- Text Size +
Story Notes:

 

 

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

 

"Baby."

"Yes, honey."

"No, I mean, baby. Bobby, I think it's time we gave some serious thought to having a baby."

"John, I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you but neither one of us has the parts to make a baby."

"Yes, but we have half the parts. All we need is the rest."

"John, do you have any idea how difficult it is to for two gay men to adopt? Not, to mention finding a surrogate. And what if we were successful? We're two very busy men. Do you really think we can fit a baby into our lives?"

"Bobby, answer me this. If I was a woman and I said I was pregnant, would you be happy about it? You do want children, don't you? We have discussed the possibility."

"Yes and yes. And I know we've discussed it but I guess I've gotten selfish since we got married. I like it with just the two of us."

"Bobby Morrison-Anderson! I can't believe you just said that."

"John, please. I like that we can come and go as we please. And be honest, so do you. When Brian calls up and says come to Pittsburgh, Babylon is having a special event; you're the first one rushing to our closet looking for something to wear. I'll never forgive Brian for showing you how to shop. Now, if we have a baby, we couldn't do that."

"No, not with an infant but when he's a bit older, I'm sure my mother wouldn't mind babysitting now and then. Bobby, please, I'm forty-two, I want children while I still have the energy to enjoy them. As it is when the kid goes to high school, I'll be ready for retirement. Please, Bobby, please. Don't say no. Just tell me you'll think about it some more. Do your lawyer thing and research it."

"Okay, I will, I promise. John?"

"Hmm?"

"I know you don't have the parts but could we go to bed now and pretend you do?"

"Oh Baby!"

As the Morrison-Anderson family contemplates procreation the Kinney-Taylor family is contemplating a change of venue. Or at least one half of the Kinney-Taylor family is.

"Brian, I am not going to New York!"

"Justin, you have to go."

"Why?"

"Because, in a couple of weeks you're graduating and this letter says you have to go."

"You read my mail?"

"No, not intentionally. It was from PIFA, and I thought it was from the bursar. They screwed up your tuition bill this last semester. I've been fighting with them for months. I thought it had something to do with that. By the time I realized it was for your internship, I was halfway through the damn thing. Look, read it for yourself. They have a gallery lined up, student housing and a mentor. You have to go."

"Give me that! Fuck!"

"See, you have to go."

"Brian, I...I don't want to go. We've, you and me, we've gotten so close in this past year. The thought of being away from you, not sleeping with you every night; I don't think I could do that."

"Justin, I'm not turning cartwheels either but this is something you have to do. Sidney Bloom called the other day. You sold another painting. The agents have been beating a path to his door wanting to represent you. The only reason they haven't been bugging you here is because you've gone through me to protect your privacy. They all know you're graduating soon. Once you're out of PIFA, you're fair game."

"Fuck, this is a nightmare."

"No, it isn't. This is your opportunity to make the next step in your career. Sidney and Lindsay have both promised to help you choose the right agent. And Bobby will look over any contracts you may have to sign. I won't let anyone take advantage of you or steer you into anything you don't want to do. But you have to go."

"Are you pushing me out again?"

"In a sense, yes. But we'll do this together. Justin, I think I've gotten this monogamy thing down pat but the thought of you leaving is scaring the shit out of me. When it happens I want to make sure we do this right. And don't be surprised that I camp out on your doorstep every weekend."

"You promise you'll visit and often. You're not just saying that."

"No, I'm not. Besides, someone has got to protect that ass of yours. The minute you land in New York, you're going to be pounced on by every Tom, Dick and dick. No boy of mine is going to be in New York unprotected. I intend to have spies everywhere."

"Everywhere?"

"Yes. Everywhere. Justin, you're going to take the art world by storm. I have to get used to that. And I will do everything in my power to make sure that happens and safely. Justin..."

"Brian, I love you so much."

"I love you too. Now, can we go to bed and fuck? If I have to be without you, I want to memorize every part of you. Every hair, every curve, every bit of you."

"Yes, oh yes, Brian."

"Just remember, you only say yes to me, no one else."

"No one else; and Brian..."

"No one else but you Justin. If I have to put my dick in a cage I will for you. But you have to call me every day and every night to remind my why I have to suffer all alone."

"You won't be the only one suffering. Brian, we can go back to the way it was before."

"Before?"

"Yeah, you know, don't ask, don't tell. If it makes things easier, I mean."

"No. I can't do that. Justin, did I ever tell you about the time during the Ian thing that I hired a hustler."

"A hustler?"

"Yeah. A little blond blue-eyed hustler. He was your size, and built like you with blond hair like yours. When I closed my eyes, I could almost believe he was you. But it was all wrong. He didn't feel like you. Didn't smell like you; didn't make love like you. No, Justin. I made my commitment to you and so help me, I'm going to do my damnedest to keep it."

"Brian..."

"Shh, no allergies, not now. I can't take it. Let's go to bed. Let me love you."

"Yes, Brian."

Brian Kinney swept his lover into his arms and took him to bed.

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

"Hello?"

"Hunter? It's me, Terry. We have that chem final tomorrow. Do you want to come over and study?"

"Uh, it's kind of late, Terry."

"Late? It's only 6:30. Besides, the test isn't till one; we can get in several hours and still sleep late. You can stay here, if you're worried about falling asleep while driving home."

"Terry, I think I'll pass. I have some chores to do at the Farm before dinner and Steve's expecting me early tomorrow morning. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Well, if you're sure. Call me if you change your mind."

"I will. Thanks Terry. Goodnight."

"Goodnight Hunter. Don't work too hard."

"I won't."

Hunter cut the connection then slumped against the wall. He and Terry were starting to get close. Hunter found it too distracting and was beginning to feel uncomfortable.

"Hunter, what is it?" Claire asked as she saw the dismay on Hunter's face. Hunter almost lied and told her nothing was wrong. But he owed so much to Claire and John and Bobby that the thought of not telling her the complete truth didn't bode too well.

"That was Terry on the phone. She invited me to go over and study with her. We have a chem final tomorrow afternoon."

"And you said no."

"How'd you guess?"

"I don't see your books or the truck keys in your hand. What's wrong? She's a very nice young woman and you're a very nice young man. What's the problem?"

"Oh nothing, just the little inconvenience of being positive."

"Hunter, studying for a final doesn't always equal sex. Now help me with dinner, it's just the two of us tonight."

As Hunter and Claire prepared their evening meal, Claire urged Hunter to speak his mind.  "Hunter, I don't want to pry but I think I've earned your trust. You know I won't repeat anything you tell me in confidence."

"I know that, Claire. It just seems so complicated at times."

"What does? Do you think Terry wants to get closer to you? Become more than a study partner?"

"Yeah. We've gone out a couple of times, in a group. You know, after class, that sort of thing. I've driven her home and well, we've kissed but..."

"No fireworks?"

"What?"

"Hunter, I wasn't born yesterday. You kids today didn't invent sex."

"Uh, Claire, this is getting weird."

"Hunter, did you think I found John in a cabbage patch? His father and I made love and he was the result. Now, back to you. Do you like Terry in that way?"

"But, I'm positive."

"I understand that has a lot to do with your decision whether or not to have sex but that has nothing to do with you wanting to be with a person."

"I don't understand."

"Don't play dumb with me. If Brian Kinney walked through that door and said to you let's go to bed, you'd be in your room, naked in bed and panting with anticipation in two seconds."

"Claire!"

"Don't look shocked. You know it's true. Now, does Terry ring your chimes?"

"Ring my chimes?" Claire scowled at Hunter. He got her meaning but found it amusing that he was having a sex conversation with Claire.

"No, she doesn't. I almost wish she did."

"Hunter, have you been with a girl? In the biblical sense."

"Yes, I have, been with a girl."

"And did you enjoy it?"

"It was okay."

"And with men?"

"That...was different. It was...business."

"I see. So you've never made love with a man."

"Clairrreee! Geez!"

"You live with gay men; you learn a thing or two."

"You mean heard a thing or two."

"Yes." Claire blushed and the two of them laughed as they were plating up dinner.

"John and Bobby were quiet for the most part. But Brian and Justin were not."

"Tell me about it. If that barn loft could talk. I've been considering selling some of the hay on e-bay for extra cash."

"You wouldn't."

"No, I wouldn't but they are noisy."

"Yes, they are. Now, my point. I'm not pushing you to have sex for the sake of sex alone but you have no means of comparison. You've made love to a girl but you've never made love with a man. That's probably why you're confused."

"So, you're saying I should get laid by a man before I make a decision."

"I wouldn't put it quite that way but essentially, that's it. You've been to the Honey Bear. There must be plenty of young men there who you find interesting."

"I think the Honey Bear is a little too close to home."

"What about in Harrisburg? Are there any gay clubs or bars you can go to?"

"Yeah, but I'm not much for the club scene and I'm still too young to go into bars without a parental figure."

"This is harder than I thought it would be. What about at school? Doesn't your gaydar ping every once in a while?"

"Claire, where do you come up with this stuff?"

Ignoring Hunter's question, Claire went on. "So does it ping?"

"There is this guy in my psych class."

"Oh?"

"I hate to say this Claire but I think you've been hanging around Emmett too much. But yeah, there's this guy. He's kinda tall and lean like Brian but with lighter hair and chocolate brown eyes. He's quiet, like he's taking everything in and analyzing it. I think he's pre-med. He's a year or two older than me and doesn't seem to hang out with other kids."

"If he is pre-med then he might be very serious about his education. He wouldn't have time to hang out as you put it. Hunter, tell me about Terry."

"What do you want to know?"

"What's the color of her eyes?"

"I don't know."

"I do. They're blue but not blue enough for you to notice. Hunter, what's his name?"

"Nicolas, Nick, for short."

"And does he seem interested in you?"

"I'm not sure. We sit close to each other in class and share notes sometime. He hasn't asked me out if that's what you mean."

"Have you asked him?"

"No. I guess I was thinking about going out with Terry."

"Did you take your psych final yet?"

"No, not yet. Tomorrow after chemistry."

"Then I suggest you ask him out for a cup of coffee."

Hunter smiled and nodded, "Yes, ma'am."