- Text Size +

Over the next few weeks, what the doctors called Justin's gross motor skills, showed great improvement. He was able to walk up and down the halls using a walker. He had to stay on the floor and be escorted by Brian, Jennifer, or a nurse, as he was still prone to seizures. The medication had made them much less severe but he still was having one or more a week. This frustrated Justin and he wondered how he would ever have a normal life again. But what scared him even more was the slow progress of his fingers. He was still not able to hold a pen in his hand.

He had been working hard and with the aid of the laptop Brian had given him, he was now caught up with his schoolwork and was set to graduate with his class. He had hoped to walk across the stage and receive his diploma, but his doctor wouldn't even consider it until they had his seizures under control.

"I was really hoping to attend," Justin told Emmett. "I want to show them."

"I know, sweetie," Emmett sympathized. "And you will show them. You'll be back good as new in no time."

"I don't know about that," Justin sighed. "I still can't even grip a pencil with enough strength to make a mark on a piece of paper, and I'm having all these seizures. I can't imagine what my life is going to be like, Em."

"Justin, it's only been two months and you've come so far. Don't be discouraged. You'll get there. I just know it."

"I hope you're right. So enough about me, I want to hear all about what's been happening on Liberty Avenue," Justin said, changing the subject. "Did Ted ever find out where Blake went?"

"We've got to do something, Teddy." Emmett and Ted were at Woody's later that evening and Emmett was retelling his afternoon conversation.

"Short of performing a miracle, I'm not sure what there is we could do," Ted reasoned.

"True, but still, we have to try." Emmett sat back and pondered. Suddenly his eyes lit up. "I have it. We'll have a party; a graduation ceremony of our own. We can set something up in the courtyard of the hospital. Justin said that they let him go down there as long as Brian or Jennifer are with him. Oh Teddy, it will be perfect."

Ted had to give it to his friend. Emmett could put together one hell of a party on a moment's notice, so two weeks later when he arrived at the hospital courtyard he really wasn't surprised at what he saw.

Emmett had created a small stage and decorated it in St. James' colors. There was a podium for a speaker to address the crowd. He had set up folding chairs for the guests and another table with hor d'oeuvres. All the gang was in attendance and in caps and gowns.

Brian was in on the plan and had instructions to bring Justin down at two o'clock.

Up in the hospital room Justin was trying to not think about what day it was and where he should be. "Do you think they'll let Chris Hobbs walk across the stage with the rest of the class?"

"How the fuck should I know, and why the fuck would you care?" Brian snarked. "Now, why don't we go outside and work on your physical therapy?"

"Would it be okay if we skipped it today?" Justin asked with a sigh.

"No, it would not be okay. Come on, it's a pretty day out. The sunshine will make you feel better."

Justin frowned, he knew Brian wasn't going to take no for an answer. "All right."

Brian pulled the wheelchair over by the bed. While Justin could walk around with a walker and sometimes even a cane, the nurse still insisted that he use a wheelchair when Brian took him off the floor.

"Your chariot awaits."

"Brian? What's going on?" Justin asked as they exited the hospital out into the yard.

"Justin!" Emmett exclaimed, skipping over to where Justin sat. "Welcome to your graduation. Well, not really, but as close as we could get," he added with a giggle.

"Emmett. What have you done?" Justin face broke into his signature sunshine smile as he looked around at the gang all dressed up in satin gowns and mortarboards.

"Well, if Mohammed can't go to the mountain… Here slip this on," Emmett said handing Justin his own gown and cap.

"Now come on, we're about to begin," Emmett said, turning around. "Okay, everyone, our guest of honor is here. Shall we begin?"

Everyone took a seat as Emmett led Justin over to his chair, front and center. Daphne walked over to the side of the stage. "Emmett, are you sure it's safe to get on this?" she asked standing at the foot of the three stairs that lead up to the platform.

"I promise, sweetie," Emmett assured her. "I supervised the builders myself."

"I'm sure you did," Ted said under his breath.

Daphne shrugged and stepped up on to the stage and stood at the podium.

"Hello everyone," she started. "I've been asked to share a few thoughts with you today.

"My time at St. James has had high points and low, but I must say that St. James has prepared me for the world. Prepared me for the fucked up place we live in.

"St. James had taught me about bigotry and hypocrisy. St. James has shown me the need for tolerance and an open mind. I came to St. James an innocent, naïve girl but I leave an angry, jaded young lady. So I vow to take that anger and use it in a positive way.

"I vow to take every opportunity I have to educate people on the damage ignorance and hatred can cause. And I challenge you to join me in my quest to make our world a better place. It's not about doing great acts; it's about doing small acts greatly. It's about seizing opportunities when they arise; it's about living your life for all to see.

"And now I'd like to turn the platform back over to our emcee. Emmett?"

"Thank you, Daphne," Emmett said, as he walked up to the podium and Daphne walked down to take her seat next to Justin.

"I want to thank everyone for coming today," Emmett said. "And Justin, I wish you were able to attend your real graduation ceremony, but I hope our little impromptu gathering will help make it a little less of a loss.

"We are all here today because of Justin. At first he was just a cute little kid, another one of Brian's conquests chasing after him. But then he wormed his way into our hearts and became a friend.

"As we got to know Justin better he became an inspiration by the way he lived his life so fearlessly. I know he has touched each one of us and made an impression on our lives.

"Once again Justin has inspired us by his strength and endurance as he continues to recover from the horrifically violent attack that was brought on by the ignorance and prejudice that Daphne just spoke of.

"Justin, I know I speak for all of us when I say that knowing you has made me a better person."

Justin felt his eyes well up with tears as Brian reached over and squeezed his hand.

"And if you'll come up on the stage, we can't give you your diploma, but we do have a little gift for you."

Justin rose to his feet and with the aid of his cane made his way up onto the stage.

Emmett pulled a package from behind the podium and helped Justin unwrap it. Inside was a wooden frame, twenty-two by thirty-four. Behind the glass were the words Friends and Family surrounded by photos from everyone present. Pictures of Justin with Brian, pictures of Lindsay, Mel and Gus, pictures of Emmett and Ted, pictures of Debbie, Michael. Even photos of Daphne, Jennifer and Molly. Everyone had contributed to the collage that told the story of the last year since Justin had come to Liberty Avenue.

"I don't know what to say," Justin said. "Thank you, really. Everyone, thank you."

For the next hour the friends partook of the hor d'oeuvres and visited with one another. "I can't believe you skipped out on graduation to be here, Daph," Justin said when she plopped down beside him.

"Why? I knew this ceremony would be much more fun."

"How did you ever get your mom to agree?"

She smiled. "I promised her she would get to see me graduate from college. But, really, she understood."

Brian had warned Emmett that two hours would be about all Justin could handle and to make sure everyone knew to not stay any longer. Lindsay and Mel were the first to leave using Gus as an excuse. After that everyone else followed suit until it was down to Justin, Brian and Emmett.

"You about ready to go back up to your suite?" Brian chided.

"Yeah." Justin turned to Emmett. "Thank you, Em. This was the best graduation I could have ever had."

Emmett hugged Justin close. "I'm so glad. Now you go get some rest."

Justin nodded and sat back down the wheelchair. "Okay, James. Take me home."

"Yes, dear," Brian said in his teasing falsetto voice.

"I can't believe all the work Emmett put into that," Justin said as Brian helped him into bed.

"The party?"

"The party, the gift, the speech, all of it. You have some pretty terrific friends."

"Yeah? Well, they're your friend too, you know."

Justin smiled. "Yeah, they are."