- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

"Sorry I'm late, Dad. Last minute client."

"I understand. Don't worry, I have a long break before our next topic and the presenter won't mind if we're delayed."

"Oh? Who's the presenter?"

"Me." Father and son shared a laugh as they perused their menus and ordered their lunch.

"Thank you for suggesting this, Dad. We should do this more often."

"Yes, we should. But I suspect as your career takes off you won't have the time."

"Dad, I plan on making the time. I already decided that a long time ago and made that a stipulation of my employment."

"That took a lot of nerve. And your firm went for it?"

"Well, it helped to come into the firm with two great accounts."

"Two? I know you had the Farm, what's the second?"

"Kinnetik, the advertising agency owned by Brian Kinney. He's rather a vocal task master and certainly a force to be reckoned with. He also carries a lot of political and economic weight in his part of Pittsburgh. There are some other businesses my firm is interested in. Brian has an influence that can't be ignored."

"He sounds like a formidable man. But are you sure his influences are safe and legal?"

"What do you mean?"

"That young man he has as a partner. He looks like a mere child."

"Dad, looks can be deceiving. John is always telling me that I look twelve." Dr. Morrison chuckled at Bobby's admission.

"In this I am in agreement, Robert, you do look like you're twelve."

"Gee, thanks, Dad." There was a lull in the conversation as the waiter brought their salads and the Morrison men began their meal.

"Robert... Bobby, can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"What are you doing with John Anderson? He's a good man, I'll grant you that. He has a wonderful reputation, he's polite and loyal to his mother but he's so much older than you not too mention how tall he is. I'm afraid you'll get hurt."

"Dad, what are you talking about? First off, John is only seven years older than me. You are ten years older than Mom. And Grandma was fifteen years older than Grandpa. That didn't stop them from having six children. As for him being taller than me, what does that have to do with anything? You're taller than Mom and Rachel's taller than me. Come to think about it, practically everyone's taller than me. Justin and I are about the same height. Brian and John are the same height. Believe me Dad, when I tell you height has nothing to do with anything."

"I'm just concerned with your well-being."

"I know you are but...wait a minute. You think that John is, that I'm a... Dad, what do you know about gay sex?"

"Bobby, I'm a doctor. I understand the mechanics."

"Mechanics is one thing, personal preference is another. Do you understand the terms 'top' and 'bottom' when it relates to gay sex?"

"Yes."

"In Brian and Justin's relationship, 99% of the time Brian is the top. Although Justin has a way of changing that percentage. In my relationship with John, I'm the top."

"You?"

"Yes. That surprises you?"

"Yes, it does."

"That's because you're letting your eyes make assumptions for your brain. It's not always obvious. When John and I met he had never had a homosexual experience, not even an experiment as a boy. I was his first and hopefully I will be his last. When John was learning what it's like to be with a man, I gave him a choice. I'm a top but I'm a versatile man. John chose to be the bottom. We complete each other, Dad. We love each other. He wants to marry me one day and have kids."

"Kids? A few weeks ago I would have never thought it possible but John showed me a picture of Gus. He's a beautiful little boy."

"Yes, he is. We built a treehouse for him. He's a sweet little boy and lucky too. He has two Moms and two Dads and a whole lot of people who love him."

"And I imagine with Brian Kinney as a father, he's a bit spoiled."

"Surprisingly enough, he's not spoiled and Justin is a good influence. On both of them."

"Bobby, the story Brian told about the bashing, I remembered reading about it in the newspaper; that was awful. What that poor boy went through and his family. If that had been you..."

"Dad, it won't happen."

"Bobby, in high school, something did happen. We never talked about it."

"And we won't, not now. But I promise, we will. Dad, you may not have to rush to go back but my boss is not as understanding. This has been great, Dad. I'd like to do this again or dinner. Dad, I'd like to be a real family again, you know?"

"Yes Bobby, I do know and I'd like that too. We've grown too distant lately and I suppose I'm largely responsible for that."

"Dad, I let it happen too but I've learned a lot this last year about family and how important it is. We can change things." Father and son shared a hug before parting.

"Bobby, if I never said it before, I'm saying it now. I'm very proud of you, both your mother and I are very proud of you and we love you."

"I love you too, Dad. We'll do this again soon. I promise and this lawyer keeps his word."

"I'll hold you to that contract, son."

Father and son went back to work.



*****



Hunter came through the door of the farmhouse as Claire was making some biscuits for dinner.

"You're late," she said but smiled at Hunter.

The boy went to the fridge and pulled out a bottle of soda. He opened it and took a long drink. Claire nodded at the cookie jar and Hunter smiled slightly as he pulled out three large cookies. Claire was glad to see that Hunter's appetite seemed to be returning and his bruises and scrapes had almost disappeared. All that remained to be healed was his spirit. That she wasn't so sure about. He was still far too quiet.

"What kept you at the farm?" she asked.

"Bill let me work with Steve after our session. We moved some hay bales to get the barn ready for the new batch they'll be bringing in."

"Do you like working at the farm?" Claire asked. Often unhappy boys found that work on the farm was peaceful and satisfying. You could see what you had accomplished at the end of the day.

"It's … okay."

"Just okay?"

Hunter munched on his cookie as he sat at the big kitchen table and watched Claire work. He did like working at the farm. "We got the barn all organized. It felt … good."

Claire smiled to herself. That was what she had wanted to hear. "I bet you'll have a good appetite for dinner. We're having roast beef."

"Is that what I smell? You're a good cook."

"Thanks. I take pride in my cooking."

"I…" Hunter hesitated.

"What? What were you going to say?"

"I … I just wish … that I had something to take pride in." Hunter's face reflected an innate sadness.

"You do."

"Oh yeah, like what?" Hunter wanted to know. He was sick of all the bullshit adults fed him about being strong and proud and accomplishing stuff. It was all a crock of shit.

"Aren't you proud of how the barn looks after working to get everything in order?" Claire asked.

"I guess so," Hunter replied slowly.

"A good day's work or a fine meal or making a positive difference in someone's life, all of those are things to be proud of."

"There's only one way that I can make a 'positive' difference in someone's life," Hunter replied with a rueful look on his face.

"Hunter, don't do that," Claire chastised.

"Do what?"

"Put yourself down. I'm sure you made a positive difference helping Bill today. He would get the barn finished that much sooner with your help."

"Big deal!"

"It is a big deal. Changes usually come in small increments. Be patient."

"That's not how my life works," Hunter declared.

"What do you mean?"

"My mother and father never really wanted me. They used me, especially my mother."

"You're not responsible for what your mother does. She doesn't sound like a very nice lady."

Hunter snorted. "She's no lady!" He studied Claire's back as she cut out the biscuits to put in the oven. "What would you do if John came home and told you he was HIV positive?"

"Heaven forbid," Claire said before she could stop herself. She turned quickly to apologize and saw the involuntary wince that Hunter had at her words. "I wouldn't wish that on anyone, you included. But … if John became positive, I would hold him a little tighter when I hugged him and … probably cry myself to sleep at night."

"Nobody cries for me," Hunter said staring at the floor.

"I bet Ben and Michael do."

"I doubt it."

"I don't think you do. It was their high expectations and hopes for you that scared you away from them. They want you to have a normal life."

"And that's the fucking problem. I'm not normal. I can never have a normal life."

Claire sighed feeling sadness for this lost soul. "I saw a sun catcher in a store the other day. It said, 'Normal around here is just a setting on the dryer.' I thought there was a lot of truth in that."

Hunter snorted again. "You have the most normal home I've ever seen."

"You think so?" Claire laughed. "I had John out of wedlock when that was a huge sin in the eyes of society. I raised him with his grandparents. He's gay and we all live here with his homosexual partner. Does that sound normal to you?"

"But you're all successful and happy and … content."

"Most of the time, but we have our moments."

"How do you do it?"

"I haven't a clue. We just do the best we can, and that's all that should be expected of anyone, including you." Claire stepped over beside Hunter and squeezed his shoulder affectionately.

"Thanks."

"You're welcome. Now go have a shower. You smell like the barn. John and Bobby should be home in half an hour and we have roast beef for dinner."

"Life is good?" Hunter asked making it a question.

"Very good," Claire said with a smile as she watched Hunter head upstairs.