- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

"They're not coming."

"You don't know that."

"Yes, I do. If they were coming, they'd be here already."

"We still have an hour before dinner."

"Brian, you really think they'll show?"

"Yeah, I do. Look the munchers drove all the way from muncherville with the kids. You really think Debbie will let Michael ruin her Thanksgiving with her grandkids for him? Not on your life. Between her, Carl and the Professor, they'll have Mikey bound and gagged in the back of the car. They'll be here, Hunter, they'll be here."

"Brian, I really want them to be proud of me."

"They are, kid."

"Ben is; I'm not so sure about Michael."

"He is; he just doesn't know it yet."

"Have you talked to him?"

"No. He's still angry at me for agreeing with you. He refuses to take my calls, ignores me when I go to the shop or the diner."

"He's a stubborn asshole."

"Yeah, but he's our stubborn asshole."

"Yeah. I'm hungry, let's go pick on something."

"Sure."

"Bri?"

"They'll show. They have to."



*****



As the family was all gathered and sitting around the tables a car drove up into the drive. A hush descended and the family could hear four car doors slamming shut.

"Ma! Stop pulling on my ear, I'm not a baby!"

"Then stop acting like one!"

The family couldn't help but hear Debbie's admonishment of Michael and his whining. Within moments the Novotny family was on the doorstep. Brian got up to open the door.

"It's about fucking time. We were just about to give thanks for the bounty on the table and for Hunter's asshole father."

"Ya know, kiddo, you're not too old to spank."

"Love you too, Maw," Brian said with a kiss to Debbie's cheek and pulling the woman aside as he led the family to their places at the table. "And thank you for getting him here. Hunter's been miserable."

"So has Michael." The Novotny clan took their places at the table then John led the blessing.

"Two years ago the only ones at this table were my mother, Steve and myself. Last year we added a few more people." The Liberty Avenue gang laughed at John's remark. "This year we're honored that Bobby's family has joined us." The Morrisons smiled at the shouts of, "hear, hear!"

"We have a lot to be thankful for. Now last year we all said a few words but if we did that this year we may not get to eat this fine meal that everyone helped to prepare until Christmas. So instead, I'd like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and offer my congratulations to Hunter, who earlier this week received his high school diploma and has registered at Harrisburg Junior College. He'll start in the spring." The family was silent for a few seconds until John's words sunk in then the room roared with cheers for Hunter.

"Speech! Speech!" The family cried out. Slowly Hunter stood up, blushing; he addressed the family.

"A few months ago, me going to college seemed like an impossible dream. I was scared, lost and running away. I was lucky that the Anderson's found me and hooked me up with the right people. I'm very thankful and grateful and also very hungry. Let's eat!" The family cheered again then started passing around the dishes.

Hunter took surreptitious glances at Michael all through dinner. The rigidity of Michael's spine spoke volumes. Hunter knew that even with the announcement about college, Michael still hadn't forgiven him.

When dessert was brought out, Brian grabbed his jacket and headed down to the big rock for a smoke. It wasn't long before Hunter followed him.

"Can I have a puff?" Hunter asked indicating the cigarette in Brian's fingers.

Brian shook his head. "I've corrupted enough youth."

"Michael's still pissed at me, so what difference does it make?" Hunter demanded slumping against the big rock beside Brian.

"Did I not teach you anything?" Brian asked with a scowl.

"What are you talking about?"

Brian picked up a stone and skipped it across the water. Hunter watched and then smiled as he did the same. "Seems to me I taught you that," Hunter said with a smirk.

"That you did. And it just goes to show you that anybody can learn anything, only sometimes the lesson gets forgotten."

Hunter shook his head. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"The last time we had one of our little meetings on the rock I told you that it was your life, and the only person you were responsible for was yourself."

"Isn't that what I did by staying here and choosing what I wanted to do with my life?"

"Exactly. So why are you letting Mikey's pissy attitude bring you down?"

"I … I love Ben and Michael. I owe them so much. But I want Michael to be happy for me, happy that I've found a … purpose."

"He is happy for you."

"He sure as fuck could have fooled me."

"That's just Michael. Until he finds a way to make all this his idea, he won't truly accept it."

"What?"

"Look, I've known Michael for a long time. He really doesn't take to change very well, unless he thinks it's his idea."

"But this isn't his idea. He had nothing to do with it."

"And that's why he has such a problem with it."

"But knowing that doesn't make it any better."

"It would if we can figure out how to make Michael think this was all his doing," Brian said as the wheels turned in his head.

"How the fuck can we do that?"

"I think I have a plan," Brian said as he quickly described what he had in mind. "Stay here and I'll send him down," Brian said as he headed back to the house.

Michael was sitting in a corner with his arms folded across his chest. He looked miserable. Brian knew he probably regretted taking such a tough stand against Hunter, but he was too proud and stubborn to admit it.

Justin came towards Brian with a questioning look on his face. He could tell something was up. "What's going on?" he asked Brian.

"Stand back and watch. If I need your help to drag Michael out of here, can I count on it?"

"Absolutely! Do I get to smack him if he doesn't cooperate?" Justin chuckled.

"If he doesn't cooperate, I'll smack him first. You get the second shot."

"Deal," Justin said with a smile as he retreated to the other side of the room finding a convenient seat to watch the proceedings.

"Michael," Brian said.

"I have nothing to say to you."

"I figured as much," Brian sighed. "So listen instead." Michael glared at his former friend. "Are you listening?" Brian asked.

"I'm fucking listening. What do you want to say?"

"You're behaving like an absolute jerk."

"Thanks for that detailed analysis of the situation. Now fuck off."

"Hunter's down by the stream. Go talk to him. This has gone on long enough."

"I'm not going anywhere."

"Yes, you are," Brian hissed getting angry at Michael's continued obstinacy. "You can go of your own volition or I'll drag you out there."

"You and who else?" Michael said defiantly.

"Not that I'll really need any help, but Justin has volunteered and I'm sure Ben will help, and then there's your mother."

"All right, all right," Michael said. "I'll go, but it isn't going to do any good. I still think Hunter's making a mess of his life."

"Put your feelings aside for a moment and talk to Hunter."

"Yes, your highness."

"Good. I'm glad that's settled." Brian tossed Michael his jacket and Michael made his way slowly out the door.

"Do you think that will solve anything?" Debbie asked Brian as the door closed behind her son.

Brian shook his head. "How the fuck should I know, but it's worth a try."

Michael walked slowly towards the stream. Beau bounded along with him always happy to have company, although this human didn't seem like very much fun. It was better than all the noise the other humans made in his barn.

"Do you have advice for me too, dog?" Michael asked. Beau barked. "I'm trying," Michael said as he approached the stream. He could see Hunter sitting on the big rock.

Hunter heard Beau's bark and smiled slightly. Brian had been able to get Michael down here. Now the rest was up to him. He stood up and skipped a stone across the water. He knew Michael was watching, but his foster father wasn't saying anything. He could play the waiting game too. He skipped another stone.

"When did you learn to do that?" Michael asked.

Hunter smiled before he turned around and looked at Michael. "Bill taught me how a couple of weeks after I came here."

"Why did you come here?"

"I told you it was an accident. I didn't really have anything in mind when I left Pittsburgh. Things conspired to send me this way."

"And now you want to stay?"

Hunter nodded before he picked up a stone and managed to make it skip five times before it sank. "Wow, I got five," Hunter said proudly.

"Is that good?"

"Damn right! I couldn't get it to skip at all at first. Want to try?"

Michael shook his head. "I wouldn't be any good at it."

"Brian said he wouldn't be any good either, but I managed to teach him," Hunter said proudly.

"You taught Brian to skip stones?"

"Yep." Michael shook his head again. "Come on, give it a try."

"Okay," Michael replied thinking that if it was good enough for Brian, it was probably good enough for him. "Show me what to do."

Beau watched the two humans wondering if this was another of those times when they were going to try to fill up the stream with all the little pebbles they could find. He laid down in the grass and watched.

Hunter found a stone and positioned Michael, showing him the proper arm action. Michael's first attempts were pathetic, but Hunter was encouraging and by the fifteenth stone, Michael got it to skip.

"See, you can do it," hunter said daring to give Michael a hug for his achievement. "I knew you could do it."

Michael smiled. "You're a good teacher, Hunter."

"Thanks, that's what Brian said too."

Michael stared at Hunter. How much time had Brian and Hunter shared together while he had been moping around and refusing to talk to either of them.

"This was the first thing that I learned here at the farm," Hunter continued trying to seize the moment. "I told Bill that it was absolutely useless. He said that accomplishing anything is good for the soul. After that I started to feel better."

"You did?"

"Yeah, and I've learned lots of other stuff too. I like it here, and I'm going to learn lots more at Harrisburg Junior College."

"Couldn't you learn it back in Pittsburgh?" Michael asked with his patented pout.

"I guess I could, but I've had enough of the assholes I ran into there."

"Including me and Ben?"

"No, never you two. I want to be part of your family, I really do. But I need to do this for myself."

"Did Brian teach you that too?" Hunter looked at Michael questioningly not sure what he meant. "How to be a selfish prick?"

Hunter laughed. "Yeah, something like that."

"Well, I guess if you can be as successful and happy as Brian is these days, then you should go for it."

"You mean it?" Hunter asked with a huge smile.

"I mean it," Michael said as he opened his arms and they shared a true, meaningful hug.

As they released each other from their hugs, they heard Beau growl.

"Beau, what's wrong?" Hunter asked. The dog barked at something in the grass. "What is it, boy?" Hunter asked as he walked over to where the dog was crouched down.

Both he and Michael heard a loud 'ribbit' from the grass and saw the last huge bullfrog of the fall.

"Oh, I know just what we have to do with this," Michael said.

"Me too," Hunter agreed as he trapped the frog and picked it up. He managed to stuff it into the pocket of his jacket without hurting it.

Moments later accompanied by Beau, they walked into the house. Everyone looked up holding their breath till they found out what had happened.

"Well, don't just stand there," Debbie yelled. "Is everything straightened out?"

"Fuck yeah," Hunter crowed and Michael smiled his agreement.

Debbie gave each of them a big hug and everyone clapped them on the back.

"We even have a present for the person who made this all possible," Michael said looking at Brian.

"You shouldn't have," Brian said with a smirk.

Hunter drew the bullfrog out of his pocket and it let out one more large 'ribbit'.

Brian's smirk disappeared and he slunk back in his chair. "You really shouldn't have! Get that fucking thing out of here."

"But it's your reward for meddling," Michael said as Hunter held the frog out towards Brian.

"I'll save you, my prince," Justin called as he stepped forward, grabbed the frog from Hunter and quickly tossed it out the door.

"Hey, blondie!" Hunter objected.

"My hero!" Brian smiled as Justin returned to receive the appropriate thanks and a kiss, with future compensation to come later that night.

All was right in the land of Kinney.



*****



Thanksgiving evening was waning. As the Morrisons were preparing to go home. John, ever the proper host was getting their coats. "Dr. Morrison, may I speak with you a moment?"

"Of, course John." John ushered Dan into his study.

"Dr. Morrison..."

"Call me Dan; I think you deserve it."

"Thank you, sir. I appreciate that. Dan, I'm not getting any younger and I wasted a lot of time looking for the right woman only to find out that I should have been looking for the right man. Now that I've found him, I don't want to let him go. In spite of the obvious, I'm a traditional man. What I'm trying to say is that I want to marry your son. I'm asking your permission; I'd like to ask Bobby later tonight." John held his breath as his possible future father-in-law pondered the request.

"John, this is all new to me. Is it possible for you two to get married, here, in Pennsylvania?"

"No, but we can have a commitment ceremony and then later go to another state that does perform same sex weddings. It doesn't matter what we call it, I'd like to have a ceremony in front of our friends and family to declare our commitment to each other before witnesses. Dan, I'll take good care of him, not that he can't take care of himself. He's good for me and I promise to make him happy."

"I have no doubt that you'll make my son happy, you have already. And you've helped him through a difficult patch. We spoke about what happened that night. I never knew and I never knew how close I was to losing him. John, you have my blessing. Besides, it would be nice to have another man to talk to. Rachel and her girls. Poor George, he knows more about which pink sweater goes with what skirt than the Pirates." John and Dan shared a laugh then quickly joined the rest of the family to say goodnight.

Steve was getting ready to go back to the Farm. He said his goodnights to everyone then Bobby walked him out.

"Steve, are we okay? I mean, do you want another lawyer to handle the Farm?" Bobby asked with apprehension.

"Bobby, why would I want to do something like that? Next to John, you're one of the most honest men I know. For almost twenty years we've suffered, avoided some truths, ran away. It's time to put that all behind us. It's a fresh start for all of us. Goodnight Bobby, tell Claire thank you again for the wonderful meal and I'll see Hunter bright and early on Monday."

"I will. Goodnight, Steve. Happy Thanksgiving."



*****



"Okay, so tell me again how this is going to work." Brian asked John sarcastically. "I knew I should have put out for motel rooms."

"Why not, you've always put out in the past," Ted quipped as he went into the kitchen for another cup of coffee.

"Theodore, just because it's Thanksgiving doesn't mean I won't fire you," Brian shot back. Ignoring the looks Ted was giving him, Brian turned his attention back to John.

"One more time. The munchers, shit, Lindsey, Mel, and their kids take Bobby's and my room. Your sister and the kids will be in the cottage. Jennifer bunks with my Mom. Carl and Debbie take Hunter's room."

"Hunter's room. It is his room, isn't it? He's going to be here for a while, isn't he?"

"Yeah. He's a good kid, Brian. He wants this to work. He really wants to be a counselor to kids like himself."

"I know that and I also know he'll make it. Now, where are we going to sleep?"

"The barn."

"I was afraid you were going to say that. John, it's fucking freezing out. Can I blame you if my balls freeze and fall off?"

"First of all, the barn is a lot warmer than you think and it's heated. Number two, we'll take the loft space. We have the sleeping bags and they're rated to well below freezing. Michael, Ben and Hunter will be on the floor of the barn in a tent with their own sleeping bags. Although it's heated it sometimes gets a little drafty down there. Number three, I'm sure a certain blond will do his damnedest to keep you warm. And lastly, you only have one ball to freeze."

"Low blow, bro."

"I know but I couldn't help it. Oh, Ted and Emmett take the living room."

"Shit, why can't the certain blond and I take the living room?"

"Because you two are far too noisy when you fuck."

"Shit. All right, let's get this fiasco on the road."

With the sleeping arrangements all confirmed and each family member ensconced in his or her bed, Thanksgiving 2006 was coming to an end.

The boys were up in the loft space snuggled together with their partners quietly snickering at the normal family banter that was emanating from the tent on the barn floor below. Each whine from Michael, gripe from Hunter and attempt at compromise from Ben brought smiles to the four men up top.

Brian and Justin managed to surprise John and Bobby once again. Brian made love to his blond very quietly, coming within moments of each other with soft moans. John and Bobby were doing some moaning of their own in their sleeping bags. When it was all over, the only sounds heard were the wind rustling through the trees and the soft snores from the men below.

"Bobby, I asked your father for his permission."

"Permission for what?"

"To marry you. I know we've discussed it but now I'm asking again and in front of Brian and Justin. Bobby Morrison, will you marry me, be my husband?"

"John, I..."

The End.
SabinaThymeSunshine is the author of 78 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Runaway Life also liked 593 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Sunshine Files . The previous story in the series is A Tale of Four Queers. The next story in the series is Wedding Bell Blues.