- Text Size +

JUSTIN 

 

I was putting the finishing touches on the last painting for the Warhol exhibit when Jacob comes running into the loft with Gus behind him. Jenny was walking in with Brian and Michael.

 

“Dad, we have to go.” Jacob tells me excited.

 

“Where?” I ask him. 

 

“To see a baby being born.” He tells me. 

 

“Emmett is being taken in right now.” Michael tells me. 

 

“I wanted to go see the baby coming out.” Jacob tells me. 

 

“Jacob, the doctor has to do it. It's not like the video you guys saw about women.” I tell him. 

 

“I'm okay with seeing blood.” He tells me. 

 

“I'm not really good with blood.” Gus tells him. 

 

“No one is going to see it.” Brian tells them. 

 

“But Daddy…” He pouts.

 

“The baby will already be out by the time we get there, so no use in begging.” Michael tells him.

 

“If only I could have gone with Uncle Drew.” Jacob muttered.

 

“Just be happy we get to meet your cousin.” I tell him. 

 

I drop the cloth back over my painting and wash up, so we can go. Brian told Michael to get the kids in the car. I smile as I put my stuff in the cabinets Brian had installed.

 

“Ready to meet the newest edition to the family?” I ask him. 

 

“What’s that smell?” Brian wrinkles his nose.

 

I sniff but other than the paint fumes I don't smell anything. 

 

“The paint?” I ask him. 

 

“No, I'm used to that, it smells like something rotten.” He tells me as he walks around sniffing. He gets to the cabinet the kids play in and starts gagging and runs to the bathroom. I look and see where Jacob hid the veggie wrap I thought he threw away. It's not pleasant to look at but doesn't smell that bad. I grab a paper towel and throw it in the garbage.

 

“Get it out of here.” Brian yells from the bathroom. 

 

I take the trash out and throw it down the chute. Brian can be prissy about cleaning. 

 

“Brian we need to go.” I tell him walking in the bathroom.

 

“I don’t know if I can move.” He tells me hanging over the toilet.

 

“You'll survive, it's only six months of fun.” I smile at him.

 

“Only you could fuc… make twins.” He tells me.

 

“I didn’t do it on purpose.” I tell him. 

 

“I better not get as huge as Emmett.” He tells me. 

 

“Dad, Uncle Emmett said he wasn't having the baby.” Jacob runs back in to tell me. 

 

“Did the doctor change his mind?” I ask Michael when he comes in.

 

“No, the Queen said he wasn't giving birth unless he was married.” Michael tells me. 

 

“He couldn’t think of this before now?” I ask.

 

“Your mom is trying to convince him to let the doctor take the baby. Emmett’s locked in the bathroom.” Michael tells me. 

 

“Brian, we need to go.” I tell him. 

 

“You know I was jealous when you told me about having the babies, but now I'm just thrilled I'm not you.” Michael teases Brian. 

 

“I could arrange for you to join me. I'm sure the clinic has a sample of someone who looks enough like Ben to knock your ass up.” Brian growls. 

 

Michael and I smirk at each other, we both know Brian’s just cranky.

 

Michael and I seem to have found a way to be friends. He came to see me at the loft a week after the wedding and asked if we could talk.

 

“I came because you deserve to hear me apologize for everything.” He told me. 

 

“Michael, let it go. We all did things wrong.” I answered him. 

 

“I just feel like what I did caused everything.” 

 

“It didn't help, but Brian and I caused our own issues too.”  

 

“I want us to be friends and in order for us to work towards that I think you need to hear that I'm sincere.” 

 

“If you really think you need to tell me, I'll listen.” I decide if he needs to tell me, then I should listen. 

 

“I hated you because in my eyes everything came so easy for you. I felt like everyone was being taken from me. The thing is they were all still there, but I no longer had all their attention. I left and came back and it was like they had moved on without me. It seemed like you replaced me in all their eyes. Then Brian was distancing himself from me too. I think the night we went out after I got back was when it really hit home. I was partying hard and they all didn't seem to want to be there, I tried to get Brian to dance with me and he turned me down. I even used the fact that he liked to dance with you to try to get him to dance. It was then I knew he loved you because he walked away from me like I was shit on the bottom of his shoe for bringing you up that way. In a way, I used the whole Ben sleeping with Brian to get attention from Brian. I'm not proud of the fact that I knew you were standing outside the shop watching me make an idiot out of myself, but at the time I thought Brian would be happy that you were gone. In my screwed up mind, he’d want me if you left. When you were gone, I let myself believe it was the only thing getting in my way. I knew that he never loved me the way he loved you, but I was willing to be second if he would give me the chance. I spent years trying to win something I wasn’t even in the running for. I feel so stupid and ashamed for trying to use Gus to get to Brian. Something a parent should know better than to do. Watching you treat my daughter like she was yours changed me. Here I am trying to play games with Gus and you're raising my daughter and treating her as if she was yours. My daughter was talking about how you make breakfast and listen to all of them, like what they want was the most important thing to you. You could have used my shop having problems and Jenny to get back at me but you didn't. Instead you forced me to hear what I've been ignoring for years, that I was hanging on to something that was really just fool’s gold. I want to thank you for making me see that my daughter deserves a better father.” He tells me. 

 

“Michael, the one thing I can say is you are a good father, because Jenny loves you. I had nothing to do with it.” I tell him honestly.

 

“I want to be a great father to her.” He tells me. 

 

“I think you're already there.” I tell him. 

 

“Maybe one day I'll make a good friend to you too.”  

 

After that we started working on accomplishing that goal and we are there as we watch Brian clean up.

 

EMMETT 

 

I was locked in the bathroom, trying to convince everyone that Drew and I should be married now, before the baby is born. Deb and Jen keep telling me that it wouldn't be the end of the world to have the baby first.

 

“I just want the baby to know that we were married first.” I tell them. 

 

“Emmett, there isn't a stigma on being unmarried like when I had Michael.” Deb tells me through the door.

 

“I know, but I want to be married.” I tell her. 

 

“Is he still in there?” I hear Justin ask.

 

“He said he won’t come out unless he gets married.” Jen tells Justin. 

 

“Emmett can I come in?” Justin asks me. 

 

“I won’t come out unless I get married.” I tell him. 

 

“I promise not to make you come out.” He tells me. 

 

I open the door and let Justin squeeze in. 

 

“Why now?” He asks me. 

 

“I want to give my baby everything.” I tell him. 

 

“Okay, stay here.” He tells me and walks out.

 

I wait for a few minutes and Drew opens the door and comes in.

 

“Emmett, I checked and it isn't possible to get married right now. We have to get a license first. Brian and Justin suggested that if you want, we could tell each other the words. Brian told me to tell you they are what made him feel married.” He tells me. 

 

“Emmett, when we met you were everything I wanted and was afraid to have. You gave me the courage to stand and stop hiding from myself. When you let me go, I wanted you to tell me to stay. It just wasn’t the right time. I tried to do what you told me to, but everything felt wrong because I wasn’t with you. With the help of your best friend, I got you back. Ted told me that I should either leave you forever or take the chance you could still love me. I knew in that moment I need you. You're my life, and the minute we can get married I promise to make you legally my husband, but right now you already are.” He tells me. 

 

“Drew, you've given me everything by just sitting at my side. I prayed you'd come back to me someday. When you did, I knew I was just waiting for the life we were going to have together. You've made everyday special by loving me. We are about to bring our son into this amazing life and I'm proud you’re the one who he will have as a father. So I promise that when we can we'll legally do what our words just did.” I tell him. 

 

“Then let's meet our son.” He tells me. 

 

I let him help me up and walk out to see the family waiting.

 

“I think I'll let the doctor bring our newest family member home.” I tell them. 

 

“I know you all want to stay but I need to get this baby out, so I ask that everyone leave so my staff can get this show on the road.” The doctor tells us. 

 

I laid down and let them do what needed to be done to bring my child into the world. Drew held my hand and waited with me for the first sight of our child. 

 

“Here he comes.” Drew whispers to me.

 

I hear the most beautiful sound in the world minutes later, my son cries. The nurse brought him to us and I look at the face that we created.

 

“Have you thought of a name?” The nurse asks us.

 

“Theodore Aidan Boyd.” I tell her. 

 

“Ted deserves it.” Drew tells me. 

 

“So does Brian.” I tell him.