- Text Size +

 

 

 

It had just gone ten, and Brian had already sat through an unexpected Skype call with a potential new client and a senior staff meeting that had gone on far longer than he had anticipated which in turn, made him late for his next meeting with the head of the art department. To say he wasn't in the best of moods was an understatement. He was tired, hungry and incredibly horny; not the best of combinations.

 

His phone beeped as he made his way back to his office.

 

Just checking I’ll still be seeing you at two this afternoon? J.

 

Brian grinned as he looked at the message on his phone. Silly twat, they’d only confirmed his appointment yesterday afternoon, of course, he’d still be seeing him.

 

I’ll be there. B.

 

That’s it, keep it nice and simple.

 

He wondered briefly if Justin was just looking for an excuse to text him, but the more he thought about it, the more ridiculous that idea sounded. Of course, that wasn't what Justin was doing.

 

His phone beeped a second later with a reply.

 

Excellent. I’ll have a coffee waiting for you. J.

 

He hesitated for a couple of minutes about whether or not he should respond further, but finally gave in and wrote back.

 

Thanks. I’ll have a latte – four sugars. B.

 

How was something as trivial as texting someone making him feel so Goddamn happy?

 

Brian got back to his office and put his phone in the top drawer of his desk – their little exchange could go for hours, and as much as he’d enjoy that, he had work to do if he wanted to make his two o'clock appointment on time.

 

***

 

Justin’s ten-thirty appointment had been cancelled. Usually, he’d have been grateful for the break, but not today. Today he needed to keep himself busy and stop his mind from wandering. Ethan had called him on his way to work and told him that they needed to talk tonight. He knew it was coming, but that didn't make it any easier and the more he thought about it, the more it made his stomach hurt. Deep down he’d known for a while that things weren't right between them, but he’d tried his best to pretend that everything was okay

 

He had an hour to kill before his next patient arrived, so he decided to use that time to de-clutter his desk. He sat down and began organising patient files and other random pieces of paperwork into various piles. It felt good to be doing something; even if it was just moving things from one pile to another and getting absolutely nothing of use done. He kept thinking about how much fun he had yesterday with Brian and his friends. It had been a long time since he’d enjoyed himself that much.

 

Justin wasn't sure why, but he had this sudden urge to speak to Brian. He knew he couldn't call him, he was at work, and he didn't really have anything to say, but he could text him, that wouldn't be weird, right?

 

Picking up his phone, he typed out a message confirming his appointment at two. It was silly really, he knew Brian would be there, but at least it gave him something to say.

 

When his phone vibrated with a reply, he felt his face light up and his heart beat a little faster. It was fucking embarrassing how happy he was to receive a text message.

 

Ethan has never been one to call or text ‘just for the sake of it’, he always had something of relevance to say – and as ridiculous as it sounds, that had always irritated Justin. He remembered once, quite early on in their relationship he had called Ethan late at night just to hear his voice, he’d humoured him at first, but whether it was intentional or not, he’d made him feel silly for calling.

 

 

Justin put his phone down and tried to continue on with what he was doing. His emotions were all over the place, how had he gone from feeling ludicrously happy to be texting Brian, to feeling like a complete dick within the space of a couple of seconds. Realistically he knew Brian had nothing to do with what was going on with Ethan and that things between them had been falling apart for a while – even though they both chose to ignore it, but he still felt guilty.

 

Briefly, he toys with the idea of texting Ethan. Just to see and maybe, this time, will be different. Maybe they’ll connect. Maybe they’ll agree to work harder and more actively on their relationship.

 

But even Justin knows that there’s nothing more to be done. That must say a lot about his optimism when it comes to his relationship with Ethan Gold.

 

Sighing, Justin tries to get the notions out of his mind. Because, when it comes down to it, he knows that whatever happens tonight will be for the best in the long run.

 

***

 

It was nearing one o'clock, and Brian was going over some of the final panels for the ‘Eat Fresh’ campaign when Cynthia popped her head around the door.

 

“Brian, Lindsay is on line one. Shall I put her through?”

 

He nodded his head and waited for the call to be connected.

 

“Linds, what’s up?” he asked. “Is Gus okay?”

 

“Brian, everything is fine. It’s just – I need a favor.”

 

“Try me.”

 

“Gus’s school called, apparently a water pipe has burst in the kitchen and they have to close the entire school until they can get it all under control.”

 

“Okay?”

 

“I need you to look after Gus for me this afternoon.”

 

“Linds, I can’t. I have a ton of work to do and then I have an appointment this afternoon at the hospital.”

 

“Take him with you, he’ll be fine. Please? I’d take him with me to work myself, but we have a major show opening this weekend at the gallery and I have so much to do.”

 

Brian sighed. He could never say no to Lindsay, especially when Gus was involved.

 

“Fine. What time will you be here?”

 

“Urm, we’re actually here already. We’re sitting in the car outside.”

 

“Come on up,” he told her as he rubbed his eyes tiredly.

 

“Cynthia!” he called out, “Get in here.”

 

Cynthia walked in and took a seat across from Brian at his desk.

 

“You know how to use the intercom, yet you refuse to use it,” she said, crossing her arms. “Why is that?”

 

“I like the sound of my own voice,” he offered as an explanation.

 

She rolled her eyes. “Of course, you do. What did you beckon me in here for anyway”?

 

“Linds is bringing Gus in. Can you cancel my meetings for this afternoon?”

 

“Of course. Anything else?”

 

“No, that’s all, you’re dismissed,” he teased, shooing her out of his office with his hand.

 

It wasn't long before he could hear the sound of little feet running down the hallway and an excited knocking at his door.

 

“Who is it?” Brian called out, knowing full well who was standing on the other side.

 

“Daddy, it’s me.”

 

“I'm sorry, do you have an appointment?”

 

“Daddddddyyyyyyy,” Gus giggled.

 

God, he loved making his son laugh.

 

“Oh alright, come in.”

 

The door opened and Gus ran in. Brian used his good leg to wheel his chair around his desk and prepared himself to catch the little boy running towards him at full speed with his good arm.

 

“Hi, Daddy!” Squealed Gus, as he snuggled into Brian, seeking warmth in his daddy’s arms.

 

“Hey there, Sonny Boy!”

 

“Thank you so much for this, Brian. I should be finished by six. Are you okay to give him dinner? I’ll call you when I’m done and I can pick him up from the loft.”

 

“That’s fine,” he said, ticking the little boy in his arms. “You get to spend the afternoon with Daddy.”

 

The look of pure excitement on his son’s face at getting to spend time with him never got old.

 

“Gus, you still have your lunch from school. Make sure you eat it all up, okay?”

 

“Yes, Mommy.”

 

Lindsay kissed them both goodbye and ran out.

 

“So, Sonny Boy, do you want to play, or help Daddy?”

 

Gus thought for a moment before answering. “I want to help you.”

 

“That’s my boy. Okay, now this is a very important job. I need you to take this stamp and press it down here in this little box whenever I pass you a piece of paper. Do you think you can do that”?

 

Gus nodded emphatically.

 

It was quite handy having someone else date the paperwork that he was signing. And the look of utter concentration on Gus’s face was adorable. He took his phone out and snapped a picture, he never thought he’d be the type of dad that would want to document every cute thing that his kid did, but it turns out that he was wrong.

 

“Am I doing a good job, Daddy?”

 

“You are doing an amazing job, buddy. Maybe you should quit school and come work for me. What do you think?”

 

“Daddy, I can’t,” Gus told him seriously as he held up five fingers. “I'm only five.”

 

“Really? Only five? I thought you were at least seven or eight. You’re so tall.”

 

“You’re so silly, Daddy.”

 

Brian kissed him on the cheek and ruffled his hair. “We have to leave in a minute.”

 

“’Kay. Where we going?”

 

“Daddy has an appointment for his knee – and then I was thinking maybe we could go and get some ice cream?”

 

“YES! But I have to eat my lunch first, okay?”

 

Brian nodded. “Of course. We’ll bring it with us,” he said, as he picked up Gus’s Olaf lunch bag and his Olaf backpack. His son’s obsession with Frozen was still as strong as ever.

 

They rode to the hospital in a taxi; Gus was so excited you’d think he’d never been in a car before.

 

“This is so exciting.”

 

“What? Riding in a taxi?”

 

“No, silly. Spending the day with you.”

 

Brian’s heart melted at his son’s words. It was times like these that made him think of his own father and the terrible things that went on in his house when he was Gus’s age. He looked at the little boy next to him and wrapped his arm tightly around his son.

 

“We’re here.”

 

Brian gave Gus some money so that he could pay the cab driver and then they made their way into the physiotherapy department.

 

“Well, well, well, who is this handsome little man that you have with you today, Brian?” Kathy asked, as she walked around her desk and crouched down in front of Gus.

 

“Kathy, this is my son, Gus. Gus, can you say hi to Kathy?”

 

“Hi,” Gus said shyly, as he wrapped himself around Brian’s good leg, trying his best to make himself invisible.

 

“Isn't he a darling?” she said, as she stood back up and pinched Brian’s cheeks affectionately. “Like father like son.”

 

“Daddy, I'm hungry.”

 

 

Thank you, Sonny Boy.

 

Brian smiled at Kathy and turned towards his son.

 

“Okay, come on buddy, go find a chair.”

 

Gus ran over and picked two chairs in the far corner of the waiting room.

 

Once Brian had made himself comfortable, he handed Gus his lunch bag and watched in amusement as his son took out his sandwich and sighed dramatically.

 

“What’s the matter?”

 

“Mommy kept the skin on.”

 

“The skin?”

 

“The skin of my sandwich.”

 

“That’s called the crust.”

 

“I don’t like it.”

 

“Then just eat around it.”

 

Gus looked up at him sadly. “I don’t want it now.”

 

Brian took the sandwich from his son’s hands and nibbled away at the crust, making little monster noises as he did it, which Gus thought was the funniest thing he’d ever seen.

 

“Thank you, Daddy,” Gus said as he took the now crustless sandwich back and began to eat it.

 

“Brian?”

 

Shit, how long has he been there?”

 

Brian looked up and saw Justin standing there, trying hard not to laugh at what he’d just seen.

 

“Are you ready? You’re early, so I don’t mind waiting.”

 

“No, we can come in now,” Brian said, as he helped Gus pack his lunch back into his bag. “Come on, Sonny Boy.”

 

As Brian walked passed, Justin leant in and whispered in his ear what he’d just heard Brian doing. “Om nom nom nom nom.”

 

 

Brian’s cheeks flushed at having been caught acting like a goofball, but the smile on Justin’s face as he teased him was enough to make him not care.

 

Walking over to Gus, Justin crouched down and introduced himself.

 

“Hi, I'm Justin. What’s your name?”

 

Once again, Gus hid behind Brian.

 

“Justin, this is my son, Gus. Gus, can you say hi to Justin for me?”

 

Gus poked his head around Brian’s leg and waved shyly. “Hi.”

 

“It’s nice to meet you, Gus.”

 

“Sorry, he’s a little shy,” Brian apologised, as his son once again went back to hiding behind him.

 

“It’s fine; I was the same when I was his age.”

 

“Is it okay for him to eat the rest of his lunch in here?”

 

“Of course.”

 

“Okay, Sonny Boy. Sit down here and finish your sandwich.”

 

“Daddy, where are you going?” Gus asked nervously, his eyes growing big at the thought of being left on his own in this strange room.

 

“Nowhere, buddy. I'm going to be right here,” he said, as he sat down on the bed. “Justin is just going to look at my knee for me.”

 

Gus nodded his head and ent back to his lunch.

 

“He’s cute.”

 

“Thanks. I think so too.”

 

“Come on then, lay down and let’s take a look at your knee. Did you ice it when you got home yesterday?”

 

“Uh…”

 

“I’ll take that as a no then,” Justin laughed, as he rolled Brian’s pant leg up and removed the brace.

 

“I fell asleep.”

 

“It’s okay, the swelling isn't too bad today, which is good.”

 

Justin rubbed his hands together to warm them up before he began working on the tight muscles of Brian’s leg.

 

“Is the pressure okay?”

 

“Yeah,” he nodded, “that feels good.”

 

He lifted Brian’s leg up onto his shoulder while supporting his injured knee.

 

Fuck! This shouldn't be so fucking hot, but it is. Breathe…Thank God Gus is here, though, because with my leg thrown over his shoulder like that, I want him to do bad, bad things to me…did I really just think that?

 

“We’re just going to do some simple stretches. Try and push down for me, okay?”

 

“Arghhh ouch!”

 

“STOP IT! WHY ARE YOU HURTING MY DADDY?” Shouted Gus, as he pulled Justin off of Brian and stood between the two men, protecting his daddy as fiercely as he could.

 

Brian winced as he sat up, pulling Gus towards him.

 

“Hey, Sonny Boy, that wasn't very nice.”

 

“He was hurting you, Daddy. That wasn't very nice,” Gus said, giving Justin his meanest look – which wasn't all that mean.

 

“He wasn't hurting me, Gus. I promise.”

 

“But you said ouch.”

 

“I know, but my leg hurts from the accident, Justin wasn't hurting me. He’s helping make it better.”

 

Gus looked unconvinced and eyed Justin warily, his little arms crossed in front of his chest. “I don’t like it when my daddy says ouch.”

 

“I don’t either,” said Justin. “Hey, I have an idea.”

 

Brian watched as Justin pulled over a stool.

 

“Lay back down,” he instructed. “Gus, would you like to help me?”

 

Gus nodded his head enthusiastically and climbed up onto the stool, placing a kiss on Brian’s cheek.

 

“Hi Daddy,” he giggled.

 

“Hi Gus,”

 

“Justin, I know how we can make Daddy’s knee better.”

 

“Yeah? What do I have to do?” Justin asked seriously, as though he was taking advice from another therapist and not a five-year-old child.

 

“Kiss it better. When I hurt myself, my mommies always kiss it better. It works, I promise.”

 

Justin nodded his head, “I see.”

 

“Kiss it then.”

 

Brian gave Justin a little wink, “Yeah, Justin, you have to kiss it or it won’t get better.”

 

Looking up, Justin caught the smirk on Brian’s face.

 

“Uh – I don’t know. I mean, I would, but I shouldn't… ethics and stuff. But…”

 

He’s fucking adorable.

 

Brian rolled his eyes and ran his hand over Gus’s hair. “Why don’t you kiss it, buddy?”

 

Gus leaned over and placed a couple of soft kisses on Brian’s knee.

 

“All better?” He asked, ready to give more kisses if needed.

 

“All better, thank you.”

 

“I told you,” Gus said triumphantly as he looked at Justin. “I told you it works.”

 

“You really did. I may have to start including kisses in my treatment.”

 

“I could have been the first patient it was tried on. Oh, well. You missed out,” Brian teased.

 

“I really did,” Justin murmured.

 

It’s when Justin’s blush started to rise into his cheeks that Brian’s eyes widened and a shit eating grin formed on his face.

 

“...Shut up,” Justin told him in a low voice before letting out an embarrassed chuckle, “Now turn over and lay on your stomach.”

 

“Things are moving awfully quickly…”

 

“You are too much,” Justin laughed.

 

“What?"

 

“There’s a five-year-old in the room yet here you are, still throwing out the innuendos.”

 

Brian shrugged and sucked in his breath.

 

“I'm five and a quarter. Aren't I, Daddy?”

 

“That’s right, you are,” Brian said, as he rubbed at his shoulder.

 

“That hurt, didn't it?” Justin couldn't help but laugh as he examined Brian’s shoulder for any damage. “You just pulled it. Be careful.”

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

Justin shook his head, “you’re ridiculous. Now turn over and scoot down so your feet are at the end of the table.”

 

This time, Brian did as he was told and turned to lie on his stomach.

 

“Gus, you see that towel over there? Can you bring that to me, please?”

 

Gus jumped off of the stool, excited to be able to help.

 

“Here you go,” he said, as he handed Justin the towel.

 

“Right, can you fold that in half?,” Justin asked, “Then you can put it under your daddy’s thigh for me.”

 

Gus did as he was told, his tongue caught between his teeth in concentration as he tried to line up the corners. “Like this?”

 

“That’s perfect, now put it here,” Justin said as he lifted Brian’s leg up slightly so they could lay the towel down.

 

Gus took his time making sure the towel was in the right place before giving Brian’s leg a little tickle as he removed his hand.

 

Brian looked at his son and smiled warmly, “I wouldn't do that if I were you, Sonny Boy, you never know when the tickle monster will make an appearance.”

 

Gus squealed and moved out of the way of Brian’s hand. “Noooo, Daddy. No tickling.”

 

“No tickling,” Brian promised. “Right, what now?” he asked, looking up at Justin.

 

“Make sure you keep your arms down beside your body, and I’m going to help bend your knee. Tell me if it hurts too much and we’ll stop.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“It will feel tight, but that’s normal.”

 

Brian smirked; it was too easy to mess with Justin when he said things like this.

 

“What am I going to do?” Gus asked, not wanting to be left out of what the grown-ups were doing.

 

“You have the most important job. When I bend your daddy’s leg, you need to count to five for me. Can you do that?”

 

“Uh huh, I can count to a trillion.”

 

Justin placed one hand on Brian’s calf and the other on his butt, making sure he stayed in the same position. “No way, that’s awesome. I knew you would be perfect for this. Are you ready?”

 

Brian and Gus both nodded, Gus the more eager of the two.

 

Justin’s hand on Brian’s butt ensured that Brian remained still; while his other hand worked on bending his knee.

 

“One, two, threeeee, four, five.”

 

“How does that feel?” Justin asked as he lowered Brian’s leg back to the table.”

 

“Sore.”

 

“It will be. We just need to do this another couple of times, but we don’t want to overwork it today. You’re going to feel it tomorrow.”

 

“Urgh.”

 

“You’ll be fine. Once we start doing this regularly, you’ll be able to do it on your own at home and it will get much easier.”

 

Brian buried his face into the bed as Justin and Gus continued on with bending his knee.

 

“And we’re done.”

 

“Well done, Daddy. You’re so brave. Wasn't he brave, Justin?”

 

“Probably the bravest patient I've had all day,” Justin tells him as he lifted Gus off of the stool.

 

The look of utter adoration on his son’s face made Brian feel like some sort of superhero.

 

“I'm just going to print off some gentle stretches for you to do at home and then we’re done,” smiled Justin as he walked over to the printer on his desk. “Does your leg feel okay now?”

 

“Yeah it’s fine,” Brian assured him as he rolled down his pant leg, strapped on his brace and hopped off of the table. “How long do you think I need to wear this for?”

 

“Probably only another couple of weeks.”

 

“Only?”

 

“Is it that uncomfortable?”

 

Brian shook his head. “No, it just rubs a bit. I’ll be okay.”

 

Justin disappeared into the little supply closet to the right of his desk and came out with a bunch of cotton padding. “Here, let’s see if this helps,” he said, as he bent down and redid Brian’s brace, placing the padding underneath the Velcro fastenings. “That should feel better.”

 

Smiling down, the dirty thoughts ran through Brian’s mind at lightning speed at the sight of Justin down on his knees. “It uh, it does.”

 

“Good.”

 

“Daddy, can we go for ice cream now?”

 

“In a minute, kiddo. We’re almost done here, okay?”

 

“Okay.”

 

Brian turned his attention back to Justin. “Are you finished for the day?”

 

“Yeah, you’re my last patient.”

 

“Would you like to come with us? We’re just going to the mall to grab some ice cream,” he then lowered his voice, “it’s actually frozen yoghurt, but don’t tell him.”

 

“Is Justin coming?” Gus asked excitedly. “Do you love ice cream too?”

 

“I love ice cream. Are you sure you don’t mind?” Justin asked. Ethan wouldn't be home for hours and he knew if he were left alone with his thoughts he would work himself up about their conversation that night.

 

“Not at all. We’d love Justin to come with us, right, Sonny Boy?”

 

“Yes come with come with.”

 

“Looks like you don’t have a choice,” laughed Brian as he watched his son grab hold of Justin’s hand and excitedly pull him towards the door.

 

“Let me just grab my coat – here, take these,” Justin said, as he handed Brian a bunch of printouts. “They’re your stretches.”

 

Brian folded them up and put them in the front of Gus’s backpack as he watched Justin walk back into the little supply closet and collect his coat.

 

Thank God he isn't wearing that hideous sweater this time.

 

Once Justin had signed out and said goodbye to Kathy, they made their way outside to find a cab.

 

“Do your coat up,” Brian said, as he adjusted the hat on Gus’s head. “It’s cold out.”

 

As he said this, he noticed Justin rubbing his hands together. His fingers already going white from the cold.

 

“Are you cold?”

 

“What? Oh, no. I'm fine.”

 

Brian pulled his gloves off and handed them to Justin. “Wear these.”

 

“I'm not wearing your gloves, Brian. You need them.”

 

“Put them on.”

 

“Brian…”

 

“Just put them on.”

 

Brian wasn't backing down, so Justin slid them on, his fingers instantly warming up. “They’re a bit big on me,” he grinned, showing off how much room there was at the tips of his fingers.

 

Luckily they didn't have to wait long for a cab and were at the mall within twenty minutes.

 

“Ice cream first, Daddy?”

 

“Yes, ice cream first,” he laughed, watching his son eagerly run on ahead. “Don’t go too far, Sonny Boy.”

 

“I won’t, Daddy,” he called back, already having slowed down to look at something he’d found on the floor.

 

Brian and Justin walked the rest of the way to the Frozen Yoghurt store in a comfortable silence. Brian couldn't remember ever being this at ease around Adam and that thought kind of scared him. He didn't want to focus on it too much, but it had to mean something, right?

 

“Ohh ‘No Weigh Wednesday’s’,” Justin said excitedly as he pointed to the sign outside Sweet Frog.

 

“Is this it, Daddy?” Gus asked, bouncing on the balls of his feet outside the store as he waited for Brian to catch up to him.

 

“I don’t know, do you think this place sells ice cream?” He asked teasingly.

 

“YES.”

 

“Then this is it.”

 

Gus ran in and picked up his paper cup and waited for Brian and Justin to do the same.

 

“You have to slow down a bit, Gus. Daddy can’t move that fast at the moment,” Brian reminded him. He hated these fucking crutches and how they slowed him down.

 

“Here, what do you want?” Justin asked as he took two cups from the dispenser. “I’ll get it and you go and find us a seat.”

 

“Original with Strawberries and blueberries… but I need to help Gus.”

 

“I can do it. Is there anything he isn't allowed?”

 

Brian shook his head. “I’ll go pay, and meet you over there,” he said, pointing to a table in the far corner.

 

Justin went to take his wallet out but Brian shooed his hand away. “We invited you.”

 

“Thanks… You ready, Gus?”

 

Gus nodded and took hold of Justin’s hand. “Come on, I want to show you my favouritest flavour.”

 

Brian paid and took a seat, watching as they both filled their cups up to the top with frozen yoghurt and ridiculous amounts of toppings. There was something special about watching Gus run circles around Justin. His kid was genuinely quite shy and not all that great around new people, but he’d taken to Justin immediately. Clearly his son had good taste.

 

Justin walked over carrying two very full cups of frozen yogurt with Gus following behind, his own cup gripped tightly in his hands.

 

“Here you go,” smiled Justin, placing Brian’s froyo in front of him as he took a seat. His own cup piled to the top with all kinds of sugary crap.

 

“Daddy, guess what???”

 

“What?”

 

“Justin likes ‘prinkles too,” he said, as he took a seat next to Brian - sprinkles and chocolate shavings flying everywhere as he stuck his spoon in and began shovelling food into his mouth.

 

Justin shot out of his chair and ran to the counter, grabbing a handful of napkins.

 

“Let’s roll your sleeves up,” he told Gus, as he helped the little boy pull up the sleeves of his sweater and tucked a napkin into the front.

 

“’Ank you,” he mumbled, his mouth already filled with M&M’s and other chocolatey goodness.

 

“Thank you,” Brian smiled warmly “You’re really good with him.”

 

“Thanks,” he blushed. “Gus is adorable; you can’t help but smile and have fun while being around him.”

 

“He must get that from me.”

 

Justin looked up and saw the teasing look in Brian’s eyes and laughed.

 

“Yeah. He must.”

 

It was so fucking easy to just relax, and be himself with Justin.There were no preconceptions whatsoever, and that felt really good. He’d changed a lot over the years, but there were still a couple of people in his life that found that difficult to accept.

 

Justin was a natural with Gus and the kid adored him Adam had never even met him. There had been opportunities for the two to meet, but something always ‘came up’. When he thinks about that now, he realises how fucked up that was.

 

Brian shook his head, bringing himself back to the present. He couldn't let himself get lost in his thoughts, Adam wasn't worth it.

 

“So, what did you get?” He asked, looking at Justin’s almost empty cup.

 

“Chocolate and strawberry.”

 

“And ‘prinkles,” Gus chipped in.

 

“And sprinkles.”

 

“And what about you, Sonny Boy, what did you get”?

 

Gus put his spoon down and wiped his mouth on his arm. “Chocolate and cake batter with lots and lots of ‘prinkles and M&M’s on top. It’s so yummy, Daddy.”

 

Brian’s stomach churned at the thought of ingesting that much sugar.

 

“Wanna try some?” Gus asked, his small hand bringing a large spoonful to Brian’s mouth.

 

He hated to admit it, but it was good, and he swore he saw Justin watching intently as he licked the spoon clean.

 

“Daddy, I'm finished.”

 

“Good boy.”

 

“Can we go and play now, please?”

 

Brian looked at Justin and saw that he’d finished his too. “Yes, are you okay with that?” he asked.

 

“Sure,” he nodded. “Do you not want the rest of yours?”

 

“Nah, I'm good. Why, do you want it?” Brian asked teasingly, seeing the way the blonde was looking longingly at his practically still full cup.

 

Justin shook his head, embarrassed to have been caught out.

 

“Enjoy it,” laughed Brian, as he pushed the cup across the table. “You can take it with you.”

 

Gus was jumping up and down impatiently by the table, the sugar rush having kicked in. “Come onnnnnnnn.”

 

“We’re coming, buddy,” he laughed, loving how excitable his kid was.

 

Justin handed Brian his crutches and they followed Gus out of the store.

 

“Can I go on one of those, please, Daddy?” begged Gus, pointing to the motorised animal scooters on offer to help kids get around the mall more easily.

 

“Sure, which one do you want to go on?” Brian asked as they made their way towards the vast array of giant electronic stuffed animals.

 

“There are so many,” gasped Gus as he ran towards them. “Urrrrm, I think I like the elephant.”

 

Brian handed his money over and stood next to his son. “Yeah? Good choice. Now, climb on.”

 

Gus looked at him and then the elephant, before turning back to Brian. “I'm scared.”

 

The lady from ‘Giddy up Rides’, spoke up. “If he’s scared, you can ride with him until he’s more comfortable on it.”

 

Brian looked down at his leg and sighed.

 

“I can go on with him – if he’d like?” Justin suggested quietly. “And if you don’t mind.”

 

“Why would I mind?” Brian asked curiously.

 

“I – I don’t know.”

 

“Yay!! You’re going to ride with me, Justin?”

 

“Yes, if that is okay with you?”

 

Gus threw himself into Justin’s arms. “Yesssssssss.”

 

Justin grinned at Brian as he put Gus onto the elephant and climbed on behind him, wrapping his arms around him protectively.

 

“My, what a long trunk you have,” Brian said, making himself laugh as he stroked the elephant’s trunk.

 

“Stop it,” warned Justin as he too began to laugh.

 

“What’s so funny?” Gus asked as he turned his head to look at Justin.

 

“Nothing,” Justin said as he looked at Brian pointedly, “Your daddy is just being silly.”

 

Gus giggled. “My daddy is always silly.”

 

“I am not.”

 

That just made Gus giggle more.

 

“Alright, are you ready to test drive this little guy out?” Justin asked.

 

I’m driving?

 

“Yes. All you have to do is push this down… and if you want to stop, you just stop pushing. How does that sound?”

 

“Scary.”

 

“Come on, you can do it,” Justin assured him. “I’m right behind you.”

 

Gus pushed down on the lever and the elephant began to move, squealing in excitement as they made their way down the mall’s walkway at an excruciatingly slow pace.

 

“Are we going too fast for you?” Justin teased.

 

“I...I don’t know!” Gus giggled, almost hysterically, so excited over such a simple ride.

 

Justin suppressed a laugh, looked towards Brian with bright eyes, and saw that the older man was smiling about Gus’s excitement too.

 

“At least your daddy can keep up with us,” Justin teased.

 

Brian rolled his eyes good-naturedly and slowed down, pretending to find it difficult to keep up. “I don’t know about that.”

 

“Are you ready to try and ride on your own now?” Justin asked.

 

Gus nodded his head and bounced excitedly in his seat.

 

Justin hopped off the elephant and let Gus take full reign of the contraption.

 

Brian looked on proudly as Gus handled the elephant, wobbling only slightly as he got used to steering on his own.

 

“Thank you for doing that.”

 

Justin gave Brian one of his sunniest of sunshine smiles, “It was no problem.”

 

“I know, but still.”

 

They walked in silence for a couple of minutes, both just enjoying watching Gus and what was going on around them.

 

“He thinks the world of you, you know?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Gus, he worships you. He thinks you’re a superhero.”

 

“Did he really say that?”

 

Justin looked at Brian and was surprised by the vulnerability he saw lurking behind those gorgeous hazel eyes.

 

“Yeah, he did. Why, does that shock you?”

 

“I… I guess it does, yeah,” admitted Brian, the thought of his son thinking of him as some sort of superhero was completely new to him. He knew his son loved him, they told each other all the time. But it still amazed him that his son’s eyes would light up as soon as he saw him and a look of pure awe, affection and complete and utter admiration would be written across his face. Yet, there was still that small part of him that doubted his abilities as a father. That he’d suddenly wake up one day and have morphed into Jack. Realistically he knew this would never happen, but it still scared the shit out of him. “What did he say?”

 

“That you’re an expert and know the answer to everything

 

Brian grinned; of course, his son would think that - at the moment he did know the answer to everything Gus asked him. He knows that will change as he gets older, so why not just enjoy it while it lasts? “Well, he’s not wrong there.”

 

“You’re so full of yourself,” Justin laughed heartily.

 

Brian nodded his head in agreement. It’s true, he was. This only made Justin laugh more.

 

“And that you’re really tall.”

 

Brian looked confused. “What?”

 

“Apparently your height qualifies you for superhero status.”

 

“Do I sense some bitterness here?” Brian teased.

 

“Oh please,” Justin scoffed, “What I lack in height I make up for in other areas.”

 

Brian looked him up and down appreciatively. “I'm sure you do.”

 

“Oh my God, that’s not what I meant,” said Justin, his cheeks turning a beautiful shade of crimson. A sight Brian was appreciating more and more each time it happened.

 

“Mmhmm. I'm sure it’s exactly what you meant.”

 

“No, it really wasn't,” Justin laughed as he tried to explain, the embarrassment still evident in his voice and in the pinks of his cheeks. “I was kidding, I was going to say my amazing personality.”

 

Brian raised his eyebrows in amusement. “I see.”

 

“It really was,” smirks Justin playfully.

 

“So you say you're not bigger in that way?"

 

Justin didn't have a chance to respond before Gus called their names frantically.

 

“DADDY, JUSTIN, LOOK!! Gus shouted as he stopped outside the Disney Store. “There are so many Olafs.”

 

They followed Gus into the store, the ‘Giddy Up’ ride long forgotten as he charged around touching everything in sight. Brian watched in amusement as his son danced around with a large Anna doll in his arms, the words to ‘Love is an Open Door’ being sung at full volume.

 

“Daddy, who is your favourite? Anna or Elsa?”

 

“Urm… Elsa?”

 

“Really?” replied Gus, a hint of disappointment in his voice at his Daddy’s answer. “JR loves Elsa too, but Anna is my favourite.”

 

“She’s my favourite too, Gus,” Justin chips in.

 

“Really?” The little boy asked, delighted to finally have someone to share his love with.

 

“Really,” Justin nodded. “Why is she your favourite?”

 

Gus thought about his answer for a moment. “Because… she has pretty red hair. And it doesn't matter that she doesn't have magical powers like Elsa, she is still special.”

 

“She is,” Justin nodded his head in agreement. Brian stared at the two of them, unable to believe that Justin was having such a conversation with his kid.

 

“This fucking movie - he’s obsessed,” grumbled Brian.

 

“The animation is beautiful, though,” replied Justin candidly.

 

“I didn't know you were into that sort of stuff.”

 

Justin laughed. “There’s a lot you don’t know about me.”

 

Brian smiled to himself. Hopefully, that will change and soon.

 

“I used to want to work in animation,” Justin explained.

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah, it was what I was originally going to go to school for.”

 

“What happened? You decided art wasn't for you?” Brian asked, wondering how you go from wanting to become an animator to working as a physiotherapist.

 

“I had an accident.”

 

Brian wanted to ask him about it, but he could tell by the look on Justin’s face that there was more to the story than he was letting on and the middle of the Disney store was not the place to do it.

 

Then Justin got a look on his face, one that seemed uncomfortable and unhappy. Brian wanted to apologize. For what, he didn't know. But the expression just confirmed that there was more to the story. But when Brian prepared to ask Justin what was wrong, the younger man’s cell phone rang.

 

Justin pulled the cell out of his pocket and looked at the screen, which only made Justin’s frown deepen.

 

“Hey, Ethan?...You’re home?....Yeah...Yeah, I know.”

 

Brian watched Justin closely and his eyes widened when Justin’s eyes started to look almost teary.

 

“Okay. I'm on my way...And Ethan? I...I love you. I’ll be there soon.”

 

Justin hung up the phone and glanced at Brian before forcing a smile.

 

“Sorry about that. It...It was really great hanging out with you. I wish that I could stay longer-”

 

“But you need to get back home,” Brian finished.

 

Justin nodded, seemingly relieved that Brian didn't ask any questions about whatever was going on.

 

“Are you leaving me and Daddy?” Gus asked, suddenly at their side once more.

 

Justin smiled and squatted down, “For today, buddy. But I really liked hanging out with you. I'm sure we’ll meet up again.”

 

Gus nodded enthusiastically, “We will plan something! Daddy will call you and ask you out.”

 

Just then, Justin turned his head up to smirk at Brian and Brian couldn't help but feel a blush rise up in his cheeks at his son’s choice of words.

 

Then Justin leaned in, “He better. I haven’t had this much fun in a while. I better get going, though. I have some grown up things to do. Blah.”

 

Gus nodded, sympathetic to Justin’s plight, before launching himself at Justin for a hug.

 

“See you soon, Jus!” Gus told him as he patted Justin on the back and let go.

 

Justin stood up as soon as he was released from the embrace and turned to look at Brian.

 

“See you soon.”

 

Brian can’t help but watch Justin walk away for as long as his son will let him.

 

“He’s nice,” Gus told him as soon as Justin couldn't be seen anymore, “Do you like him like I like Anna?”

 

Brian looked down at his son’s innocent face and rolled his eyes, “You think you are so smooth, don’t you?”

 

“Huh?”

 

Brian sighed. It was too late. He knew his son’s game now. But Gus just might be right.

 

“Justin has a boyfriend,” Brian informed his son, whose expression fell at the words until the little boy unexpectedly perked up.

 

“Hans was Anna’s boyfriend too but Kristoff was better so she got with Kristoff. You’re better than any boyfriend, Daddy.”

 

Brian barked out a surprised laugh at that, “You sure know to butter your dear old dad up.”

 

“Does that mean I can pick out a toy?”

 

Brian thought on it and nodded, “Sure. Go ahead.”

 

And, while Brian wasn't that thrilled that Gus picked out the large Anna doll, he knew, better than ever, that the heart wanted whatever it decided to desire, brain be damned.

Chapter End Notes:

Giddy Up Rides
http://giddyuprides.com/ As always, I'd love to know what you think, so please leave a review. You guys have been SO lovely, thank you!