- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

Hunter rolled over and groaned. His back hurt and he wasn't sure why. He tried to stretch only to find himself confined in a tight area. He opened his eyes and tried to remember where he was. For a fleeting second he thought he was in the foster home where they used to lock him in the closet when he wouldn't behave. That hadn't lasted long, because he had run away as soon as he could. Anything was better than that place, including the streets.

Sunlight flashed in Hunter's eyes as he turned again, and then it all came back to him. He had walked for a long time after he got out of the big rig. He had tried to hitch a ride, but late at night nobody was willing to take a chance on picking him up. Somewhere on what he hoped was the outskirts of Harrisburg, he had seen this house. It was back from the road and had a garage that wasn't attached to the house. He had thought maybe he could get in there and use it as a shelter to sleep. It had been unlocked and he had found an old wreck of a car inside. It was obvious no one had driven it in a long time. He had crawled into the back seat of the car and had fallen asleep almost immediately.

Hunter sat up slowly rubbing his back. He saw the sun shining in the window on the side door of the garage. It was morning and he decided he had better get out of there as soon as possible before somebody discovered him. He crawled out of the car and gave a big stretch hearing his back pop. Years of sleeping on the streets had not done his body any favors. He wondered if not taking his meds every day was maybe having an adverse affect on his body also.

He slung his pack over his shoulder and walked to the side door where he had come in. He looked out the window not seeing anyone around. Carefully he opened the door being as quiet as possible. He glanced at his watch realizing the sun was pretty high in the sky. It was almost ten o'clock. He had been really tired last night.

Hunter let his fingers run over the dial of the watch, remembering the day Ben had taken him into a jewelry store and bought it for him. He smiled sadly to himself as he slipped out the door and hustled down the driveway.

A little way up the road Hunter decided to try hitchhiking once again. Before long a car pulled up and he climbed in with a young man who said he was heading for downtown Harrisburg. Hunter watched the roads they crossed trying to remember things from when he had come here with Ben and Michael. Nothing looked familiar, but he had not been paying attention either.

"What are you doing in Harrisburg?" the driver of the car asked him.

"I'm probably just passing through," Hunter said being as non-committal as he could.

"Harrisburg is a funny place to end up for someone like you."

"Like me?" Hunter asked with a frown. He wasn't sure what the guy meant.

"Yeah, young and able to go anywhere you want."

"Oh, yeah," Hunter sighed relieved that the man wasn't referring to his being a hustler or HIV positive.

"Where do you want me to let you out?"

"Is there kind of a main intersection?"

"Yeah, we're almost to it."

"That would do fine."

"If you say so," the man replied as he pulled over.

"Thanks for the lift," Hunter said as he hopped out slamming the door behind him. The car pulled away and Hunter looked around not sure what he wanted to do. His stomach rumbled ominously reminding him that he hadn't eaten since the can of Coke at the truck stop. He walked along the street until he found a diner that didn't look like it would charge too much for a meal.

He walked in and slid into an empty booth. The place wasn't very busy but it wasn't noon yet. A waitress meandered over and laid a menu on the table in front of him.

"I don't need that," Hunter said. "Could I get a burger and fries and a large strawberry milkshake?"

"Sure thing," the woman replied and bustled away to start the order.

While he waited for her to return, Hunter wondered what he should do. He decided to ask the waitress when she returned. Before long she came back with his milkshake.

"Could I ask you something?" Hunter said.

"Yeah, but advice costs extra," she replied smacking her gum. In some crazy way she reminded him of Debbie and he felt a twinge of homesickness.

"I'm looking for a man who lives outside Harrisburg, but I think he has an office here in town."

"What's his name?"

"John Anderson."

The waitress shook her head. "Doesn't ring a bell. What does he do?"

"He's an architect."

"Well, that explains it," she snorted. "The number of architects we get in here I could count on the fingers of one fingerless hand."

Hunter snorted back. She was almost as weird as Debbie.

"Why don't you try the phone book? There's one over there by the pay phone."

"Thanks," Hunter said. He should have thought of that. He went to look up John's office while his burger was being made. He found the number of a John Anderson, architect. It had to be the John he wanted. As he was about to use the pay phone, the waitress yelled that his meal was up.

In less than ten minutes he had devoured everything set in front of him. He paid for his lunch and went back to the phone. He looked at the open book still at the page with John's number. He wondered what he could say to John. He wondered what the fuck he thought he was doing calling these people. He wondered if they'd tell him to fuck off. He was no relation to them. They had no reason to help him. And then he thought about Brian's nephews and how they had been helped by the people at the farm. Somewhere deep inside him he wondered if they could do the same for him.

Hunter picked up the receiver, dropped in a quarter and dialed the number.

A female voice answered. "John Anderson's office."

"Um, yeah, could I speak to Mr. Anderson?"

"I'm sorry but he's out of the office for the rest of the day."

"Shit," Hunter mumbled.

"Excuse me!"

"I … I need to talk to him."

"He'll be in tomorrow morning."

"Is there any way I can get in touch with him?"

"May I ask who you are and what this is in reference to?"

Hunter didn't like the sound of that question. "Could you give me his home number?" he asked ignoring her question.

"I don't give out that information. If you will tell me your name, I'll tell Mr. Anderson that you called."

"Never mind," Hunter said hanging up the receiver. "Fuck!" Then another idea struck him. He looked for Claire Anderson in the listings. There was no one with that name. Claire didn't live in Harrisburg and Hunter wasn't sure what the name of the nearest town to the farm might be. He tried to remember Bobby's last name, but it wouldn't come to him. Bobby lived with John and Claire so he probably wouldn't be listed anyway.

He was about to slam the phone book closed when another thought struck him. He read the address of John's office and memorized it. He closed the phone book and set it on the shelf. Walking towards the front of the diner, he saw his waitress and stopped her.

"Do you know where Princeton Avenue is?"

She shook her head and bustled away. Hunter shrugged his pack over his shoulders and headed outside. He started stopping people asking for directions to Princeton Avenue. Finally a man told him it was across town to the west. Hunter decided to start walking. He didn't want to spend his money on a cab or bus in case this whole idea didn't pan out. Besides he had all day to get there and all night too as far as that went. He could sleep somewhere near John's office and catch the man in the morning. Surely John would remember him. He would have all night to think up what he wanted to say once he found John. He started walking west resolutely deciding that he would at least give this a try.

Hunter had been walking for a long time. He hoped he was going in the right direction. It was now late afternoon and he was starting to get hungry again. He looked around wondering if there was a store or diner where he might get something to eat. His eyes skimmed over the buildings and he realized that he was not in a very good part of town. There were a lot of empty buildings, most of them rundown. Up the street he saw a group of young men wearing bandannas.

"Shit!" Hunter said to himself beginning to understand what he had wandered into. He turned around and started back the way he had come.

"Hey!" a voice yelled from behind him.

Hunter refused to turn around. He just kept walking all the while wondering if he should run. He heard running footsteps behind him and decided it was now or never. He began running as fast as he could, his backpack slapping against his side as he clutched at it. It slowed him down and he debated tossing it aside.

"What's your hurry?" a voice said as a hand grabbed the back of his jean jacket and yanked him to a standstill.

Hunter turned to face the boy who had grabbed him. He was quickly surrounded by the gang of five boys. "I think I lost my way," Hunter said softly.

"I know you did," the boy who had grabbed him replied. "And that will cost you an admission fee."

"I … I don't have any money," Hunter said.

"Oh, I bet you have some, and you're trespassing in our territory. It will cost you whatever you have."

Hunter shoved at the nearest boy and tried to break through the circle of gang members who had surrounded him. A fist drove hard into his gut and he went down hard all the air forced out of his lungs. The thought of the bruise he would have to go with the one on his jaw was the last thing he remembered as a boot connected with the side of his head. After that all was darkness.



*****



"Bobby, breathe!"

"I am breathing. Ugh, this is for shit. I'm 33 years old and scared of my parents."

"You are not scared of your parents. Nervous, anxious, a royal pain in my ass but not scared."

"John, I think you've been hanging out with Brian too much. You're beginning to sound like him."

"I don't know if that's a good thing or not. Now, let's go inside."



*****



"Mom, Dad!"

"Hi, honey, how are you?"

"Good, Mom. You remember my partner, John Anderson."

"Yes. Please come in, we've just sat down at the table. Robert, introduce Mr. Anderson to your sister."

"Please, call me John, only my clients call me mister and then only for the first five minutes. I believe we met at Bobby's graduation. It's Rachel, isn't it?"

"Yes, and it's good to see you again. And this is my husband, George. We didn't get to speak too much after the ceremony."

"I know; I'm sorry about that. We had a plane to catch."

"How were your adventures? It must have been so exciting."

"It was very exciting. I'd show you all the pictures but we're still organizing them. There must be hundreds of them. When we have the albums put together, you all must come for dinner."

"Maybe we can get Brian and Justin to come up for a visit."

"Bobby, that's an excellent idea."

"Who's Brian and Justin?"

"Brian is my half brother and Justin is his partner. They live in Pittsburgh. Justin was the one who discovered my ancestor, John Aidan Brian Kinney."

"Oh yes, I read all about that last year. All those paintings hidden in a root cellar for a hundred years. Your mother must be thrilled; the Farm is finally self-sufficient."

"Enough chatter, I suggest we all eat. Your mother went to a lot of trouble preparing this meal. I suggest we eat it while it's hot."

"Yes, Dad."



*****



"Mr. Anderson, you have an office in Harrisburg, I believe."

"Yes, sir, I do and please call me John. I have a small office there but I'm on the road a lot. I like to keep a close eye on the progress of the buildings I design. My clients have the option of using whatever construction company they choose but I've been doing this for a long time. Some construction crews need more looking after than others. Bobby tells me you're a doctor."

"Yes, I am. Practiced for many years in Harrisburg then decided that our own town needed another doctor, so here I am."

"I agree. I was offered several partnerships but I also wanted to stay close to home. Dr. Morrison, you must be very proud of your son; he graduated top of his class and was sought after by several well known law practices in the state and I also know of a few in New York that wanted him too. Bobby chose to stay here. He has a wonderful sense of community. It's one of his most attractive qualities."

"Mr. Anderson, John, I may want to renovate my office, will you join me in my study."

"Of course, sir."



*****



"John, what are you doing with my son?"

"I'm not quite sure what you mean."

"My son thinks he's a homosexual. I'm sure in time, when he meets the right girl..."

"Dr. Morrison, Bobby doesn't think he's a homosexual, he is a homosexual and has been since he was a boy. He doesn't dislike women; he just has no interest in them. Bobby is a wonderful man, so full of life and love. And he's passionate about the law and making sure the small businesses are well represented. His first client was the Farm. And other charitable organizations around the state are begging him to represent them because he's honest and compassionate. Dr. Morrison, don't let the fact that he's gay get in the way of loving your son. I've seen first hand what that can do to a gay man, or woman for that matter. My brother is a prime example. Brian is brilliant at what he does. He's strong, so smart, so good looking, won many awards for his ads. But for all his accomplishments, all he really wanted was for his father to love him. It nearly destroyed him. If it wasn't for his partner, I'm sure he'd be a bitter lonely man. Now he's a wonderful partner and a loving father."

"A father?"

"Yes, Brian has a beautiful little boy named Gus. Here, look at his picture. That's Justin, Brian's partner and that's Lindsay, Gus' mother and one of Brian's best friends. Anything is possible, Dr. Morrison. Don't shut Bobby out, please. If you don't approve of us, me, that's fine. You never have to see me again but please, for your son's sake, show him that you are proud of him. A son should not be frightened of his father, of his parents. He wants to share so much with you. I know he's close to his sister; they talk several times a week. Before it's too late, talk to him."

"I know your mother. She and my wife are members of the same church. We've worked together on many church functions. She's a good woman and she's raised a good man. I won't say that I'm comfortable knowing my son is..."

"Gay."

"Gay. But if this is how he must live his life then he's lucky to a have a..."

"Partner."

"Partner, like you. You've given me a lot to think about. I love my children and I am very proud of both of them. I want them to be happy."

"Then ask him if he's happy. Ask him what makes him happy."

"I think I will."

"No time like the present. I'll send him in. I'm sure Mrs. Morrison needs some help in the kitchen. I'm a whiz with a coffee pot. And I'd be happy to design something for you, when you're ready."



*****



"Dad? John said you wanted to talk to me. Is everything all right?"

"Yes, yes. Everything is fine. I just thought we needed to talk. I just wanted to tell you that I am very proud of you and I regret not telling you that sooner. You worked very hard to get where you are and with little help from us."

"Dad..."

"Robert, don't interrupt. This is difficult for me. I grew up believing a man makes a career for himself, gets married and has a family. When someone said they were gay, it meant they were happy. You were a happy little boy. I could always spot you in a crowd, flaming red hair and bright smile. We've grown distant and I don't like it. I'd like to get to know Bobby."

"Yes Dad! Oh, yes!"

"Good. Now I think I smell coffee and your mother baked a cake. Let's get out there before your nieces eat it all up."



*****



"Dr. and Mrs. Morrison, thank you so much for inviting me. Dinner was wonderful. Rachel, George, it was good to see you again. After I speak to my mother, I'd love it if you'd come to dinner, real soon."

"Will we get to meet your brother?"

"I think that can be arranged. But I have to warn you, he and his partner are very opinionated. They don't hold back on anything."

"They sound like very interesting people."

"You don't know the half of it. Goodnight."

"Night Mom, Dad. Talk to you soon, Rach."

"Night!"



*****



"John?"

"Hmm?"

"Thank you."

"For what?"

"For tonight. Whatever you said to my father, it, well, I haven't felt this good about my relationship with him in a long time. I feel like I have a second chance, that he really wants to know me."

"And your mother?"

"She's happy if my dad is happy."

"Then we'll have to make sure that the Morrison men are happy."

"I love you, John."

"I love you, Bobby."