- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

Preparing for the up and coming long weekend, the whole family got into celebration mode. Debbie, Emmett, Lindsey and Jennifer started cooking and baking. Brian ordered the other essentials and arranged for them to be delivered rather than have the Anderson convoy to the grocer. Extra sleeping bags were brought and a couple of tents were arranged for. Claire and the boys would stay at the cottage unless the boys slept in the treehouse. Then backup plans were made. Even Justin's best friend, Daphne was able to make the trip.

With that many hands on board it was also agreed that the whole family would help to close down the farm for the winter. Steve and Bill had all the chores divvied up so that if they started early on Saturday, it would all be finished by Saturday night. Sunday would be their day to PAR-TAY!

And party they did.

All sorts of board games were in constant play. There was swimming, horseback riding, bike riding, hiking and cooking. The grill was in use around the clock. Wine and beer flowed in moderation in consideration of all the youngsters that were around. There was music and dancing and an occasional tryst in a secluded spot.

By Monday the family was ready to return to Pittsburgh, a little sad to be leaving their new extended family behind but happy knowing that Claire, John and Bobby would be visiting in October.



******************************************************************



John drove Claire to Pittsburgh early Saturday morning on the 1st of October. The opening of the Kinney collection would be later that night and would then run through the month. At the end an auction would be held, the proceeds to go to the Farm. Some of the paintings already had 'silent bids' made for them. There were also a dozen statewide submissions from gay artists including a few Justin Taylor originals.

Jennifer opened her home to Claire. John would stay at the loft and he hoped Bobby would be able to make it. This was Bobby's last year at Penn and he was up to his pretty red head in work.

The opening was an exhibition of gay pride. Emmett's party planning company did the catering and the decorating. Kinnetik handled the PR. Most of Liberty was there as well as some of Pittsburgh's most affluent. It was a colorful sight to behold.

Rainbow bunting adorned the furniture and Emmett had outdone himself with the food. The waiters wore rainbow bowties and cummerbunds. He wanted nothing but the best for the showing of one of the first gay artists in America. He also wanted everything to be special for Brian and the budding artist Justin Taylor.

Brian looked around the gallery. All of his "family" was there, but not his actual family. Claire and the spawn had not yet appeared and he wondered if they would. It had been a month since they had returned to Pittsburgh from the Farm. Brian had only talked to Claire once. The boys seemed to be better. Claire wasn't calling and complaining about them all the time. She had asked Brian to keep his distance for a while until she tried the techniques Steve and Bill had taught her. She was going to counseling sessions that they had arranged for her and the boys. Brian hoped it was working out all right, but them not being at the opening wasn't a good sign. Maybe their homophobia was keeping them away from a gallery of art done by homosexuals and a roomful of people most of whom were gay. Brian shook his head and glanced at the door once again.

His breath caught in his throat. There were Claire and the spawn standing in the doorway and looking terrified as they scanned the room for a familiar face. Claire had on a lovely black dress and shawl. The boys were freshly scrubbed wearing slacks, white shirts and ties. They even had dress shoes which replaced the ever present sneakers that kids wore. Brian knew Claire didn't have much money. She must have made a hell of an effort to get all these new things and bring the boys there. Brian moved over to them.

"Claire," he said. She turned and smiled at him. "You look lovely," Brian said meaning every word of it. She had obviously had her hair done too. She looked better than he had seen her look in a long time.

Claire blushed. "Thanks," she said softly.

"And you guys don't look half bad either," Brian added smiling at the boys.

They each made a face, but then smiled at their uncle. "She made us dress like this," John said. "I refused to come dressed like some sissy, but she made us."

"Be careful, kid," Brian smirked. "You're in a gallery full of sissies."

"Fuck!" John said and then he grinned. "Sissies aren't so bad … sometimes."

"Still a brat, I see," Brian observed.

"Still a fag," John countered and they both laughed.

"Feeling better now?" Brian asked them.

"Better? What do you mean?" Claire asked.

"You looked terrified when you first came in. I thought you were afraid to be around so many fags."

Claire chuckled. "I'm terrified of coming to the opening of an art show. I've never been to anything like this in my life."

Brian studied his sister for a moment. He could tell she was nervous, but also excited. "Well, don't worry. I'll show you around. Everyone's here, so you'll know lots of people."

Just then Debbie came up and took Claire's arm. She proceeded to usher Claire and the boys over to the first painting. Brian watched Claire accept a glass of wine. The boys tried to take one too, but a look from their mother made them stop. The waiter returned shortly with glasses of Coke for them. Maybe things were working out for his sister. The boys were certainly on their best behavior so far.

Brian wandered through the gallery and took another look at one painting by Kinney that continued to attract his attention. This was the third time he had found himself in front of it that evening.

Reluctantly he moved away to find Justin. Justin was standing in front of the four pictures he had submitted for the show. He was talking animatedly to some man, so Brian didn't want to interrupt him.

Lindsay came up beside Brian and kissed his cheek. "The show is going great. I think Justin has sold a piece already, and I've sold three from some of the other artists. There's lots of interest in Kinney's work too, so the auction should be a success."

"That's great, Lindz."

"Is something wrong, Brian?"

"No, in fact just the opposite. When are the speeches to begin?"

"Soon. Are you nervous about speaking?"

"Me? I speak all the time."

"But this is a little different."

"Yeah," was Brian's reply. He wasn't exactly sure about this whole thing.

Just then he heard Sidney Bloom's voice calling for everyone's attention. The room quieted and Sidney began. "Welcome to the Sidney Bloom Gallery. We're really pleased with the turnout tonight. I hope you are all enjoying the show." There was a round of applause indicating that they were. "I want to introduce someone to you who will say a few words about how this exhibition came about. He is the great great great grandson of John Aidan Brian Kinney, the featured artist." There was a round of applause. "Many of you already know this man, the head of Kinnetik Advertising, Brian Kinney."

Brian moved to the raised area and gazed out at his family and friends and lots of strangers. He silently stood before the assembled throng waiting for them to quiet. Brian cleared his throat.

"I don't plan to take up too much of your time. I know you didn't come here to listen to me." Brian paused for a moment. "I never thought I'd be standing here recognizing a member of my family." There were some chuckles from those who knew Brian and his dysfunctional family history. "However, times change." Brian let those words hang in the air. "I'd like you to recognize the artist's great great great granddaughter, my sister Claire, and her two sons, John and Peter."

Amidst the applause Claire gave a little wave and the boys looked thunderstruck at being introduced to the whole crowd. Brian smiled at them.

"There are some other people who deserve a lot of credit for bringing this show about. First, Sidney Bloom and his assistant Lindsay Peterson." Applause. "I'd also like you to meet my half brother John Anderson and his mother Claire Anderson." They waved and smiled. "They have been caretakers of these paintings for many years, and it's through them that we have this legacy." Applause. "As you know the Kinney pieces will be auctioned off and the proceeds will go to fund a farm which helps troubled children find their way in this tough world." Brian smiled at John and Peter who looked at the floor. "But finally I want you to meet the one person who made this all possible through his innate curiosity and his dauntless persistence, my partner, Justin Taylor."

Brian motioned Justin to come up and he planted a big one on his partner to the cheers of the crowd. Debbie could be heard above them all yelling, "Way to go, kiddo!"

Brian released Justin but looked into the pure blue eyes. He had found something on the internet that he had memorized. He wondered if he could actually say the words. They were so unlike him and yet so like the new philosophy of life that he was developing or maybe that he was hoping to follow. He cleared his throat and began.

"I found this on the internet, and in part because of the Kinney Irish connection, I'd like to say:

Work like you don't need the money.
Love like you've never been hurt.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

"That's what I intend to do from now on, and that's what John Aidan Brian Kinney did long before people thought he had any right to do so."

The applause was deafening and Brian leaned in to kiss Justin once again. When they stepped down from the raised area and the music had resumed, they were surrounded by their family and friends. Everyone congratulated Brian on his speech and teased him about his new philosophy of life. Brian didn't care. He was happier than he could ever remember being.

At the end of the night Brian was standing in front of the Kinney and Patrick portrait. This was the one that had drawn him to it all night. In the painting Kinney was sitting on a boulder near a stream with Patrick standing facing him, their fingers touching. All night long people were coming up to Brian saying how much he resembled Kinney. Brian thought that John favored the artist more than he did, simply because Kinney had a serene look about him. It reminded Brian of the look John wore when Bobby was around and when John talked about Bobby. Brian didn't realize he wore that same look when he was with Justin or when he thought of Justin.

Patrick Taylor was fair skinned and blond. Again an uncanny coincidence. It was obvious that they were in love. Next to the painting was the x-ray taken of it. The faint penciling of the original portrait was visible, a study of Patrick.

As Brian stared at the painting Sidney Bloom joined him.

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

"Yes, it is. I'd like to buy it and the x-ray too. I'll match the highest bid. I … there's something about the way they're looking at each other. It feels familiar."

"I'm sorry Brian but this one is not for sale. Claire held this one back."

"But why? It's got to be the best of the lot. It could bring in so much."

Brian was so disappointed. He wanted the portrait, not just for himself but for Justin. If it wasn't for Justin the painting would still be buried in the root cellar.

Brian began to sulk.

"Brian? What's wrong?" Justin stood beside his partner and saw how low Brian's shoulders had sunk.

"I wanted to bid on this painting, I wanted us to have it but it's not for sale. Do you think if I ask Claire, she may reconsider?"

"I don't know Brian. She's almost as stubborn as you are." Justin said with a sly grin. Brian was too devastated at the thought of not having the painting to notice Justin's expression. Nor did he notice Claire joining the slowly growing group in front of the Kinney.

"Brian?"

"Claire, please, I really would like to own this, for Justin."

"Brian, it's not for sale." Brian's heart crashed and he suddenly felt Justin's allergies attack him.

"Please, Claire."

"Brian, I'm not selling but..." Claire continued holding Brian's face between her hands. "I will give it to you and Justin when the show is over. Including the x-ray." Claire wiped away the tear that slowly descended Brian's cheek. Brian picked up the woman and swung her around, laughing.

"Thank you! Thank you, thank you. I promise to give it a good home."

"I know you will." Brian gently put Claire down then glared at his innocent looking partner.

"You knew, didn't you? You let me go through all that and you knew. You'll pay later, big time," Brian growled at Justin.

"You promise?" Justin asked with his sunniest smile.

"Oh yeah, I promise!" Brian snorted back. Then he grabbed his partner, gave him a noogy and then a passionate kiss with promises of more where that came from.

Opening night was a resounding success.



******************************************************



"Ladies and gentleman, I called you all in here today to say congratulations and thank you. Our third quarter profits have shot through the roof. Theodore is quite pleased and I may even...."

"BRIAN!!! You have to help me!"

"Hello Claire, so nice to see you. And what brings you here, again; interrupting my STAFF meeting, again?"

"I saaiidd, you have to help me."

"Please don't tell me it's your spawn. Cause I don't think I..."

"No, Brian, nothing like that, I, uh, um...."

"Spit it out, and don't worry, my staff is very loyal and won't say a word."

"I met someone at the gallery and I'd like your help in picking out a new outfit. You always have the greatest taste in clothes. And then I thought we could have lunch together. I'm sorry I interrupted."

"Ladies and gentlemen, I call lunch. We can do this later. I have an important date with my sister. Cynthia...!"

"I know; hold all calls. Have fun, you two!"

"We will. Come on, Claire. Now tell me all about this guy and let me introduce you to a man named Armani."


The End.
SabinaThymeSunshine is the author of 78 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked The Farm also liked 652 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Sunshine Files . The previous story in the series is Treehouse. The next story in the series is Joan Vs the State of Liberty.