- Text Size +
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Is It Too Late?

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

When the doorbell rang, I was sitting in front of my computer trying to sketch out my next painting. I really wanted to get the idea down but the person ringing my bell wouldn’t stop. 

 

“Dad, you want me to get it?” My son Jacob yelled.

 

“It should be some supplies I ordered. Just sign for them.” I yell back.

 

I got back to work on the sketch, but was interrupted when Jacob came running in.

 

“Dad, there is some kid standing at the door he said he wanted to talk to you.” He tells me.

 

I got up and walked to the front door and the kid was looking out in the street. He was carrying a backpack and had a wary look in his eyes when he turned and saw me.

 

“Can I help you?” I ask him.

 

“Are you Justin Taylor?” He asks me.

 

“Yes, and you are...?” I ask him.

 

“Gus.” He tells me.

 

“Brian’s son Gus?” I ask him.

 

“You named me, remember?” He asks me.

 

“Yes I remember, but can I ask how you remember me?” I ask him.

 

“Can I come in?” He asks me. 

 

I let him in the house and lead him to the kitchen. I figured we could talk while I fed him.

 

“Are you in trouble Gus?” I ask him.

 

“No.” He looks down at the empty plate.

 

“Are you here with your moms?” I ask him.

 

“No one knows I’m here, and please don’t tell them.” He begs me.

 

“They have to be worried sick about you. New York is a long way from Pittsburgh. How did you get here? ” I ask him.

 

“Mom was excited when she saw your picture in the newspaper, she was telling Mama about you being in New York. I came here to find you.” He tells me. 

 

“You remember me?” I ask him. 

 

“Mom had pictures of you and told me that you used to date my dad and take care of me for her.” He tells me.

 

“Is there a reason you wanted to find me?” I ask him.

 

“Mama said that you loved me. I wanted someone to care about me.” He sniffles.

 

“Gus, I’m sure they care. We need to tell them you're here.” I tell him.

 

“I won’t go back to them. If you don’t want me I’ll just find some place else to go.” He tells me. 

 

“Gus, does anyone know where you are?” I ask him. 

 

“No.” He tells me. 

 

“I have to at least call someone so they know you're safe. Do you want me to try your father?” I ask him.

 

“Don’t bother with my dad, he won’t care.” He tells me.

 

“Gus, Brian cares.” I tell him.

 

“Mel told me he doesn’t.” He tells me.

 

“I know he does, even if I haven’t talked to him in years, it’s the one thing I know about him. He cares about you.” I tell him.

 

“Then why did he stop coming to see me and give me up?” He asks me.

 

“Did he move away or something?” I ask because I haven’t checked if Brian was still in Pittsburgh.

 

“He still lives there, but we moved to Canada. If he cared wouldn’t he come see me? He hasn't contacted me in two years.” He tells me.

 

“I don't know the answer to that, but trust me, your dad cares about you. If you don't want me to call your mom then I have a friend who still lives in Pittsburgh, is it okay if I have her talk to your dad?” I ask him.

 

“He won’t care.” He tells me.

 

“Dad, who’s this?” Jacob asks.

 

“This is Gus.” I tell Jacob.

 

“Like, my brother Gus?” He asks.

 

“Yes, your brother Gus.” I tell them both.

 

“Gus, this is your brother Jacob.” I tell him.

 

“Dad left you with a kid?” Gus asks me.

 

“No I left your Dad, Jacob kind of came with me.” I tell him.

 

“Jacob, why don’t you and Gus get the spare room ready while I call Aunt Daphne. Gus please make yourself at home, and I promise you can stay until I find out what is going on.” I tell him. I couldn't stand the look of sadness he had, thinking no one cared about him.

 

Jacob took Gus upstairs and I had to wonder what was about to come down on my head. I never hid the truth from Jacob, but I couldn’t share him with Brian and Michael. I told Jacob about Brian and Gus, but that his father wanted to be with someone he loved and it wasn't me. Jacob hasn’t asked to see Brian yet, but I know he will. I know I can deal with seeing Michael and Brian together and not fall apart. I was no longer the kid that was hurt when Brian showed me he wanted Michael. 

 

I still remember standing with Daphne, in front of the comic shop and seeing Brian and Michael practically fucking right inside the doorway. Daphne met me at work and we were walking to the loft, when she saw Brian’s jeep parked in front of the comic book store. We walked over to see if he was headed home. What we saw was Brian and Michael practically fucking each other in front of the door. My heart broke because it was Michael, the one person Brian admitted to loving. Seeing them kissing, I knew it was over. I guess when it’s Michael, Brian can admit he loves him. With Brian, Michael came first and I was expected to live with it. How many times did I have to hear Brian tell Michael he loved him before it sunk in? 

 

I stayed at the loft for a few hours and even called Brian’s phone, but all I got was voicemail, so I figured it was time to cut my losses. I decided to give Brian and Michael what they both seem to want and took the first bus out of Pittsburgh. When I found out about Jacob, I was just happy to have a part of the man I once loved. Daphne thought I should at least tell Brian about Jacob, and the day I called, Michael answered the phone so I hung up. If Brian was with Michael, then Jacob and I weren’t going to cause problems for them. 

 

The only problem with calling Daphne is that she’s still pissed about what happened, but I need her to help me help Gus. 

 

“Daph, I need a favor.” I tell her when she answers.

 

“No hello, just I need a favor. You better be glad I love you, because that greeting sucks.” She tells me.

 

“I got a visitor who is way too young to be in New York, on his own.” I tell her.

 

“Who?” She ask me.

 

“Brian’s son Gus.” I tell her.

 

“How did he even know where to find you? I mean he was a baby when you were still in Pittsburgh.” She ask me.

 

“I guess Lindsay still talks about me to him. She saw the article about the show and Gus took off to find me. Can you see if you can find Brian?” I ask her.

 

“No.” She tells me.

 

“This isn’t about me, it’s about a very confused kid. He thinks that no one cares where he is. Can you put aside the anger that doesn’t even matter anymore and help Gus.” I tell her

 

“Wouldn’t it be better to talk to his mom?” She ask me.

 

“They moved to Canada. I think it would be easier to find Brian and let him deal with this.” I tell her.

 

“I just don’t want him messing with your head again. I doubt he’s going to be thrilled about Jacob, since he didn’t seem to give a shit you left.” She tells me.

 

“I’m fine Daphne. I would want someone to tell me if they had Jacob.” I tell her.

 

“Fine I’ll go see him.” She tells me.

 

“Give him my number if he wants to talk to Gus, but please leave the other shit alone.” I tell her.

 

“You mean don’t tell him that while he was fucking Michael, he was cheating on his pregnant boyfriend. Yeah I’ll leave that one alone.” She snaps.

 

“Daphne, right now I’m worried about Gus. He ran away thinking none of his parents give a shit.” I tell her.

 

“Well he’s probably right about Brian, because he’s a selfish prick.” She tells me.

 

“Daph, Can you just help me?” I ask her.

 

“I’ll restrain from kicking his ass long enough to deliver the message.” She tells me.

 

“Thank you.” I tell her.

 

BRIAN

 

Cynthia buzzed to tell me I had a visitor. I went out to see who it was, and was surprised to see Daphne standing there. Last time I saw her she told me to stay the fuck out of her and Justin’s lives.

 

“Can I help you?” I asked her. 

 

“Not really, but I was sent to tell you to call, if you give a shit about Gus.” She tells me and shoves a piece of paper with a number in my hand. “Do him a favor after you call, lose the number. He doesn’t need you around to fuck with his head.” She tells me and tries to walk out.

 

“Wait, what does this have to do with Gus?” I ask her. 

 

“Apparently Gus thinks his parents don't give a shit and went looking for someone who does.” She tells me.

 

“Who?” I ask her.

 

“Someone who knows that you don’t give a shit about anything. Justin.” She tells me.

 

“Why is Gus with Justin?” I ask her.

 

“Like I just fucking said, he showed up at Justin’s house today, which is in New York, not here or Canada. My question is, why don’t you know your kid ran away?” She tells me and walks out of the building. 

 

“What was that about?” Ted asks me. 

 

“I need you to call Mel and find out where Gus is.” I tell him. 

 

“Brian, you know she still has that order against you.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t give a shit, I want to know if Gus is still with them.” I tell him.

 

“I’ll call, but you know I can’t let her know your involved. It’s the only way I get any information about Gus for you.” He tells me.

 

I walk back in my office and wait for Ted to make the call. When Lindsay and Mel moved, at first I was still able to see and talk to Gus, but when Lindsay and Mel started fighting again, Mel told me she wanted me to stay out of their lives. When I called Lindsay and told her this was bullshit, Mel took the phone and told me I signed away any rights I had to Gus. My lawyer told me that unless Mel and Lindsay agreed for me to see Gus, I couldn’t. 

 

“Brian, Mel and Lindsay aren’t answering me.” Ted tells me.

 

“They better have gone to New York.” I tell him.

 

“I wouldn’t know. Why?” He ask me.

 

“Gus is there with Justin.” I tell him.

 

“Justin is in New York?” He ask me.

 

“That’s what Daphne just told me.” I tell Ted.

 

“What would Justin be doing in New York?” Ted asks me.

 

“Living his life, I guess. It’s not like I know why he left.” I tell Ted.

 

“I still don’t get it, you two seemed to be doing well then he leaves without a word.” Ted tells me.

 

“Probably got tired of me fucking around on him. I need to know the address for the phone number she just gave me. Cynthia, book a flight for New York and text me the address when Ted gets it.” I tell them.

 

I honestly don’t know why Justin left, but hell I didn’t blame him for being tired of my shit. I wasn’t ready for a relationship, but I didn’t want him gone. When I came home to find his stuff gone, I decided to let him do his thing while I did mine. I only found out when looking for him at the diner that he quit without even telling Deb. Jen told me that Justin needed time and didn’t want to see me. All I could think was that he finally realized he didn’t really love me. I went to see Daphne to just make sure he was okay and all I got was a fuck off and a door slammed in my face. At that point I was pissed and went back to my life, before Justin. I always hoped one day he would call and at least tell me what happened to make him shut me out of his life.

 

 

Right now I need to find out what was going on and how Gus managed to get to Justin.

 

JUSTIN 

 

I was waiting for Brian to contact me, but I needed to know how Gus got here.

 

“Gus, how did you get here?” I ask him. 

 

“I sort of stole money from Mom, and got a guy to buy my bus ticket.” He tells me. 

 

“When did you run away Gus?” I ask him. 

 

“Two days ago.” He tells me. 

 

“Your moms must be going crazy.” I tell him 

 

“They probably think I'm staying at my friend’s house.” He tells me. 

 

“Is that what you told them?” I ask him. 

 

“If don’t have to tell them anything, they're hardly around enough to notice. Mama is always at work and Mom is too busy trying to impress her boss, to come home.” He tells me. 

 

“Can I at least call them?” I ask him. 

 

“You can if you really have to, but they never answer their phones.” He tells me. 

 

I call the number he gives me but like he said, no one answered. I leave a message and just hope they were out looking for Gus and would call me when they got the message. I don't understand how the people I knew could make Gus think they don't care.

 

I was making dinner a couple hours later and was starting to believe Gus, no one called. Daphne told me she saw Brian, so he knows. I just don’t understand why he hasn't called. Gus seems resigned that he was right, no one cares. 

 

“Gus could stay with us.” Jacob tells me. 

 

“He will until one of his parents call me.” I tell him. 

 

“I told you they didn’t care.” Gus tells me. 

 

“Gus, when I knew your Dad, you were the one person he would do anything for.” I tell him. 

 

“Then why didn’t you stay and let Jacob know him?” Gus asks me. 

 

“I didn’t want to make your father feel like he had to stay with me.“ I tell him.

 

The doorbell rang and Jacob ran to get the door.

 

“Gus, until someone contacts me promise you won’t leave?” I ask him.

 

“I came here because Mom made it sound like you love me.” He tells me.

 

“I do, you were my buddy.” I tell him.

 

“Dad, he’s here.” Jacob tells me rushing in the kitchen.

 

“Who?” I ask him.

 

“Me, and I think you and I need to talk.” Brian tells me looking at Jacob.

 

“Can we handle one thing at a time?” I tell him.

 

“Gus, where are your moms?” Brian asks him.

 

“Home.” Gus replies.

 

“Why aren’t you home?” He asks Gus.

 

“I told you he doesn’t care.” Gus stands and starts walking out of the room.

 

“Gus, don’t walk out of here.” Brian tells him.

 

“NO, I HATE ALL OF YOU AND I WANT TO STAY WITH HIM.” He tells Brian and runs out of the room.

 

“GUS.” Brian yells. His answer was a slam of the door upstairs.

 

“Dad, is it okay if I go check on him?” Jacob asks me.

 

“Yeah, take your plates upstairs and let me talk to Brian, okay.” I tell him.

 

Brian stands and watches Jacob leave the room. I honestly wanted to go with Jacob, because Brian isn’t really looking too happy at me. 

 

“Since I fucked that up, would you like to tell me about Jacob?” Brian ask me.

 

“I had a son, named him Jacob. Anything else you need to know?” I tell him.

 

“Yes, is there some reason you didn’t tell me?” He asks me.

 

“Yes, but it doesn’t matter anymore. Jacob and I are fine without you.” I tell him.

 

“What did I do so wrong that you would leave and not tell me?” He ask me.

 

“How about we just worry about Gus, who you haven’t bothered to see in two years?” I ask him.

 

“I couldn’t.” He tells me.

 

“That’s all you want to tell me?” I ask him.

 

“You talk and I will.” He tells me.

 

“This is about Gus, not my son.” I tell him.

 

“You mean OUR son.” He corrects me.

 

“Sure, but if you want to see OUR son, you need to explain why you haven’t seen yours. I’ve been trying to convince Gus you love him, but it’s hard to tell him you do when I don’t know what caused you to be absent from his life for two years.” I tell him.

 

“Mel and Lindsay used the fact that I signed away my rights to keep me out of Gus’s life.” He tells me.

 

“Shit, I knew that would bite you in the ass someday.” I tell him.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me about Jacob?” He asks me.

 

“I didn’t want to have to share Jacob with Michael, the way I was apparently sharing you.” I tell him.