- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

I had to fight with Justin to keep him from coming to the trial today. I didn’t want him listening to what was happening. Justin finally agreed to stay home because he was really too pregnant to come. I couldn’t believe they took close to a year to even get to trial. Brad and I walk in to see Chris sitting behind his family. Russo was sitting with them and Mel was by herself with her lawyer. 

 

“They better not just hang Mel.” I tell Brad.

 

“Brian she is going to serve time regardless of what happens to everyone else.” He tells me.

 

“How much you want to bet me that they get a slap on the wrist and Mel goes down for this?” I ask him.

 

“Brian, give justice a chance.” I tell him.

 

We sit while the lawyers talk with the judge. I wait to see them called to testify and find out that none of them are willing. The judge then asks for a moment to review the case files again and leaves the courtroom.

 

“Why aren’t any of them testifying?” I ask Brad.

 

“They are within their rights not to.” He tells me.

 

I hear the doors open and turn to see Justin come in and head to the DA’s table. What the hell is he doing? Michael is running in behind him.

 

“Michael, what the hell is he doing here?” I whisper to him.

 

“He said that he wasn’t going to sit back and let people get away with bashing him again. Brian, he needs to do this.” Michael tells me.

 

I sat there and waited to see if they were going to let Justin get involved. The DA hands a piece of paper to the bailiff and he leaves the room. I see Chris staring at Justin and don’t like the way the son-of-a-bitch is looking at him. 

 

“Brad, we might have to get Justin away from here.” I tell him.

 

“Why? This could help more than hurt.” He tells me.

 

“Chris is looking at Justin like he’d like to repeat the bashing.” I tell him.

 

The judge comes out of her chambers and nods to the DA. The DA calls Justin to the stand. They wait while the DA swears Justin in and I keep an eye on Chris.

 

“Mr. Taylor…” 

 

“It’s Taylor-Kinney.” Justin tells him.

 

“Mr. Taylor-Kinney, you asked to be called so that you tell the judge from your point of view, how you felt about the sentencing of Christopher Hobbs and how you felt when you learned about the misconduct of Judge Russo, Christopher Hobbs’s parents, and Melanie Marcus.” He tells us.

 

“Let’s not forget the DA.” Justin mentions.

 

“Yes, so please tell the judge in your own words.” He tells Justin.

 

“At the time of the trial I was still in a coma from the attempt on my life by Chris Hobbs, so I couldn’t defend myself or my husband. From the transcripts I read, the trial became a second bashing on gay men everywhere. I understand that people don’t always welcome alternative lifestyles, but how does that change what happened in that garage that night? I wanted to ask, if I had been a straight man would that have changed the way Russo wanted it handled? Is the fact that Chris’s family was part of the ‘right’ country club a way to say justice didn’t matter? Just as long as Chris didn’t have a stain on his record? If it is, than justice is a myth. In reading the case I noticed that not once during the trial did they mention that I almost bled out in the garage, but they made a big deal out of the fact that Brian hit Chris to keep him from escaping. There was no mention of the trauma I faced or the disability that I continue to live with. Just that I must have taunted Chris to bring a bat and smash my skull in. Then I guess if Russo wanted the case to go that way, he had the power to order people to do it. That the Hobbs family can pay their way out of justice. I’m here because a woman who I once thought of as a sister is sitting in this courtroom and will most likely be the one who gets punished for what Russo ordered her to do. I don’t want to watch another person be a victim of Russo’s abuse of power. I also want to face my attacker and tell him something” Justin stares straight at Chris. “You didn’t beat me, I’m alive and happy.”

 

“Mr Taylor-Kinney, I for one am happy that you have been able to go on with your life. I am also the one who wants to show you justice is real and not a myth. So let me see if I can do that for you.” She tells him.

 

“Thank-you for at least letting me talk today.” Justin tells her, getting up once he is excused.

 

Justin walks past Chris, who stares at his stomach as if he wants to do something. I get up and walk to Justin and make sure Chris knows that he isn’t going to be able to do something because Justin’s back is turned. The fucker turns and looks at his parents.

 

“Before Justin came up here I was honestly having a hard time making a decision. I know that we all don’t want to believe that a judge could break the law because we are here to uphold it. I had hoped to hear from the defendants but apparently none were willing to put themselves on the stand, but the man who was hurt by all of it came in and demanded to testify. It shows a lot of courage to come here, because he was worried that once again we would try to shove this under a table and let people get away with the travesty of his case. I want you to know from me Mr Taylor-Kinney that if I had been the judge for your bashing trial, I would not have turned it into a case about you being gay, it would have been a case about Christopher Hobbs trying to murder someone. Now to my ruling, In the case of Roy Russo, I find you guilty of tampering with a trial under your watch. Mr and Mrs Christopher Hobbs SR, I find you both guilty of bribery and interfering with an investigation. Melanie Marcus, I find you guilty of collusion in the trial of the State vs Christopher Hobbs Jr. I will also add that upon talking to the DA who tried the case, that Christopher Hobbs Jr will be remanded for a trial of his own. Bailiff please take Christopher Hobbs Jr into custody. I hope that I was able to restore some of your faith.” The Judge stands and leaves the courtroom.

 

Brad gets up and walks over to find out why Chris was taken in. We wait and I get to see them all in handcuffs and arguing with their lawyers. To me this was a long time coming, guess it doesn’t matter who you are when there is evidence of your crime. Brad comes back and sits with us.

 

“Justin, Chris was there in the chambers when all this was being decided.” He tells us.

 

“We didn’t hear him.” Justin tells him.

 

“No, but they were all taped going in, apparently the DA wasn’t willing to go down without taking them with him.” He tells us.

 

“So what now?” I ask him.

 

“The sentencing, and trust me they are going for the maximum on this. I think they are worried how the justice system will look if they don’t.” He tells us.

 

“I just didn’t want Mel to be the only one punished.” Justin tells him.

 

“We have to wait and see what the ruling is.” Brad tells us.

 

“I want this to be over.” Justin tells us.

 

“Justin they aren’t going to need you at Chris’s trial, so let it be over for you.” Brad tells him.

 

“Can I take you home? You were supposed to be resting, not running around.” I tell him.

 

“Brian he needed this.” Michael tells him.

 

“I know but he’s a week from giving birth, so I wanted him to rest.” I tell Michael.

 

“He’s fine.” Michael assures me.

 

“Um, maybe we should go to the hospital.” Justin tells us as Brad holds him up.

 

“Why?” I ask him.

 

“Because I’m cramping and the doctor told us it’s your bodies way of saying it’s time.” Justin explains.

 

“Can you walk out of here?” I ask him.

 

“Yeah, just don’t expect me to run down hallways and we’re good.” He jokes.

 

Brad tells us to go to his car because it’s closer and we get Justin in. I was just glad that the doctor had to do this, no babies appearing in the car. We got to the hospital and were in a room as soon as Justin was registered. The doctor smiled when Jacob came in dressed to watch again. We waited while they got Justin ready and after what seemed like hours my new son arrived.

 

We agreed that we would let Jacob name him and wanted to do it once Justin was settled. Jen showed up with the girls and Gus, who still thinks Jacob is crazy for wanting to see. I waited with Justin for them to bring in our son and the rest of the family was filling the waiting room.

 

“I want Mom and the girls in here too.” Justin tells me.

 

I go out and get everyone and when the nurse comes in I let Jacob hold him first. 

 

“So are you going to tell us his name?” I ask him.

 

“I wanted Abraham.” He tells us.

 

“He’s just kidding guys.” Gus tells us.

 

“That’s good, because we saved you from that.” Justin tells Gus.

 

“Lucas, it means illumination.” Jacob smiles down at the baby.

 

“Alexander is what I would pick if it was my turn.” Gus tells us.

 

“Lucas Alexander is a beautiful name.” Jen tells the boys.

 

“And your new brother’s name.” I tell them.