- Text Size +

BRIAN 

 

Justin told me to sleep while he started breakfast, I walked into the kitchen to see my sleepy boys and a bright eyed Jenny. She was smiling, watching Justin make breakfast. 

 

“He's making real food.” Jenny tells me. 

 

“Dad always makes real stuff.” Jacob tells her.

 

“But the waffles aren’t frozen.” She tells him. 

 

“Why would the waffles be frozen?” Jacob asked, confused. 

 

“The moms bought the frozen kind.” Gus tells him. 

 

“There are frozen ones?” Jacob asks.

 

“They aren't very good, you toast them.” Jenny tells us. 

 

“Dad gets real bacon too.” Gus tells her. 

 

“Like the kind at Grandma's diner?” She asks him. 

 

“Yeah, but Dad lets us eat as much as we want.” Gus tells her.

 

I walk over to check if Justin had his eyes open. I could tell he was trying not to laugh about the comments. 

 

“Until I met Lindsay and Mel, I didn't know they came frozen either.” Justin tells me. 

 

“Think about the food they served, most of it was fruit and bread. Nothing you really had to cook.” I tell him. 

 

“I learned that Jacob started the day better if he had a warm breakfast.” He tells me. 

 

I grab coffee and toast and sit down as the kids get their breakfast. 

 

“Are we going to daycare?” Jenny asks me.

 

“Why would you go to daycare?” Justin asks her.

 

“I usually do.” She tells us. 

 

“I work from home, so no daycare. We could go see your Grandma, if you want. ” Justin tells her. 

 

“She's working today.” I tell him. 

 

“We could meet you there for lunch.” Justin tells me. 

 

“I was going to work late tonight so I could wrap up everything before the weekend. I figured we could go get your things.” I tell Justin. 

 

“Plus I could get the information from Thomas about the Warhol.” He tells me. 

 

“So he has a thing for Daphne?” I ask him. 

 

“He can't get the nerve up to ask her out.” He tells me. 

 

“He does realize she's the kind of girl who will expect him to prove he's man enough for her?” I ask him.

 

“Thomas seems to be confident in everything but women.” He tells me. 

 

“Is he a troll?” I ask him. 

 

“What's a troll?” Jenny asks me.

 

“It's someone who isn’t as pretty as you.” I tell her. 

 

“No he isn’t, but he's been burned a few times. In fact if he'd been gay you and he could complete for men.” Justin tells me. 

 

“He'd have to complete alone, I'm fine with you.” I tell him. 

 

I get up and rub the boys on the head, but Jenny wanted a hug and kiss, so I lifted her and kissed her nose. The boys were snickering at her. I walk to Justin and hug him from behind and kiss his neck. As I drove off I was smiling at how I plan to start my days.

 

TED 

 

I was grabbing a cup of coffee when a smiling Brian strolled by. He stopped and fixed my collar then kissed my head and continued to his office. 

 

“What the hell was that?” Cynthia asks me. 

 

“That, is Brian Kinney in love.” I tell her. 

 

“He met someone?” She asks me. 

 

“Justin came back.” I tell her. 

 

“The Justin he went to see?” She asks me. 

 

“You never met Justin?” I ask her. 

 

“Unlike now, Brian separated his work and home life. I only knew Michael because he was always showing up and calling.” She tells me, rolling her eyes. 

 

“Well what you're seeing is what he was like when Justin was around. Not that he ever kissed me before.” I tell her. 

 

“Maybe I'll have to hang around with you every morning, who knows he could kiss my head too.”  She laughs.

 

“Who drew this shit?” We hear come out of Brian’s office.

 

“Guess that kiss was the last peace we are going to get.” Cynthia tells me as we hurry to Brian’s office.

 

“I thought we hired artists, not kindergarten children?” Brian asks us. 

 

“Let me call Murph in and find out where this came from.” Cynthia tells him.

 

“Tell him I better not have paid overtime for this shit.” Brian tells her. 

 

Cynthia went to get Murph and I turn it to see what the hell it was supposed to be. 

 

“Brian what's the problem?” Murph asks as he walks in.

 

“Look at this and tell me what it's supposed to be, because I couldn't tell you.” He tells him. 

 

“Where did it come from? It's not one of ours.” Murph tells us. 

 

Brian looks around his desk and I see a note on the floor. I hand it to him.

 

“Lindsay must be getting desperate.” He tells me. 

 

“Lindsay did this?” I ask him. 

 

“This note says she was submitting samples of her work.” He tells me. 

 

“What for, and why would anybody submit work this bad?” Murph asks him.

 

“She seems to need a job, and wants yours.” Brian tells him. 

 

“Hopefully this is an example of what you don't do.” I joke.

 

“Brian, Lindsay would like to see you.” Cynthia tells him.

 

“I want you both to stay, if this is her fucking with me, I want witnesses.” Brian tells me. 

 

We wait as Lindsay walks in dressed for the club not an interview. I’m not sure what she was thinking with that outfit, but Murph is married and we are gay and not interested.

 

“Brian, I was hoping to sit and talk about my coming to work for you.” She says to him in a husky voice.

 

“How did you get this in my office?” Brian asks her.

 

“I told the receptionist that you were waiting to see it. I think it shows you the kind of work you can expect from me.” She tells him.

 

“Well I’m not really an artist but Murph could probably tell you why we wouldn’t hire you. I could ask Justin to critique it, but then you’d be compared to his talent and I doubt you want that.” Brian tells her.

 

“My work would hold up to anything Justin could do.” She tells Brian.

 

“Who’s Justin?” Murph asks me.

 

“My soon to be husband, but he’s showing in New York.” Brian tells him.

 

“What’s his last name?” Murph asks me.

 

“Taylor.” I tell him.

 

“You have seen his work haven’t you?” Murph asks all of us.

 

“No, but he just came back into my life.” I tell him.

 

“Brian it’s not just his art but his Ad copy. He’s really good. Remember the commercial with the cartoon dog in it.” He asks Brian.

 

“Yeah, the graphics were amazing.” He tells Murph.

 

“My buddy at that firm told me they hired this guy from Chicago. I wanted a name because I wanted to offer him a job. He told me Justin Taylor, but that he quit Ad work and start painting instead. Hopefully you’ll convince him to help us out sometime.” He tells me.

 

“Excuse me but I was trying to interview for a job.” Lindsay tells Murph.

 

“Not for me. My artists have to be able to create a concept, your talent is mediocre at best. With more time you could eventually become better.” Murph tells her.

 

“I think that is something for Brian to decide.” She tells Murph.

 

“Murph only hires qualified people to work under him. You heard him, you aren’t qualified.” Brian tells her.

 

“Brian I could be an asset, this was my field in school.” She tells me.

 

“You ended up an art teacher, not an artist.” Brian reminds her.

 

Lindsay gets up red faced and walks out the door. I follow her out because Brian hands me the board to give her. 

 

“Lindsay you forgot this.” I tell her.

 

“Ted you should remember who helped you when you needed us.’’ Lindsay tells me.

 

“I do, Emmett and Brian. You and Mel didn’t bother with me until I was out of rehab and that was only to bake cookies. They were good, but I don’t call that help.” I tell her and go back to Brian’s office.

 

“Brian you really need to see if he will help us with the video game campaign.” Murph tells Brian.

 

“He’s working on a show for the Warhol, I don’t know what kind of time he would have. We are also raising three kids.” Brian tells him.

 

“Blake and I could watch the kids, if Justin needs time to work.” Ted tells me.

 

“Don’t tell me you or Blake are having kids too.” Brian asks me.

 

“No, who else is having kids? Because you and Justin work fast, but not that fast.” I tell him.

 

“You know, your best friend Emmett, who knows about something only you should.” He says as he glares at me.

 

“I didn’t mean to tell him but he noticed how you looked.” I tell him.

 

“I’m assuming you're done with me?” Murph asks us. 

 

“Yes, I’ll talk to Justin but unless he can find the time, you need to bring me the best you have before lunch.” Brian tells Murph.

 

We wait for Murph to go before I explain.

 

“Brian, you were puking your guts out and barely able to stay awake most days. Emmett was on the verge of forcing you to see a doctor. I told him and he never told anyone, well until now.” I tell him.

 

“Well Emmett is having a kid. Make sure he know’s I told you first.” Brian tells me.

 

JUSTIN

 

I hung up my phone and stared at Jenny. She was playing happily with the boys. I have to say everything is making more sense after that call. I need to talk to Brian. We got to the diner and Deb greets the kids with hugs and kisses. I ask her if she could stay with the kids while I talk to Brian. I see Brian sitting with another guy and head over.

 

“Justin this is Murph, the head of my art department.” Brian tells me.

 

“Nice to meet you. Are you having lunch with us?” I ask him.

 

“Justin, I’m going to take a break and eat with the kids.” Deb tells me.

 

“I’m actually here to see if you have time to work on a campaign with me.” Murph tells me.

 

“Is there some reason you think I could help?” I ask him.

 

“I think your past work speaks for itself. I know you no longer do Ad work, but this campaign is huge for us. With the kind of graphics you create, the campaign would be in the bag.” He tells me.

 

“Brian can tell me what he’s looking for and I’ll send the ideas I have with him.” I tell him.

 

“Justin, I don’t want you to stretch yourself too thin.” Brian tells me.

 

“If I can’t do it, I’ll tell you when I see what kind of work you're asking for.” I tell him.

 

“Either way it was nice meeting you. I’m going to meet my wife for lunch now.” Murph tells me.

 

“He wanted to meet you. Apparently he’s a big fan of your art.” Brian tells me.

 

“I don’t know that I could come up with anything better than he could.” I tell him.

 

“It would have to be better than the painting of the fruit bowl Lindsay sent.” Brian tells me.

 

“Is there a reason she sent you that?” I ask him.

 

“She thinks I should give her a job.” Brian tells me.

 

“You should, unless conniving bitch is taken.” I tell him. 

 

“Something going on?” He asks me.

 

“Someone named Katie just called to inform me that Jenny’s account is being turned over to you and me.” I tell him.

 

“Jenny has an account?” Brian asks me.

 

“Mel was putting all her savings in an account for Jenny. Jenny’s guardian gets it to raise Jenny.” I tell him.

 

“How much has Mel put in there?” Brian asks me.

 

“Twenty thousand, which if we invest for Jenny will start her out well.” I tell him.

 

“I wonder if Lindsay knew?” Brian asks me.

 

“I thought it was strange that she was willing to hand Gus over without a fight but not Jenny.” I tell him.

 

“She wasn’t going to get another dime from me, so having Gus wasn’t going to help her.” Brian tells me.

 

“Katie pretty much said the only thing Lindsay was going to get was the money she made working.” I tell him.

 

“Daddy, are you coming home with us?” Jacob asks Brian.

 

“I have to get back to work, but I’ll be home before you go to bed.” He tells Jacob.

 

“He works like my mommy.” Jenny whispers to Jacob.

 

“How about I promise to be home for dinner.” Brian tells them.

 

“Brian if you need to stay late one night, it’s not a problem.” I tell him.

 

“I can work from the house.” He tells me.

 

Brian gets up and whispers to me. “I decided that my parenting is going to be the opposite of the munchers.”