- Text Size +

MEL 

 

On the way to Deb’s house, I realized all I need to do is let Brian see Gus and all this will end. I won't have to worry about either Ron or Russo leaving me to take the blame for all of our fuck ups. A part of me wants to just say fuck it and leave with my daughter. Lindsay isn't worth this much trouble. I could start over with Kate, who doesn't have a Brian in her life. The only problem is, Lindsay’s a vindictive bitch and knows everything. I could see her using it as a way to integrate herself back into Brian’s life, she and Michael have that in common. It took every ounce of acting skill I had to tell her I still loved her on the way here, but I need her to keep her mouth shut. She sat there and tried to act like it was about Justin, which is crap. All she cared about at the time was that her sister got a third wedding and her parents wouldn’t offer to help her. I wonder how much she would care if she knew her beloved Brian had been sitting in the hospital every night with Justin. She was thrilled when Brian seemed to spend more time with Gus than with Justin. I didn’t tell her about his nights at the hospital, because it made it easier for me to convince everyone what a selfish piece of shit he was. I was also staying away from Justin because I felt guilty for my part in the trial. I’m ashamed to admit it, but Justin’s leaving was a relief, every time I saw him, all I could see was myself sitting in Russo’s chambers. I took everything that happened in Justin and Brian’s life and twisted it to sound like they both got off on playing games with people. Truthfully even without my help the defense could have stood in Liberty Diner and asked anyone who Brian fucked over to talk. So what I did was save them the time of asking scorned gay men to tell what they knew about them. 

 

I pulled up and went straight to the door. Hopefully Lindsay’s here and I can cart her ass back to the hotel. I really don’t want to listen to Deb tell me what a bitch I am. Carl opened the door and seemed surprised to see me. He moved to the side and let me walk by. Jenny is in the kitchen eating with Deb.

 

“Deb, honey, I need to make a call.” Carl tells her and walks out of the house, shutting the door.

 

“Hi Deb, I see Lindsay brought Jenny to see you.” I tell her.

 

“I doubt you were going to.” She tells me.

 

“Of course I was, I just needed to clear up things with Gus first. I was hoping to see Lindsay here, I think it’s time for her and I to re-evaluate what we did two years ago.” I tell her.

 

“You mean when you forced Brian out of his son’s life?” Deb asks me. 

 

“I mean when I was trying to do what was best for my child. It would be only a matter of time before Brian chose to trick over seeing his son.” I tell her.

 

“Mel, you really like making excuses don’t you?” She tells me.

 

“It’s the truth, he left Gus with Justin and went out one night. At the time Justin was nothing more that a repeat bed warmer for Brian. It was irresponsible, and just showed me that Brian couldn’t be trusted with Gus.” I tell her.

 

“The way you and Michael rewrite history is amazing to me. I almost wonder if Jen would be a better choice to raise Jenny. At least she can admit to what she did, with her only excuse being her love for Justin. I let Brian take the blame for all Michael's problems because it was easier than looking at myself. I can at least say none of it was Brian, it was me smothering my son. Which made me change letting Michael get away with his crap. All of you need to take a long look at where your problems are really coming from, because Brian and Justin aren’t it. My son spends all his time blaming Justin because Brian wouldn’t return his feelings, instead of seeing that Brian doesn’t love him that way. You blame Brian for the fact that you left Gus and Lindsay with no way to take care of themselves every time you took off. Unlike you, Brian took care of his son. Lindsay only benefitted from Brian wanting his son to be taken care of, because Gus was all Brian cared about. Which to me, makes him the better parent. Before you start about Justin taking care of Gus, remind me who was watching Gus for you and Lindsay when you two wanted to go out? If my memory is correct, it was Justin. I guess it only became a problem for you when Brian asked Justin. How is your affair Brian’s fault? How is Brian to blame for you leaving Lindsay and Gus with no way to support themselves, while you swan off like you owed your child nothing? I have to tell you, for claiming you wanted to be Gus’s mom you fell down on the job practically the minute he was born.” She tells me. 

 

“I'm here to get MY DAUGHTER, not listen to the world according to Deb. I'm not going to listen to you tell me I'm a bad mother, when Michael is the proof of your mothering. You raised a spoiled brat, who will never take responsibility for his actions. Doesn’t say a lot about you, does it?” I tell her. 

 

“Nope it doesn't, but instead of punishing Brian for Michael not growing up, I realized I needed to change what I was doing. You're still trying to show Brian who has the bigger dick. In case you haven't figured it out, Brian does.” She tells me. 

 

“Yet you can excuse Brian for leading Michael on. Why is he excused from hurting everyone?” I ask her. 

 

“Why can't you see beyond the lies you and Michael tell each other?” She asks me. 

 

“So Michael was lying about Brian coming onto him, then dumping him. Maybe we should ask Justin what it felt like to have to constantly have Brian betray him with your son.” I tell her. 

 

“We could ask Sunshine, but I don’t think he sees it the way Michael told everyone. Obviously he didn’t think you were right either, because the first person he went to was Brian, when Gus showed up at his door. He knew the one thing you keep forgetting about Brian.” She tells me. 

 

“What, that Brian liked Justin’s ass enough to keep him around for more than one night?” I sneer.   

 

“No, that Brian loved Gus from the minute he was born. That no matter what Gus thought because of what you told him, Brian loves his son. He knew Brian wouldn’t have abandoned his child unless there was a reason. I'm proud of Sunshine for knowing Brian in a way none of us ever tried to.” She tells me. 

 

“He left him and took Brian’s kid from him too. Justin seems to also know Brian shouldn't be around a kid.” I tell her. 

 

“I'll admit keeping Jacob away was selfish, but listening to Brian tell Justin that to him it was different than what you girls did, made it easier for me to understand it was. Justin would walk through fire for his son. If having to share Jacob was what Jacob wanted, he would have put aside his feelings and brought his son to Brian.  He wouldn't have let his child suffer for his and Brian’s mistakes. You want to know what Gus’s running taught me?” She asks me. 

 

“That Lindsay can't take care of her kid?” I snap.

 

“That a true parent wants to make their child happy, not use him to one up someone. To me it says a lot that you refer to Gus as Lindsay’s child.” She tells me. 

 

“I'm not going to stand here and listen to you saint ‘Brian Fucking Kinney’. I'm here to get my daughter and leave. Say goodbye to her, because I'm through letting her be around people like you.” I tell her. 

 

Deb and I stand staring at each other. I hear the door open and see Carl and another officer standing there. 

 

“I kept her arguing to give you time.” Deb tells him. 

 

“Time for what?” I ask her. 

 

“For him to have Officer Kilpatrick get here to arrest you.” She smiles. 

“For what?” I ask him. 

 

“Right now, for your part in Justin’s case. Who knows if there's more, but Ron is rushing to cover his ass. I'm sure when Internal Affairs gets through with Russo and the DA, they are going to want to talk to you. Take her in.” Carl tells the officer.

 

“I'm not speaking to anyone without an attorney.” I tell him. 

 

“Good luck in finding one, because apparently a lot of morally upstanding attorneys seem to have done favors for Russo. Most of them are going to stay away from anyone in this case.” Carl tells me. 

 

“I want Jenny kept away from Deb.” I tell him. 

 

“Tell us where you want her to go. From what I've been told, your family would leave her on the street. Michael would just let his mother take care of her, so she'd end up here anyway. Give me someone who would be better than Deb and I'll see if they can keep her.” He tells me. 

 

“Justin, I want Justin.” I tell him. 

 

“Why?” Deb asks me.

 

“Because he'll love her, the way I do.” I whisper.

 

“I'll talk to them in the morning. Tonight she needs to stay here.” Carl tells me.

 

“Tell him I need to talk to him.” I beg.

 

“Let's hope he is willing to talk to you.” Deb tells me. 

 

JUSTIN 

 

Carl called to ask me to come to Deb's house. He told me Mel was taken in and asked to see me. Brian didn’t like the idea of Mel wanting to talk to me. We decided to take the boys to Mom's house and go to see Carl together. I walked in to see Jenny crying and did what I would have done if it was Jacob or Gus.

 

“We can't have pretty girls crying.” I say, as I kneel down to wipe her eyes.

 

“I'm an orphan.” She cried harder.

 

I look up to Deb to see if she could make any sense of this.

 

“Mel signed her custody of Jenny over to you. She had Brad bring her the paperwork.” She tells me. 

 

“Why would she give Jenny to Justin?” Brian asks. 

 

“She said she wanted someone who would love Jenny.” Carl tells us.

 

“Are you going to love me?” Jenny whispers to me. 

 

“I already do, because you're you.” I whisper back. 

 

“She thinks Michael is going to agree to this?” Brian asks Deb.

 

“I think she's actually worried about Jenny. We all know that Michael isn’t father material. He can't support Jenny and doesn't have a place for her to live.” She tells me. 

 

“What about you and Carl?” I ask her. 

 

“We'd love to keep her but I think Jenny should be raised with Gus. She and Gus love each other. I think Jacob would love having a sister too. Carl and I are both getting on in years and want to be grandparents who can spoil all our grandchildren.” Deb tells me with tears in her eyes.

 

“Deb, if you want to keep her, I'll help you fight Michael and Mel.” Brian tells her. 

 

“Of course I want to, but Carl and I work crazy hours and would end up having to find other people to keep her. Carl gets called all hours of the night.” She tells him. 

 

“No one wants me.” Jenny tells me. 

 

“No Princess, it’s that we all want you.” Brian tells her. 

 

“We just want to make sure you’re happy.” I tell her. 

 

“Gus said you love him, but he's afraid if he calls you Dad you'll go away.” Jenny tells me. 

 

“I plan to stay and make sure he knows I love him as much as his Dad does.” I tell her. 

 

“Can you love me like my Dad does?” She asks me.

 

“Yes, if you'll let me.” I tell her. 

 

“Will I still get to see him?” She asks me. 

 

“As much as you want.” I tell her. 

 

“Then I'm going with him, Grandma.” She points to me.

 

“Why does that line keep coming up?” Brian asks me with a smirk

 

MEL

 

I was still in the interrogation room when they told me Justin was here. I knew I wasn't going to come out of this without jail time and I prayed Justin would take Jenny. I wanted Jenny and Gus to have someone like Justin to love them. Justin walked in and closed the door. Instead of taking a seat he walked over to me and kneeled down so we were facing each other.

 

“I won’t hate you, but I don’t like what you did to me or to Brian.” He tells me. 

 

“I'm praying you will forgive me for betraying you.” I tell him. 

 

“I don’t understand how you could do it and still pretend you gave a shit.” He gets up and sits on the seat next to me.

 

“Russo was going to give Gus back to Brian and tell Brian the adoption wasn’t legal. I knew Brian would never give me back his rights.” She tells me. 

 

“I wouldn’t have blamed him, he gave up the one person who he loved to save your relationship. He didn’t do it because he didn't want Gus. He did it for Gus, and instead of having the same faith he had in you, you shit all over his rights. He gave you something that means more to him than his life. Why couldn’t you have let him see Gus?” He asks me. 

 

“I wanted him out of our lives. It was like I disappeared when he was around. Lindsay would act like Brian was her husband and Gus was barely talking to me already.” I tell him. 

 

“That was your problem, not Brian’s. You married Lindsay knowing that she wasn’t going to let Brian go. Part of me wonders why you let her have Brian’s child. All I could come up with is you and Lindsay needed the drama, because I can’t think of another reason.” He tells me. 

 

“None of it matters anymore. I just need you to promise me that you'll raise Jenny.” I tell him. 

 

“Why me?” I ask her. 

 

“Michael isn’t isn’t her best interest. He loves her, but he has no idea what raising a child alone is like. Sooner or later, he'd dump her off on Deb.” I tell him. 

 

“Why not Deb or Lindsay?” I ask her. 

 

“I want Jenny raised to be responsible and no matter what Deb says I think she'd make the same mistakes with Jenny. You and Brian need to be careful with Lindsay, she isn't little miss innocent.” I tell him. 

 

“You really think I fell for her shit?” I tell her. 

 

“I think Lindsay’s real motivation will come out, and if you're not careful she'll stab you in the back.” I tell him.    

 

“Just so you can have your revenge, you chose me for Jenny? I have to tell you that's all I'm hearing from you. The only reason I'm willing to take custody is because Jenny needs someone to make it about her.” He tells me. 

 

“That's why I want you, she’s never going to doubt why you’re there.” I tell her. 

 

“I would have felt better if you had included Gus in that statement, but then you proved how little anything you do is about him. By the way, I just want you to know that Brian and I are going to share custody of Jenny, just my way of saying fuck you for betraying both of us.” Justin tells me as he walks away from me.

 

“I don’t care as long as my child is loved.” I tell myself. 

 

BRIAN 

 

Justin told Brad he wanted us to share custody of Jenny. I told Brad I wanted all the kids to have the same rights. I knew Mel did this because Justin just loves and doesn’t expect anything in return. I bet she's wishing she went to the sperm bank now. 

 

“Brian, Michael is probably going to try to fight this.”Brad tells me. 

 

“Michael can barely support himself. We aren't going to take Jenny from him, just raise her for him.” I tell him. 

 

“He has to be informed of the change in custody. If what I saw is any indication, he'll use this as a way to integrate himself into your life.” He tells me. 

 

“Then we put in the agreement he picks Jenny up from Deb. I don't want him in my house.” I tell him. 

 

“He doesn’t have custody but visitation now. Mel really did a great job in the new agreement. You know Michael owes her child support and made sure to document anything he paid for, which other than some clothes wouldn’t be considered support.” He tells me. 

 

“Guess while she was screwing Justin and me over, she wanted to include her babydaddy.” I tell him. 

 

“If she hadn't been fucking over the legal system, I'd have hired her. She thought of every angle to keep Michael off her back. What I don't get is she could have kicked Michael out of her lives by just suing him for the support alone. Why didn’t she?” He asks me. 

 

“She'd have to admit using Michael was a mistake. Mel refuses to be wrong.” I tell him. 

 

“Michael is going to have to prove he is in Jenny’s best interest in order to take her from you and Justin. Justin has enough money to provide for all three of the kids without help from you. Adding your finances to Justin’s will make it harder for Michael to win. It helps that you both cleaned up your lives.” He tells me. 

 

“Cancer changes your views on life.” I tell him. 

 

“Just be glad that Michael couldn’t use that as you're inability to take care of Jenny. The only person he has to fight is Justin and his health.” He tells me. 

 

“No one knew about the cancer except Ted.” I tell him. 

 

“Is there a reason you only told Ted?” He asks me. 

 

“I didn’t need clients running to other firms, in the ad business it's about their long term needs. If it got out I had cancer, they could have looked for someone else who might not die on them. I could have told them my chances were excellent but the big C scares people. Ted had to know because he was stepping in when I got to sick to work.” I tell him. 

 

“Brian, what do you really think of Lindsay’s motives.” He asks me. 

 

“I think she's a rat abandoning a sinking ship. I really loved how she played off Gus running away like it was a good thing for a thirteen year old to do. Lindsay’s not the innocent caring mother she pretend to be, but I played into it to get Gus.” I tell him. 

 

“You think she's going to cause problems?” He asks me. 

 

“I think she hasn't played all her chess pieces yet.” I tell him.    

 

MICHAEL 

 

I was sitting in the shop when a messenger hand me a letter. I'd been trying to call my lawyer all day. He keep telling me to schedule an appointment, not just show up. I was hoping he wouldn’t charge me for asking a question. 

 

The letter informed me that Mel transferred her custody of Jenny to fucking Justin. I'm Jenny’s dad, not the fucking twink. My fucking lawyer is going to straighten this shit out. I grabbed my coat and kicked the kid who sits here like it's his home out. I got to my lawyers office and ran passed the receptionist. 

 

“Mr Novotny, you can’t go in without an appointment.” She tells me. 

 

“Just sit down and answer the fucking phone, my lawyer needs to do his job.” I tell her opening is office door. 

 

“I'm sorry Mr. Coleman, I couldn’t stop him.” She tell him.

 

“It's fine, just buzz me when my next clients are here.” He tells her. 

 

“Like I said go answer a phone.” I tell her. 

 

“Michael don't talk to her like that. Why don't you tell me why you showed up again without an appointment.” He tells me. 

 

“It's got this, you need to make sure fucking Justin Taylor doesn’t get custody of my kid.” I tell him handing over the letter.

 

“Michael do you have your custody agreement with Jenny’s mother? I really need to see it, before I can tell you what is possible.” He tells me. 

 

“I put it in my filing cabinet years ago, I'll get it, but Justin isn't related to Jenny I am. If Mel thinks she can give my child to the little bastard, she's lost her mind.” I tell him. 

 

“Before we proceed any further, we need to talk about you paying you passed due bills. I don't work for free.” He tells me. 

 

“I want to know why you charged me for times I wasn’t in your office. Until you can explain that I'm not paying you.” I tell him. 

 

“I charge for every call and any paperwork you send me. You asked to keep a log of the girls and I did. Every hour I work is listed and billed. Right now you owe around two thousand for the work you asked me to do. I'm going to warn you now, custody cases are anywhere from two to ten thousand depending on how much time I spend in court. With those kind of cases you need to pay the retainer, and once it's used, you'll need to pay as we go. I won't do anything until you pay what you owe already.” He tells me. 

 

“We signed an agreement that you'd represent me. You need to uphold your part.” I tell him. 

 

“You also signed to pay for my services. I'll do you a favor and not add this to my bill, but don't come back until your account is up to date and expect me to help. Goodbye Mr Novotny.” He tells me as he ushers me out of his office. 

 

I leave and go to Emmett and Drew’s house. Hopefully Emmett can help me out. Drew opened the door and rolled his eyes at me.

 

“Emmett is with a client, so unless it's life or death come back later.” Drew tells me. 

 

“It's about Jenny.” I tell him. 

 

“Stay here and let me interrupt Emmett.” He tells me shutting the door.

 

I wait and hear Emmett apologizing to someone. He opens the door and lets a woman out.

 

“I'll make time to call you about the flowers.” He tells her. 

 

“Emmett, I just needed someone to calm me down.” She tells him. 

 

“Honey, don’t let your mother-in-law tell you what to do.” He tells her. 

 

“I'll just sic her on you.” She tells him. 

 

Emmett walked past me without saying anything and took her to her car. He waves at her and turns with a frown to look at me.

 

“What is so important that you had to interrupt my time with a client?” He asks me. 

 

“Can we talk inside?” I ask him. 

 

“Drew asked that I keep you outside our house. So tell me what's so important.” He tells me. 

 

“Mel is trying to give our daughter to fucking Justin.” I tell him. 

 

“How did she find Baby?” He asks me. 

 

“Justin showed up in Canada.” I tell him. 

 

“Did he tell her where he's been?” He asks me. 

 

“Who fucking cares, I need you to help me.” I tell him. 

 

“Is he here?” Emmett asks me.

 

“Of course, he ran straight to Brian with his brat.” I tell him.

 

“Justin has a kid?” He asks me.

 

“With Brian, if you believe that shit. Can we talk about you helping me, your actual friend.” I tell him.

 

“With what?” He asks me. 

 

“My lawyer said unless I pay his bill he isn’t going to help. So I'm asking as the friend who was there for you, to loan me the money.” I tell him. 

 

“How much is the price of your friendship?” He asks me. 

 

“I didn’t mean it like that, but I owe two thousand and he said it could cost up to ten to fight for my baby.” I tell him. 

 

“Sounds like you're going to have to sell some collectables, because I'm not loaning you that much money. You'll never pay it back.” He tells me. 

 

“I can’t sell those, people come to the shop to see them. Don’t the years we’ve been friends count for anything?” I ask him.

 

“Not really, I assumed friendship was a gift, not a way to get payment from someone. I also promised your mother and Drew to not get sucked into your problems. So work it out yourself and pay your lawyer, that’s all I can do for you.” He tells me and walks in shutting the door and locking me out.

 

EMMETT

 

I run to Drew’s man cave all excited, Baby’s home. I tackle my man and run kisses all over him. Drew looked confused because Michael usually causes me to take headache medicine after he leaves.

 

“Michael had something good to say?” He asks me.

 

“Yes but I doubt he thought it was good.” I tell him.

 

“Tell me, because truthfully I was about to kick his ass for coming here to whine to you.” He tells me.

 

“My Baby came home.” I tell him.

 

“Justin?” He asks me.

 

“Yes, so you finally get to meet him.” I tell him.

 

“So you're done being upset with Brian about Justin leaving?” He asks me.

 

“As long as he treats him right I am.” I tell Drew.

 

“Then let's go see Justin, it’s been hard being friends with Brian because you were so upset about Justin.” He tells me.

 

“Justin is the only good thing knowing Brian was to me. I don’t hate Brian, but if he had treated my Baby better he wouldn’t have left.” I tell Drew.

 

“Emmett you don’t know why Justin left, and maybe you need to find out before you judge Brian.” He tells me.

 

“What do you know?” Emmett asks me.

 

“I know that when Brian is drunk enough he tells you what he doesn’t want anyone to know. That he loved Justin and felt Justin would eventually leave. Brian wouldn’t use his love for Justin to keep Justin with him.” Drew tells me.

 

“Brian’s a idiot. Justin loved him.” I tell Drew.

 

“But he did the one thing Brian expected. Your Baby should have made Brian talk to him.” He tells me.

 

“Let’s go see Baby and apparently Baby’s baby.” I tell Drew.

 

“As long as we don’t have to deal with the whiney boy outside, I’ll take you anywhere.” He tells me.

 

“If he’s still there we just keep driving.” I tell him.

 

Drew grabs his keys and we go to the garage. We pulled out and I realized I don’t know where Justin would be. I call Teddy to see if he knows. Ted tells me Brian was at the new house last he was told. 

 

“Have you seen Justin?” I ask him.

 

“No, but there is a lot going on, Brian and Justin have been really busy.” He tells me.

 

“Drew and I were going to go to Brian’s.” I tell him.

 

“Call Brian first, I don’t think he wants surprise visitors.” He tells me.

 

“Drew call Brian and tell him I’m coming whether he likes it or not.” I tell Drew.

 

Drew picks up his earpiece and dials Brian. I ask Ted to fill me in. What he tells me is crazy as hell. I hung up and stared at the phone. I want to go to the police station and have a long talk with Mel, but I want to see my Baby first.

 

“Brian said to meet at Deb’s if you want to see His Justin.” He tells me.

 

“Possessive already, good lord they always did move fast.” I tell Drew.

 

“It’s why I came back to you, I was tired of moving slow.” He tells me and gets a kiss for that.