- Text Size +


Brian woke up the next morning to the aroma of Claire's excellent coffee wafting under his nose.

"Wakey, wakey."

"Mmm, smells good." Brian pried open an eye and noticed that not only was his boy awake but he was freshly showered and dressed. Handing Brian the mug, Justin set out a fresh set of clothes for his lover.

"Why are you awake so early and where did these clothes come from?"

"First, it's not all that early. Two, I packed us a bag before we left; it was in the jeep. I figured the extra clothes might come in handy just in case we got lost in the wilderness. Third, Claire made breakfast, and my stomach woke me up. And if you hurry I may even leave you some." Justin allowed all his information to sink into Brian's sleep foggy brain then scurried out of the bedroom down to the kitchen. Brian took a couple of sips from the mug. Sweetened just the way he liked it, the coffee helped the fog begin to lift. Brian's bladder and stomach were each making demands. He got up and threw his clothes on. Taking the mug with him, Brian first hit the bathroom then followed his nose to the kitchen. Claire, John and Justin were already seated and eating their meal.

"Nice of you to join us, Brian. Did you have a good night's sleep?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Then help yourself and have a seat."

"Thank you, Claire." Looking around at the trio seated at the table, Brian got the distinct impression he was the butt of a joke, but his need for more coffee outweighed his curiosity. Brian helped himself to another mugful and toast.

"Is that all you're going to eat? It's no wonder why you're so skinny." Brian, unable to sustain a conversation this early on a Sunday morning merely nodded and took a bite of his toast.

"Brian, Claire showed me an album with pictures of your grandparents and the rest of your family. She's going to let us take it back home with us so I can make copies. Claire, I'll get it back to you as soon as possible."

"No rush, Justin. I've been able to look at them for forty years and it will give you two a good excuse to come back for a visit. Brian, do you think Gus' mother would allow you to bring him here. I'd love to meet him. We could make a weekend of it; perhaps plan a bar-b-q."

Much to Justin's surprise and pleasure, Brian grunted an affirmation. Needing help with the Kinney-speak translation, John and Claire looked to Justin. "That means, yes, we'd love to Claire."

"Hmm, we'll plan a date before you leave." With help from the coffee and the toast filling his belly, Brian was ready to contribute to the conversation. Not fully thinking it through, Brian offered his own invitation. "John, do you ever get to the city? If the Honey Bear piqued your curiosity last night, there are plenty of other places like it, Justin and I can introduce you to."

Not missing a beat and already having a mother/son talk with Claire, John answered, "I'd love to visit Pittsburgh. I'd like to see how the other half lives. As far as my curiosity goes, I think I may have satisfied that at the Honey Bear. There's a phone call I have to make later." Brian, relieved that he didn't put his size twelves in his mouth again, took out a couple of his business cards and gave one each to Claire and John, requesting they keep in touch.

After helping Claire clear up the breakfast dishes, Brian and Justin packed up their belongings and said their goodbyes. Not wanting to give rise to anymore emotional displays, Brian hurried Justin out of the house and to the Jeep. Before getting in Brian drew John into a fierce hug. He then thanked Claire for accepting him and Justin into her home and promised to come back soon. Claire and John waved as the Jeep headed down the drive. Beau, who had been an innocent bystander for the past 24 hours worth of drama, was happy to have his quiet peaceful home returned to him. He naively wagged his tail as the Jeep drove away. Poor dog, little did he know.

The drive back to Pittsburgh was quiet and uneventful, each man lost in thought. Justin had indeed awoken very early and spoke with Claire about his own interest in the artist Kinney and the possible value of the paintings hanging in her home. He promised to do some research, explaining his own relationship with Lindsay, as artist and gallery manager, plus Justin still had many contacts at PIFA. Claire had to agree with Brian on that one. Justin belonged back at the institute to finish his education. Silently he nodded his agreement; it appeared that Justin had acquired another mother figure in his life. John too was interested in the value of the artwork as possible investments for his mother's future and/or tax breaks if donated to a major museum. Justin offered to check out those possibilities too. Aside from Lindsay as art consultant, Justin decided to elicit Teddy's help as well. Justin was also curious about the painting that hung in Joan's home. As he was trying to come up with a scheme to take a look at the painting, Brian's voice broke through his reverie.

"You're going to wear out that gerbil in your head if you keep up all that thinking. And before you start making elaborate plans that include me or any of our friends, we're first going home, I'm going to take a hot shower, preferably with my hot partner, then I'm going to fuck said partner into the mattress and I'm not going to worry if my partner makes a lot of noise because my neighbors are quite used to it. Then we're going to eat something, fuck again, and then we'll discuss your plans. Okay?"

All Justin could do was smile and nod his consent. It never ceased to amaze him how perceptive Brian was when it came to him and his plans. Drowsy and feeling unusually calm, Justin leaned back in his seat and began to doze.

Brian, seeing his content and quiet lover sleeping, couldn't help the smile that graced his face. He had survived his trip down memory lane, with Justin's support. And with luck from the gods, he had gained a brother and another step-mother? Whatever Claire was to him, Brian liked it. Claire was able to give Brian a small piece of Jack as a good man, not the bastard he had grown up with. It couldn't wipe away the years of pain and heartache but at least Brian now had some understanding of what went wrong. Taking a page from Claire's book, Brian couldn't change the past but he could certainly make an impact on his future. That future, he hoped included Justin, Gus and John.

Back at the Anderson farm, Claire went about her usual Sunday chores. John was making plans of his own. Contemplating the phone number on the napkin, John made his decision; he dialed. After apologizing for waking the sleeping Bobby they made a 'date' to meet after his shift for an early dinner. The Honey Bear did make a palatable steak dinner and the atmosphere was conducive for exploration into unknown territory. Both of Jack's boys had seduction on their menu that afternoon.

Brian's plans went true to form, no worries there. Justin was his very willing participant. John had a little trouble getting started. He was entering 'virgin territory', so to speak and he had no idea what to do. Bobby, however, was not unfamiliar with virgins. John had the good sense to follow Bobby's lead.

Arriving at the Honey Bear at about four, Bobby lead John to a table set for two and poured him a glass of wine from a bottle he had breathing on their table. While waiting for their dinner to arrive Bobby eased John into conversation. John learned that outward appearances were indeed deceiving. Bobby wasn't all that much younger than John. He was studying business law at Penn State on a partial scholarship, hence the need to work at the Honey Bear. Bobby had regular customers that tipped him well due to his fine service. The fact that Bobby was very attractive made it all the more easy. During the week Bobby lived on campus then came home on the weekends to work. He also had a job at the university's cafeteria. The enterprising young man intrigued and impressed John. Like John, Bobby was working hard to make it and he kept his ties to his home town. John found that Bobby's grey blue eyes were just as pleasing as Justin's ocean blues. His skin was pale and he had a mop of deep red hair. John found himself reaching to touch Bobby's hair and blushed at his own impulsiveness. Bobby welcomed the touch and leaned in toward it.

John and Bobby found it easy going, able to converse about almost anything from property taxes to the home town teams. They learned they had gone to the same high school, graduating at different years but having some of the same teachers. John couldn't believe how relaxed he felt. This was so different from 'courting' women. He liked the difference.

Around seven, conversation winding down, they had to go home. John had an early appointment in the morning and Bobby had to go back to campus that night. John had to admit to himself that he didn't want to leave. Out in the parking lot they made plans to see each other the following weekend and Bobby promised to call during the week. Before allowing John to get into his car and sensing that John had never kissed a man, Bobby clasped John by the nape of his neck and pulled John down to meet his lips. John melted into the embrace. Breaking for air, John attempted speech. Bobby smiled and calmed John's racing thoughts.

"There's no rush; we take this nice and slow." John nodded then he took another taste of Bobby's full ripe lips, this time more prepared to savor the flavor of Bobby's own taste combined with the wine. "Until next Friday then," Bobby ventured.

"I'll be here," John promised. Retreating into their cars, John went home, Bobby went back to Penn.

During the next week, Brian was in full ad exec mode, barking out his orders, watching his staff jump and overall just being Brian Kinney. Justin spent all his spare time running around town doing his research. His Sunshine file grew fatter with all the information he was collecting. Lindsay was fascinated with the art book, Claire's photo album and with the artist Kinney. She joined Justin in his research. Brian made good his promise to Justin and found a way of getting into Joanie's house to take a good look at the painting. Actually it was a lot easier than he thought it was going to be.

One afternoon, Joan, not feeling too much pain and in need of Brian's 'help' with a tax bill, bullied her way past Cynthia and into Brian's office. Thankfully Brian was in between clients. Not wanting to give up the game to Joan, Brian had little trouble being his snarky self. Making an excuse that he didn't have his personal check book with him at the office, he told Joan he would go to her house that evening with a check. Hoping that Joan would be three sheets to the wind by then, Brian would have no difficulty looking at the painting and perhaps escaping that house with it tucked under his arm.

Later that evening, Joan had her check and Brian had his Kinney.

Over the next several weeks, with the help from Lindsay, Ted, John and Brian, Justin's research was coming to an end. Lindsay had arranged for the shipping of all the 'Kinney's' to the gallery and for an appraiser to look them over. With a little cleaning the near perfect paintings were worth close to $100,000.00, maybe more at auction. At the very least, allowing them to be shown or donating them to a museum could bring Claire a tidy sum. When the question of ownership came up, Brian decided to make sure that when he signed over the deed to the house to Claire, all its contents including the paintings were stipulated as hers. Justin had hopes of reuniting the two parts of the painting of the Anderson farmhouse and the Kinney mansion and giving the whole painting back to Claire. To Justin, it symbolized the reuniting of Brian and his family.

John's business took him to Pittsburgh on many occasions and Bobby was able to meet there as well. Brian introduced John to his 'family.' Debbie nearly lost her wig when the look-alike brothers sauntered into the diner one afternoon. (By then, John had perfected his saunter.)

"Holy fuck! There's two of them!" Debbie exclaimed with a shriek. After calming Brian's first step-mother down, he explained the whole story to Debbie. Debbie embraced her latest 'son' into her fold, nearly turning John blue with one of her infamous bear hugs.

John learned that being Brian Kinney's brother had several advantages. When visiting Pittsburgh and especially the land of Liberty, not only did he pick up a few business contacts, he had more phone numbers from men than he knew what to do with. John also learned the disadvantages of being Brian Kinney's brother; he had more phone numbers from men than he knew what to do with. John didn't want all those phone numbers. There was only one phone number he wanted and had. His and Bobby's relationship was growing.

As summer was approaching, Claire made good on her invitation for the bar-b-q. She planned a real family party for the July 4th weekend. The unsuspecting Claire had no idea what 'family' meant to Brian and Justin. Poor Beau, the old dog's peaceful life was about to take a major left turn.

Brian turned into the driveway and glanced in the rearview mirror. He could see Debbie's old heap containing her, Michael, Hunter and Ben make the same turn. He breathed a sigh of relief that they had managed to follow him all the way with no misadventures. He could see Ted's car containing Ted, Emmett and Lindsay turn as well. They had all made it.

"Tell me why I'm doing this again," Brian said glancing back at Gus who was dozing in his big boy seat in the back of the rented Jeep Cherokee.

"Because you want Claire and John to meet the rest of your family, especially your son."

"He seems really thrilled to be doing this," Brian snarked looking at the sleepy boy.

"You know the car always puts him to sleep if we go any distance," Justin said. "Hey, Gus, we're here." Justin reached behind his seat, grabbed Gus' leg and rubbed gently. The little boy opened his eyes.

"Maybe we should buy one of these things," Brian said tapping the steering wheel.

"You mean so we can have a family vehicle as opposed to your fuckmobile."

"I thought it would be yours, but if you don't want…"

Brian was unable to finish that statement as Justin's lips found his and kissed him hard. Justin knew he would be getting a new car. He smiled one of his sunshine specials.

"Hey, you'll have me running this heap into the house if you don't stop that," Brian griped as he pulled the vehicle to a stop. Gus giggled in the back seat.

They all climbed out and Brian freed Gus from his car seat. He took Gus' hand and led him towards Claire and John who were waiting just outside the screen porch. Gus hung tight to Brian's leg, a little unsure about these strangers.

"Gus," Brian said. "This is your Uncle John and your grandma Claire."

"Hi," Gus said half hiding behind Brian's leg.

"He's beautiful, Brian," Claire said. "He looks just like you. Gus, can I have a hug? I baked a batch of cookies specially for you." Gus looked up at his father who nodded. Gus made his way over to Claire and put his arms around Claire's neck as she squatted down to hug the little boy. "Bobby, bring that plate of cookies out here," Claire called as the redhead from the Honey Bear came out of the screen porch carrying a plate of cookies. "Which one would you like, Gus?"

Gus pointed to one but looked over at Lindsay who had gotten out of the car and was standing with all the others while Gus made the acquaintance of his relatives.

"Say thank you, Gus," Lindsay told him, "and you can have one."

Gus said thank you smiling up at Claire as he took a bite of the delicious cookie. "Good," he said.

John came over and held out his hand. Gus took it looking up at the man who looked a lot like his father. He looked back and forth between the two men. "He looks like you, Daddy."

"Actually he looks like me," John said with a grin. "I'm older."

"I'll give you that," Brian said not wanting to discuss age.

Just then Beau put in an appearance deciding to lick the cookie residue off Gus' face. Gus giggled and ran to his father.

"Beau won't hurt you," Brian said.

"If you throw this stick, he'll bring it back to you," John said picking up a twig that lay on the ground nearby.

Gus wasn't great at throwing the stick but Beau faithfully returned it each time, even if it only went a foot or two. While Gus was occupied, Brian introduced everyone else and they all got drinks. They went to sit in the screen porch away from the hot afternoon sun.

"The bar-b-q is all fired up and ready to go whenever you want to eat," John said.

"I'm starving," Justin said.

"Don't be bashful, Sunshine," Brian said kissing Justin's cheek.

"A good appetite is very attractive in a man," Claire declared.

"Thank you, Claire," Justin said grandly getting up to go help with the food. Brian stuck out his tongue at him.

"Gus, stay in sight," Brian said. "We don't want you falling in the stream."

"Beau won't let that happen," John stated. The boy and dog were running around the barn chasing each other.

The hamburgers and steaks were added to the bar-b-q and John took on the role of chef. Claire, Debbie, Justin and Lindsay went inside to lay out the salads and rolls. Emmett and Ted were talking to Bobby. Michael and his brood said they were going to walk down to the stream before the food was ready.

Brian moved over beside John watching him arrange everything over the fire.

"It's a beautiful day for a bar-b-q," John said.

Brian nodded. "I see you and Bobby are seeing each other."

"Actually he's been living here for about a week. We love each other," John said slowly.

"You don't waste time when you make up your mind."

"Did you?"

Brian winced. "Way too much! Justin had to drag me kicking and screaming into a relationship."

"I'm too old to waste time," John said. "I've never been so happy. And mother loves Bobby."

"I'm really happy for you," Brian said sincerely.

"Thanks. It wouldn't have happened if you and Justin hadn't come here that day."

Brian nodded in confirmation. "There's something else I want to talk to you about though."

Before Brian could say anything more Claire came out of the porch to tell them that the rest of the food was ready whenever the meat was done.

"I want to talk to you both about the deed," Brian said.

"Have you signed the papers we sent you?" Claire asked.

"No, I haven't."

Claire looked startled. "Why? Is there a problem?"

"Kind of," Brian said. "I'm not signing…"

"You fucking asshole! You're backing out after everything you said?" John exploded. Everyone within earshot stopped talking and turned to watch the drama unfold.

"If you'll let me finish…"

"I can't believe you would stab us in the back like that," John continued his rant, the meat on the bar-b-q forgotten as his temper got the best of him.

"John, all I want is your promise to help me build a treehouse for Gus and then I'll happily sign."

"Oh," John said looking sheepish and shaking his head. "I'm sorry."

"I figured you are an architect and we could build a good one for Gus in that old maple." Brian grinned, the anger forgotten.

"We could design a humdinger. But who's going to build it?"

"I thought you and me and Justin and maybe Bobby?" Brian said with a crooked smile.

"What about your other friends?"

"Can you imagine Emmett with a hammer?" Brian asked. John chuckled. "Besides you're family and I want this to be a family project." John seemed to like the sound of that.

"And Brian wants it big enough that he can share it with Gus," Justin said coming over and putting his arms around Brian's waist.

"Twat," Brian said but kissed Justin fondly.

"Daddy!" Gus cried running out from behind the barn.

"Gus, what's wrong? What happened?"

The little boy ran to his father. He was covered in mud and maybe something worse. "Beau knocked me down," Gus said looking like he wanted to cry.

"Where were you?" Brian asked looking at the filthy boy and his own now filthy leg where Gus was hanging on.

"Probably out by the rain barrel. It has a slow leak and it's always muddy around it," John said.

"Did you find the only cow pie in the county?" Brian asked lifting Gus up and giving him the sniff test. It was only mud if his nose could be believed.

"You're getting all dirty too, Brian," John said.

"It's okay," Brian said giving Gus a kiss. "Lindsay brought three outfits for Gus and Justin told me to bring a change of clothes. Hey, Sonny Boy, how be we go climb a tree while we're dirty. We can change for dinner when it's ready."

"Yeah," Gus said enthusiastically wrapping his arms around Brian's neck.

Brian carried Gus over to the old maple and set the boy carefully up on the big branch before he climbed up after him. Everybody could see Brian and Gus talking and gesturing as they dangled their feet from the branch.

"What a difference from the day Brian fell in the stream," John said sadly.

"Brian's always worried that he won't be a good father, that he'll turn out like Jack," Justin said.

"I don't think he has anything to worry about."

"Me either," Justin said with a grin. "Can you turn the heat down on the meat so that it won't be ready too soon?"

"You got it, but I thought you were hungry."

"Some things are more important than my stomach," Justin said looking at Brian and Gus.

"Yeah," John agreed.

"Oh, I brought something for you and Claire," Justin said. "It's in the back of the Jeep."

John followed Justin and helped him unload the painting they had taken from Joan's house. John went and got its alter ego from the hall. When they placed them side by side they looked great, like that was how they should be, like they were complete.

"It's good to reunite them," Claire said wiping a tear from her eye. Debbie gave her a big hug.

"Brian, come look at this," Justin called.

"In a minute," Brian replied. "Gus and I almost have our treehouse planned."

"He's just a big kid, you know," Justin chuckled.

They spent the rest of the afternoon eating and getting to know each other. The family and friends seemed to meld together just like the two paintings that had been separated for so long.

As Brian's strange little family got ready to leave, John pulled Brian aside and made arrangements for him to come back in a couple of weeks. John would get the lumber and they could put up the treehouse in a weekend if they really worked at it. Brian gave John and Claire a hug which set off a major hugfest that lasted several minutes as everyone, including Bobby had to be included.

Finally they all climbed into their vehicles and set off back to Pittsburgh.

"That was a good day," Justin said with a happy sigh.

"The best," Gus piped in.

"The best," Brian agreed.

"I guess I can close the Sunshine files now," Justin said putting his folders in the back seat next to Gus.

"I'm just glad you opened them in the first place," Brian said leaning over to kiss his partner. He had a new family, good friends, a great son, and pretty soon the treehouse that he had always wanted. Life was good.

The End.
SabinaThymeSunshine is the author of 78 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 8 members. Members who liked The Sunshine Files also liked 747 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Sunshine Files . The next story in the series is Treehouse.