics came and he..." Justin felt the tears fall down his face as he talked, but he didn't make any effort to stop them. "He got a blow job. Em... why now? He hasn't tricked in seven years. We've been monogamous. What happened?" Justin questioned his friend, even though he didn't expect an answer.

"I couldn't stay there. Don't you see? I had to leave. What am I going to do? He tricked. Brian tricked. He got a blow job."

Em gathered his food and brought it to the table. "Come eat. No use wasting away. Now these chocolate chip cookies are your favorite and I brought those yummy cranberry muffins you like so much." Emmett pointed to the small table in the area that served as a makeshift kitchen, and Justin walked over to the table, sitting down. He bit into the chocolate chip cookie and chewed the soft treat.

"They're good. Thanks."

"You're welcome. I bet you haven't eaten much. Let's fix you a sandwich. I brought my famous Asiago cheese bread." Em proceeded to ply Justin with food for the next half hour, and little conversation was exchanged except Justin's comments on the food.

"I guess I was hungry. Thanks Em."

"No problem, Baby." Em patted his arm. "Now, we really should clean up this place so you can walk," Em announced. He took the trash from his lunch and threw it away, placing the leftovers in the small refrigerator in the kitchen area.

"Actually, Em..." Justin hesitated.

"What, Baby?"

"I need a shower and I was wondering..."

"Say no more. I have experience helping Drewsie with the intricacies of showering with a cast. Remember when he broke his arm at the end of the season a few years ago? Leave it to me. Now where is your plastic wrap?"

"Thanks. I was beginning to wonder if I would ever be clean again. I can't exactly ask Brian for help, seeing as I'm living in my studio." Justin walked into the kitchen, opening the drawer to see if he had any plastic wrap. He rummaged around the drawer and pulled open a few more, only to come up empty-handed.

"Em, I think you'll have to go to the main house and ask Rosa for some plastic wrap. I don't think I thought to bring any with me," Justin admitted.

Em grabbed his coat. "Off to find Rosa. Anything else you need?"

Justin sighed. "To rewind my life and start over from a few days ago, but I don't think you can bring that over. Just get the plastic wrap before Brian sees you. He left this morning, but I don't know how long he'll be gone and I don't want him seeing you here."

Em opened his mouth to respond, but closed it instead. He opened the door, letting the chill come in before he could close it.

Justin shivered as the cold air wafted over him. Will I ever be warm again? Or happy? Or...

Em came back quickly with several rolls of plastic. "Rosa was very helpful, and she told me to tell you she was making you a burger and fries for dinner. She's worried about you."

"At least Rosa cares," Justin lamented.

Em kept quiet again and helped Justin with the wrap. He turned on the shower and adjusted the water temperature, and motioned to Justin that his shower was ready. Justin looked at Em.

"Em, I hate to ask this, but could you wash my hair?"

"Of course. Why don't you take a quick shower and we will wash it in the sink. My Aunt Lula used to wash all us kid's hair in the sink. Said it was better than us doing it since she wanted to make sure we got all the soap out. Seems one time I didn't rinse real well and came out of the shower with a few shampoo bubbles still in my hair. After that, she insisted she wash my hair in the sink."

Justin laughed at the story. "One day, I would love to meet Aunt Lula. She seems like such a character."

"She is. Maybe we'll take a road trip when you're better."

Justin got in the shower and washed his body, enjoying the feel of the water cleaning the chlorine and grime off his body. He didn't linger as there was no one to enjoy the shower with, but he was glad to be clean. After his shower, he walked over to the sink where Em had set up a chair and towels to wash his hair. Em washed his hair and dried it with a towel, and then unwrapped Justin's arm.

"There you go, sweetie. All squeaky clean. I can come tomorrow to help you again, but the next day might be a bit hard. I've got a luncheon in the morning and a dinner party. Is there anyone else who could help you?"

"I don't know. I would ask Ben, but then he'd have to tell Michael, and you know how that would end up. My mom is out--and well, so is Daphne--there are some things even a gay man doesn't want his mom to see. Maybe Ted, but he works for Brian and that might be awkward," Justin explained as he listed all his friends.

"So, this is permanent?" Emmett asked.

Justin walked over to the area where he had his clothing stored and grabbed clean clothes. He motioned for Emmett to hold that thought while he went into the bathroom to change. He sat on the toilet to put on his underwear and pants and carefully pulled them up. He remembered how Brian had shown him how to put on a shirt with only one usable hand, and then rejoined Emmett in the main room.

Sitting down on the futon, he motioned for Emmett to join him. "I don't know. I can't imagine life without Brian."

Emmett nodded his head in understanding.

"It's just... right now... I'm so hurt and confused. He tricked, Emmett. After seven wonderful years. Was this a seven year itch? Did the accident just make him realize that the grass might be greener on the other side?"

"Don't make any decisions right now," Em urged.

"I won't," Justin agreed. "Thanks for helping me today. You're a good friend."

Em stood up and gave Justin a hug. "Sweetie, I hate to cut this short, but I do have a business to run. Do you want me to come back tomorrow?"

"That would be great. I'd appreciate it. I'll see you tomorrow."

Emmett put on his coat and left. As he was leaving Britin, he called Ted.

"Ted Schmidt."

"Oh, Teddy. We were right. Brian did trick and he told Justin," Em said woefully.

Ted put down the papers he was holding and took a drink of coffee. "Damn! I was afraid that was the case, but was hoping it wasn't true."

"Can't you talk to him, Ted? This has to be fixed. They are so right for each other, and you know that they're both miserable without the other one in their lives."

"Em, if only a talk were that easy. Brian is a very private man and he really doesn't like to discuss their relationship."

"Remember when he told you about the cancer? He didn't even tell Michael. He trusted you with Kinnetik and his secrets. Surely that means something." Emmett pulled the car out of the driveway on to the main road. "I helped Justin wash his hair and take a shower this morning. He can't exactly do it himself. He was so miserable, Teddy. He loves Brian. He was so lost. We have to help them," Emmett pleaded with his friend.

Ted listened to his friend's entreaty, shaking his head in agreement with all that was said. "Em, I don't know what I can do. I can casually mention that I talked to you and that you were at the house, maybe that would get Brian talking," he mused.

"Thank you. I just want to see this fixed. Our two friends are hurting and that hurts our family. Even Gus seemed worried the other day. Gus worships Brian and Justin, and while he's still a little young to know the specifics of their past history, he knows something is up."

"I'll see what I can do. I have to be careful Em. Brian will fire my ass, and not just threaten to fire me, if I tread too far."

"Okay. Thanks, Teddy. I'll talk to you later." Emmett drove back into the city, reviewing his morning in his head.


Gus was finishing his five laps around the soccer field when the coach blew the whistle, ushering the young men back to the practice area.

"I have the list of the players who made the district all star team. Every one of you are great players, but not everyone could be chosen. If you weren't chosen, you can hit the showers. I want to meet with the following players for a few minutes before you go inside. They are:

Sandburg
Harkness
MacLeod
Peterson-Kinney
Ryan

All the players shook hands with their team mates and the chosen five stayed behind.

I made it. Dad and Justin will be so proud. I hope they can come see the game. Mom and Momma will want to come too, even if they aren't into soccer.

"District practice starts day after tomorrow. Practice is from 3:30 to 5:30 every day after school and maybe on Saturday. Anyone have a problem with those times?"

"I may have to work on Tuesdays," Sandburg explained.

"Anybody else have to work?" the coach asked.

Harkness raised his hand. "I think I have to work on Friday."

"Okay. See if you can change your work schedule, and if not, plan on some extra practice time in the mornings before school. This is a great honor to be chosen for the team, and since there will be twenty players on each team, everyone is really important. I want all you guys to make me proud."

A chorus of "Yes, sir" was heard on the practice field.

"Here are the permission forms to have signed by your parents. I'll need them back by Friday. This is Wednesday, so you have two days. Don't forget. Now go shower and I'll see you here tomorrow afternoon." The coach handed each player a packet with permission forms and play schedules.

Gus showered and drove home with his friend Jack Harkness, who had also made the team.

"Congrats on making the team, Gus. I bet your Dad will be really proud. Didn't he have a soccer scholarship in college?"

"Yeah, he did. He taught me a lot of what I know. I can't wait to tell him. Thanks for the ride home." Gus got out of the car, gave his friend a high five and went into his home. "Hello," he yelled out, but no one answered. He went into the kitchen to fix a small sandwich since he was really hungry after practice. After finishing the sandwich, he put his dirty clothes in the laundry room and took his book bag up to his room to start on his homework.

He reviewed his assignments and realized he didn't have too much to do tonight, so he decided to call his dad at work rather than wait. Sometimes Dad gets caught up in work and stays really late. I know Justin would give him the message, but I really want to tell him myself.

"Kinnetik, how may I direct your call?" Cynthia answered the phone.

"Hi Cynthia. It's Gus. Is my dad available?"

"Hi Gus. In fact, he just finished a meeting, so you have perfect timing." Cynthia buzzed Brian. "Bri, Gus is on the phone," she informed him. She transferred the call.

"Hey Gus."

Dad, I made the District Wide soccer team. Only five guys made it and I was one of them," Gus said excitedly.

"Congratulations. I'm proud of you."

"Do you think you and Justin can come watch the game?" Gus asked hopefully.

Brian's gut clenched at the mention of Justin. Shit . I don't want to tell him that Justin and I aren't talking right now. He would want to know why and I won't tell him the circumstances. Justin would want to know and he'll probably want to attend, even if I'm there. He does consider Gus his son.

"I'll be there, but why don't you call Justin and ask him yourself. I'm sure he would rather hear the news directly from you. I don't know what his schedule is, but I'm fairly certain he'd like to see you play," Brian offered.

"Sure, Dad. Thanks. I won't keep you since I know you're at work. Do you think that I could come out to Britin this weekend? We really didn't get a chance to visit last weekend." Gus asked innocently.

Jesus fucking Christ. I really can't keep this between me and Justin. Shit.

"We'll talk closer to the weekend."

"Dad, it's already Wednesday."

"I know, but there's a lot going on right now. I don't want to say yes and then have to cancel. I'll let you know by Friday afternoon. I promise."

Gus looked at his calendar for Friday. "I've got practice until 5:30. I should be home by 7:00. Take care, Dad and I'll call Justin and let him know my news."

"Later, Gus."

Gus went to the kitchen to grab a glass of juice and another cookie, and then called Justin from the kitchen. He answered after the second ring.

"Hey Gus."

"Hi Justin. I just got off the phone with Dad and he said to call you," Gus began.

Justin felt a wave of uncertainty at the mention of Brian's name. "I made the district soccer team and I wanted to know if you could come to the game? Dad said I should ask you directly as he didn't know your schedule."

Relief washed over him. At least Brian isn't trying to keep me out of Gus' life.

"When's the game? I'll make sure to clear my calendar. It's taken me a long time to understand the game, but after watching you all these years, I think I can follow it pretty well. Besides, I'm proud of you and I'd want to be there. You're like a son to me, Gus."

"You will always be my other dad, Justin. After all, you and Dad have been together practically since I've been born," Gus reminded him.

Moisture filled Justin's eyes at the remark, but he wiped his eyes, refusing to give in to the emotions behind the tears. "Sixteen years. That's a long time."

"I've never seen any two people so in love. Mom and Momma love each other, but they can't compare to you and Dad," Gus observed.

If he only knew, but..

"When is this game?"

"Oh yeah, I forgot. It's two weeks from Saturday. Gee, another week after that will be spring break. Dad said he might take me skiing this year. Maybe you two could talk about it. My grades have been really good and I did make the team. Dad always said, 'I only celebrate success'. Do you think this would qualify?" Gus rambled on.

"You'd have to talk to your Dad, Gus." I can't do this much longer. Gus is pushing every button, but he doesn't know it. "Sorry to cut this short, but I want to finish this sketch before the light gives out."

"How are you sketching? I thought your arm was still in a cast?"

"It is. I'm using the stylus program on the computer. I can use it for about an hour before my arm gets tired."

"Oh. I'll let you go, Justin. By the way, I said something to Dad about coming out this weekend. I hope to see you then."


Ted finished the third quarter profit projections for Kinnetik. Knowing Brian always wanted to see information of this kind, he felt justified in knocking on Brian's door.

Brian sat at his desk, reviewing Gus' phone call and trying to determine what to do. I guess Vic was right and I need to talk to Justin. I don't want the family making remarks in front of Gus. He needs to concentrate on his soccer game, not worry about me and Justin. Maybe if I talk to him we can settle this thing and he'll never need to find out.

Ted knocked a second time, but when he didn't receive an answer, he walked in.

Brian looked toward the door, finally noticing the intrusion to his office.

"Theodore, what do you want? I'm very busy."

"I have the third quarter profit projections. I thought you might want to see them." Ted held out the papers and Brian took them.

He started looking at them and Ted continued to stand at Brian's desk.

"What?" Brian said testily.

"I talked to Em a little while ago. He said he visited Justin this morning." Ted didn't continue, waiting for Brian to digest the statement.

"Do you need anything else, Theodore?"

"No. Don't need anything else. If you have questions about the report, I'll be in my office," Ted said as he quickly turned and walked out the door, closing it behind him.

Shit! God damn it! Emmett, the biggest gossip queen in town, knows that Justin has moved to his studio.

Brian picked up his phone and dialed.

"Hello," Emmett said as he looked at the caller ID.

"I know you visited Justin this morning," Brian stated, trying to keep his voice neutral. "I also know that you and Ted have a pretty good idea what happened after witnessing the little scene at Woody's."

"Brian..." Emmett started to talk, but was interrupted by Brian.

"What happens between Justin and me is not anyone's business. If you know what's good for you, Honeycutt, you'll stay out of it," Brian warned.

"I'm not taking sides, Brian. You're both my friends. Talk to him. He's miserable and I imagine you are too," Emmett confided.

"I said stay out of this and I mean it," Brian repeated.

"You can't bully me, Brian. But if you're worried I'll talk, don't be. I know when to keep my mouth shut. Now, I have a business to run and I promised Justin I would be out tomorrow to help him wash his hair. So, if you'll excuse me, I have a lot to do this afternoon." Emmett hung up the phone and sighed. Brian can't bully me, but I sure hope he talks to Justin. Now where is that menu for tomorrow's dinner party?

Brian looked at the phone as he put it back in its cradle. "Cynthia." he buzzed the intercom.

Cynthia came into Brian's office. "What do you need?"

"I'm leaving for the day. Do not call me unless Kinnetik is on the verge of collapse."

"Understood, Boss. Will you be in tomorrow?"

"I don't know. I'll let you know."

"Okay."

Brian shut down his computer, gathered his briefcase and coat and went to his car. He tossed his briefcase on the passenger seat and turned on the radio. As he drove toward Britin, he tried not to think of the conversation he hoped he would have with Justin.

He gripped the steering wheel, the tension tight in his body. By the time he arrived, he felt that he needed a soak in the hot tub before he was calm enough to attempt a conversation.

Chapter End Notes:

AS I was reading the chapter, I wanted to read the next chapter and the next-  angst, oh my-  but I will only post one chapter a day-  enjoy and have a lovely -V-day for those celebrating.  Comments are always welcome