- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Brian and Justin have their dinner meeting and both men find themselves trying to feel each other out, but they both have spent years avoiding personal disclosures, thus making things difficult to connect.  However, the evening ends with Justin trusting Brian, a virtual stranger, more than he ever thought he would trust anyone as he hands over a piece of himself to the man.     

Justin sat across the table from Brian Kinney and tried to gauge the man. They were seated in a prime spot in one of the nicest Italian restaurants near Central Park and shared a glass of wine while waiting for their dinner to arrive. They were still in the 'feeling each other out' stage of the evening. Justin was normally very good at judging people and their motives right off the bat, but there was something closed off about this Kinney character. It wasn't that he was unfriendly or standoffish....just the opposite actually. Brian was charming and openly friendly. But there was something else about the man, and Justin was having trouble putting his finger on it. Brian seemed guarded somehow despite his thoughtful manner.

Justin could not know that Brian was sitting across from him stewing with the same quandary. He had liked Justin's forthright manner from the minute he met the young man, but there was something self-protective about the good looking blond. It was as if he was afraid to show too much of himself to the outside world. He seemed to have a shell around him. Brian was a little confused. Justin certainly answered any questions put to him in a straightforward way, but Brian got the feeling that this wouldn't stay true if he asked the wrong things of him. The two men continued their verbal jousting while waiting for their waiter.

Shortly after, their thoughts were interrupted by the arrival of the first course of the delicious meal they had ordered on Dan. The waiter set down the crusty loaves of garlic infused bread, then placed the small bowl of artichoke salad next to it. Their careful verbal exploration of each other was also set aside as they continued to enjoy the main course of their meal. Brian dug into his shrimp, scallop, and spinach risotto while Justin enjoyed his Siciliana Swordfish with sweet raisins, sour olives, and piquant capers. When Justin suggested they try a taste of each others dishes, Brian was surprised at himself for not being offended. He couldn't remember the last time he shared a dish with what amounted to a client, let alone a friend. That was at the heart of his confusion over young Taylor. The kid was a bit unpolished but Brian felt a strange desire to polish him up till he sparkled like a diamond. It just wasn't like Brian to want to take anyone under his wing. So why this kid?

No less confused was Justin. He couldn't believe he'd been so bold as to ask to share Brian's plate. Geez, he thought to himself, it wasn't as if he'd been raised in a home with no manners. He had never been this bold before. He could always put his boldness down to the dish Brian was served being so tempting, but that didn't make sense. He loved a good meal just as much as the next guy, but he had never abandoned courtesy over food before. What in the world was it about Kinney that made him feel he could be so familiar with the man. They were literally strangers. Justin wasn't comfortable with strangers...hadn't been since early childhood. So why this man?

The men finished their meal and sat back with an after dinner glass of wine and tiramisu. They got right back into the verbal game of 'tag, you're it' with questions bouncing back and forth as they tried to get a handle on each other. They combined business talk with general conversations about the upside and downside of living in New York City and what it was like running your own business compared to being pretty much self-employed. Brian did his best to draw out as much personal information on young Taylor so he could sell him better, or at least that was what he told himself, but Justin was adept at avoiding questions that got too personal. He did allow a few questions that brought up generic parts of his personal life but always managed to get similar info on Brian in return for his answers.

By the end of the meal, the two men had managed to open the door to each other by the tiniest crack. As Brian paid the bill with Dan's corporate card and left a generous tip, he gathered his things and stuffed the notepad and pen in his jacket pocket. He always made quick notes when scoping out a new business deal or client. Justin waited patiently and then exited the restaurant with Brian right behind. They stood on the sidewalk and felt the crisp early Autumn breeze blowing between the tall buildings. The branches of trees across the street on this side of Central Park swayed with the motion of the air as it flowed around them. It wasn't really cold yet but the men were glad for their warm jackets. They zipped up and started walking. They crossed the street to where the park was.

"Would you like to take a little walk in the Park before heading home. It's still early, and we can talk a bit more about my advertising plans" Brian asked casually.

"Sure," Justin answered.

Actually, he was a little surprised that he felt in no hurry to end their conversation. He would have normally been more than glad to have the evening over and be able to escape back to his solitary apartment. This night...this day had been full of surprising feelings for the young man. Just the fact that he was willing to put himself out and risk exposure was a huge surprise to Justin and totally our of character for him. He certainly wouldn't be shocked to discover that Brian Kinney had a highly successful business. He was certainly one hell of a great salesman. He'd sold him on this whole idea of advertising his work. That proved Kinney's salesmanship abilities right there. The thought that he just liked being in Brian's company and that was the reason he was in no hurry to leave for home had nothing to do with it...or at least that's what he told himself as he fell into step beside the older man.

The leaves were just beginning to change colors on the trees in the park and a few errant ones had already fallen to the ground. The light breeze blew the orange tinged green leaves across their paths as the two attractive men walked slowly side by side with their hands jammed into their jacket pockets. They chatted a little till they came to a stone bench. Brian pointed to the empty seats and Justin nodded. They walked over and took a seat. An occasional jogger or strolling couple passed them by. It was getting too late for any young children, but a family or two with slightly older kids would walk by. Brian took the opportunity to bring up Justin's family.

"So, Justin, you mentioned at our earlier meeting that your family doesn't know what you do for a living. They don't live here in New York?"

Justin's defenses rose up. He answered cautiously. "I was raised in a nearby suburb but my family is scattered now. I don't see them much anymore, well except for Mom and Molly. Molly is my younger sister. Do you see your family much?" Justin had perfected the art of answering a question with a question. Brian recognized the tactic and decided to play along, as long as it didn't go too far.

"Not really. The old man passed a few years ago from cancer. I have a younger sister too but I don't see too much of her family or my mother. They have their lives. I have mine. Sounds a bit like your situation."

Brian had actually said more than he intended, but Justin's next words caught him off guard.

"Oh, I doubt it."

Brian waited for more but it wasn't forthcoming. The young man quickly changed the subject.

"So, why don't you tell me a bit more of what you have in mind for me?"

Brian recognized a diversion when he heard it. He'd done it himself often enough.

"Okay. We've already talked about you doing some radio spots and print ads using your pseudonym. I had a friend suggest you also do some online chats. Dan's publishing houses all have their own sites and they have blogs going on all the time. We could set up a chat line with fans of your work. We won't use any camera work and it will not include voice so no one will know it's you unless they know your pseudonym."

"No one knows except Dan and a couple of editors. Dan's a good man. He's kept his word to me about everything ever since I agreed to write porno for him."

"I've read some of your work. Do you mind me asking a question?"

"Depends," Justin hesitated. He hoped Brian wasn't going to get personal again.

"Well, I'm just curious. I can tell you are really a talented writer from the samples I've read. I can see it through all the moaning and groaning. You have a feel for emotions and you're really good at making the people more than just cardboard cutouts. I really admire the descriptive way you paint a picture of what is going on...besides the sex, I mean. Most porno writers don't even bother with that. Dan tells me that you are working on a more mainstream story. Have you nearly finished it yet?"

"Not even close. I keep playing around the edges of my characters, but something is missing. Maybe I'm just not as good as Dan or even I think I am." Justin sounded truly dejected.

"Would you give me a chance to see what you've written. I studied creative writing in school to prepare for my career. I could promise you an honest critique. No holds barred. At least you'd have a third opinion of your work."

"Third opinion?"

"You said that you and Dan thought you had the talent to create a real story. I give you my word I'd be totally honest with you."

Justin sat next to Brian and felt a slight chill that had nothing to do with the cool breeze. He couldn't put his finger on it, but for some reason he really didn't want to disappoint this man. He wanted to show Brian his work...and even more, he wanted Brian to like it. Made no sense, but there it was. He had been blocked for so long on the story. Maybe some fresh eyes would reinvigorate his muse and get it moving again. He wasn't getting any younger and he was more than ready to throw his success in his dad's face. Right now his whole family thought he was nothing but a copywriter for a New York magazine. It was an honorable job but nothing that his father would call a big success. If he didn't get a book published that would sell his dad would never look up to him. Justin needed that more than anything. He knew he shouldn't care what his dad thought about anything, but it mattered to him. He had to prove he could be even more of a success than his dad. It was as simple as that.

Brian could see the wheels turning in Justin's pretty blond head. He saw the flashes of fear mixed with the desire for approval as they played out on Justin's face. Brian was beginning to get an inkling into the heart of one Justin Taylor. He remembered Justin's outburst in Dan's office earlier that day when he was afraid his dad would find out what he did for a living. This kid definitely had daddy issues. Brian could relate. He hoped that Justin would trust him. He would keep his word and be totally honest. The kid needed that. He sensed his opinion would matter.

"Alright," he heard Justin answer in a soft voice.

"Alright?"

"Yes, I'll trust you to give me an honest review. But just remember that it is still unfinished, very rough and unpolished. Don't expect too much. Deal?"

"Deal. So do you want to send it to my hotel or should I pick it up at your place?"

Justin thought for a minute. He hadn't let anyone see his place outside of delivery folks and the landlord. He valued his privacy too avidly. Even Mom and Molly hadn't seen it. They knew the address but he had always visited them at their new house or at some neutral place in the city. But then again, he had trusted Dan to come over a few times but always just to talk business. He knew Dan's secret life but the man had never made a play for Justin, even though he knew Justin was gay. Justin respected that. He felt secure around Dan. He wasn't so sure he would feel that secure around Brian, but he felt he had to take the chance. He really did want an outside opinion of his work from someone who wasn't vested in him. Dan felt he owed Justin big time. He might not be as brutally honest. Justin got the feeling that Brian was always brutally forthright whether someone wanted him to be or not. With that thought in mind he gave Brian his answer.

"Why don't you just come by my place and I'll give you a copy of what I have so far. Then you can take the cab on to your hotel."

"Sounds good to me," Brian agreed.

The men got up and walked back to the outside of the park where they could flag down a passing cab. Shortly after, they were on their way to Justin's place. When they arrived at the address Justin gave the cabbie, Brian paid the driver with a hefty tip and asked him to wait. The tip was more than enough incentive and the man idled the car. Brian followed Justin up the three flights of stairs to his floor. They entered the tiny but neat apartment and Justin flipped on the overhead light. The living room was a little cramped for Brian's tastes but it had all the essentials. The one thing Brian noticed right away was how spare it was. There were few personal touches to the room....certainly no family photos could be seen. Sterile...that was the word that Brian thought of. It was like a waiting room. He saw nothing that made him think of Justin, or what little he knew of Justin so far.

An open doorway led into a kitchen where Brian could see a small kitchen table with two chairs pulled up close. Another door led into what Brian presumed was the bedroom although it was closed. On the other side of the sparsely furnished living room was a small alcove facing a window with the shades drawn. Brian knew right away where Justin did all his writing.

"Nice place," Brian said, with little conviction.

"I know it's not much, but it fits my immediate needs and I'm trying to save for the future," Justin offered. He had caught Brian's tone.

"That's admirable. Most young people never think of the future...only the here and now," Brian replied. He actually was impressed with Justin's sense of responsibility to his future.

"Well, no one else is going to take care of my future for me." It suddenly dawned on Justin that he'd revealed more than he wanted to. "And I wouldn't have it any other way," he added quickly.

"As I said, admirable. Now where is that copy?"

"Just give me a minute," Justin told him.

Justin opened the closed door and flipped on the bedroom light. Brian could see that this room was just as spare as the rest of the apartment. He could see the small twin sized bed next to the old dresser. It looked like Justin had furnished the place from a thrift store. Chances were that he had. Justin walked over to an old roll top desk while Brian waited near the doorway. He pulled out one of the side drawers and dug out a file folder hanging there. He pulled a group of papers from the folder and put them in another folder that closed up with ties. He marched back into the living room where Brian waited. He handed the folder over to Brian who started to take it from his hands. Justin hesitated for a few seconds before releasing the folder. Brian smiled at the slightly frowning young man.

"Don't worry Justin. I know that a writer's stories are like their children. I'll treat this with nothing but respect and care and return it to you in pristine condition." He laughed gently to show that he wasn't making fun of Justin.

"I..ahh..I trust you. Really. I just want you to be honest with me. Okay?"

"Absolutely. You have my word on it. I've got a full agenda tomorrow, so how about having lunch with me the day after that. It will give me time to read and also come up with some firm agendas for you to check out for promotionals."

Justin agreed and the two men shook on it. When they shook hands, Justin felt that odd feeling in the pit of his stomach again...the same one he had gotten when he first saw Brian in Dan's office. His mouth went dry. He quickly put it down to what he had eaten combined with his nervousness over turning his incompleted transcript to a virtual stranger. He was unaware that Brian had felt something odd at the same time. Brian pulled his hand back and brought the folder closer to his body, as if he was protecting it. Why in the hell did this kid make him feel so protective? It was a little unnerving, but Brian had work to do, so he shook off the feeling and bid Justin good bye. He told Justin he would call about their lunch date and hurried away to catch his cab for the hotel. Justin closed the door slowly behind the tall good looking man. The blond touched his stomach, which was still fluttering slightly. He shook his head, grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and moved over to his alcove. He would write a couple of juicy sex scenes before hitting the sack. For some reason he was really in the mood for some X-rated prose.

To be continued..................