- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

Justin walked into the building and looked around. He immediately recognized the artist of the paintings adoring the walls of his old friend’s lobby. It was almost lunchtime and he was hoping to invite his friend Jake out so they could discuss an upcoming event. He made his way down the hallway and gently tapped on the door. He heard Jake’s familiar voice bark, "Come in."

Justin pushed open the door and had just stepped inside the room when he heard a high-pitched shriek of "Sunshine!" right before he was engulfed in a tight hug. "Oh my God! I can’t believe it’s you. It seems like forever since we talked."

Jake cleared his throat and spoke with an authoritarian tone, "How many times must I tell you, mouse, that you can’t jump all over another Dom? Sunshine is no longer a sub, so you can’t just jump all over the man without permission."

Justin watched as Miguel hung his head and whispered, "Sorry, Master," before walking back to the side of the desk. Justin knew that Jake was extremely strict in matters of etiquette but he really wished the man would relax his control at times. That was probably the reason their relationship just hadn’t worked. He grinned at Jake and asked, "Do I have permission to hug your mouse?"

Jake laughed. "I knew you were going to ask. Sure go ahead."

Justin laughed out loud when Miguel ran over and hugged him again. "I have missed you, mouse."

"I’ve missed you too, Sunshine. Oh I’m sorry, I mean, Master Web." Miguel stepped back and smiled brightly.

"I knew those were your paintings hanging all over the lobby. I see that you have started using some new techniques."

Miguel blushed. "I am truly honored. I mean someone of your standing in the art world giving praise to my little drawings. It means so much."

Justin grinned and winked at Miguel. "Well, I just know what I like, and I’ve always loved your work."

"So, what do we owe the pleasure of a visit from the great Justin Taylor?" Jake leaned against his desk watching the two blondes.

"I just happened to be in the neighborhood and thought I’d ask my old friend out to lunch, but it seems you already have your lunch hour booked." Justin winked at Miguel.

Jake looked at mouse for a moment before turning his attention back to Justin. "I’m sure we can change our plans. Besides, I wanted to talk to you about your new boy."

"Not much to talk about really. I can’t even say he’s my boy yet, but I’m working on it."

"From what I saw, I’d say he’s definitely your boy, so what’s the hang-up?" Jake winked at Justin.

Justin shrugged and met Jake’s eyes. "I don’t want to mess this up."

Jake nodded his head, "What you are trying to say in a nice way is that you don’t want to make the mistakes with him that I made with you, right?"

"Jake, you know that I have nothing but respect for you, both as a Dom and as a man, but I just couldn’t live the way you wanted me to."

Jake held up a hand to stop Justin’s explanation. "Sunshine, you don’t have to explain yourself to me. I knew at the time that you would never be able to live with the restrictions, but I guess I’m just too set in my ways to change. I don’t regret our time together, but it’s all worked out for the best." He looked over at mouse and his expression gentled. "I have my mouse and you have your cookie."

Justin noticed the way Miguel seemed to light up at hearing those words. He was so happy that his two friends had found one another, and that they seemed so happy together. He knew what people thought of Miguel when meeting him the first time. It was the popular opinion that he was just some weak little boy that needed a firm hand, but Justin knew the truth. Miguel was an extremely determined and strong man. He followed Jake’s rules for one reason and that was because he loved the man, and if Jake’s demeanor were any indication, Justin would bet anything that Jake was just as smitten with Miguel. While Justin loved Jake as a friend, he knew that he’d never given the man his heart the way a sub should, but it all had worked out in the end. He wondered what cookie was up to and glanced at his watch. "How about we get together for dinner. I wanted to discuss something with you."

"Just come over to the house tonight. I’m sure mouse wouldn’t mind cooking for three."

Miguel smiled at Justin. "I’d love to have you over. Did you need to speak with Master privately?"

"No, actually it has to do with you. I wanted to discuss the possibility of you coming to Pittsburgh and spending some time with cookie." Justin looked back at Jake.

"I’ll have to check our schedules, but I’m sure we can work something out." Jake ruffled Miguel’s hair affectionately. "Did you want your boy to meet the best trained sub on the planet?"

Justin laughed softly as Miguel blushed. "Yes, that was the idea." He watched as Jake pulled Miguel into a hug, placed a kiss on his brow, and whispered something into his ear. For a second, he felt a pang in the vicinity of his heart. He really wished that he’d achieved that type of closeness with cookie, but it took time, and he was sure they’d eventually get there. He certainly hoped they would.

"Can we expect you tonight around 7:00, Master Web?" Miguel asked as he snuggled against Jake’s chest.

"Just call me Sunshine or Justin, Miguel."

Miguel gave a slight shake of his head. "I’m sorry, but I can’t do that."

Justin looked at Jake and said, "Oh for heaven’s sake. We’ve been friends for years, and we are in a private office. What harm would it do if he called me something other than Master Web?"

Jake placed another kiss on Miguel’s brow. "Run down and get me a cup of coffee, mouse."

Justin watched as Miguel left and closed the door behind him before he turned to face Jake. He knew he was in for it as soon as Jake asked Miguel to leave the room.

"You can set whatever rules you wish for your sub. You can be as strict or as casual as you want, however, you will never question me or my methods in front of my sub again." Jake’s voice was low, calm, and menacing.

Justin dropped his head for a second before making eye contact again. "You’re right. I’m sorry. Sometimes I wonder how we managed to stay in a relationship as long as we did."

Jake smiled. "Unbelievably hot sex."

Justin laughed and winked at Jake. "Yeah, there was that all right."

"Talk to me, Sunshine. What’s wrong?"

"It’s Brian." Justin ran a hand through his hair.

"What about him? From what I could see he reminds me a lot of a certain defiant young blonde who thought he knew everything about everything." Jake grinned wickedly.

"Yeah, I know. That’s what worries me. He does remind me a lot of myself in some ways. I know he’s used to being in charge and giving that up isn’t easy for him. Hell, he’d make a great Dom if he wasn’t so emotionally messed up."

"So, maybe after spending some time with you he’ll grow into his potential the same way you did."

"Look how well that turned out for us." Justin said with a grimace.

"Sunshine, you are not me. You won’t make the same mistakes I did, and if in time your boy decides he wants to Dom, well you have subbed before, so would it be that much of a stretch for you to do it again?"

Justin thought for a moment. No, he wouldn’t mind subbing again for the right person, so if at some point Brian wanted to try his wings, he’d be willing to swap roles. He smiled brightly for the first time. "You know Jake, you are absolutely right. I think I was worried that this was going to turn out to be a repeat of our relationship."

There was a knock on the door and Jake walked over to open it. Miguel was standing in the hallway holding two coffees. "I brought you one as well, Master Web."

"Thanks, Miguel. I’ll just take it with me. I have some things to do if I’m gonna make it to your house tonight. I’ll talk to you guys later." He took his coffee, gave Miguel a quick peck on the lips, turned and kissed Jake, whispered ‘thank you’ in the man’s ear, and left.

Meanwhile, back in Pittsburgh, Brian was having one of the worst days he’d ever had. His art department completely messed up the boards for his three o’clock meeting, Michael had called at least a dozen times asking him out to lunch, and the water main had burst and flooded part of Babylon. As if that weren’t enough to deal with, Lindz had called and wanted to know when he was going to sign his rights to Gus over to Mel, Emmett was catering his three o’clock and wanted final approval on the menu, and Debbie had threatened to cut off his one remaining ball if he missed her impromptu dinner tonight. He was in hell.

The phone rang and he answered it without looking at the caller ID. "Are you ready for lunch, Brian?"

"Mikey, I told you that I’m really busy at the moment. I’m not ever going to be able to take a lunch break today. I have so much to get finished before my meeting that I just can’t take the time away."

"No problem. I’ll just grab us something from the diner and we can eat in your office. I wish you’d have told me this sooner, but I can still be there at half past one. That’s plenty of time before your meeting."

"Mikey, really, I have to work. I won’t be able to stop and chat."

"I can talk and you can work. It sounds perfect. I’ll get you the turkey sandwich fixed the way you like and be there shortly." Michael hung up before Brian could protest again.

"Hey, Bri, I need these forms signed ASAP, and Cynthia said to show you this new board." Ted walked in with a stack of papers and a foam core board.

Brian took the board, looked it over making more corrections, and muttered under his breath about stupid people that couldn’t listen to direction. "Get this back down to the art department, and Theodore, tell them that if they don’t get it right this time, I’ll be finding myself a new art director."

"Right away, Bri. I’ll pick those papers up on my way back." Ted took the board and left quickly.

Brian slumped in his chair, picked up the stack of papers, and started sorting through them. They were the new contracts for the last account and everything seemed in order, so he signed them. He leaned back in his chair and pinched the bridge of his nose attempting to keep the migraine at bay just a little while longer. He took a deep breath, closed his eyes, and the image of the blonde instantly permeated his senses. His lips curled into a small smile.

The ringing phone brought him out of his daydream. He picked it up, irritated that his thoughts had been interrupted, and snapped, "Kinney, here."

"I thought we’d discussed the proper way to answer the phone when I called." Justin couldn’t keep the smile off his lips as he joked with Brian. "If you keep this up, I’m going to think you don’t want me to call anymore."

"Master! I didn’t check the ID. It’s been a rough day." Brian explained.

"What’s wrong, cookie?" Justin heard frustration as well as exhaustion in his boy’s voice.

Brian had never been one to ‘share’ his feelings or his problems, but suddenly he just needed to unload on someone. "I have a meeting in less than two hours and the boards are for shit, Babylon was partially flooded, dinner at Deb’s, Lindz is calling, Mikey is calling, and I’m up to my eyeballs in paperwork. How was your day?"

Justin heard the emotion behind the sarcastic reply and said, "Take a deep breath. Now, listen to me. Are you listening?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, you are going to give that presentation at three and you are going to be brilliant as always. You let Ted and Cynthia help deal with the flooding and the office. You tell Mikey that you’ll get with him when you can. You go to Deb’s dinner and be yourself. You don’t need to stress out. You are an extremely intelligent and capable man. Just do one thing at a time."

Brian had closed his eyes as he listened to the blonde’s soothing voice. He already felt so much better. Everything was going to be okay now that he’d talked it over with Master. He actually felt like there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

Brian had turned so his back was to the door of his office as he listened to Justin tell him how he was going to handle things, so he never noticed Michael walking in carrying a bag of food. He continued to listen to Master tell him not to stress out. How proud he was of him. How he knew he was more than capable. All the things that Brian had really needed to hear, but just hadn’t realized he needed to hear them.

Justin finally asked, "So, do you feel better now? I know I do."

Brian smiled and whispered, "Yes I do feel better, thank you."

"Glad to hear it, but I have to go. I have a meeting of my own to prepare for. I’ll talk to you tonight right?"

"I’ll be waiting, Master, and good luck with your meeting."

"Thanks, I needed to hear that myself. Later, cookie."

Brian turned to hang up his phone and saw Michael standing on the other side of his desk with this shocked expression on his face.

"Who the fuck was that, and why were you calling him, Master?"