- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

Thursday morning at the farm. The boys dreaded this day. Not only was it a week since the silo incident but John and Peter knew they would finally face their mother. They weren't sure what kind of reaction she would have. And they had no idea what to say to her.

The plan was that Steve would bring the younger Claire to his office after breakfast where she would meet with Bill. The boys had found out that besides being a great rider and farm hand, Bill was a social worker, licensed in the state of Pennsylvania and a family therapist. Talk about looks being deceiving. The boys had thought Bill was just a cowboy.

Bill sat with Claire for hours. He allowed her to scream, cry and generally get out her thirty plus years of frustration. Bill had already heard some of Brian's take on his life growing up with Jack and Joan and now Bill was piecing together Claire's perception of it. Claire knew about the abuse but only a few years older than Brian, she was helpless to protect him and disappointed that Joan stood by and did nothing. She never understood why her father seemed to like her more than Brian. She wasn't very pretty nor was she clever like Brian yet he got hit while she just got screamed at. Her own guilt made her resent her brother and most males that came into her life, including her husband and eventually her sons.

This revelation was very painful to Claire. A mother should not resent her own children. Claire felt ashamed and wailed as Bill offered comfort and reassurance. He assured Claire that she wasn't the first parent who knew nothing of parenting and there were plenty of groups and counselors that could help her and her boys. He told Claire how proud of her he was that she took the time to face her demons and that all was not lost. She promised that she would continue counseling when she got back to Pittsburgh. Claire was tired of the hurt and pain. She wanted a real family not the dysfunctional group of misfits that resided in her house.

Before Claire could chicken out, Bill was on the phone with his counterpart in the city setting up individual counseling sessions for Claire and family sessions with her and the boys. Knowing how important consistency and regimen is in therapy, Bill had a whole timetable set up for her. Bill told Claire that he wouldn't be surprised if Brian attended a few sessions. Although he was dealing with his own hurt and resentment, Brian still needed guidance. Brian, too, was tired of the hurt and pain. For his own sake and for the sake of his son, Brian needed to heal.

Claire let what Bill told her sink in then it dawned on her that Bill mentioned Brian's son. Claire had never seen the boy and didn't know how Gus came to be. She laughed bitterly thinking that history would repeat itself, Brian had to be an awful father. Bill set Claire straight.

"Did you see that huge maple in Claire's front yard?"

"I noticed it."

"Did you see the treehouse in it?"

"Not really, why? What does an old treehouse have to do with anything?"

"That treehouse didn't exist 2 months ago. Brian and John built it together for Gus."

"Brian built a treehouse?" Claire said incredulously.

"Yes, it took them a week but all of the construction was done by Brian and John and their partners. It was a family project. Call it treehouse construction therapy. Your brothers learned a lot about each other and themselves that week. They've become real brothers and friends."

"I don't think I could do anything like that."

"Perhaps not the same thing, besides one treehouse is more than enough. But there are other projects you could do as a family."

"I'm not sure."

"After the summer is over and our boys go home, we prepare the camp and the unused buildings for winter. We use volunteers and some of our former boys come up and donate their time. Claire always helps out and she needs help cooking. Our cook is usually the first to leave camp. You could come up here and help Claire. I'm sure Brian wouldn't mind bringing you and the boys."

"I'll think about it." Claire considered it payment for the time and money the camp spent on her sons. Maybe she'd finally get to know the Brian everyone else knew.

"Bill, you said something about Brian and John having partners."

"You would have to ask them about that." Bill didn't think it was appropriate to discuss Brian's and John's private life without their permission.

"Hmm. Bill, may I see my sons now?" Claire asked hesitantly. She was just as nervous as the boys were.

"Sure, they should be in the barn mucking out the stalls. I'm sure they could use a break. And it'll be lunchtime soon. You can join us in the cookhouse."

Claire almost choked on her own spit at the thought of her city boys handling horse manure but she managed restraint. If her sons could do the chores she should be able to show the proper respect for them. Claire followed Bill out to the barn.

"John, Peter, would you come out. Your mother is here," Bill called into the barn.

The boys put their shovels aside, wiping their hands on the towels hanging on pegs near the door and came out to greet their mother. They hesitated a moment expecting to be screamed at for last week's infractions. Their jaws fell as they saw Claire kneel in the dusty barnyard with her arms held open. The boys ran to her and accepted the strong hug she had for them. Wrinkling her nose, Claire was about to blurt out that the boys smelled like shit. But she caught the warning eye that Bill was giving her and instead she told the boys how proud she was of them and that they smelled like hard working men. The boys giggled, so did Claire and then they all cried.

Giving them their moment, Bill then moved things along. "Boys, finish up in the barn then wash up. You've earned a good lunch and I do believe that Ms. Anderson sent over a batch of her cookies."

The boys looked up at Bill and broke their embrace with their mother. "Yes, sir." The boys said together and ran back into the barn to finish up. Claire's cookies were a very desirable reward.

"How do you do that? I can't get them to clean up their room let alone a barn. They weren't..."

"No, we never use corporal punishment. We guide our boys in making the best decisions and then living with the consequences if they chose not to participate. Your boys have made progress but it would have been better if we had gotten to them earlier. The incident with the silo was a turning point. They may never have changed without that happening and they still need work. You all do. Maybe they can come back next summer."

"Maybe." Claire was astonished at the boy's warm greeting of her but she remained unconvinced that anything would ever make her boys human.

"Let's go, it's time for lunch. The boys will meet us in the cookhouse."

Claire again followed Bill's lead.

In the cookhouse Claire was amazed by the way her boys and all the boys eagerly did their assignments. There was pleasant conversation as the boys helped to prepare lunch. John got out the bread and cutting board and started to cut precise slices for sandwiches. Peter started pouring out the lemonade but asked for help when he realized the pitcher was too heavy for him. All the boys broke out into giggles when Steve brought out the lettuce. Claire raised an eyebrow not understanding the inside joke. "Just a minor incident with salad last week. Nothing to worry about," Steve reassured Claire.

Halfway through lunch Peter worked up enough nerve to talk to his mother about his drawings. "Mom?"

"Yes, Peter."

"After lunch can I show you some stuff that I drew?" Peter mumbled hoping that his mother or the other boys wouldn't laugh at him. One of the older boys spoke up to Peter's astonishment. "He's very good at it."

Peter smiled and then looked back at his mother waiting for her answer.

"I would be very honored if you'd show me your drawings, Peter."

Peter beamed at his mother.

The rest of the afternoon passed quietly. Steve gave Claire the tour of the farm and answered more of her questions about the farm's purpose and the elder Claire's involvement. The younger Claire's respect for the older woman grew as she learned of her struggle to keep the farm going and how she and John worked hard so that John could complete his education. Claire couldn't believe that John stayed loyal to his mother and remained here. Brian took the first chance he had to escape their family but then they didn't have Claire Anderson for a mother. After dinner Steve took Claire back to the main house.

Sitting on the porch, the two Claires took advantage of a cool breeze that wafted past. Sipping iced tea they got to know each other better.

"Bill told me that Brian and John built a treehouse."

"Yes, they did. It's still very light out; would you like me to show you?" The younger Claire nodded.

Claire followed Ms. Anderson over to the base of the maple. She gasped at the intricate and beautifully constructed treehouse.

"My brother helped to build this?"

"Yes he did. My son is an architect. John designed the plans and with his help, he and Brian along with their partners put it together. Let's go up."

The ladies made it to the first level. Claire stood at the railing, looking over the balcony.

"It's beautiful. I can't believe how safe I feel up here."

"I get the impression your brother feels the same way. Nothing can hurt him up here."

Claire nodded; she understood. She knew that Brian often used his height and his loft as a fortress against all the pain he suffered in the past. She could see why he would feel safe up here too.

"Come on, you haven't seen the best part yet." They ascended the steps to the treehouse.

"Oh my god! A fireplace? That had to be Brian's idea."

The elder Claire laughed as she nodded her head. "Oh yes, we all had a laugh at that one. When your brother makes his mind up about something there isn't anything or anyone that can change it. Well, maybe Justin can, but it would take work."

"Is it real?"

"Yes, it runs on gel. But Gus doesn't have access to it unless Brian or Justin is with him."

"And this mural, don't tell me Brian did that?"

"No, that was Justin. He's quite the artist. It was his curiosity that brought all of us together and made this possible."

"It's wonderful. The little boy playing chess with Brian, he looks so much like Brian when he was little. Is that Gus?"

"Yes, it is. John looked a lot like them too when he was little."

"Must be those strong, stubborn Kinney genes." Claire giggled. She never knew that her brother had the patience to be a part of something like this and be a real father. "Ms. Anderson, I never heard the whole story of how you and John were found. Would you tell me? Brian, you know how Brian is. He gives you just enough information that he thinks is necessary then clams up."

"I'd be happy to tell you. It may have a painful beginning but it has the best ending."

The two Claires closed up the treehouse and then took the slide down laughing all the way. The younger Claire couldn't get over how much energy the elder Claire had; she was the total opposite of Joan.

Several hours, a pitcher of iced tea and plate of cookies later, the younger Claire had the whole story of Justin's Sunshine Files, the tale of the treehouse and the mystery of the hidden paintings. Even a certain bullfrog was mentioned which brought on a fit of laughter. That's how John found them, laughing uncontrollably like giddy school girls.

"And what's so funny?"

"Just telling Claire about the frog."

"Have a good laugh now. I spoke with Brian earlier. He and Justin are planning to come up tomorrow along with a certain young man. So get it all out of your system now. You know how sensitive he is. And I think on Saturday half of Liberty Avenue will be camping out here." John announced with the air of authority that he used at his job sites.

"Of course, John. And you know I would never do or say anything to hurt Brian."

"I know mother but you know how he gets." John gave his mother a kiss to her forehead and went into the house for his own glass of iced tea.

"What does John mean about how Brian gets?" the younger Claire asked.

"I believe what John is referring to is what they call 'Queen outs.' I've only been a witness to a couple of them but they are rather spectacular."

"I'm not sure I know what you mean."

"Well, I guess you could call it a hissy fit. Let's just say there's a lot of shouting, cursing, pacing and stomping off. It usually ends by Justin finding Brian and working some magic that only Justin can do. Then all is right with the world again and life as we know it continues. It's rather a fascinating sight to witness." Now Claire had her tongue in her cheek as she said it all with a straight face. The younger Claire got it and again the fit of giggles returned.

John came back out and looked at the silly women and shook his head. Just then Beau made an appearance. "Come on, Beau. Bobby will be home soon and he'll be hungry. Let's go make him dinner and leave these two out here. I better make a new batch of iced tea. I think there's maybe something wrong with this one."

John and Beau went back into the house leaving the Claires to their silliness.

After the ladies calmed down, the younger Claire's curiosity got the better of her. "Ms. Anderson, you've mentioned Justin, is he Brian's partner? I met him once when my son..." Claire looked down at her sandals, ashamed of how she and her son behaved toward her brother.

"It's okay. Brian's gotten past that. Yes, Justin is Brian's partner and a very remarkable young man. He's got his own strong stubborn streak in him."

"He'd have to, to be able to put up with Brian's shit. Oh, I'm sorry, I guess that wasn't very kind of me."

"It's quite all right. You speak the truth. Those two have a very unconventional relationship. And it hasn't been easy for them. They each had their own battles to fight and win before they could call themselves partners. Those two can have some very loud discussions but have no doubt that they love each other. They're both in tune with the other's emotions. Brian is fiercely protective of Justin. I think he'd fight anyone if he thought Justin was in danger. And Justin, he's the keeper of Brian's heart; he would do anything for him. They're so different, and yet they compliment each other. You'll see."

"And who is Bobby?"

"I'll let him answer that." Just then Bobby drove up and got out of his car. He was still putting in long hours at the Honey Bear, preparing to go back for his last year at Penn.

"Good evening Claire," Bobby said, addressing his partner's mother and giving her a kiss to her cheek.

"Hello Bobby, busy night?"

"Not too busy. It will be next weekend though. The Honey Bear does a Labor Day bash. It gets crazy."

"Bobby, I'd like you to meet Claire. She's Brian's sister."

Claire looked up at the handsome redhead and extended her hand. Bobby took her hand to shake it. Claire left it there for a moment. Even in the dim light of their candles Claire could see how appealing the redhead was.

"Hey, baby." John came out the door to greet his partner. Bobby dropped Claire's hand as he was engulfed in John's hug.

Claire couldn't help but murmur, "Why are all the pretty ones gay?" John ushered his tired, hungry partner into the kitchen for a late supper.

"Ms. Anderson, if you don't mind I'm going to go to bed. This has been one hell of a day and I think tomorrow may be more of the same. I'm a little tired and Bill is expecting me bright and early for another session."

"Of course, dear. Have a good night. I'll see to it that you're up in time for Bill."

"Thank you, for everything. Good night." As she was about to go in the door Claire caught a glimpse of Bobby and John in a lip lock. She turned and said, "Um, they look a little busy, would you say good night to them for me?" The elder Claire now very used to her 'boys' being busy nodded her head with a smile and a wink.

Friday morning was very busy for the Anderson family and for the younger Claire. Big John drove Claire to the farm for her session with Bill and then brought the boys' stuff as well as Claire's to the cottage. It was agreed that if the whole gang was going to come up for the weekend that it would be better for Claire and the boys to stay at the cottage Friday and Saturday night. John was a bit nervous regarding the amount of homosexuals that were about to descend upon the farm. Claire and the boys would be in for a real eye opener.

The elder Claire went to the cottage to air it out and stock the refrigerator, then gave it a dusting. When satisfied, she returned home. John, Claire and Bobby went in to town to pick up the additional groceries they would need to make it through the weekend. With that many mouths to feed, they each took their own cars and met up at the store. Brian, being Brian had called ahead to the store and arranged to have a good portion of the bill charged to him. If Claire and John could put up with his crazy family, paying the food bill was the least he could do. Even though John knew he could afford the bill, he also knew Brian's need to pay it. His baby brother was a force to be reckoned with.

After stowing away the groceries, the three spruced up Claire's already neat home and John brought the air mattress and sleeping bags up into the treehouse. He knew that Gus would insist on them sleeping there.

By five in the evening Justin's Cherokee was coming up the drive.

"Breathe, Brian, just breathe. Everything is going to be okay."

"Justin, I can't help it. I don't care about myself but if those brats say one word or do anything to hurt Gus, I'll do what that doctor prescribed," Brian said in an almost sub-vocal tone that the sleeping Gus couldn't hear.

Justin, who rarely saw Brian's true rage, knew that Brian would do what he threatened if he thought Gus was in danger. "Brian, Gus will be fine. We won't leave him alone with your nephews. And tomorrow there will be a whole slew of people to protect him including Lindsay. Now you know she won't let your nephews get within a hundred yards of him if she feels threatened."

"I guess so. Okay, let's get this over with." Brian woke up Gus and helped him out of his car seat. Justin took out the cakes and pies Debbie and Emmett baked in anticipation of the Saturday party.

Brian carried the still groggy Gus into the house. John, hearing the car pull up had come running out to help Justin.

"Hey, big bro."

"Hey, little bro. Hi Gus."

"Hi Uncle John." Gus said to his uncle while peering over his father's shoulder.

"How was the ride up?"

"Quiet, we left before the traffic got heavy." Justin answered giving Claire a hug and a kiss.

Looking around like a nervous cat in a room filled with rocking chairs, Brian asked the question. "Where are they?"

"They're not here. Not yet," Claire answered in a quiet reassuring tone. "Steve will bring them here shortly and they'll stay at the cottage until you leave on Sunday. They need the time to learn how to be a real family and quite frankly I'm not sure if they're ready to handle you and your extended family. Especially Emmett. I adore the sweet boy but he does take some getting used to."

They all laughed at the thought of the homophobic spawn meeting the way out and proud Emmett.

"Let's get dinner started," Claire announced and everyone pitched in to help including Gus.

At 6:30 Steve pulled up and Claire and the boys piled out. Steve decided to accept Claire's invitation for dinner so that he could supervise this first meeting. Steve believed that the boys would behave but he wasn't so sure about Claire and her reaction to Brian. Brian had grown up a lot during the summer, Claire was just starting.

Claire Anderson, et al, were putting the finishing touches to the dinner as Steve and the younger Claire and boys came in. Big John smiled at the boys and received a warm greeting in return. Brian made sure that Gus was protected in Justin's arms before he and little John squared off, staring nervously at each other for a moment like gunfighters of the old west.

Brian loomed over his nephew. "You still a brat?"

"Yeah," Little John said defiantly looking up at his uncle but with a soft smile. "You still a fag?"

Claire gasped and was about to berate her son. Brian stopped her with a look.

"Yeah. And since we're clear on that, let's eat." Brian smirked then reclaimed his son from Justin and sauntered in to the dining room. Everyone let out the breath they were holding and followed Brian and his son.

After everyone at the table had been served Brian took the opportunity to introduce Gus to his Aunt Claire and his cousins. Claire saw the resemblance that Gus had to Brian when he was a child. But instead of the frown that Brian had grown up with, Gus had the sunny expression of a happy child. He politely said hello and candidly engaged in conversation that was put to him. Claire couldn't believe that this child was Brian's son. She expected a miniature version of Brian that included the snarky comments and foul mouth. What she saw was a sweet child who was enjoying his childhood. Claire also marveled at the relationship between Brian and Justin. She couldn't get over that Brian could be so giving, so obviously loving. This was not the Brian Claire had grown up with. She was beginning to see the Brian that the elder Claire had told her about.

Peter had commandeered Justin and they were lost in conversation about the up and coming art show. Justin told Peter that he would ask Claire if the boys could go. It was Peter who noticed the additional party at the table. A certain redhead who remained quietly eating dinner at Big John's side.

"Um, Uncle John, who's that?"

"Peter, how rude of me. I'm sorry, Bobby, I should have introduced you. Peter, John, this is my partner, Bobby."

"Partner? As in business partner?" John ventured hopefully.

"No, John. Bobby is my life partner."

"That means you're a f..."

"I'm gay."

"But you don't look gay, you don't act gay! How can you be a fag?"

"John, apologize to your uncle, now!" Claire screamed.

"No, Claire. He can ask me anything. John, what does gay look like and how am I supposed to act."

"You, you ride a horse like a cowboy and you don't wear pink."

"John, I grew up on a farm. I've been riding horses since I was Gus' age and as for pink, I don't own anything pink and I doubt that Brian does either."

Justin leaned over to Brian and whispered, "What about that tie?"

"Shut up and it's cerise."

"Oh."

"But you didn't say anything," Little John continued.

"John, since when does my sexual orientation concern anyone else but myself, Bobby and possibly my mother. It's no one's business."

"But..."

Gus sensed that the good mood they all were experiencing had significantly changed and he saw his new cousin, John, grow red in the face.

"Daddy, why is John getting red and why is he yelling at Uncle John?"

"Gus, your cousin doesn't understand about Uncle John and Bobby or me and Justin."

"Oh, well that's just silly, Daddy. I understand good. I can explain it to him."

Brian gestured to his son to go ahead and try to explain. He could do no worse than anyone else.

"John, it's very simple. Uncle John loves Bobby and Bobby loves Uncle John. Just like Daddy loves Justin and Justin loves Daddy. And my Mommy still loves Mama even though they don't live together anymore." After his very eloquent explanation, Gus picked up a carrot stick and began to munch.

Big John, Brian and their partners looked at Gus then at each other and shrugged. Then they also picked up carrots and began to crunch on them. Steve looked around the table, shaking his head. "Out of the mouths of babes," he observed.

The elder Claire stifled a laugh and continued to eat her dinner. The spawn feeling out- numbered and out-done by their baby cousin had no choice; they picked up their own carrots and ate. Only the younger Claire sat with her mouth gaping wide.

"Claire, dear, I think you better eat before your dinner gets cold, don't you?"

"Uh, yes ma'am." Claire snapped out of her stupor to pick up her fork.

Dinner continued with little further ado.

When dinner was completed, Claire brought out one of Debbie's apple pies and the vanilla ice cream. No one had any objections and slices of pie with a good helping of ice cream went to everyone. Shortly after dessert was done Steve went back to the farm. They had their own end of season party to prepare for but he promised that he and Bill would see Claire and the boys off on Sunday.

Justin finally got to ask Claire if she would allow the boys to go to the art show featuring Kinney's work. She was surprised that both Peter and John were interested but she made no objections. Justin showed Peter the paintings that were hanging in Claire's hall.

"Hey, Sonny Boy, you want to play a game of chess before bedtime?" Brian asked Gus.

"Sure, Daddy," Gus responded as he got the little travel set they always had with them and plopped down on the living room floor opposite his father. John edged his way closer and sat near Gus. Gus turned to his cousin, "Do you want to help me play? Daddy is really good."

"Sure," John answered.

Throughout their game, Brian kept a straight face as the boys consulted with each other regarding their next move. Brian still won but the three had a great time.

Big John and Bobby were outside having a heated discussion. Or rather it was Bobby who was trying to discuss something with John and it was John getting overheated.

"Bobby, do you have to live there for the whole week?"

"Yes, I do. It's too long of a drive to be going back and forth. I'll come home on the weekends and this is my last year."

"Bobby, I'm going to miss you. I've gotten used to sleeping with you. I don't think I can sleep without you next to me."

Brian heard the anguish in his brother's voice and knew exactly how he felt. He felt the same way when Justin had left him for the fiddler and when he went to LA. Brian never felt more alone than when Justin wasn't there. Brian reached over to Justin who was quietly sketching a portrait of the spawn and lightly touched his arm. Justin put down his pad and moved closer to Brian. Silently, Justin reassured Brian with a gentle caress to Brian's brow, easing the creases that were forming. Neither spoke but their gestures spoke volumes. Brian pulled Justin onto his lap. He loudly sighed then rested his chin on Justin's shoulder. Gus came over and climbed up into Justin's lap and yawned. Justin smiled and Brian nodded, it was time to get Gus settled down for the night.

Brian's sister witnessed the exchange between her brother and this man-child, Brian called his partner. She found it incredible that Justin wielded so much gentle power over Brian. And that Brian had the patience to deal with the young man and the even younger Gus. Brian and Justin got up to take Gus to bed.

Meanwhile, Bobby was able to calm John and they were sitting next to each other on the porch swing. "John, after we settle Gus, do you want me to go with you to bring Claire and the boys to the cottage?"

"No, thank you, Brian. I'll only be a few minutes."

"Okay. Gus, say goodnight to everyone."

"Goodnight," whispered the sleepy Gus.

Brian and Justin took the tired boy to the treehouse. John drove Claire and the boys to the cottage.

Up in the treehouse, the boys prepared for bed. Even though the days were still hot, the nights began to get cool. They were grateful for the warmth of the thick sleeping bags. Brian, happy with the two most important people in the world next to him, fell peacefully asleep.

John dropped off Claire and the boys at the cottage. He showed them around and informed them that breakfast would be around eight if they chose to join them at the main house. Claire would call if they wanted John to come and get them. If not they could come by at anytime. The Liberty Avenue contingent threatened to make their appearance at about one. John bid his sister and his nephews a goodnight.

When John got back to the house, Bobby had already finished helping Claire with the remains of the dishes and had gone to bed. Claire, relishing in the quiet, took advantage of it to work on her knitting. John kissed his mother goodnight. Before he went to the room he shared with Bobby, Claire spoke up.

"John, I am so proud of you. You handled little John's inquisition well." John smiled, proud of his mother too. And of Gus and Brian. This evening could have turned out to be a disaster. But thanks to Gus and Brian's wicked sense of humor, the evening turned out well.

"Goodnight, Mother."

"Goodnight, Jackie."

In their room Bobby was waiting for his partner. He knew that this school year and their separation was going to be rough but it couldn't be helped. Bobby was so close to completing his degree and he already had offers from law firms around Pennsylvania. He knew that John would be supportive, after he got over this little bump.

As soon as he got into the room John lost all his clothes and tackled his partner. Their coupling was passionate and frenzied. Afterwards, the lovers snuggled together.

"Baby, did I hurt you?"

"No, John, you never hurt me."

"I thought I might have been too rough. I know it's stupid but I'm missing you already. It's like I just found you and now you're leaving me."

"Shh. I'm not leaving you and unless I have a big test to cram for, I'll be back here every weekend. I'll be crabby and annoying and ignore you while I work on a paper or something. You'll be happy to see the back of me every Sunday night when I go back to campus."

"I'm happy to see the back of you now." John said as he caressed Bobby's pert bottom, his fingers gently slipping into Bobby's well fucked hole.

"Mmm." Bobby murmured into John's neck as he leaned into the touch. "And you know I love your backside too. Roll over, baby, I want to make love to you."

John rolled onto his belly and let his lover work his own magic.