- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

I wanted to get the loft renovated so Justin could work there. John and I were at the gallery waiting to see Miles, the guy who designed my loft. John was still hiding from Michael and his never ending phone calls. I just laughed every time the phone rang.

 

“John, that woman that wanted to ask about a job is here again.” His manager tells him.

 

“Elle, tell her that I’m not hiring.” John tell her.

 

“I did but she insists that you would if you talk to her.” Elle tells him exasperated.

 

“Is it Lindsay?” I ask him and he nods.

 

“She’s been coming in three times a day. John you need to handle her, I don’t get paid enough for this crap.” Elle tells him.

 

“I’ll talk to her.” John tells Elle.

 

Elle and I stand in the office and watch as John walks over to Lindsay. She at least dressed for an interview this time.

 

“May I help you?” John asks her.

 

“No, more like I could help you.” She smiles until she sees John.

 

“I doubt it, but since you don’t seem to understand when Elle tells you, I’m not hiring.” He tells her.

 

“Don’t let Brian cloud what could be a lucrative opportunity for your gallery.” She tells him.

 

“I think someone who sleeps with Sam isn’t someone I want working in my gallery.” He tells her.

 

“Brian and Justin need to learn to keep their mouths shut.” She hisses.

 

“It’s not like Sam could either, I didn’t put it together until Brian told me you fucked an artist at your gallery. Hell, Sam likes to tell people how he bagged a lesbian.” John tells her.

 

“It was years ago and it has nothing to do with selling art.” She argues.

 

“Does she really think it’s wise to argue with the boss?” Elle whispers to me.

 

“She’s not exactly thinking.” I tell Elle.

 

Lindsay looks up when she hears us talking.

 

“So you're here too. Wonder how much Justin would trust you if he knew you were spending time with him alone.” She tells me.

 

“Justin is fine with me being around Brian, but then, I’m not after Brian. I think this is where you do your dramatic exit, because Honey, I wouldn’t hire you to shine my shoes.” John tells her.

 

“Brian, you used to be my friend and now you're turning on me.” She tells me.

 

“I just decided that I needed better friends.” I tell her.

 

Lindsay walks out in a huff and we all just roll our eyes at her.

 

“You were friends with her?” Elle asks me.

 

“She’s the mother of his kid.” John tells her.

 

“Please tell me you were on drugs when you thought she would be a good mother?” She asks me.

 

“I was high when I gave the sample, does that count?” I ask.

 

JUSTIN

 

Jenny came to me and finally asked to see Mel. I wanted to make sure Mel wanted her to see her in the jail and to prepare Jenny for seeing Mel there. Mel told me she would love to see Jenny, and I got Carl to at least let us see her in an interrogation room. Carl told me that he was going to at least get her some clothes so she look normal for Jenny. Deb begged Carl for that much.

 

“Is Mama in a lot of trouble?” She asks as we pull up to the station.

 

“She did some things she shouldn’t have.” I tell her.

 

“Is that why Gus doesn’t want to see her?” Jenny asks me.

 

“Gus is still upset he didn’t get to see his dad.” I tell her.

 

“They shouldn’t have done that to him.” She tells me.

 

“No they shouldn’t have, but like my mom said, parents don’t always make the best decisions.” I tell her.

 

We walk in and Carl leads us to the room they have Mel in. Mel smiles at Jenny.

 

“Do you want to see her alone?” I ask Jenny.

 

“If it’s okay.” She tells me.

 

“Just call out if you want me.” I tell her.

 

Jenny walks in and hugs her mom. I don’t get how Mel is like mom of the year with Jenny but not Gus. I walk over to Carl to see what’s going on with the case. I’ve been busy with my life and didn’t want my past to get in the way.

 

“Have they made any decisions on how they want to handle this?” I ask Carl.

 

“Mel plans on pleading out. Russo hired an attorney and isn’t talking to anyone. The DA has been fired and plans to help against Russo.” He tells me.

 

“What about the Hobbs family?” I ask him.

 

“They lawyered up and are letting the lawyer do the talking.” He tells me.

 

“Guess we are going to see them all get out of it.” I tell him.

 

“Brad is pushing hard to keep it from happening. It’s just that there are a lot of criminals that could go free if we prove Russo is corrupt.” He tells me.

 

“How do you know they are criminals and not someone Russo fucked over.” I snap.

 

“Justin, I want them to get what they should, I’m just telling you why everyone is being careful about this.” He tells me.

 

“I just want this to end so I don’t have to think about it anymore. I want to think about my life with Brian.” I tell him.

 

“Then do that, this isn’t going to be about you, it’s about justice.” Carl pats my shoulder.

 

I wait outside the door for Jenny. 

 

“Mama wants to talk to you. Is Grandpa busy?” She asks me.

 

“No, I think he would love to see you.” I tell her as she walks to Carl’s office.

 

I walk in and wonder why she thinks we have anything left to say to each other. 

 

“Thank you for bringing her to see me.” Mel tells me.

 

“I honestly didn’t know if this would be good for her.” I tell her.

 

“I’m going to ask you a favor.” She tells me.

 

“I’m not doing you any favors.” I tell her.

 

“This is about Jenny, not me. If I go to prison, don’t let her come see me. I don’t want her to see me there.” She tells me.

 

“Mel, she knows you're in trouble.” I tell her.

 

“I just don’t want her to ever see the inside of a prison. You can tell her I had to go somewhere for a while.” She tells me.

 

“So I should lie to her, that’s really smart. I mean everything started with lies and half truths, why not continue to lie to Jenny. Gus isn’t going to help us lie to his sister. I agree she doesn’t need to see a prison yard, but I won’t lie to my children.” I tell her.

 

“Jenny’s MY child.” She tells me angrily.

 

“No, she’s mine now. You gave her away.” I tell her.

 

“I wanted her to have a good life.” She tells me.

 

“She will, because Brian and I will give it to her.” I tell her.

 

“I spent years wanting a child and now I have to let someone else raise her. Can’t you see how hard this is for me?” She asks me.

 

“Then why didn’t you just turn and walk away when you understood what Russo wanted? Brian would have done what he told you he was going to do.” I tell her.

 

“He kept dangling Gus and pulling it away, I couldn’t risk Brian finding out that he still had a chance to keep custody.” She tells me.

 

“Yet you stopped being Gus’s mom as soon as you got Brian out of his life.” I tell her.

 

“I love Gus, but he didn’t want me.” She tells me.

 

“Really, are we going to sit here with you telling me how you love Gus but never bothered to see where he was. Jacob was shocked to hear Gus could run around without you knowing where he was, and it’s because my other son knows I’d ground him for scaring me like that. Gus acted like it was normal for you and Lindsay.” I tell her.

 

“He wanted to leave.” She tells me.

 

“You should have told Michael to leave if he was give Gus problems.” I tell her.

 

“Michael is Jenny’s father. I didn’t want to deprive Jenny of her father.” I see the minute she realizes she said the wrong thing to me.

 

“And this conversation is over. I have a man to marry and three children to raise, neither of which includes listening to you try to make yourself sound like a wonderful mother.” I tell her.

 

I go to get Jenny and smile as she sits next to Carl and writes on a piece of paper like he is. In a way my revenge is that Brian and I will get to see Jenny’s moments, while Mel sits in prison. 

 

“You ready Jenny? We have a dress to buy for my flower girl.” I tell her.

 

“I want purple and flowers on it.” She tells me smiling.

 

“Grandma Deb will probably love that.” Carl tells her.

 

BRIAN

 

I left the gallery and head to the loft with Miles. I noticed John paying attention to every word coming out of Miles’s mouth. Could he be more obvious? Miles was telling me that most of the plans were going to be easy because I never enclosed anything but the bedroom. I wanted it started after the wedding because I wanted Justin and I to spend our first night married there. I finally decided to get Miles to the loft before John melted into a puddle at his feet.

 

“Honestly other than more light and counter space, we aren’t looking at a lot of work here.” Miles tells me.

 

“I just want to make sure that he has everything he needs.” I tell him.

 

“So you're officially going off the market?” Miles asks me.

 

“I’ve been off the market for a long time.” I tell him.

 

“I don’t blame you, Justin’s a good guy.” He tells me.

 

“What about you, ever think of settling down?” I ask him.

 

“If I found someone worth having, I would.” He tells me.

 

“Come to the wedding this weekend. There are a few guys that haven’t been snatched up.” I tell him.

 

“Is John going to be there?” He asks me.

 

“He’s staying with Justin and me right now. Maybe you could come over and have dinner.” I tell him as we leave the loft. 

 

“Let me know.” He tells me smiling.

 

I can’t wait to see Justin’s face when I tell him I’m the king of matchmaking.