- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

The Kinney men were sitting on the screened porch drinking coffee while Claire and Justin cleaned up from dinner.

"I haven't seen much of Bobby lately," Brian observed. "Is everything all right between you two?"

"We're great. Bobby has been pulling extra shifts at the Honey Bear. He has another payment due for his schooling soon."

"You don't help him out?"

"I've offered but he wants to do it himself."

"Where have I heard that before?" Brian chuckled.

"Justin feels the same way?"

"Yeah, he did take a loan from me a couple of years ago after his father kicked him out and refused to pay for his schooling."

"Did his father refuse because he's gay?" John asked.

Brian nodded. "His father would pay if he renounced who he was and went to Dartmouth."

"That's the shits! Thank God Claire didn't feel that way."

"I can't imagine Claire being that judgmental," Brian observed. He quite admired the woman.

"She had a lot to deal with when she was young. Being an unmarried mother back then wasn't easy."

"What did she tell you about your father?"

"That he had to go away and that he would come back for us if he could," John said sadly.

"And that was enough?"

"For … many years. And, and … then the teasing started as I got a little older. I only wanted to be the same as everyone else, be accepted."

"Is that why you fought the idea of being gay?"

"I guess so," John said carefully. "I didn't want it to be true. I thought it was a phase. I tried to take it out on any woman I could find. But I was never happy. It was never enough."

"And with Bobby?" Brian asked.

John smiled. "It's great. I know who I am now. I love him."

Brian looked at his brother, at how easily he said the three words that Brian had avoided for so long. He didn't know what to say, so he changed the subject. "I was wondering if it might be a good idea to bring my sister up here to see how the boys are doing."

"I think Steve would tell you that it's usually not a good idea until just before they go home."

"Why is that?"

"All the progress they have made can be wiped out by a parent who gets weepy and gives in to them."

"You don't have to worry about Claire. She'd never cry over her demon spawn," Brian said sarcastically.

"You'd be surprised. They've been gone for a couple of days now. I bet she's worried."

"You'd lose that bet," Brian stated.

"Then call her and see," John challenged.

Brian raised an eyebrow. He wasn't sure he wanted to talk to his sister. What could he tell her anyway? That the boys hadn't told him to fuck off quite as many times today. They still cringed when they had to be near him … and so did Claire if he was truthful. She hated him and that's where the basis of the boys' hatred came from. "I don't think so," Brian said slowly.

"Suit yourself," John said standing. "I'm going over to the Honey Bear to spend some time with Bobby while he works. I'll bring him home later." John headed out the door.

"See ya' later," Brian responded idly. He was lost in thought about calling Claire. He knew he should. Some part of him wanted to. He took his cell phone out of his shirt pocket and stared at it. After a minute he hit the last number on his programmed calls.

"Hello," Claire said.

"It's Brian."

"Oh, thank God. I've been so worried. Is everything all right? Are the boys behaving?"

"They're fine. They seem to be making a little progress," Brian said trying to keep it non-committal.

"Where are they exactly?" Claire asked.

"On a farm. They're working hard, learning some of the basics of life."

"Basics of life? What does that mean?"

"They have to work for their keep. If they don't do their chores they don't get fed."

"Oh my God," Claire moaned. "They're going to starve to death."

"Claire, they're not starving. I had lunch with them and they really packed it away."

"Are you telling me the truth?"

"No, I'm lying," Brian said sarcastically. "I just called you up to torment you." He was about to hang up when he heard Claire say something he thought he'd never hear.

"Brian, I'm sorry." Brian's finger hovered above the "end" button but he waited. "I'm really sorry. I know you're not lying. You didn't have to help me. Thank you for taking them." There was a long pause. "Brian, are you still there?"

"I'm here."

"I meant what I just said."

Brian blinked back some tears that were threatening. "I'll call you in a few days and give you a report."

"Thanks," Claire said as Brian cut the connection.

Two thank you's in the same conversation. Brian couldn't remember the last time anyone in his family had thanked him for anything. They were happy to take, and they expected him to give. But they never thanked him. They seemed to think he owed it to them because he had made a success of himself … no thanks to any of them.

Brian pocketed his phone and went in the house to look for Justin. He needed a reality check after that surreal conversation with his sister.

******************************************

"Justin?"

"In the dining room."

"Wow, so this is your hidden treasure from the attic?" Brian said as he pulled up a chair and sat next to Justin.

"Yup, there's got to be at least fifty of them. I wish I had a magnifying glass. They're not all signed or the signature could be hidden in the sketch. Many artists do that. The penciling is a bit faded; I don't want to touch them too much."

"Now, I know you belong back in school. You sound like the History Channel again."

"Thanks, I think. Where's John?"

"He went to the Honey Bear to watch Bobby's ass at work. My big brother has got it real bad for that redhead. I'm surprised he ever lets Bobby out of his sight."

"They're in love, Brian. You can understand a little how John feels, can't you? Searching around for years for someone to love, for someone to come home to, to make love to, for someone to love you back."

"Yeah." Brian pulled Justin onto his lap and sighed into the blond's ear. "I'm beginning to understand lots of things."

"I think I've had enough of looking at old sketches. As wonderful as they are I'd rather look at you, naked, in the treehouse."

"Hmm, I think that can be arranged. Don't you want to go to the Honey Bear, and stare at Bobby's ass too?"

"Nah, I think my time would be better spent staring at your tight little ass."

"And that's the only thing that's little on me, twat."

"Asshole. Let's go take a nice shower. We still smell a little like the farm. I want to smell only you when we go to bed."

"Sounds like a good plan." Brian helped Justin put the sketches into the old portfolios and secured them with the straps. They bid Claire a goodnight then headed for the shower.

After their shower and donning sweat pants and t-shirts, Brian and Justin grabbed their lanterns and took the short trek across the front yard toward the treehouse.

"Brian? Are you going back to Pittsburgh tomorrow?" Justin asked as he started up the ladder.

"Yeah. I have to. As much as I'd like to hang around here and watch your bubble butt climb up and down this ladder all day, I'm needed at the office. We scored a few new clients last week. They all need babysitting until their campaigns are in full swing. Why, you want to stay on here?"

"I was thinking about it. It would be unfair to leave your nephews all for John and Steve."

"John has to go to work too. It's Bill I really feel sorry for. He's taking the brunt of the little demons. But I agree with you. I know parents leave their kids here all the time but I would feel better if you stayed, sort of en loco parentis."

"My feelings exactly and then I'll have time to look over the sketches more carefully. I may ask Claire if there's a craft shop or art supply store in town. I'd like to pick up a better portfolio for the sketches."

"Uh huh, and maybe a sketch pad or two for yourself?"

"Well, it is very pretty here, lots of subjects for me to sketch and paint."

"So, I gather that one of my credit cards will be staying with you."

"Brian, I will pay you back."

"I know you will. Besides like most good little gay boys you are a very good shopper. A credit to your race and to Emmett. Now that fag knows how to shop." The lovers shared a laugh; they both had been on the receiving end of one of Emmett's shopping sprees.

"Bri, have you noticed that little John kinda likes your brother?"

"Yes, I've noticed." Brian said with a sad tone that Justin could hear. "I'm sorry, Brian, I didn't mean to upset you."

"You're only stating the obvious. My nephews never liked me and when they learned I was gay, that put the nail in my coffin. John spent all his life in the het world. He doesn't look or act gay. Or what people think we should act like."

"Brian, do you know how ridiculous that sounds. I know many women who would swear on their bras that you weren't gay. And very few at Ryder or at Vangard were aware of your sexual orientation."

"True, my ass doesn't swish like someone in this treehouse."

"You like the way my ass swishes."

"Yes. I. Do." Brian punctuated each of his words with a kiss to the nose of the ass swisher, making Justin giggle. "I wonder if the shit is going to hit the fan if John and Peter find out that John isn't as straight as they think he is."

"You mean the horse shit?"

"Yeah, that too."

"I guess we'll find out. Brian..."

"Justin, it doesn't matter. I don't expect them to suddenly grow a conscience and decide to like me. I just want them to become more human, more tolerant. There's been too much hatred in my family. I'm tired of it." Justin sensed that some of Brian's protective walls were about to spring up. He knew he had to act quickly before Brian closed himself off.

"Brian, you know what else I'm very good at?"

"What?"

"This!" Justin pounced, catching Brian unguarded and rolled on top of the man. Pulling Brian's t-shirt up, Justin latched on to a nipple and sucked as if his life depended on it.

"Fuck!" Brian cried out as all the blood drained from his brain and filled his cock. No more thoughts of demon spawn, out of the closet brothers and horse manure were possible. The blond and his ministrations were the only thoughts that Brian could muster. The last thoughts that registered in Brian's mind were the words spoken by Justin.

"I'll show you just how good my ass can swish." Brian could only grunt.

******************************************

Sunday dawned bright and sunny. As Brian and Justin slid down from the treehouse, they looked up at the clear, blue sky. There wasn't a cloud in sight. It was going to be downright hot.

After breakfast Brian and Justin made their way over to the farm. Brian thought he would like to take another ride and they needed to get it in before he had to leave to go back to Pittsburgh. Brian suggested they ride the horses through the woodlot and then circle back to the stream. They could take a swim and then fuck on the grass … provided a certain giant bullfrog was nowhere to be seen.

When they arrived at the farm, they saw Steve talking to Bill in the yard and walked over to the two men.

"Morning, lads," Steve said with a smile.

"You're smiling," Brian observed. "Guess you haven't had to kill the two little treasures I brought you."

"Not yet," Steve admitted.

"Is that a possibility in the near future?" Brian asked. Something In Steve's tone of voice made him wonder.

"They're a hard lot," Bill admitted shaking his head.

"I thought things were going better," Justin said.

Steve grimaced. "That's what's so hard about them. Just when you think you're making progress they revert to what they were like when they first came here."

"What happened?" Brian asked.

"They got up this morning … late. They missed their chores for breakfast. Had no explanation of why they were late, not that that would really make a difference. They know their responsibilities. They just choose not to do them."

Brian shook his head. "Their mother often let them away with things that she shouldn't have. She either screams at them or ignores their misbehavior. They've learned to ignore her."

"Sounds like we need to work with their mother before these two go back home," Steve said.

"You do that?"

"Yeah, when necessary, and it's often necessary with kids like these. The kids don't know how to behave because the parents never knew how to be parents."

"I think you just described my family in one sentence," Brian said sadly.

"Anyway," Bill said, "You guys here for a ride?"

Justin nodded. He looked over at the bunkhouse and could see the demon spawn watching them. "Are they allowed out?" he asked.

"Not unless they're prepared to work," Steve replied.

"Could they saddle the horses for us?" Justin asked.

Steve nodded. "Peter, John, come over here." Both boys brightened up, probably thinking that they had been sprung. They ran over to the men. "Go saddle the two horses your uncle and Justin used yesterday."

"Can I go too?" John asked.

Brian looked at Steve. Steve decided to be the heavy. "You didn't do your breakfast chores. You get no privileges until you make up for that."

"So I can't go?" John asked looking crestfallen. Then his face hardened and turned downright ugly. "I hate this fucking place. I can't do anything except work, and wait on you assholes. I'm not doing anything for any of you fags." John bolted for the bunkhouse as Brian made a grab for him.

John escaped and Steve grabbed Brian. "Let him go, Brian. He'll learn his lesson eventually," Steve said.

"What about you?" Brian said to Peter.

Peter smirked. "John has finally come to his senses. I'm not doing any more work either." He sauntered towards the bunkhouse to join his brother.

"Fuck!" Brian reacted.

"They think they've won, but when they get hungry later today, it'll be a different story."

"Watch them. They're dangerous when they work together," Brian said as he went into the barn. He wanted to get on a horse and ride far away where there were no horrid nephews, only blue sky and blue eyes and a willing body.

Riding on the horses that were so gentle that the most inexperienced rider could handle, Brian and Justin made their way through the thicket toward the stream. At the bank, Brian jumped down and tethered his horse. He helped Justin down off his mount and tied the horse to another tree. The lovers stripped and took a dip in the cool stream. After some teasing and splashing around, Justin led Brian to the bank of the stream to lie in the warm grass. Brian looked up nervously.

"Brian, what's the matter? You look as jumpy as a cat."

"Can't help it."

"You worried that your nephews may see us?"

"No."

"What then?" Justin asked, very concerned for Brian's fragile emotional state.

"The frog," Brian mumbled.

"The what?"

"The frog," Brian said louder and blushing with embarrassment. "I'm looking for that damned frog. I don't want to be slimed before I go back to Pittsburgh."

Justin cracked up with laughter. As hard as he tried to contain himself, he couldn't. Justin knew that he'd pay dearly for this indiscretion but he couldn't help it. Brian looked too cute for words.

Brian did his best to look insulted and hurt that Justin was so inconsiderate but Justin's laughter was way too infectious. Brian snorted then giggled then burst into a belly laugh. The lovers laughed like hyenas; the tension brought on by the terrible duo melted away. Brian grabbed Justin and hugged him close to his chest.

"Thank you."

"For what?"

"For this, for making me laugh, for being you." Justin looked up to gaze into the hazel eyes that were sparkling with flecks of gold. He silently thanked whatever gods that were watching, blessing him with this complex bundle of contradictions known as Brian Kinney. Justin kissed Brian then let Brian lead their way in making love.

Afterwards, the lovers washed away the sweat and cum in the stream, dressed then remounted their horses for the ride back.

"Justin, let's have lunch back at the house. I don't want to ruin my good mood by dealing with the spawn."

"Good idea, besides, it's a long ride back to the Pitts. You don't need to start out with road rage.

"Claire, after lunch I'm heading back to Pittsburgh. Do you mind if Justin stays for the week? I'll come back next weekend and bring Gus if Lindsay gives me the okay."

"Brian, that's an excellent idea. I'd love to see Gus, and Justin and I can spend more time with the sketches."

"He's got you wrapped up in his little mystery, doesn't he?" Claire smiled at Brian and nodded. Still keeping the discovery of the letters from John and Brian, the time alone with Justin would make it easier for them to read more of the letters.

"Perhaps when you return, your nephews will have made more progress."

"One can only hope," Brian replied only half believing what he said.

With lunch finished and Brian all packed, he kissed Justin, gave Claire a hug and a kiss and said his goodbyes to John and Bobby. They waved as they watched the Cherokee drive down the lane.