- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

When the convoy of vehicles began arriving, Claire hung back not knowing if she would be accepted or vilified by them. God only knew what Brian had told them about her. She watched from the kitchen window as person after person got out of the vehicles and was hugged and greeted by Brian and Claire. Brian hadn't been kidding when he said there was a hugfest coming. Who would have thought that Brian would be in the forefront of it?

Everyone seemed so happy to be there, to be together. Claire wondered how Brian had found these people. She hadn't found anyone even close to this. Her husband had married her because she was pregnant. It probably would have never happened if she hadn't been. And he had resented her forever after. She closed her eyes and breathed wondering what her life might have been if she had made different choices.

Maybe this was the moment for her to find out. She sucked in her gut and went out the door.

"Hi Sweetie," a gushing and tall young man said to her. She vaguely remembered this was Emmett.

"Hello," Claire replied.

"I met you at your father's funeral. I hope this is going to be more fun." Emmett stopped there thinking how awful that must have sounded. "Don't mind me," he added. "I'm just a silly queen."

Claire's frown relaxed and she smiled and then giggled. "Nice to meet you, Emmett," Claire said extending her hand.

"Thanks, Sweetie," Emmett said giving her hand a little shake.

"I don't think anything could be less fun than my father's funeral, so this has to be a step up."

Emmett laughed. "Stick with me, girl, and I'll make sure you have a good time."

Claire looked horrified. "But aren't you gay. I mean … I'm a woman. You don't want to be hanging around me." Claire stopped, knowing how stupid that all must sound.

"Don't mean we can't have a laugh or two together," Emmett replied. "I like women. They're my best friends."

"Well, Emmett, I have to admit that I'm a little nervous about meeting Brian's … family. It's nice of you to welcome me in."

"We're a fucked up lot, but we look out for each other."

"That's good to know," Claire admitted thinking that she could learn to like Emmett a lot. In fact she already did. A loud redhead approached. Claire remembered Debbie Novotny from a few … incidents with Brian. "Mrs. Novotny," Claire said, "how are you?"

"I'm fuckin' lovely," Debbie said smacking her gum. "Call me Debbie. I think we've met once or twice, but not for a long time. How's your mother?"

"Fine. Same as always."

"That's too bad."

"Yeah," Claire agreed with a snort. "She never changes."

"What about you?"

"I … believe I'm in the process of changing," Claire said with just a bit of pride.

"Then let's celebrate," Debbie said pulling Claire into a hug.

"Everyone's down at the stream having a swim," the elder Claire announced. "Why don't you all head on down there and take a dip. The weather's perfect for that. Leave your stuff in the cars until you come back."

Everyone did some rummaging around in their luggage for swimsuits and Claire hung back watching.

"What's the matter, dear," Claire Anderson asked.

"I don't have a suit. I didn't know there'd be swimming."

"I could lend you a swimsuit. I think we're about the same size."

"I … I don't know how to swim," Claire admitted. "I've always been afraid of the water … afraid of so many things." Claire stared off into space.

"The water's not deep. You don't need to know how to swim. Come up to my bedroom and we'll get you outfitted. I'll even go in with you."

"You will?" Claire stared at this amazing woman. Her giving and kindness seemed to know no bounds.

Within minutes everyone had made their way down to the stream to join Justin, John, Bobby, Gus and the spawn. The younger boys were swimming in their underwear not feeling ready to reveal all. John and Bobby swam naked enjoying the cool water. The two Claire's clad in their swimsuits carried mountains of towels for everyone.

"Hey, Bri, join us for a skinny dip," Bobby called.

"I'm much too modest for that," Brian protested.

Justin swam up to his lover and grabbed Brian's leg tipping him over and making him fall fully clad into the stream. A major water fight ensued with everyone taking sides and splashing for all they were worth. Surprisingly Claire and her sons joined Brian's side and put up a valiant fight before the superior numbers of Justin's side made them call for a ceasefire.

Claire climbed dripping from the stream and her namesake handed her a towel. "That was fun," the young Claire laughed. "It's been a long time since Brian and I were on the same side in anything."

"We made a good team out there," Brian said peeling off his sopping shirt and deciding to keep on his equally soggy shorts. "If Justin didn't have so many minions, we would have won."

"The Kinneys were always the underdogs," Claire stated.

"Not anymore," Brian stated. "I think the Kinneys are doing just fine." He smiled at his sister. She stood on her tiptoes and kissed Brian's cheek. "What was that for?" Brian asked surprised.

"Thanks for saying that and for letting me be on your side today. And for being on mine this last while."

Brian stared at his sister not sure what to say.

"Daddy," Gus called.

Brian turned and was hit with a barrage of water from all the people who had been on Justin's side in the water fight, including his son.

"Cheap shot, Sunshine," Brian said. "Using my son against me. Time to pay." Brian cannonballed himself into the water swamping Justin with the strategic placement of his landing. Justin coughed and sputtered.

"Daddy!" Gus called. He had water in his mouth and eyes and nose and was struggling in the shallow water.

"I got you, Sonny Boy," Brian said reaching for his son and lifting him safely against his chest while the little boy got rid of the excess water. "Are you okay now?"

"Throw me!" Gus ordered having recovered his breath and good humor.

Brian heaved his son out into the middle of the stream where the little guy went under only to pop up with a big grin on his face. He swam towards his father yelling, "Again, again!"

"I am going to be so stiff by the time he tires of this," Brian said to Justin.

"I'll help you work out the kinks later," Justin promised with a wink and a sultry look.

"I'll hold you to that," Brian said as he heaved Gus into the middle of the stream once again.

An hour later every one was cooled off and stomachs were starting to grumble. The elder Claire with the rest of the ladies went back to the house to change and start lunch. John and Brian led the rest back and the sleeping arrangements were all confirmed. Everyone separated so that they could dry off, change and help get the lunch on the table. By three the whole family was sitting at the tables.

John had again arranged the tables in a big square so that everyone could be seen and join in conversation. Little John decided to sit near big John and Peter wanted to sit close to Justin hoping to talk more about drawing. The younger Claire was swept away to sit with Debbie and Jennifer. Both had been filled in by Justin about the farm and the counseling that Claire participated in. Jennifer and Debbie both decided to set good examples for Claire on how acceptance and tolerance was preferable to prejudice. Claire learned a lot that afternoon about the pain that certain young men sitting at the table went through growing up gay.

The atmosphere was relaxed, everyone was enjoying themselves and the spawn were behaving. Nary a snarky comment was said by anyone. And when it was, it was all said in good fun.

For most of the afternoon Claire was awestruck by the variety of people that graced the table. Emmett was obviously gay while Teddy looked like a typical accountant. Other than the fact that they were wearing matching wedding bands Claire couldn't tell that Mikey and Ben were gay. Nor had she know about John until she was told. Claire was equally floored by how Lindsay and Brian were together. In any other setting the two of them and Gus would look like any other family. She couldn't believe that Lindsey was a lesbian. It took all of Claire's resolve not to stare at any of them with her mouth hanging open. She realized how much time she had wasted with her prejudices. And the poor example she set for her sons. She had no close friends of her own, but all of Brian's friends had accepted her with open arms. Claire was determined to learn to set aside any preconceived notions about people in the future.

"Lindsay, has Mr. Bloom set a date for the art show?" Claire Anderson asked.

"Not yet, he's still working on the Kinney paintings but he's shooting for early October before the holidays start. He's already started to advertise for gay artists to submit their work. Justin, will you be submitting any pieces?"

"I'd like to. I did some sketches of the local wildlife while I was staying here. I may submit one of them."

"As long as it isn't that frog, Sunshine, you can submit whatever the hell you want." Brian quipped and everyone barked out a laugh.

"Justin, when you have the chance...oh, excuse me." Lindsay's cell phone began to ring and she recognized Sidney Bloom's private number. "Yes, oh sure, he's right here, hold on. Justin, it's Sidney, he'd like to tell you something."

Lindsey handed her phone over to Justin. Brian raised an eyebrow and Lindsay shook her head. She had no idea what it was about. The whole family quieted while Justin listened to what Sidney was saying.

"Holy fuckin' shit! You're shitting me, right? Oh my god! Can I tell everyone, the whole family is here, I mean it's not a secret is it? Okay, thank you for telling me and yes I would love to see it. Thank you. I'll be there. Bye."

Justin hit end, then handed the phone back to Lindsay and sat back down, his bottom hitting the metal chair with a smack. He stared off then his eyes began to get watery. Debbie and Jennifer were the first to notice.

"Sunshine, you okay?"

"Justin, honey, what is it?"

Brian turned and swung Justin around in his chair. He cupped Justin's chin to look into the boy's eyes.

"Spill."

"That was Mr. Bloom."

"We know that. What did he say to you to start your allergies? Did something happen to the paintings?"

"No, nothing like that. You know how sometimes when they authenticate paintings they x-ray them? Sometimes they find another painting underneath or a different sketch. Good canvas is expensive, so if we make a mistake or change our minds, then we just don't start on a new canvas, we reuse the old one. Lots of times they'll keep the x-ray cause the hidden picture is often prettier than the finished piece." Justin paused to take a breath and wipe away a tear.

"Justin, did they find something bad?" Lindsay asked.

"No, just the opposite. One of the paintings, the self portrait of Kinney sitting with Patrick. It started out as a study of Patrick, a nude, but Kinney must have changed his mind. He made some notes and scribbles on the canvas. Most of it couldn't be read but it did have Patrick's full name. I know Patrick's last name."

"Sunshine, don't keep us all in suspense. What the fuck is Patrick's name!" Debbie shouted.

"Taylor. Patrick Taylor." Justin and Brian stared into each other's eyes. For several moments the family, the front yard, the world did not exist. All that existed was the two of them. The implications of the find overwhelmed them and they needed to find a quiet spot to be alone together. The stunned family watched as the elder Claire found a steak bone. She wrapped it in a towel and then suggested that Brian and Justin go bring it to Beau in the barn. Brian nodded, grabbed the bone in one hand and Justin with the other. The lovers walked off to the barn to present the bone to Beau.

"Un-fucking-believable!" Debbie said loudly.

"That's so beautiful!" Emmett cried, desperately needing a tissue.

"Even in a past life those two belonged together," Teddy observed.

"I think it's sweet," Lindsay said.

"Do you think those two will ever come out of the barn?" Hunter huffed out. "Maybe I should go check on them," he added with a sly grin.

"NO!" Michael, Ben and Debbie yelled back at him.

"Don't worry, they won't be in there for long," Big John said.

"What makes you say that, John?" Ben asked.

"Just observing Justin's plate."

"His plate? What's his plate have to do with anything?" Lindsay asked.

"It's still half full; the boy's still hungry. They'll be back soon," John stated in a Brian tongue in cheek way.

The whole family gaped at John then cracked up. With the drama over, the barbecue continued.

A few minutes later Brian and Justin reappeared. It wasn't the need for sex that sent them to the barn, just the need for privacy while Justin got his allergies under control. And for Brian to provide his silent comfort. Brian was still uncomfortable showing intense emotion in public, he also needed privacy to get control. Everything was back to normal when they joined the family at the tables.

"Well that was quick," remarked Teddy.

"Some of us are very efficient at what we do, Theodore. You should make a note of that," Brian snarled back.

"Yes, sir, boss," Teddy whimpered.

Brian sent out his warning glare to those family members who'd recognize it and everyone began to dig into their lunch with gusto.

Brian's sister didn't quite understand the significance of what happened and quietly whispered to Jennifer. "What just happened? Why did Brian and Justin walk off? I know about the paintings but I don't understand the name Taylor."

Jennifer nodded and whispered back. "Let me formally introduce myself, I'm Jennifer Taylor, Justin Taylor's mother." Then Jennifer smiled.

All Claire could do was gasp. Now she really knew that she was living in the Twilight Zone.

The sun was beginning to head for the horizon and the heat of the day was cooling off. Michael and Ben unfastened their bikes from the back of the car and prepared to go for a ride. John stood at a distance watching them. Ben gently elbowed Michael and nodded towards the boy.

"Should we ask him if he wants to come?" Ben asked.

"But he doesn't have a bike," Michael replied.

"Maybe Hunter won't want to come with us."

"Hunter," Michael called, "are you going to come for a ride with us?"

"Sure," Hunter replied knowing that would get him out of helping to clean up. He had mastered the normal teenager mentality over the months living with Ben and Michael.

"Now what do we do?" Michael asked.

"John, do you want to go for a ride with us?" Ben asked. John nodded. "I'll stay back and you and Hunter go with him. Hunter's mountain bike should be the right size for John."

"There's a bike in the barn that Hunter could use," Big John suggested. "It's too big for John, but Hunter should be fine on it."

"Is that okay with you, Hunter?" Michael asked as John went to get the bike.

"Sure … whatever." Hunter just wanted out of the chores.

"Do you still have that comic book shop?" John asked Michael as they got ready for the ride.

"Yeah."

"Could … could I come and read some comics sometime?"

Michael smiled. A polite request. "I think that could be arranged." They set off on their ride with a smile from each of them.

"Hey, everybody, I brought Twister," Emmett announced with a laugh.

"Fuck, no!" Brian reacted.

"Not me," Ted said.

"I'm too out of shape," Debbie and Carl said together. "But I love to watch," Debbie added.

"Well, I'm playing," Emmett stated. "Come on, you guys. Someone? Anyone?"

"Me, me," Gus called. "Daddy, come with me."

Brian groaned knowing he was going to be playing Twister in a few minutes whether he wanted to or not. "Sure, Sonny Boy, no problem." He clenched his teeth and stood up. He could hear the snickers behind his back, but chose to ignore them.

"Be good," Justin said giving Brian's hand a squeeze.

Peter watched in fascination. His Uncle Brian was going to play Twister. "Come on, Peter, you should play too," Brian said.

Peter smiled at the invitation. He got up and moved to the vinyl square that Emmett had laid out on the lawn. He looked up at his uncle who calmly put his hand on the boy's shoulder. Peter thought maybe he could get used to this kind of family.

Bobby decided to join in too. Justin said he would do the spinning. After a few rounds of placing body parts the people on the sheet were getting suitably wound up with each other. Brian did his best to protect Gus from being crushed if the grop collapsed.

"Emmett, left hand on green," Justin instructed.

Emmett shot his hand between Brian's legs and grabbed the only available green square. "I love this game," Emmett gushed.

"Especially when your face is up my ass."

"Because my face is up your ass."

They both looked up as chuckles and laughter were heard from all assembled.

"Gus, left foot on red."

"Help, Daddy," Gus said trying to make his foot reach.

Brian picked up his son and plopped him on Emmett's back. Emmett bounced the little boy a couple of times bringing squeals of delight from Gus. Peter watched for a second before Brian and Bobby attacked tickling him mercilessly. Everyone rolled onto the ground laughing and cracking imaginary threats of death and dismemberment. Peter gave one last giggle as Brian finally stopped tickling him.

"That was fun, Uncle Brian," Peter said his face flushed from his exertions to escape.

"Couldn't have done it without Bobby's help, and Emmett and Gus," Brian added.

"Okay, girls' turn," Emmett said.

Reluctantly all the women got up and played a round. Despite their initial protestations that they didn't want to do it, they all had fun, Claire included.

Brian took Gus' hand and walked over to the treehouse. He sat on the end of the slide with Gus on his lap. Peter followed them.

"Uncle Brian," Peter began. "Could John and I sleep up in the treehouse tonight?"

"You like it up there?" Brian asked.

"Yeah, it's fun and … safe."

Brian knew that feeling only too well. "It's Gus' treehouse. You better ask him."

"Gus, could John and I sleep up there with you tonight?"

Gus studied this person he had barely met.

"Sonny Boy, Peter is your cousin. He'll make sure that you are safe. You'll look after Gus, won't you?" Brian asked pointedly.

Peter nodded his head vigorously.

"Okay daddy," Gus said putting his arms around his father's neck.

"Justin and I will be sleeping in the barn. So will John and Bobby. If you guys need anything, come and get us."

"We will," Peter promised.

Justin walked up. He had finished directing the latest round of Twister getting everyone sufficiently entangled that they collapsed in fits of laughter.

"We've been kicked out of the treehouse, Sunshine," Brian said with a smirk.

"Oh, why?"

"The younger Kinney clan is taking over for the night."

"Where are we going?"

"To the barn."

"The barn? Umm, hmm, fond memories," Justin said with a blush that could barely be seen in the dying light of the day. "If I remember correctly, I have some kinks to work out for you."

"Some very bad kinks," Brian said with tongue in cheek. He set Gus down and pulled Justin into a kiss as Michael and crew rode up the driveway.

"Don't you two ever get enough? Get a room," Michael called.

"Looks like we're getting the barn," Brian grinned.

John watched the affection between his uncle and Justin. He still didn't understand being gay, but he liked the easy way these people behaved around each other. They always were hugging and kissing and being nice. He could definitely get used to that.

Little John, Peter and Gus settled into the treehouse. They each had a flashlight and a battery operated lantern was on the little table. Claire packed up a small cooler with drink boxes of milk and juice and plenty of fruit and other snacks that growing boys could sink their teeth into. It was a little early to sleep so they set up the chess set and checkers.  Brian settled them in but was reluctant to leave his son with the former spawn. Justin met him on the balcony level.

"Something wrong?" Justin asked softly.

"No, not really, it's, I, I'm not sure if I trust them with Gus," Brian admitted.

"Brian, Gus is a smart little boy. He'll come running if there's any trouble and I think your nephews have really changed. Besides, it's been a long and fun filled day. They'll be asleep soon. They can't get into too much trouble when they're sleeping." Justin gave his worried partner a hug then led him to the slide. Brian sat down on the edge and waited for Justin to sit on his lap. With Justin comfortably atop of Brian, Brian pushed off and the two sailed to the ground, laughing all the way down.

Lindsay met them as they reached the porch. "Claire and I are going to camp on the porch tonight. Michael, Ben and Hunter are going to the cottage. Claire and I are both a little nervous about the three of them up there without a parent but I want to trust that they'll be fine. So we'll take the porch. Your brother has already inflated the air mattress for us and we have sleeping bags. It'll be like a slumber party."

"Are you sure, Lindz? It would be a tight fit but I could sleep up there with them." Justin offered.

"No, this means a lot to them and to Claire. We'll be able to hear them and you guys are very close by. It'll be okay."

"You're sure? Claire snores," Brian snarked.

"No worse than Mel," Lindsay countered and the three shared a laugh.

With the latest sleeping arrangements now confirmed, Claire and Lindsay got comfortable on the large air mattress and started comparing notes about little boys. And their fathers. As Brian and Justin left the house to go to the barn, Brian got the distinct impression he would regret that his sister and his best friend would be spending the night together. He knew by morning all of his secrets would be revealed. He couldn't help the little growl that rumbled in his throat.

Justin knew that Brian was fearing the impending girl talk so he decided that a little distraction was called for. When they rounded the side of the house, Justin pulled Brian into a close embrace, pulling his neck down and aggressively shoving his tongue down Brian's throat. Caught off guard, Brian melted into the embrace forgetting all about Lindsay and Claire and that Brian was supposed to be the aggressor in their relationship. Brian felt himself grow instantly hard and allowed Justin to guide them both into the barn.

Finding a soft patch of straw, Justin pushed Brian in the chest and the two landed in the hay. Before Brian could complain about his bossy bottom, his bossy bottom attacked Brian's lips and began a systemic all out assault on every inch of Brian. Up in the loft, in the dim light of one lone lit light bulb, John and Bobby who were witnessing something that no one ever saw, were quietly taking notes.

Not allowing Brian to think, Justin continued his assault on Brian's body. Pushing every button, tapping every erogenous zone known to man and to Justin. Brian was a mound of clay for Justin to mold.

After ridding Brian of his clothes and his own, Justin sucked down Brian's dripping cock. He held Brian's slim hips firmly in place while he sucked the legendary organ. At the right moment Justin stopped his ministrations to Brian's dick and he crawled up to near Brian's ear. Gently nibbling Brian's earlobe, Justin whispered, "You want me, don't you, need me inside you."

Taking the grunt from Brian as an affirmation, Justin sought out his necessary supplies from Brian's shorts pocket with his hands while his mouth reacquainted itself with Brian's balls and the soft sensitive skin beneath them. Brian arched, spreading his thighs, confirming his permission. Justin quickly prepared himself and gently stretched Brian's hole. Brian, enjoying his very bossy aggressive bottom, growled out, "Harder!" Not needing a second invitation, Justin drove himself roughly into Brian, pausing only a second to allow Brian to adjust to the sudden intrusion.

Justin, understanding that Brian was not in the mood for gentleness, began to fuck his lover for all that he was worth. He angled himself to hit Brian's sweet spot over and over again making his man sweat and cry out. Justin, who learned his lessons well from the master, kept fucking Brian for what seemed like hours.

"Justin," Brian whimpered softly. Justin fisted Brian's cock until he sprayed both their chests. Only then did Justin allow himself to cum and he filled his condom deep within Brian's hot tunnel. Moaning loudly, the spent Justin collapsed onto Brian's chest. Brian held on to Justin as their heaving chests threatened to knock Justin off. They lay there together, not wanting to move, remaining connected.

Up top, John and Bobby were a little embarrassed to be a witness to one of the most intimate acts they had ever seen. This was different from the other times Brian and Justin had sex. This was no little barn yard romp or streamside tryst. John and Bobby were not only turned on by what they saw but they were awed by it. The little blond knew just how to tame his top.

The stirring below caught their attention again.

"You okay?" Brian whispered in his sex husky voice.

"Yeah, you?" Justin answered.

"Yup. What brought this on, little boy?" Brian asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Thought you needed it. My gerbil took up residence in your brain. You were beginning to think too much. I thought you needed a distraction. Besides, it did work out those kinks, didn't it?"

"Yes, it did. Come on, now that we gave John and Bobby an eyeful, let's get up there and get some sleep. I think Beau wants his hay back." The lovers laughed softly together then helped each other up, cleaning each other with Brian's t-shirt, donning their shorts.

"Hey!" Brian called, looking up the ladder. "Is it safe to come up? Wouldn't want to interrupt anything we inspired, now would we."

Two heads peered over the edge followed by duel raspberries.

"Oh, very mature." Brian yelled as he began to climb the ladder. Justin hung back a little to enjoy the view then he too ascended the ladder. The two couples finding comfortable and secluded spots, rolled out their sleeping bags then snuggled deep within them.

"Brian?"

"Yes, John."

"You don't do that often, do you?"

"What, get man handled by my bossy bottom? No, not too often. Why?"

"I don't know, just wondered. He looks like he's very good at it."

"He is but we won't tell him that, will we. He already has the biggest ego in Pittsburgh, next to mine, of course," Brian said knowing full well that Justin was listening to every word, and pulling Justin close into his chest. "John."

"Yes, Brian."

"I don't share." Brian growled out.

"Wouldn't dream of it little brother, wouldn't dream of it," John called out in his most sincere voice.

"Because..." Brian started then was abruptly interrupted by Justin's repeat assault.

Following Justin's example, the redhead wrapped up in John's arms attacked his man.

On the floor of the barn, Beau buried himself in the hay futilely trying to drown out the noise.