- Text Size +
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

 

Brian and Justin had been back from their adventures in South America for a couple of weeks when a new problem reared its head. Sitting in his office trying to get caught up on all the clients he was behind with, Brian glanced at the clock. It was almost nine o'clock at night. He had been at this since seven in the morning. He rubbed his palms over his tired eyes and logged off the computer. It was time to go home.

As Brian gathered up the papers on his desk, he heard a noise from outside his office. A chill ran up his spine. No one should be in Kinnetik at this hour, no one but him.

"Who's there?" Brian called.

"Brian," a voice replied.

"Michael, what the fuck are you doing here?" Brian reacted feeling his heart rate start to slow. "You scared the shit out of me."

"Sorry," said Michael coming through the office door. "I need to talk to you."

"About what?"

"He's gone, Brian. He's gone."

"Gone? You mean Ben? Is he…?"

"Shit no! Ben's not dead."

"Christ, Michael, can you be a little fucking clearer."

"It's Hunter."

"Hunter? Has something happened to the littlest hustler?"

"Don't call him that," Michael said angrily.

"Okay, okay," Brian said raising his hand. He was startled by Michael's vehemence. It wasn't like he hadn't called Hunter the littlest hustler many times before. "So tell me what's going on."

"Hunter's been having a hard time at school," Michael began. Brian waited as Michael seemed to collect his thoughts before continuing. "Some people found out that he was HIV positive and he's been ostracized ever since."

"I see."

"You don't see, and frankly Ben and I never realized how bad it must have been."

"It's the summer holidays. School has barely started up again," Brian replied noting that school had been back in session for less than a week.

"We knew Hunter was dreading going back. He said as much … but we kept telling him that everything would be all right."

"But it wasn't."

Michael shook his head. "We had no idea how bad it was. The first day back he was taunted by a group of jocks who called him all kinds of names and told him they didn't want him in their school."

"Did Hunter tell you this?"

"No, he never said anything. Cally, this girl he is friends with told Ben."

"So what happened?"

"Hunter went to school the next day, or so we thought."

"But in reality he didn't," Brian said.

"No, he must have come back to the house, packed a few things, and he left. We didn't realize he was gone until that night when he hadn't returned. When we got worried, we called Cally and she said he hadn't come to school. We found a note in his room saying that he couldn't take it any longer. He had to go somewhere else."

"Have you looked for him?"

"Of course we've fucking looked for him!"

"And…?"

"We tried his hustler friends, and they haven't seen him in a couple of weeks. Cally doesn't know anything about him leaving. He has no other friends." Michael sighed.

"Hm," Brian said. "A loving home, a warm bed, no friends, taunting high school jocks, priceless!"

"This is not a fucking joke, Brian."

"I know, but what do you want me to do about it?"

"I … I don't know. I just wanted to talk to somebody."

"Shouldn't you be talking to Ben?"

"Ben isn't talking much these days. This has really thrown him."

"Have you called the cops?"

"We … we don't want to get Hunter in more trouble. The police would inform Child Services and they would probably take him away from us, if he's ever found." Michael looked forlorn.

"What about Carl?"

"What about him?"

"Couldn't he put out some feelers or something without raising a great hue and cry?"

"I don't want to take that chance," Michael said rather lamely.

"Then what can be done?" Brian asked slightly exasperated by Michael's lack of action.

"I … I don't know. I don't know what to do."

"I think you should contact the police if you really want him back."

"Of course I really want him back! How can you say that?"

"If you don't get the police involved, what's the likelihood of him ever coming back?"

Michael grimaced and Brian could see tears welling up in the dark eyes. "I'm hoping he'll come back of his own free will."

"And how likely is that?"

"I don't fucking know … but it could happen."

"Michael…" Brian didn't know what else to say.

"I … I should go," Michael said hastily wiping at his eyes.

"Come here," Brian said gently. Michael took a couple of steps around the desk and found himself in Brian's arms. Brian kissed him and held on tight.

"Thanks," Michael whispered as Brian let him go, and then he was gone.



*****



On the outskirts of Pittsburgh Hunter held out his thumb as another batch of cars and trucks passed him by.

"Shit!" he griped.

He sat down beside his backpack and stared up the road. Nothing else was coming. He ran a hand through his hair wondering what he was going to do. He wanted to go home. He knew that Ben and Michael cared about him, more than anyone ever had. But they had such unrealistic expectations about his life. They thought they could fix everything, but so much of his life was unfixable.

They didn't understand what it was like to be ostracized, to have no one to talk to, to see people draw away in disgust when you walked by. They didn't know how many times he had been pushed and cursed at, now that everyone in the school knew his secrets. If he went home, they would expect him to go back, back to the Hell that he was running from, back to school. Sure, they'd find a new school for him, some place where no one knew about his past. But eventually they would find out; it seemed like they always did. And then he would be in the same position as he had been at his current school. It was impossible to escape from HIV and hustling. They were part of him. They went wherever he went.

Hunter saw lights up the road. He jumped up and stuck out his thumb. The car whizzed by not even slowing. Maybe the people inside the car knew what kind of a pariah he was. Maybe it was written all over his face. "Stay away from me! I'm infected and I'll infect you."

He dropped down dejectedly beside his pack and hugged his knees to his chest. He didn't know where he was going, wherever the car that picked him up would take him. He wished he could run from the infection inside him, but he couldn't. He thought about Ben and Michael. They had done their best, but they truly didn't understand. Ben did … a bit. He had HIV too. They were blood, as he had said, but he was an adult. He didn't know what it was like to be a teenager, to have your whole life ahead of you, and yet have nothing at all.

More lights appeared out of the darkness. Wearily Hunter got up and cocked his thumb. It was a big rig. Hunter remembered blowing the driver of a big rig when he and Michael had been on the run. That had got them enough money to get home. Home, Hunter thought wistfully. The rig started to slow down and Hunter held his breath. The truck went past him but it was definitely slowing. He grabbed his pack and ran down the road after it. By the time he reached the truck, the driver had pushed open the door.

"Climb in," the man said.

Hunter hesitated for only a second and then climbed up. He set his pack between him and the driver and stared straight ahead.

"Where ya headed?" the driver asked.

"Same place you're going," Hunter replied.

The driver chuckled. "I'm hauling this load to Harrisburg."

"That'll do just fine," Hunter said, and then he knew where he was headed.



*****



"Lucy, I'm hooomme!" Bobby announced in his best Desi accent.

"Hey, baby. How was work today?" John countered.

"Where's Claire?"

"Out doing her church thing, and you're avoiding the question. Did something happen at the office today?"

"No, the office is fine. Got a couple of new clients."

"Congratulations. So why the long face?"

"I got a phone call from my mother."

"Oh?" John raised an eyebrow and Bobby sighed. "Is everything okay with your family?"

"Everything is fine."

"Bobby..."

"I know; I'm avoiding the question. They invited me for dinner, to celebrate my graduation and new job."

"Well, we were whisked away by a very excited little blond to Miami right after the ceremony."

"I'll say. I don't think the ink was dry on my diploma before we flew out."

"So, what's the problem? Please don't tell me your parents are like Joan or Craig."

"No, they're not. But they're certainly not like Debbie."

"Who is!"

"Nobody I know. And they're not like your mom or Jennifer. It's hard to explain."

"Bobby, they do know you're gay, don't they?"

"Of course they do. They kind of tolerate it like someone tolerates diabetes. They're not happy with it but they'll live with it the best they can. My mom is disappointed that I won't make her a grandmother some day."

"Bobby, you know I want to have children. When we're ready, we can look into adoption or maybe a surrogate. They know about me? I mean, I did meet them at your graduation."

"They do but I know that when I introduced you as my partner, well they heard me but they didn't listen. I guess they've always been in a weird sort of denial. Never cruel but they would never ask if I had a boyfriend and they'd intimate if I met the right woman. I guess they thought it was a phase. I don't fit the stereotype, not to them anyway."

"Bobby, I think you should call your mother and accept the dinner invitation. If I'm included, I promise to be on my best behavior. If I'm not, no big deal. They're your parents; you should go."

"I'll call them tomorrow. And I know you'll behave, you always do. Besides, you don't act gay."

"You know, Brian's nephew, John, said the same thing. How does one act gay? Up until a year ago, I thought I was straight. In many ways I don't know what gay is or how it feels."

"John, you sleep with a man, you make love to a man. You're gay."

"If you put it that way then yes, I'm gay. Bobby, when did you know?"

"I don't really know. I always thought girls made good buddies not girlfriends. I guess I really knew when I was about 14, maybe 15. Why?"

"Bobby, I never knew. I never really considered the possibility until Brian and Justin came along. And I would have never had the nerve to speak to you without them pushing me. I don't have gaydar. Unless you're someone like Emmett or Agador/Miguel, I'd never assume a man was gay. I know what to do with a woman and I'm still more comfortable flirting with women than men. "

"John, are you trying to tell me something?"

"No. I know it sounds nuts. Let me put it this way. After we met and became involved I knew you were the one for me, my soulmate if you have to put a name to it. I have no interest in any other man. I don't flirt with men; I feel uncomfortable doing that. I've never had a trick. Other men don't turn me on. The thought of being with someone other than you has no appeal for me. If we were to break up, I'd probably go back to a heterosexual lifestyle. It's what I know."

"Not even if you met someone like Justin?"

"Bobby, Justin is a very sweet, smart boy but he's exhausting. I have no idea how Brian puts up with him."

"Probably the same way Justin puts up with Brian but I see your point. So are you saying you're not gay?"

"I'm saying that I met a wonderful person named Bobby Morrison. I fell in love with that person, and it just so happens Bobby is a man. Don't wait, call your mother. I'll go with the flow."

"What did I ever do to deserve you?"

"You were my knight in shining armor, remember? Besides, I think I'm the lucky one."

"We're both lucky. I'll call."

"Good. I'll start dinner and I want you for dessert."

"You know, for a man who doesn't know how to act gay, you certainly know how to turn me on. How do you do that?"

"It's a gift."