- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

Justin’s POV

The first half of the ride to Grandfather’s was done in relative silence. I was just so happy to be outside that all I could do was stare at the familiar scenery as we sped along following one of Craig’s black cars. I turned and looked behind us and sure enough, another black car was trailing behind. Why did Craig think I’d ditch seeing Granddad?

I felt Brian’s hand gently squeeze my knee and refocused my attention on his profile. “Wonder why Craig is so concerned about me seeing my Granddad?”

“Don’t know, tiger, but he’s dead serious about it.”

“Something just feels so wrong about all of this.”  I turned and looked back out the window.

“Well, until we get things figured out, I want you to stay very close to me.”

I couldn’t stop smiling.  He was really worried about me, but for some reason I didn’t believe I was the one in danger here. “We’re here. That’s Granddad’s house up there.”

All too soon, we were standing in front of a very ornate door.  I couldn’t help but smile at the little man who answered the door. “It’s been a long time, Alvin.”

“Master Justin, so nice to see you again, Sir.  Please head into the study, you are expected.”

I slowly made my way down the hall and just as I was about to step into Grandfather’s study, I felt Brian’s hand grip my shoulder and pull me back against his body.

“I’ll go in first. You stay behind me, understand?”

I’m not a coward and I really don’t need Brian to protect me, but I love that he feels the need to do it, so I molded my body to his back and kissed his neck whispering very softly, “Yes, Master.”

I felt the sharp little sting of his slap on my hip and heard an almost animalistic growl.

“Little twat.”

As soon as we stepped into the study, I heard Craig’s voice sounding a bit excited. “That’s him!  That’s the man who kidnapped Justin.”

It happened so fast, but I saw everything as if it were playing out in slow motion. I felt strong arms wrap around me from behind and jerk me away from Brian’s body. I watched in helpless horror as two men tackled Brian to the ground.  I heard a loud grunt and a breathless order screamed as loudly as I’m sure he was capable.

“RUN, Justin!”

Then Craig’s voice penetrated my panic strickened mind.  “Shoot him!  Kill the bastard!”

I struggled against the arms holding me with all my might.  They were going to kill Brian. I had to do something.  “NOOOOO!  Get off him!”

My elbow connected with the guy’s face and I felt his grip loosen. I broke free from his grasp and plowed into one of the men holding Brian down, knocking him to the floor. I quickly dived on the other guy punching him with all my might over and over. I felt arms circle my waist again and screamed, “Let me go you fucker! I won’t let you hurt Brian.”

“Easy, tiger.”

I almost collapsed when I heard that soft velvet voice whispering in my ear. I sagged back into his body relying on his strength to keep me standing. I quickly turned, wrapped my arms around his waist, and buried my face against the side of his neck. “I thought they were going to kill you.”

“They still might. Now, get behind me!”

Brian had maneuvered us so that a wall was at our back as he pushed me behind him once again. I held onto his waist tightly.  I wasn’t about to let anyone pull me away from him again.

“I don’t know what the fuck is going on here, but Craig Taylor hired me to kidnap, Justin. I was following his orders the entire time!”

Craig looked around wildly and screamed, “Would someone shoot that fucker!”

I peeked around to see my Granddad stand and look at Craig.  “So, you thought you’d get rid of my grandson the same way you got rid of my daughter, did you?”

Craig shook his head and looked like a little boy caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

“Didn’t think I knew about that, did you, Craig?”

Two very muscular men grabbed Craig and held him tightly as he struggled and stuttered, “Wh-what the hell is going on h-here, Randy?”

“The name’s Randolph you murdering piece of shit. You want to know what’s going on here?  Let me explain. You murdered my daughter, my only child; because you thought you’d get your greedy little hands on her trust fund. When you found out that she had a will leaving everything to her son with me as guardian until his twenty-fifth birthday, you were livid. You had no choice but to wait until Justin turned twenty-five, then you planned to have him declared dead and take the money.  Wasn’t that the plan?”

I heard everything Granddad said, but I didn’t understand.  What trust fund?  What was he talking about?  Craig had killed my mother. All these years he’d told me it was my fault.  She died giving birth to me. I could feel the tremors slowly taking hold of my body. Then I felt Brian turn and pull me tightly against his chest gently stroking my back and whispering words into my ear, but I was too preoccupied to understand what he was saying.

Brian’s POV

It felt like I was in some old gangster movie as I pulled Justin against my body trying to shield him from the shit going on. This had to be the wildest thing I’d ever been involved in.  I just had to make sure I kept my wits about me, because at this point I had no idea who I could trust.

Randolph moved from behind his desk so he could look into Craig’s eyes. “I know quite a few things about you.  In addition to killing my daughter, you murdered my accountant, who also happened to be a very close friend, when he refused to doctor the books in your favor.”

I watched as Craig struggled vainly against the men holding him. “You don’t know what you’re talking about old man.”

“Don’t I? Damien wasn’t just my accountant, he was my godson. He kept me up-to-date on all your less-than-savory little excursions. The only reason I didn’t do anything about it before now was that I had no verifiable proof, but you gave me that when you called in Mr. Kinney.”

My head jerked around when I heard my name. What the hell? How did he know who I was?

“Remember that number that you were given?  I supplied you with that through another very close friend. I knew exactly what you were planning on doing, and I knew Brian would take care of Justin. He is the man Damien said he was.”

I looked from Randolph to Craig and back again. Things slowly started clicking in my mind. Conversations I’d had with Damien about his work and how he could afford the best things in life. Then it hit me. Craig killed Damien! I pushed Justin back and lunged for the fucker, punching him in the face as hard as I could.

“You fucking bastard! You killed Damien! I’ll rip your fucking head off!”  I kept punching over and over as flashes of Damien tied to that bed kept running through my mind. All this time I’d blamed myself and now I find out that this sadistic asshole had killed Damien for being honest and doing his job. I had honestly thought Damien might be mixed up with something illegal. All the times I’d doubted that he really loved me. I felt arms circling my waist and tugging me back.

“Brian.  Stop. He’s not worth it. I don’t want you to go to jail. Please stop.”

I heard the words but nothing could really penetrate the haze of hatred that was controlling me. I’d make Craig pay for killing Damien. I owed Damien that much.

“Stop!  Please, Master.”

That one word cleared my head and I froze. I couldn’t seem to get enough air as I struggled to breathe. Justin. I had to think of Justin. Damien was dead, but Justin was very much alive.  I quickly turned and pulled him into my arms. “It’s alright, tiger. I’m okay now.”

His body was shaking and I held him tighter glaring my hatred at Craig Taylor. One way or another that fucker would pay and pay dearly for what he’d done. I looked over at Justin’s grandfather. “Would you like to tell me just what the hell is going on here?”

“I’m sorry Mr. Kinney. My name is Randolph Clarke.  I’m Justin’s maternal grandfather and Damien Rhodes was my accountant and godson. He told me all about you during our phone conversations. If it’s any consolation, he loved you.”

I took a deep breath to keep the tears from forming in my eyes, gave a curt nod of my head, and hugged Justin tighter.

“When it came to my attention that Craig was in the market for hired killer, I knew what he was planning on doing, since Justin’s birthday is next week. So, I had a friend of mine feed Craig your phone number. I’ve kept my eye on you over the years. I figured it was the least I could do for Damien. I must admit, you surprised me. When I first heard about you and had you investigated, I thought you were just after Damien’s money.”

“Wait, you had me investigated?” I wasn’t sure I was going to like where this was headed.

“Of course I had you investigated. Did you think I was going to let my godson be taken in by a charlatan? Even after Damien was murdered, I still wasn’t sure that you were the real deal, so I kept tabs on you over the years. It seems that my godson had better instincts about people than I gave him credit for.  When you opened your ad agency, I sent some business your way. I figured you deserved a chance especially since Gardner Vance was doing everything in his power to make sure you never got a client.”

I shook my head. “You mean the only reason my agency took off was because you were giving me clients?”

“Don’t be daft, my boy. Do you think I’d take on an advertising firm just because one of my friends asked me to if the firm wasn’t any good? I just sent the people to you; you won those accounts all on your own. As a matter of fact, I was really impressed with not only your work ethic, but your creativity. I’ve watched you take care of your friends and family over the years and I knew I could trust you to take care of Justin. I have Damien to thank for saving my grandson’s life. If he hadn’t had so much faith in you, I’d have never given you a second thought.”

Randolph took some papers out of his desk drawer. “Justin, come here.  I need you to sign these papers.” He turned to Craig, who was slumped and basically hanging from the two men’s arms after the beating that Brian had given him. “You see Craig, this is a last will.  I am going to have Justin sign it and name his beneficiary. So, if something happens to him, you still won’t get any money. Then I’m letting you go.  I told some of those unsavory people you hang around with a little white lie, and I’m sure they're going to want to talk to you about it.”

I looked at the man like he’d lost his mind. “What the fuck are you talking about?  You’re just going to let him go?! He killed Damien!”

“Calm yourself, my boy. He’ll be dealt with, of that you can be sure.”

I watched Justin walk confidently up to Craig and spit in his face. “I hope you pay dearly for killing my mother and for killing Brian’s lover, you sick fuck.” Then he picked up the pen and wrote something on the paper.

“Okay, just sign the last page Justin and I’ll file that for you.”

“Thanks, Granddad. I really appreciate it.”

I was still shaking, but I had to remain calm. “I just hope you know what you’re doing.”

“Trust me, he’ll pay. Now, that our business is concluded, boys escort Mr. Taylor off these premises.”  Randolph stepped in front of Craig and held up his hand. “Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention. All your bank accounts and credit cards have been frozen, as I’m taking over the company once again. The locks have all been changed on my summer home, which now belongs to Justin. You have nothing but the clothes on your back and the shoes on your feet. I suggest you run very far and very fast, Craig. Your friends are waiting.” He stepped back and I watched as the two men dragged the almost lifeless man from the room.

Justin walked back over and wrapped his arms around my waist hugging me tightly. “I’m so sorry for what he did to you.”

I kissed the top of his blond head. “It wasn’t your fault, tiger.”

“Now, Mr. Kinney, it seems our business is done, so it’s time for you to go home and resume your life. Justin will be fine here with me.”

I felt Justin stiffen in my arms then yank himself free to turn around and confront his grandfather. “I’m afraid you’re mistaken, Granddad. I’m going with him.”

The dread that I’d felt in the pit of my stomach upon hearing Randolph’s words quickly evaporated to be replaced by something close to elation. Yes, he was going with me. I had no idea how things were going to work out, but I knew he was mine and he belonged with me. I’d spent enough time suffering to know not to pass up a good thing when it was handed to me, so I wrapped my arms around his waist, looked over his shoulder at the old man, and grinned. “Yeah, he’s going with me.”

The End.
elyxer is the author of 6 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 7 members. Members who liked Slave of Circumstance also liked 479 other stories.