- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

Hunter, Michael and Ben settled into the little cottage up the road from the Andersons. Things were kind of quiet as they walked through the house deciding where they were going to sleep. Hunter dropped his overnight supplies in the small bedroom leaving the big one for his parents, for that was what he considered Ben and Michael to be, in spite of their former differences.

They put the breakfast items Claire had sent with them into the fridge and Ben put the old kettle on to make a pot of tea for all of them.

"Do you want to talk about this tonight … or wait for breakfast?" Hunter asked.

"Let's get our tea and do it now," Ben suggested.

"So when are you coming home?" Michael demanded in that cow-eyed way he had of saying things that left no room for discussion.

"Michael…" Ben said trying to calm his partner and not start a fight.

"I … I'm not coming home," Hunter replied bluntly. They might as well get this all out in the open.

"What the fuck do you mean? You are coming home!"

"No, Michael, I'm not," Hunter repeated.

"Drink your tea and think for a moment. We can compromise, figure out a way to make it work so we can be together," Ben said reasonably.

"Compromise! I'm not fucking compromising!" Michael declared. "You have to go to school, you need your meds, you need us. So you're coming home."

"Yes, I do need all those things and I'm taking care of most of them. And I'm not coming home."

"What do you mean that you're taking care of them?" Ben asked, while Michael folded his arms and glared out into the room.

"I've started correspondence courses to finish high school. Bill's been letting me use the computer at the farm, but … I could really use a computer of my own."

"Figures!" Michael snapped. "We're only good for providing you with things you want."

"A computer is not something I want," Hunter retorted. "It's something I need. But if you don't want to help me I can keep using the one at the farm."

Michael glared at the boy.

"I'm glad to hear that you're continuing your education," Ben said gently. He ignored the daggers Michael was throwing at him with his eyes. "What about your meds?"

"Doc Adams checked me out, and then he contacted the hospital in Pittsburgh and ordered my meds. John has been paying for them, but now I have a job working at the farm and I can start paying for them myself."

"A job?" Michael broke in. "What kind of fucking job do you have at the farm? Shoveling shit?"

"That about covers it," Hunter shot back.

"You're doing the work of a farmhand?" Ben asked and Hunter nodded. "Are you sure you're up to it, that you're well enough."

"I just started recently, once I was feeling better. It's fine. And I like manual labor. I can see what I've accomplished at the end of the day."

"That's a good feeling," Ben agreed.

"That's totally unacceptable," Michael replied staring rigidly at the two.

"Michael…"

Just then Michael's phone rang and he pulled it out of his pocket. "Brian, what's up?"

"Go easy on the kid," Brian's voice came back at him.

"What do you mean?"

"Hunter's a good kid, and he's trying to get his life together. Stop telling him what to do and listen to what he's telling you."

"How the fuck do you know what I'm doing?"

"I know you."

"You're an ass. Fuck off."

"It's his life; let him live it."

Michael snapped the phone shut and stared at Hunter. "Did you put him up to that?" he demanded.

"Me?" Hunter asked. "How could I put Brian Kinney up to anything? What did he say?"

"He told me to let you live your life the way you wanted to."

"That's good advice," Ben said receiving a steely glare from his partner.

"Michael…" Hunter began. "I think I want to counsel kids like me. I'm prepared to work here at the farm and try to achieve that goal. I can't … no … I won't … go back to that fucking school in Pittsburgh. I like it here."

Michael opened his mouth to say something but Ben cut him off. "Hunter, it's getting late. Why don't you go get ready for bed? We can talk more in the morning."

Hunter stood and looked at his two fathers. This had gone much as he suspected it would. He sighed heavily and headed to his room.

"Michael," Ben said, "Brian is right. It's Hunter's life."

"I know," Michael admitted, "but…"

Michael found his mouth suddenly engulfed by his husband's and all talk of Hunter was forgotten.

In the barn Brian dropped his cell phone with his clothes near the sleeping bag.

"What did he say?" Justin asked looking up at Brian from where he lay beside him.

"He told me to fuck off."

Justin chuckled. "What did you expect?"

"I expected that I would be one more voice of reason along with Ben. Maybe it was enough to shut Michael up till morning."

"We can only hope," Justin said as he pulled Brian down on top of him. "Right now I don't want to think about Michael or Ben or Hunter." Each name was punctuated with a nip and a kiss of all the places that Justin knew drove his lover wild. Before long neither one of them was thinking about anything … they were just feeling all the delicious things they could do to each other.



*****



"Hey, is it safe to come up? Some of us actually do need to sleep tonight, you know," John called out, looking up to the barn loft. He knew his brother and a very excited little blond were going at it like bunnies. Bobby was laughing in a most un-lawyer like fashion.

"Yeah, get a move on, old man! Claire expects us bright and early in the morning to help with breakfast," Bobby managed to get out in between guffaws. All of a sudden John and Bobby were pelted by clumps of straw that were pelting down on them. Then two heads appeared over the edge accompanied by dual raspberries.

"Oh very mature, and why do I have a feeling of deja vu?" John quipped as Bobby was trying to pick the straw out of John's hair. "Forget it, Bobby, I think there'll be a lot more straw in my hair later," John said smiling at his lover.

"Yeah," was all that Bobby answered as he began the climb up to the loft.

As the brothers and their lovers settled in for the night, Brian came up with an excuse to go to the Farm with Bobby in the morning.

"Bobby, I have to speak with Steve tomorrow before Justin and I go back to the Pitts. I may need your help. Would you go with me?" Brian asked in his most sincere voice.

"Sure," Bobby answered almost too quickly.

"Brian, why do you need Bobby to go with you?" John asked, turning over to see his brother's face in the dim light of the overhead bulb.

"Legal issues. My supposed loyal employee and accountant, Theodore, has been spending far too much of his time working on the Farm's accounts and not enough time on mine. I'm sure there's a conflict of interest going on somewhere," Brian shot back, hoping he sounded convincingly annoyed.

"I see." John wasn't stupid; he knew this had something to do with Bobby's confessions to him a month ago. But John loved Bobby and if he needed Brian to go with him, John would live with it. "I'm sure Bobby will be able to help you sort things out and prevent you from killing Ted," John said, hearing the sighs of relief from his lover and his brother. "Goodnight," John said as he snuggled next to Bobby.

"Goodnight," three voices answered back.

Early the next morning, the boys were up and in...in each other. Bobby was gently rocking in and out of his lover and Justin was blissfully bouncing on top of Brian having the ride of his life, at least one of the top ten rides. All four men groaned with their passions as they came, collapsing onto their partners. They lay for a moment, quiet, hugging tightly allowing their breathing to even out. Brian Kinney began to giggle and three men gaped at him in astonishment.

"Synchronized fucking, a new Olympic sport," Brian continued to giggle. Justin rolled off Brian as the giggling intensified and Justin joined in. John and Bobby did their best not to laugh until Bobby snorted and it was all over. The sounds of four men laughing like hyenas sent Beau packing and heading for the relative sanity of the house.

Bobby decided that he couldn't put off talking with Steve until after breakfast; if he waited any longer he'd chicken out. Grabbing Brian's arm, Bobby pleaded into Brian's eyes, "We have to go now."

Brian nodded; he whispered something to Justin who also nodded. Justin kissed Brian on the nose and sent Brian on his way. As Justin began to prepare himself for the onslaught of curious questions the family would inevitably ask, Brian and Bobby took the quick path through the trees to the Farm.

"You two are up early," Steve said to the panting men who entered the farmyard at full gallop. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Steve, I have to talk to you," Bobby replied, his chest heaving more from nervousness than from being out of breath.

"And you?" Steve looked at Brian.

"I believe I still owe you for cow therapy and Red, here, needed a friend."

Steve stared at the two men standing before him. Bobby looking so much younger than his thirty-three years, eyes frightened as if the intelligent, confident lawyer had evaporated into the boy of fourteen. Brian, ever the protector of blue-eyed, pale skinned twinks, stood fast, defiant under the scrutinizing gaze.

"Bet you two haven't eaten." Two heads shook. "Then come on in; can't think or listen on an empty stomach." Brian and Bobby obediently followed Steve into the cookhouse.

The coffee was brewing and the three men were buttering up some of Claire's biscuits. Bobby was beginning to chicken out. Brian did what he did best, he pushed.

"Steve, I hear you've known Bobby for a long time." Brian leered at Bobby as Bobby's eyes grew wide with shock then narrowed with anger.

"I've known him since he was a boy. A good kid, little skinny but he sure could throw a baseball. Used to see him when I went to Jimmy's games. Jimmy could hit and he played first base. I used to wonder what Jimmy would say to Bobby out there. Bobby'd strike out a player then crack up with laughter. All that red hair, like a flaming torch on the pitcher's mound. Then a new batter would be up and it was all business again until he got struck out." Steve got quiet as he remembered a good memory. Brian nudged Bobby and he began to stammer.

"He, he used to tell knock knock jokes. After I'd strike someone out, Jimmy would tell me a knock knock joke. I was nervous; the coach kept telling me how good I was but I never believed him. I didn't even understand how I was able to throw so hard. I just did. Jimmy knew, kept calling me a natural, like my hair. Said my red roots were connected to my arm and that's why I could throw. He knew I didn't believe I was really that good so he'd tell me jokes in between batters." Bobby was silent for a moment and closed his eyes.

"I was with him, that night, I was with him." Steve looked up from his coffee and saw the tears streaming down Bobby's face. Brian placed his hand on Bobby's shoulder as Bobby continued. "He dropped me off at home. I had a curfew. Jimmy pushed me out of the truck and said he'd see me on the baseball field. I never saw him again. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I should have done something, said something to someone but I didn't know. I felt, I...."

Bobby started crying in earnest, he couldn't stop the twenty years of guilt and pain that came streaming out. Brian moved closer and placed his arms around the sobbing man.

Steve stood, scrubbing the tears from his face. His son had made some bad choices, choices that got him killed and a choice that possibly saved a boy's life. Steve walked around the table. Brian's eyes followed the big man, unconsciously hugging the smaller man closer. Steve placed a big paw on Brian's shoulder. Brian could see the man's eyes soften. He released his grip on Bobby and stood from his chair. Steve quickly took his place. Brian went out into the farmyard to have a smoke as Steve and Bobby healed one another.

Brian paced the yard. He heard nothing from the cookhouse. The air was still, the only noise, his boots crunching on the dried earth. He was about to light up another one when John and Justin came walking into the yard. Brian gave Justin a sneer.

"You try stopping him; he's almost as stubborn as you are," Justin explained to Brian.

"What's going on in there?" John nodded his head toward the cookhouse.

"A little walk down memory lane and confessions for the soul. John, Bobby had some things to say to Steve and I think Steve needed to hear them. They're both good men. Give them time to work things out." Two sets of hazel eyes met in agreement. Justin hoisted himself on the corral fence and watched while the brothers paced the yard.

After some time Bobby and Steve joined the trio in the yard. Bobby went directly to John who greeted the redhead with open arms. Brian wanted to say something comforting to Steve but was at a loss for words. Brian felt his stomach grumble then spoke up. "Steve, as good as your coffee was, I didn't get much of it and Red needs more than a biscuit to sustain him. My brother is insatiable at times; he'll wear out the poor boy. Let's go back to Claire's. I'm sure there's more breakfast to be had." Justin jumped down off the fence and nodded in agreement, then he and Brian ushered everyone back to Claire's for breakfast.



*****



Meanwhile back at the cottage, Michael and Ben were cooking bacon and eggs when Hunter finally appeared. He looked at his two fathers and waited to see where the lay of the land was this morning.

"Morning, Hunter," Ben said. "Did you sleep well?"

"Yes, father dear. Excellently!" Hunter teased. They both chuckled.

Michael glared at both of them from where he buttered toast at the kitchen table. "Breakfast is ready. Sit down," he ordered with no glimmer of amusement on his face.

Ben shrugged and Hunter made a grimace as he took a seat at the table. They ate their breakfasts in uncomfortable silence. Finally Hunter couldn't stand it any longer.

"I'm sorry if I've disappointed you, Michael," he said.

"Well, you have." The arms came across the chest once again showing that Michael was unwilling to bend at all.

"It's my fucking life," Hunter exploded. "Not yours."

Michael glared at his foster son.

"Michael…" Ben said trying to placate his partner and make things better between the two men in his life. Michael remained unmoving staring straight ahead.

"Don't try to make him see some fucking sense, Ben," Hunter said standing up. "Obviously what he wants is more important than what you want, or heaven forbid, what I fucking want! I'm going back to the farm."

With that declaration Hunter ran back into his bedroom and reappeared with the duffel that had held his clothes for the night. He headed directly to the kitchen door. As he pulled it open, he turned back and yelled, "I thought you would understand, but I guess you're just like everybody else." He slammed the door behind him and started the walk back to the Andersons. The tears threatened to flow.

"Michael," Ben tried again.

"It's that fucking Brian who's responsible for this. He said on the phone that it's Hunter's life. I bet he's been fucking drilling that into the kid the whole time he's been up here."

"Michael, it isn't anyone's fault. It's what Hunter wants."

"Well, he's ruining his life, and I'll never forgive Brian for that." Michael stomped into the bedroom he had shared with Ben the previous night and slammed the door behind him.

"Well," Ben said to the empty room, "so much for breakfast and a reconciliation."

"What the fuck is that all about?" Debbie asked loudly as Hunter flew through the front door, slammed it shut then bounded up the stairs to his room, slamming that door shut behind him.

"Well, if I understand all the door slamming right, Hunter told Michael and Ben his plans for staying here, working on the Farm, finishing school via correspondence courses and eventually trying to be a counselor for kids like him. Michael is not amused," Brian answered softly as he sipped Claire's excellent brew.

"And what the fuck do you know about teenage boys and Hunter's plan?" Debbie leered at Brian. The whole family remained quiet watching the exchange between Debbie and Brian as if it were a tennis match. Unperturbed by Debbie's question, Brian peered over the brim of his coffee mug and gave Debbie an evil grin. Debbie sat with a huff. "Forget I asked that. You know a lot about teenage boys, especially the confused, blond type."

"Gee, thanks, Deb," Justin groaned out.

"No offense, Sunshine. Brian, seriously, Hunter, is that really what he wants to do with his life?"

"Let me answer that one," Bobby spoke up, sitting close to the loud redhead. "Debbie, Hunter is doing a great job at the Farm. If he wasn't, Bill and Steve wouldn't have offered him the job. It's not charity; it's a real job with benefits, health benefits. And we all know Hunter's medications aren't cheap. The other benefit is that Hunter feels like he's accomplishing something. He's saving up for a laptop and paying Claire rent."

"You asked him for rent?"

"No, Debbie, we didn't," Claire piped in. "Hunter wanted to contribute. I told him that he was contributing a lot by the chores he was doing around here. John and Bobby work long hard hours. Our yard and barn have never been this clean. He even managed to plug up the leak in that old rain barrel. The point is that he's taking responsibility for himself, for his life. He's stopped running away, he's walking toward something."

"But we miss him; Michael and Ben miss him."

"And he misses all of you. But Hunter needed a fresh start, somewhere safe where no one knows of his past, no one can judge him except for the job he does and how he conducts himself now." This time it was John who spoke for Hunter. "Debbie, he's learning how to take pride in himself. Try to help Michael see that."

Debbie nodded. "I think I need more coffee." Brian got up and refilled Debbie's mug.

"Thank you, kiddo."

"You're welcome, Maw."

Steve slipped out to check on Hunter. Steve knocked softly on Hunter's door and waited.

"Come in. Did they send you to check up on me?" Hunter spat out as Steve came in.

"Nope, I don't need any excuse to see my number one farmhand."

"I'm your only farmhand. So, are they all deciding what's best for me?"

"No. By now Debbie will be your staunchest ally besides Brian."

"You're shitting me, right?"

"Hunter, those people down there love you and yes they want what's best for you and they're willing to let you make your own decisions. Your dads will come around."

"Ben will but not Michael; he'll never accept my choices."

"And what if he doesn't? You going to quit, run home and do what they want you to do, what they think is best for you? I'm not saying what they want for you is a bad thing but it may not make you happy. So what are you going to do?"

"First, I'm going to go to the bathroom then I'm going downstairs to face everybody."

"And then?"

"Say good bye to what's left of my family and head back to the Farm with you. I have some more studying to do."

"Sounds like a plan to me."

"Steve?"

"Yeah?"

"Something's changed."

"What's changed? What are you talking about?"

"You, something's different."

"You got that counseling certificate already? Come on; let's go get breakfast before Bobby and Justin eat it all."

"Yeah, blondie can sure pack it away."

Just before Steve and Hunter went downstairs, Steve drew Hunter into a bear hug.

"I have a good feeling about you, Jimmy."

Hunter looked up into the big man's eyes. "Yeah, me too."

Breakfast turned into brunch but when it was all over, every belly was full. All pitched in to set Claire's house to right and the cars were packed up. Ben and Michael finally came back to the main house to say goodbye to the Andersons. Michael huffed his goodbyes to everyone then went to wait in the car. Brian tried to talk to him but Michael refused to speak with him. Debbie, Carl and Ben gave Hunter a hug and a kiss and Hunter promised to call regularly and to email. With everyone ready to go, a goodbye hugfest ensued and a tentative Thanksgiving celebration was formulated. Carl and Debbie's car lead Temmett and Jennifer down the drive.

Brian and Justin had the Cherokee all packed and said their goodbyes to Claire, Steve and Hunter waiting until they went into the house before saying good bye to John and Bobby.

"You guys okay?" Brian asked addressing his brother and Bobby.

"Yeah, we're good," John answered for the both of them.

"That's good. I don't want a frantic phone call bitching about some stupid misunderstanding. I have better things to do than drive up here and kick some sense into either one of you," Brian griped.

"Don't worry, little bro, the next time I call will be to remind you about Thanksgiving," John countered.

"Oh fuck, another holiday and another family get together. Someone give me a fucking break...." Brian kept complaining as he hugged and kissed his brother and Bobby, and as Justin pushed him into the car. He kept on complaining as Justin drove out of the driveway, waving back at John and Bobby. John and Bobby laughed, shaking their heads as they could hear Justin's "I know, I know," as the car disappeared from view.