- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

With this chapter, Justin has finally broken away from his old life....a life that has offered him little besides sadness and loneliness. Will he take to his new life and find it an improvement over his old one? And will he find far more than he could have asked for once he settles into his new job with the traveling circus? Let's get a hint as to the future right now. Many thanks to Judy for her tremendous help as beta and Amy for the banner.

 

 

It had been an interesting month for Justin, and that was putting it mildly. It all started that day he hurried home from his job interview with Debbie's circus. Looking back on it, he still couldn't believe that he had summoned up the guts to go for it in the first place. Of course, he had nothing to lose. If he didn't get the job he wouldn't be any worse off than he already was. He'd still be stuck in his hometown with an obsessive ex-boyfriend hanging around his neck like a noose waiting to choke the life out of him. He'd also still be stuck with a low-paying job that would barely provide him with enough income to pay his living expenses once he left the safety of Daphne's place while still giving him enough extra to slowly save up for another year at the Arts Academy. He had reasoned that trying out for the job would at least give him a shot at both escape and financial security, not to mention the grand adventure he might have with the new job.

He had woefully underestimated the adventure part of securing the job. It didn't take him more than a few days to figure out that his new job was going to be far more of an adventure than he had contemplated. It started that very first night. Justin had hurried out to his waiting cab and rushed back to Daphne's apartment house, making sure to enter her building from the rear so the stakeout that he was certain Ethan had arranged would not spot him. Justin took very little time in gathering up all his belongings and thrusting them haphazardly into the one suitcase he had left Ethan's place with. When he left Ethan, he left behind all the fancy clothes his ex had bought him. He only took away the things he had bought with his own money or had been gifted to him by his few friends. He wanted nothing to remind him of Ethan. 

Justin was a little more careful about packing up his artist's tote bag that he always took with him whenever he could. It was threadbare since it had been his one indulgence the day he was accepted into the Academy and had seen a lot of use since then, but it was his pride and joy. He made sure he left none of his art supplies behind. He could already picture himself sketching and painting so many wonderfully colorful scenes at the circus. His heart raced at the thought. It raced even faster when he thought of filling out the sketch he had already made of that gorgeous trapeze artist. What did he say his name was? Oh yeah, Brian Kinney. Just thinking of Mr. Kinney seemed to make Justin feel more positive about the future. In his eagerness to get moving, he didn't have enough time to analyze why he felt that way on the first day.

Once Justin finished up his meager packing he took the time to type up a quick letter of explanation for his best friend. He didn't go into a lot of detail but assured her he was doing what was best for them all. He made solemn promises to call her once she was back home and give her all the details as well as keep in close contact with her in the future. He made sure to thank her for all she had done for him and for being the one person he could turn to once he had finally been ready to accept that he had chosen badly for a future mate. With that task completed, he slipped out the back and found the waiting cab a few blocks down from the apartment house. Shortly after, he was again on the fairgrounds where the circus was set up.

By the time Justin got back to the circus grounds the usual chaos behind the tents was in full swing. That night's show would be the last performance in this town and it was a tradition to make it the best one of all. Everyone was either getting in one last practice performance before the real thing or setting booths and concession back into action, preparing food and games for the customers as well as sideshow displays. Justin spotted Brian coming out of one of the larger trailers some distance away. He would know that face and body anywhere. He hurried over to the man, hoping Brian would know where the boss lady was. He needed to know where to store his things and what he could do to help. Brian saw Justin coming towards him rapidly. The young man was almost out of breath by the time he reached Brian. It caused a slow grin to spread across Brian's face.

"Well that didn't take long," Brian stated, looking down at Justin's hand which was only carrying one suitcase while the other hand held on tightly to the strap of his tote bag. "Are you sure you aren't leaving something behind?"

"Anything left behind isn't needed...or wanted," Justin answered cryptically. 

He offered Brian one of his warmest smiles. Brian was struck by how beautiful that smile made the young man's face. It wasn't dark out yet, but if it had been he was sure the smile would have lit up the place like the spotlights under the circus Big Top. His smile was also meant to deflect from the serious tone in his voice when he made that last statement. Brian, however, caught on to it. He felt certain the young man was joining the circus for more than a good way to have fun and earn money at the same time. He reflected back on his own journey into joining the circus. He had wanted to get away from his old life and he suspected that was what young Justin wanted too. He was also wondering if there was a girl or maybe even a boy being left behind. He would dearly love to think it was a boy, but he wasn't about to come right out and ask...at least not until he got to know the kid better.

Justin interrupted his thoughts. "Do you know where I can find the boss? I need to know where I should put my things and see if I can help out tonight."

Brian liked Justin's eagerness. He didn't need to answer the question, however, since they both spotted the redhead coming towards them from the corner of a nearby trailer. Debbie was accompanied by a man of similar age, and her face lit up when she saw her newest employee talking to her star. She made her way over to the couple, the tall man trailing in her wake.

"Justin!" she greeted the blond enthusiastically. "I didn't expect you back for at least a few more hours. I like an employee who is so eager to get things done. I haven't really had the chance to let your new roomies know that you are coming yet. Why don't I take you to their trailer right now and you can get settled in. Once that is done you can meet me back at the office and I'll see what I can find for you to do during the show tonight. After that I can promise you that you'll have plenty to do. We have to strike the tents, take down booths, pack things away, take care of the animals, take care of ourselves, and get on the road to our next destination. We'll be working until late in the night. Are you up for it?" she asked with a grin.

"I'm ready any time you are," Justin promised. "Just point the way."

"Well then," Debbie continued, "follow me. You can come too if you have nothing better to do Brian." 

It was her subtle way of reminding him he had business to take care of, like a short practice session with his team. Brian caught the hint. He watched as the trio headed off in the direction of a cluster of trailers that housed most of the non-performing members of of the company. He continued to watch, his eyes on the retreating back of the cute blond. Justin certainly was a fine figure of a man, especially his well-rounded bubble butt. He was a little surprised when he saw which trailer Debbie stopped at. He knew all the trailers and who lived in them. This one housed a group that Brian particularly liked, mainly because they were all his kind of people. He heard Lisa, one of his girl flyers calling him so he knew he needed to get going. He made a mental note to ask Debbie why she picked that particular trailer for the new employee.

Meanwhile, Justin hurried to keep up with his new boss. She strode purposefully like a woman who always knew where she was going and why. She didn't stop until she reached her destination. She knocked lightly on the door. The trailer was one of the longest ones on the grounds. As she waited for someone to answer she introduced the man with her to young Justin.

"This is my baby Brother, Vic Grassi," she informed Justin. "He's our chief cook and bottle washer and helps to keep everyone in line." She laughed. "Don't let that scare you. Vic is a sweetheart. He only bites when he has to. He's third in command here. You've met the number two man...that's my son Michael. That's all the blood family we have left, but the truth is that we're all family in the company. If you have any troubles or questions you can come to any one of us. You've also met our number one star, and now you'll meet some of your newest and best friends...or I suspect they will be in no time at all."

Just then the door to the trailer opened and a very tall, colorfully-dressed young man popped out the door. He couldn't have been much older than Justin and had a smile every bit as friendly as the one Justin was known for. He stepped down to the ground and hugged the redhead tightly.

"Hey Debbie, what have we got here?" he asked, eyeing the cute stranger up and down and making Justin feel like he was being undressed right then and there.

"Down boy," Debbie laughed. "You be nice and don't scare away our new helper before he even gets settled in. Justin, this rather forward young man is Emmett Honeycutt. He is in charge of the costumes for the company. All that glitz and glamour is a product of his fevered brain."

Just then two other men stepped into the doorway. They poked their heads out to see what was going on. Debbie pointed to them both.

"The two characters hiding behind Emmett are also your new roommates. The studious looking one is our bookkeeper, Ted Schmidt. The one hanging over his shoulder is his partner, Dr. Blake Wyzecki. He takes care of all the mental and physical ills of our people. He's a great ear when you need someone to talk to. Fellows, this is our newest member of the family. His name is Justin Taylor and he'll be our Jack-of-all-trades for the time being until we find his niche. Say hello everyone."

Everyone obeyed. She then went on to explain that there was one more roommate that shared the trailer and that man was Emmett's partner, Drew Boyd who was the head roustabout and responsible for all the other laborers. He was busy at the moment getting his team ready to strike everything once the final show was over and customers had all left. Debbie explained that the trailer had two full bedrooms that the couples shared and a couch that pulled out into a bed for the new guy. Debbie didn't wait for Justin to ask about the arrangement. She explained herself immediately.

"I hope you have no objections to sharing your space with a bunch of gay men. I didn't get the impression that you are a bigoted jerk while talking to you. I am right, am I not?"

Justin was a little taken aback. He wasn't sure whether he should just come right out and admit he was a gay man himself or leave that bit of information alone. Instead he answered without giving away too much.

"No...no. I have absolutely no problem with gay folks or anyone else, for that matter. What a person chooses to do in their private life is their business." He looked at the new roommates. "I'm sure we'll get along fine," he concluded.

Debbie smiled to herself. She was right, and she knew it. Hopefully young Justin would be more comfortable being himself around everyone very soon. She could wait. Sometimes trust took time.

***************************************************************

The next month went by so fast that Justin barely had time to catch his breath. He had felt right at home in the trailer with his new roommates from the very first night. Every one of the guys were really good men and went out of their way to make him feel at home. It was a good thing he had so few belongings since the trailer was quite crowded. He met Emmett's hunky-looking boyfriend that very night while he did his best to help everyone break everything down so the equipment could be loaded on the appropriate trucks. He even helped out with some of the animals. By the time he collapsed onto the pull-out bed he was bone tired and totally exhausted. The next morning, when the sun had barely risen in the sky, the entire caravan pulled out and hit the highway. 

Justin had been shocked when Brian came looking for him while breakfast was being served under the last tent standing. Most of the members of the company were there, but Justin only had eyes for the tall brunet as he approached. He swung his long leg over the picnic table bench that Justin was sitting on and plopped down facing the newbie, giving him a cheerful grin. Quite a few of the others that were finishing up their morning meal noticed Brian's friendliness with the new guy. There were a few winks and smirks along with some surprised looks. They had never seen Brian cozy up to a new employee so fast before, especially one who wasn't really one of the entertainers. They had a busy morning ahead so they didn't take much time wondering what was going on.

"So how did you like your first night with the circus, Justin?" Brian inquired, casually picking up the piece of toast Justin had on the edge of his plate. He had noticed how hard the blond had worked last night.

"I feel like every muscle in my body is strained to its limit and I could use a few hours more sleep, but other than that...it was more fun than I've had in ages. I've got a feeling I'm going to like this job," Justin answered. "By the way, I never really got the chance to thank you properly for helping me to get the job in the first place. Between you and me, I'm not so sure the boss was going to hire me until you vouched for me."

"You don't have to call her the boss, you know. Everyone just calls her Debbie or Miss Debbie. Sometimes we even call her Mother Debbie but she'll bop you on the head for that one," Brian laughed. "I didn't do anything but give her my honest opinion. I think you'll make a good addition to our crew. So tell me, Justin, what do you think of your new roomies?" Brian was eager to hear Justin's answer. It might confirm what he was hoping for. "Debbie likes to pride herself on how well she pairs people up. She's very conscious of who she rooms with whom. Did she do a good job this time around too?"

Justin wasn't sure what Brian was asking, but he gave an honest answer.

"Yeah, she did fine. I like the guys. They're really cool. They were nothing but nice to me. I especially like the one named Emmett. He's kind of out there but I like creative minds. Maybe it's the artist in me." Justin paused for a second, measuring his next thought before speaking, then he plunged ahead. "Only thing is that I feel kind of like a fifth wheel with them. But I guess it's okay since they don't seem to mind."

Brian laughed. He liked what he heard. It was obvious that Justin had no problem with gays. It emboldened him.

"Yeah well, you'll find that our little company is very gay-friendly. Debbie would not have it any other way. She seems to attract the gays to her like bears to honey. I feel right at home with her and the rest of the company and so do a bunch of other guys like me," Brian added, deliberately revealing himself to Justin and putting the ball in his court.

Without thinking, Justin responded, "You're gay too?"

Brian laughed even louder. "Don't look so shocked, kid. You do know that not all gay men look like the sterotype the straight world seems to see us as, don't you?"

"Of course I know that," Justin bristled. Then he decided...what the hell, everyone else is upfront around here. "I don't think I fit the sterotype image either," he declared.

Brian leaned back and looked Justin over from top to bottom. 

"No indeed," he surmised. "As a matter of fact, you are one very masculine...though may I say, beautiful....young man indeed."

Justin blushed a deep pink. He almost choked on the sip of coffee he was about to take. Brian grinned at him.

"Look kiddo, I've got some last minute things to do before we hit the road but I'd love to finish this conversation. Would you like to join me on the road? I have my own car...an old Jeep left over from WWII but in tip top condition. You'll discover I take very good care of my things. Anyway, one of the crew drives the truck pulling my trailer and I usually like to drive alone so I can have some quality time to myself, but I think I'd enjoy making an exception this time around. So what do you say?"

Justin went blank for a few seconds from the unexpected invitation, but quickly found his tongue.

"That, ahh...that sounds fine."

That was how the first full day with the circus began. It only got better from there. Justin was about to experience more adventures during the next month than he had had in all twenty one years of his life up to then. It was only the beginning of a life change that would affect him profoundly and change the course of his life in ways he had never dared to dream of and could only have prayed for as a kid longing for something he couldn't put a name to. Those changes would affect others too, in ways they couldn't have expected as the caravan pulled away from the city.

To be continued.......................