- Text Size +

A Tale of Four Queers


Chapter 9



Brian raced into the church shouting, "Justin!"


Justin emerged from the offices of the pastor with a worried look on his face. "What's wrong?"


"You have got to come see this," Brian said grabbing Justin's hand. "Everybody, come see this."


Brian led them back outside and over to the small grotto. He stood in front of it holding out his hand as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. They all looked at him bewildered.


Brian sighed. "Look, really look!" He gestured towards the sculpted figures once again.


Bobby was the first to gasp and he grabbed John's hand. Justin was strangely silent.


"Do you see it?" Brian asked.


Justin turned eyes filled with tears to look at Brian. "It's beautiful. This has to be Patrick's work." Brian nodded.


"It reminds me of the boulder at the stream on the farm," John said with a nostalgic look on his face.


"Exactly," Bobby said. "I think I recognized the boulder before I realized who the figures were."


"It's like that painting of Kinney and Patrick," Justin said softly, "only created in stone. They must have been thinking of home. See how they're reaching out to each other, like they want to touch but they can't; the world doesn't allow it."


"It must have been hard for them to live so far away from their families and friends. They were gone for years," John said.


"It's hard to move to a new place and leave one life behind, but it isn't always a bad thing,"

Edna offered. She had done that many years ago when her husband had come to Central America as a missionary. And she had never looked back. Well, not too often after the first year or two.


"Hey, the guy on the rock looks like you two," Maria said sidling up to Brian and nodding towards Brian and John as she made the statement. "Are you guys brothers?"


John nodded and looked quizzically at the woman. Brian decided he better make some introductions.


"Everybody, this is Maria. I met her out here a few minutes ago. She has lived in Philadelphia." He then introduced his brother and everyone else. Maria shook hands and listened to the story of Kinney and Patrick retold once again. As she did she leaned close to Brian. She looked like she was ready to take hold of his hand at the first opportunity. None of this was lost on Justin.


Having examined the sculptures and taken pictures of their find, Edna suggested they have lunch. She invited Maria to join them. Maria suggested they go to the only hotel in town which happened to have quite a decent restaurant. That was where they had planned to go anyway, and since it wasn't far down the street they decided to walk.


Maria stepped in beside Brian, but Edna spoke to her asking about how she came to be back in Panama. Maria was forced to drop back and walk with the elderly woman in order to answer her question. Justin quickly took her place beside Brian.


"Where do you find them?" he asked.


"They find me," Brian smirked.


Justin snorted. "Did you tell her you're gay … or that I'm your partner?"


"It … um … it never really came up."


"Well, something else better not come up tonight or Maria will have to take care of it for you."


"Justin…"


"Don't Justin me! She's after you."


"I know, but it's harmless."


"So why is she having lunch with us?"


"Edna asked her."


Justin glared at his partner but said no more as they arrived at the hotel. They decided to check in since they were there. Brian said he would get a table for them in the dining room while the others took care of their rooms. The next thing he knew Maria was standing with him waiting for the hostess to organize a table large enough for their group.


"Are you busy tonight?" she asked with a smile.


"I'm gay," Brian replied deciding to end the farce immediately.


"I figured."


"Then why are you coming on to me."


"Well, duh, you're gorgeous, and I've been with gay guys before. Never had any complaints either."


Brian studied her for a moment. "Are you serious?"


"Absolutely. We could have a good time. I haven't seen anything as luscious as you since I came back here."


"I'm sorry but I'm taken. Justin is my partner," Brian explained.


"What about a threesome? He's not too hard on the eyes either?"


"I don't think so," Brian said shaking his head.


"Oh, come on. I never thought you would be an uptight prude or in a monogamous relationship."


"Well, neither did I. But I guess I am."


"Too bad," Maria said with a frown. "I guess I'll skip lunch." With that she turned and left the hotel.


"Where did Maria go?" Justin asked seeing her exit the front door.


"I turned her down," Brian smirked.


"She asked?" Justin said his eyes getting very large.


"She suggested a fucking three way. And you were the third, by the way."


"No!!!"


"Oh yeah, she's a piece of work. Told me she had been with other gay guys and never had any complaints."


"Jesus."


"Might have been interesting," Brian observed sticking his tongue in his cheek.


"Over your dead body."


"Yes, dear," Brian said contritely.


"We have our room," Justin said holding up his key.


"Want to use it?" Brian said with a grin.


"I'm hungry."


"We could have a quickie."


"Did Maria get you all hot and bothered, sweetheart?" Justin teased.


"Shit, you just made my dick go soft."


"So, you will eat your lunch like a good little gay boy and then I'll take you up to our room and destroy all fucking thoughts of Maria while I fuck your brains out."


"Deal!" Brian smiled as they made their way to their table.


When John, Bobby, Edna and Miguel joined Brian and Justin, they were curious about the missing Maria.


"What happened to Maria?" asked Edna.


"She didn't like what was on the menu so she decided to skip lunch. I don't think we'll see her again," Brian explained and Justin nodded. John, still rather naive at times regarding certain aspects of Brian and Justin's life, required further explanation.


"I don't understand. We just got our menus, how did she find out that she wouldn't like anything?" John asked rather bewildered.


Before Brian could say anything, Bobby explained the situation. "It's more like the menu didn't like her." Both Brian and Justin nodded in agreement.


"I'm sorry, Baby, I'm not following you."


Edna spoke up. "John, apparently Maria made a play for Brian and got angry when he declined the offer. And do I assume correctly that the offer included Justin?" Brian and Justin nodded again. "Well in that case, good riddance. I'm sure she was sincere with her offer but I think you boys have more important things to do with your time here. Now shall we order our lunch? The Pastor of the church said there were some records saved before the storm hit. They may give you more insight to the statues."


"Unbelievable," John muttered to himself as he perused his menu. "How do you two get into these situations?"


Not looking up from his menu, Justin answered. "It's a gift."


Although Justin's offer of fucking Brian's brains out was most tempting, it was deferred for more research into the statues of the grotto. So after lunch, the group headed back to the church. The current Pastor had contacted the recently retired pastor and it was learned that many of the old Bibles had been saved and were now housed at the library for safe keeping. Anyone with permission from the church was welcome to look at them. With written permission in their hands, Justin and Bobby went to the library. Brian and John continued to explore the rest of the churchyard for any more evidence of Kinney and Patrick. Miguel escorted Edna back toward the shops and the hotel. The group met back at the hotel for dinner and to exchange what they learned.


"Were there any more statues?" Justin asked hopefully.


"No. John thinks there may have been but there was something with the stone they used. You explain it. You're the rock man." Brian quipped.


"I am not the rock man, I just know a little about building materials and what will erode faster. We found what looks like the bases of quite a few statues but the sculptures themselves have eroded away. It could be that Patrick was just learning his craft or the proper materials weren't available. We're lucky that he was able to get a hold of a few pieces of marble. That's the only reason why the grotto statues survived. What did you two learn at the library?"


"Apparently Kinney and Patrick stayed here for a long time. They almost settled here but a pair of sisters were attracted to them and asked their father to arrange an engagement. When the father came to talk with Kinney and Patrick..."


"Don't tell me he found them, uh, um..."


"No, Brian, he didn't. But he somehow realized that they weren't the marrying kind. Kinney and Patrick left the village and continued northward."


"Justin, that's so sad."


"I know, Edna. They never found some place safe for them to live. At least we have Liberty Avenue." Justin gazed at Brian and grew very quiet.


Brian knew that Justin was feeling the pain that Kinney and Patrick must have shared. They had had a long day. It was time to get Justin to bed.


"Justin? Do you have the key to our room? I'm feeling tired, I think I'll go up. Call it a night. We can figure out tomorrow's itinerary at breakfast."


"Brian, you're not sick, are you?"


"No, Justin, maybe too much sun."


"Then I'll go with you."


"You don't have to. Stay, finish dinner."


"I'm not that hungry. I'd rather go with you."


"If you insist."


"I do. Sometimes I don't know what you'd ever do without me. You don't know how to take care of yourself. Come on, big guy, time for your beauty sleep."


"My bossy bottom."


The rest of the table watched Justin lead his man through the restaurant.


"Brian is a remarkably perceptive man, isn't he?" Edna observed.


"Yes, he is. That's why those two are so suited for each other. Both so stubborn, too smart at times and so protective of each other, it's scary at times. Brian realized what Justin discovered today would sadden Justin. The only way to turn that tide was to get Justin to take care of him."


"John, you are an equally perceptive man. And I agree. I'm sure we won't hear the last of this. But I think I'll follow their example. It's time for bed."


John and Bobby signed the check and they all retired for the evening.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The boys spent the rest of their time in Colon staying with Edna and checking out neighboring churches. They found little to interest them. Anything that seemed promising turned out to have been destroyed by weather or fire or the attrition of age.


They spent some time at the beach in between their excursions. That always made for a fun day. They all enjoyed the hot weather and cool water. By the end of their stay they were tan and fit and ready to move on.


Finally they broached the subject of leaving with Edna. They knew she would not be pleased that they wanted to move on.


"I'm really going to miss you boys," Edna said sadly. "I knew this day would come, but I kept hoping it wouldn't be for a while yet. I've enjoyed having you here so much."


"And we've enjoyed being here, Miss Edna," John said gallantly.


"We sure have," Justin said with a smile. "And you helped us find out so much about Kinney and Patrick."


"Not as much as I would have liked to find," she said. "It's hard to believe how much has been lost over the years. But we have to remember in a tropical climate storms and nature claim back what is theirs. Very little stands the test of time."


"Some of Patrick's statues survived, and we've found Kinney's paintings in several churches. I think we've done pretty well so far," Bobby told them all.


"I would have liked to have found more," Justin admitted. "But I'm pretty happy with what we've accomplished."


"How about you, Brian?" Edna asked noting how silent the handsome man had been.


"Hm," Brian said.


"That's not much of an answer," Edna said with a laugh.


"Excuse me," Brian said standing and heading outside.


He looked at his watch deciding what the time would be in Pittsburgh. He pulled out his cell phone and punched in the number.


"Hello?"


"Lindsay, I'm glad I caught you home."


"Just got in from work and from picking up Gus."


"Is he there? I wanted to speak to him."


Lindsay smiled knowing that Gus would be so excited. "Gus, Daddy wants to talk to you."


"Daddy!" Gus yelled into the phone. "Are you coming home?"


"Hey, Sonny Boy," Brian replied his voice softening at the sound of his son's voice. "I'm not coming home just yet, but soon."


"Now!" Gus ordered.


"I'm taking lots of pictures so we can look at all the places I've been," Brian replied trying to diffuse a temper tantrum.


"Can we make a album?" Gus asked.


"Yes, we sure can. I love you, Sonny Boy, and I'll see you soon."


"Love you too, Daddy."


"Put mommy back on for a minute, Gus."


There was a pause and Lindsay came back on the line. "He misses you so much."


"I miss him too, but we're only about halfway through our trip. We've met some interesting people and found some more Kinneys."


"That's great, Brian. I'm glad you called."


"Tell the gang we're having a fabulous time!" Brian smirked. "I'll see you in a few weeks."


"Bye."


Brian shut his phone and turned to find Justin standing behind him. "How's Gus?" Justin asked.


"He's fine. So's Lindsay."


"That's good," Justin said wrapping himself into Brian. "Are you sick of this trip? Do you want to go home?"


Brian raised an eyebrow and studied his armful of blond.