- Text Size +

"Brian?" Michael called out as he entered the loft. After Justin had called him he had tried Brian's cell and then home phone but hadn't got an answer on either. Finally he gave up and borrowed Emmett's car to go check on his friend.

"Brian?" He saw him stretched out on the bed. "Brian?" he said as he sat down on the side of the mattress. "Brian, wake up."  

Brian never stirred. Michael watched him sleep, looking for signs of trouble. His breathing was slow and deep. Michael lifted one of his eyelids; his pupils weren't dilated. He was okay, just sleeping really soundly. Michael stood and looked around for any telltale signs. He walked into the bathroom and saw the prescription bottle on the counter. Picking it up he read the label; they were sleeping pills. He opened it up; there were still six or seven in the bottle. Yeah, Brian was fine, he had just wanted some peace from the world for a few hours. Michael sat the bottle down and went back out to check on his friend one more time before driving home.

"Yeah, Justin. Listen, he was asleep. That's why he didn't hear the door. He's okay, really."

"Are you sure? 'Cause this morning he seemed-"

"Listen Justin, Brian feels guilty about what happened to you and then on top of that he really cares for you. Those aren't things Brian's used to feeling. He's freaking out a little. Give him some time. He'll be fine."

"Yeah, okay. Thanks Michael."

"Who were you talking to?" Jennifer said coming into the room.

"Um, Michael. He heard I was in a regular room and called to see how I was."

"That was nice of him."

"So, how's Molly?"

"She's fine. Misses her brother."

Justin huffed. "I doubt that, maybe you can bring her up."

"Oh, honey, I don't think they'd let her. She's too young."

"Oh, yeah."

"You know, sweetie, now that you're not in the trauma ward they're not going to let me stay here all night."

"They're not?"

"No, they said they'd bend the visiting hours some, but I'll have to go back home pretty soon."

"For the whole night?" Justin was trying to not let the panic take hold. He was being irrational again, he knew. But he was afraid to be alone.

"Why don't I go talk to the nurse and see if maybe they can give you something to help you sleep."

"Okay."

It wasn't long before the nurse came in with a pill for Justin to take. Jennifer sat quietly beside his bed until she was sure he was sleeping soundly then slipped out to go home.

Brian was up and in his office by six Thursday morning. He had to admit he felt better than he had in days all due to some solid sleep. He wished he knew of a way to relieve the guilt he carried around, but that seemed to be a more permanent fixture. He would have to live with his actions and how they had hurt Justin. He shook off his thoughts. Guilt and regret would get him nowhere. Besides he had to dazzle a client in a few short hours.

Jennifer awoke in her own bed for the first time since the attack. Molly had stayed the night with her dad again. Jennifer planned to let Craig have her for the rest of week and the weekend but she knew that starting Monday she needed to go back to work and bring Molly home. There were bills to be paid and Justin was on the road to recovery although just how long of a road that was, they still didn't know.

Today she would go back to the hospital and spend the day. She still wondered what had happened between Brian and Justin. She hated to think that Brian had run out on her son. She knew what he meant to Justin, not to mention she could really use his help with Justin's care.

Justin was awake and agitated when she arrived.

"Where have you been?" he snapped at her.

"I was at home. Where did you think I would be?"

"I don't like being left alone."

"Sweetie, I can't be here twenty-four hours a day. Why does it bother you to be alone?"

Justin's eyes dropped to his lap. "It just does."

"Honey, you're safe here. No one can hurt you. You know that, right?"

He shrugged.

She sighed and sat down in the chair. "What do you want me to tell you?" she asked.

"Is he in jail? Is he even being punished?"

"Honestly, I've been too concerned with you to pay much attention to that. I know he was arrested and charged."

"So he's in jail?"

"I'm not sure. I would imagine that his parents have put up bail for him."

Justin nodded. "So, he's probably out. At home."

"You don't need to worry over that though, sweetie. You just concentrate on getting well."

"I'm not sick."

"You know what I mean."

Shortly after lunch Cynthia buzzed Brian's phone. "Michael's on line one."

"Thanks, Cynthia. Hey Mikey," he said picking up the receiver. "What's up?"

"Just calling to check on you. I stopped by last night."

"Yeah. I turned in early."

"I know. I let myself in. You were out cold."

Brian pushed his chair back from his desk. He didn't like where the conversation was headed. "I was tired. What did you want, Mikey?"

"I just wanted to know how Justin's doing?"

"I don't know. Why don't you call his mother, or yours? He's not my responsibility."

"Calm down, Brian. No one is saying he's your responsibility. But I thought he was your friend."

"He's a trick that wouldn't go home; and look what it got him. Listen, Mikey, I gotta go. I have a meeting with a client in ten minutes."

"Okay. So what are you doing tonight?"

"Who knows? I'll be here until late, then probably Woody's and Babylon, you know, the usual. Why? You want to join me?"

"No, and I don't want to get a call from the bartender to come take your drunken ass home either."

"Well then turn off your phone. No one asked you to be my keeper. Gotta go, Mikey," Brian hit the release button before Michael could respond.

"Hey, Justin. How're you doing today?" Daphne asked when she stopped by after school.

Justin grinned at her. "Okay I guess. Brian still hasn't been by. I think all this freaked him out. I just wish I could talk to him."

"So call him."

"No. This is Brian we're talking about here."

Daphne rolled her eyes.

 "So, Daph. Is Hobbs back at school?"

"Um, why do you ask?"

"I know it was him that bashed me. Mom said he was arrested but she figures he was released on bail. I just wondered if he was back in school." He studied her face. "He is, isn't he?"

She looked down. "Yeah, he is."

"Shit, Daphne. That is so unfair. What is everyone saying?"

"Nothing really. Everyone pretty much avoids him except for his creepo jock friends."

"I had a dream last night that he came up here looking for me," Justin said, his voice soft, looking down at his lap.

"Justin, that's awful."

"You don't think he would, do you? Come up here, I mean."

"No way. He'd never. Besides he's on house arrest or something. He can only go to school and he's escorted there and back."

"I wish Brian would come back," Justin sighed. "I wouldn't be so scared if he were here."

Daphne frowned and patted his hand.

That evening Jennifer sat with her son until the nurse gave him a sleeping pill and he drifted off. While she was leaving the hospital, across town Brian was walking out of his office. He had stayed after the last meeting with his client to try to get a head start on his newest campaign. He glanced as his watch. It was late; surely Justin would be asleep by now. He felt the twinge of guilt needle at him again; he tried to brush them aside. The kid wasn't his responsibility.

Friday morning Brian got up and went back to the office. He had a plan, he would bury himself in his job and if that didn't work, well, there were other ways of pain management.  

He managed to lose himself most of the day, barely thinking of the blond at all until he looked up to see Daphne standing in his doorway.

His heart sank, fearing the worst. "Is he…?"

Daphne walked in and sat down. "Is he what? Pissed? Confused? Afraid? Why don't you go up there and ask him?"

"I've been busy," he barked. Now he was pissed. She wasn't here to deliver bad news, she was here to bitch at him.

"He needs you."

"To do what? Hold his hand? His mother can do that. Besides what good will it do? I can't fix him."

"It's not about fixing him, Brian. God, for a big shot ad man you can sure be pretty stupid. You care about him; I know you do. I was there; remember? I saw you that night; the way you looked at him. So why are you turning tail and running now?"

Brian sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "He's better off without me."

She chuckled. "That may be true, but that's not the point. He loves you and right now he needs you. And more than that, you love him. And don't you even try to tell me your 'I don't believe in love' bullshit. He may not remember that dance, but I do." She stood and walked over to stand in front of his desk. "Now get your head out of your ass before you fuck this up beyond repair, because I've seen a glimpse of your life and Justin is the best thing that's ever happened to you." With that she turned and left his office while he sat stunned over what she had said.

The rest of the day was a wash. Brian was too distracted by Daphne's words to concentrate on anything. Around six he finally gave up to go home.

After a shower and change of clothes, he sat down on the sofa and lit up a joint. Daphne was right; Justin was the best thing that had happened to him. And the kid needed him; the only reason he was sitting here instead of up there with him in the hospital was because he did feel something and that scared the piss out of him.

Jennifer walked out of the hospital. She had promised the sitter she would be home by eight. Justin was upset that she wasn't staying later, but she had no choice; Craig had backed out on keeping Molly for the weekend so she had to get home. She looked up to see Brian walking toward her.

"Brian," she said.

He stopped in front of her. She watched as he chewed on his lip and avoided her eyes. Sometimes he acted so much like a little kid. She could see the shame in his eyes, and maybe a little fear. Did she intimidate him? It had never occurred to her, but she supposed maybe she did a little.

"How is he?" Brian asked.

"He's fine. I wasn't sure we'd see you again." There were times when she cursed the day her son had met this man.

He looked back down at his shoes. "I…" he stammered. "I care about him."

"Well, if you do, then do him a favor."

He looked back at her, seeming to brace himself for her words.

"Don't go back in there unless you plan to see this through. Don't put him through wondering if you're going to freak out and run every time the road gets bumpy. My son deserves someone who will be there for him; if you can't be that person, then walk away now. Please."

Brian nodded, still chewing on his bottom lip. "I fucked up," he said with a sigh. "And I'll probably fuck up again. But, I won't run away."

She nodded. "Well then, good. I'm going to hold you to that."

Brian stood in the doorway watching Justin. He was lost in some drama playing out on the television. "Hey," Brian said walking in.

"Brian." Justin's face lit up. "I knew you'd be back."

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry I freaked you out."

"No. I was… well…" he grinned. "I'm here now."

"To stay?" Justin asked.

Brian rolled his lips into his mouth, then nodded. "Yeah."

"Come here, I have something to show you," Justin said with a grin.

Brian arched an eyebrow.

"No, not that," Justin chuckled. "Come here."

Brian walked over as Justin pulled the blanket back to reveal his feet. "Watch."

Brian looked on as Justin's right foot moved ever so slightly.

"Did you see it?" Justin grinned.

Brian's face split into a smile. "Yeah."

"I know it's not much."

"Yes it is, Justin. Yes, it is."