- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Things are coming to a head under, or should I say outside the Big Top. One man comes out of the shadows, but will he be able to darken Brian and Justin's life? Read on and let's find out. Many thanks are due to Judy for her beta work and Amy for my banner.

 

 

The music soared as Brian successfully caught first Lisa, then her sister who changed places with her in mid-air. Each girl then launched herself off her swing and onto the one Robbie was riding. All three completed their turn and landed simultaneously on the platform. It was their final move. They waved to the audience, earning thunderous applause. 

Outside the massive tent, Justin could hear the reaction from his booth. He smiled his pleasure, knowing the ovation was announcing the end of the show and that Brian would soon be joining him. Within five minutes, the final parade around the perimeter of the sawdust-filled interior would begin with Brian and his troupe taking up the first position. The animals would then be put up for the night and the circus lights would dim. Justin had become quite comfortable with the routine. It seldom varied. A well-run circus succeeded by working like a well-oiled machine. There was always an occasional drunk who had purchased a bit too much beer, but usually circus visitors were a happy lot. 

Justin had sketched a decent number of portraits and pictures during the two hours before the show actually began and even had a couple of requests from stragglers who didn't stay for the entire show. However, there was nobody expected to pick up any completed works so Justin decided to go ahead and start closing up his booth a little early. Few people visited the booths after the show if it was one of the late night ones on a Sunday. They needed to get home for a good night's sleep before work the next day. 

Justin had just finished putting away his charcoals when he heard a disturbance coming from around the corner of the booth. He figured it was probably a drunk being taken care of by one of the roustabouts, but was completely thrown by what he saw as three figures emerged from the darkness. He instantly recognized two of the men. Drew and one of his assistants came into view with a man dangling between them by his arms as they forcibly moved him along towards Debbie's office tent. That wouldn't have bothered him. It was the fact that he also recognized the captive man that sent his brain into panic mode. It was Ethan, of all people.

Ethan....how the hell had he found him so far from home? And what had he been doing to receive such curt attention? Justin's mind scurried in a dozen different directions, trying to decide whether to hide or tell his friends that he knew the guy who was struggling to get loose from them. Before he could make up his mind which was the most prudent move, the choice was made for him. Ethan yanked one arm free from the smaller of the two hulking men and whirled around far enough to spot Justin as he stood staring at the whole scene playing out in front of him.

"Justin!" Ethan shouted. "Tell these Neanderthals that you know me. They seem to think I'm some kind of nefarious person who was planning to do their circus harm."

Both men turned, surprised to see their very own Justin standing there, looking a little green around the gills. Whoever the guy was that they had caught skulking around in areas of the grounds that had clearly been marked as off-limits to visitors, he obviously knew Justin...and by the looks of it, Justin knew him. They got a better grip on their prisoner and dragged him over to where Justin stood, clearly uncomfortable.

"Justin, do you know this guy? We caught him hiding out in an off-limits area out back." Drew asked without preamble.

It took a moment for Justin to gather his thoughts. He was still reeling from the shock. He knew that Ethan had resources aplenty to locate him, but he had obviously misjudged Ethan's determination to have his own way when he wanted something...or someone. He looked up at his friend, Drew, and began to answer the man nervously.

"He's right, Drew. I do know this guy, but I can't speak for what he was up to being where he didn't belong. He's an....ahhh....old acquaintance from Pittsburgh."

Ethan was clearly irritated that Justin had used such a dismissive tone about him, as if they were nothing more than casual friends from the past.

"What were you going to do with him?" Justin asked, praying it would be something like kicking him off the grounds and barring him from ever returning.

"We were going to take him to Debbie's office to see what she wanted to do with this trespasser, but if you'll vouch for him I guess that will be good enough to let him off with a warning," Drew answered.

That was not what Justin wanted to hear, but he couldn't think of a good reason to tell them to continue with their original plans without telling them more of his history with Ethan. That, he didn't want to do. So instead, Justin promised to make sure that Ethan knew he wasn't welcome to go poking around just anywhere on Circus grounds and the two men freed his arms. Drew was hesitant to leave, sensing something wasn't quite right between the stranger and Justin, but since his young friend didn't speak up and complain about anything in particular he knew it wasn't any of his business. He indicated that his employee should join him and the two men moved off.

"Thanks, Sweetheart. I was sure those two goons were going to rip my arms right out of their sockets."

Justin gave Ethan a withering look. 

"Don't call me 'Sweetheart', Ethan. I'm not your 'Sweetheart' and never will be. How the hell did you find me? I told you a long time ago that I didn't want to see you anymore and I meant it."

Ethan did his best to look contrite, not carrying it off very well. 

"I know what you said, Swe..., Justin but you were still a little mad at me at the time. People in love quarrel all the time, but that's what gives making up its spice. I knew that deep down you hadn't forgotten the beautiful thing we had together and that sooner or later you'd come back to me. I just wanted to make it easier on you by coming to you first. You know, to show that there are no hard feelings. You have no idea how much money it took to find you. Who would have ever thought that a talented brain like yours would have gone with the oldest cliche in the book....running away with the circus?" Ethan let out a little snort. "I guess you were just trying to re-live your childhood. I remember you telling me that you didn't have much of one while growing up."

Justin stood with his mouth agape. Did this idiot even hear what he was saying? Justin knew he had made himself perfectly clear when he broke up with Ethan a long time ago. He had left no doubt that he considered their relationship dead and buried. He knew Ethan hadn't been willing to let go when they were living so close together in the same town, but this was ridiculous. He was even surprised that Ethan mentioned his childhood since he could tell that the man seldom listened to anything he said when they were together....certainly not in the way that Brian paid attention to him.

Thinking of Brian brought panic rushing in. He had not really been that forthcoming with Brian about all the details of his past. He had avoided a lot of the pertinent information about his failed relationship with Ethan. It wasn't that he was afraid of Brian's reaction to his having been in a committed relationship before they got together. He didn't get the impression that Brian really cared about such things. It was that he was ashamed to admit how foolish and naive he had been. He craved Brian's respect as if it was his life-blood. His mind ran from corner to corner in search of a way to avoid having his ex meeting the man he loved. Before he could settle on an answer to his dilemma, the question was taken out of his hands.

Apparently time had passed quicker than Justin realized, because he heard Brian's voice calling out to him. He knew that tone. It was one of concern. He had had the same tone in his voice the time Justin made a mistake as he let go of his swing and dropped too soon to the netting. He almost missed the center of the net which could have caused him a lot of pain if he had hit the heavier edges. Brian saw it happen from his perch above and shouted Justin's name in that exact same worried tone of voice. He didn't want Brian coming over to him, but he knew he had to respond or Brian would get even more agitated.

"I'm over here, Brian," he called out. 

Brian came from around the corner of the stand and stopped short. Drew had just told him that Justin was with some guy he knew, but he hadn't expected to see Justin standing there so tense that it looked like he would scream if he was touched. Whoever the guy was, Justin didn't seem happy to have him there.

"Justin, Drew said you met some guy you knew from before."

Justin just stood there. His frantic thoughts were so scattered he couldn't think straight. Brian walked over to stand beside him and laid an arm over his shoulder. He turned to the stranger who seemed no happier to see him than Justin was, based on the scowl he threw Brian's way. The two men locked eyes and Brian was surprised at the venom he saw in the dark-haired man's gaze. He drew Justin a little closer, instinctively protecting his lover from the wild-eyed stranger, although he had no idea why he should feel the need. He waited for Justin to say something.

Justin's tongue finally loosened. Emboldened within the safety of Brian's arm, he quickly decided that sticking to the truth was his best bet. After all, he had already told Brian that he had left behind one ex-boyfriend on the day he had driven away from his hometown in Brian's Jeep, although he hadn't given Brian any details. It was time to prove his trust in Brian. 

"Brian, this is Ethan Gold. I mentioned him to you when you gave me a ride that day we left Pittsburgh. Do you remember?"

Brian did indeed remember that ride, but more for something else than any mention Justin may have made of some guy named Ethan Gold. It had been the start of what they shared with each other now. Ethan quickly pulled a mask over his face to disguise his true feelings by flashing a toothy grin at Brian as Justin announced who he was. He stepped forth with his hand outstretched. Brian didn't bother taking it. He wasn't fooled by the grin.

"I remember that ride quite well," he answered, hoping Justin would know what he was referring to. "I don't remember you mentioning an 'Ethan Gold', but you did say that you hadn't left anything behind unfinished when you joined our Circus...that is if my memory serves me right."

The venom snuck back into Ethan's dark eyes. 

"Well now, Mr......?"

"Kinney. Brian Kinney."

"Mr. Kinney. I guess Justin was still a little ticked off at me at the time. I mean, the last time we spoke he had indicated that he was willing to forgive and forget our little spat. However, I guess the lure of adventure was too much for him. Justin had just had his twenty-first birthday and he probably was afraid life was passing him by. I offered to pay his way for some travel and good times, but Justin is rather independent and didn't want to take advantage of me. I guess it is just one of the many things I love about him."

"Well, first of all, Mr. Gold, twenty one is hardly over the hill. I doubt if that was the driving force in his leaving Pittsburgh. From all the long talks we've had together at home (emphasizing the word home), I'd say it was more of a case of Justin looking for a fresh start after a big disappointment in his old life."

Brian looked down at Justin. "Did I get that right, Sunshine?" Brian asked sweetly.

Justin was amazed. Brian had zeroed in on the situation right on target and was handling it perfectly. Once again, he felt a swelling of pride in his man. 

"Exactly, Brian," Justin responded, smiling up into Brian's warm eyes.

Ethan was sharp enough to catch the meaning behind Brian's words. He stepped back. This time he didn't try to hide his anger.

"I get the picture, Mr. Kinney. You managed to worm your way into Justin's life when he was vulnerable after I made a stupid mistake. But I can assure you that what Justin and I had together was the real thing and sooner or later he is going to tire of all the empty glitter and nomadic lifestyle you're offering him. When he does, he'll know where to come for security and a real future. I can promise you that I'll be waiting with open arms and you'll be nothing but a distant memory of his wild and reckless youth."

Justin had heard enough. He shrugged Brian's arm off his shoulder and stepped between the two men. 

"That's quite enough, Ethan. I don't want to hear another word from your fucking mouth. What the hell do you think I am...some silly little kid who doesn't even know his own mind? I didn't leave you because we had a 'little spat' as you seem to insist on remembering it. I left you because you hit me."

Brian's body turned cold with fury. He felt an overwhelming urge to push Justin out of the way and wrap his hands around Ethan's scrawny neck. He resisted it because Justin clearly wasn't through with his ex-boyfriend and Brian knew he needed to get it all out. Ethan had raised his hand in protest, but Justin kept on, barely taking a breath.

"Don't bother trying to twist the truth around. I was there...remember? You came home from your trip and started accusing me of cheating on you when you knew damn well that it isn't in my character to do that. Then you hit me. It took me a while, but I finally figured out that the chances are you were the one cheating. It doesn't really matter whether you were or not. I was sick and tired of the way you had been treating me for a long time before that happened anyway. It just took you knocking some sense into me for me to wake up and see what a loser you are."

"You don't mean that," Ethan protested.

Justin sighed deeply. "I feel sorry for you Ethan. You have such a huge ego that you can't even admit to yourself when you've lost...and make no mistake, you've lost me forever. The sooner you recognize that fact, the sooner you can go on with your life. I found everything I ever wanted on my 'little adventure' with the Circus, including a man who knows how to treat someone they love with respect. You're a long way from being the man that Brian is and I have no intention of trading in the real thing for your illusion of love. I suggest you go back home and reorganize your priorities before you waste any more time and money on a hopeless pursuit."

Both of the men facing Ethan could see him slowly shrinking inside himself. This was not what he had expected at all. He had known that he would have to humble himself a bit to get a stubborn Justin to see the light, but this man was nothing like the kid he had called his own for a year. This Justin had developed a strong backbone somewhere along the way. It was crystal clear that this Justin didn't need anything from him.

Ethan had been afraid that he would have to deal with the trapeze artist while talking Justin into coming home. This Justin didn't need anyone talking for or protecting him. Justin Taylor was a man who could speak for himself and wasn't afraid to say what he meant. Somewhat reluctantly, Ethan had to admit that this Justin wasn't the kid he had fallen for and he really didn't belong to him anymore. Ethan needed someone who was more malleable....a description that didn't fit Justin Taylor anymore. Finally facing the inevitable, he now needed to save face as best he could.

"Okay, Justin, I get your point. You don't have to take a hammer and hit me over the head. You've obviously gotten everything from me that you wanted and now you're ready to move on to your next meal ticket (completely reversing all his earlier statements about Justin's independence and desire not to take advantage of him)."

He directed himself to Brian. "And as for you, Mr. Kinney, you can have him. He'll only break your heart like he did mine with false accusations once he's done with you. You two probably deserve each other. I'd offer you good luck, but I'm not feeling that magnanimous. But believe me, you'll need it." 

Turning back to Justin, "Good-bye, Justin. Oh, by the way, one of those commissions you got for a painting while in Florida....well, that was my man who gave it to you for me. You can keep it for yourself to remember me by. I don't think I'll be collecting any Taylor originals in the future."

With those last words, Ethan turned on his heel and walked out of Justin's life for good. Relief washed over Justin like a warm Spring breeze after a chilly Winter. He couldn't believe it was truly over. He hadn't really been afraid of Ethan, but he didn't like knowing the obsessed man was still out there possibly looking for him. He could sense that Ethan had meant what he said. Justin had finally gotten through to the man. He stepped closer to Brian and looked up at him. He wasn't sure how Brian would react now that they were alone. Brian didn't waste any time showing how he felt about what had just gone down between the three of them. He took Justin into his arms and hugged him tightly. 

"I'm so proud of you, Justin."

"I guess I should tell you the whole story about Ethan and me," Justin began.

Brian interrupted him. "You don't have to tell me a damned thing. I got the picture just fine. I repeat, I'm proud of you. I know a bully when I see one and you stood up to him beautifully. There is nothing a bully hates worse than someone who won't crumble when they demand to get their way. I doubt we'll ever have to deal with that brat again. You put him in his place and he'll stay there. I don't want to ever hear his name or see his ugly face again."

"Ethan, who?" Justin laughed.

Brian bent down and captured Justin's lips. They kissed deeply, love warming them at the very core of their being. Love had made Justin strong. Love had killed off one of the threats to their future happiness. 

One down....one to go!

To be continued.........................