- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Brian's friend, Prince Ahmad, has invited Brian to experince something totally new.  He gets a lot more than he bargained for when he finds himself standing in front of a podium where a clandestine slave auction is being held.   His desire to leave as quickly as possible is changed when he spots the beautiful young blond standing out like a sore thumb on the stage, waiting to be purchased.    

Chapter Three: A Sale In the Marketplace


The atmosphere at the marketplace that Ahmad had taken Brian to was oddly different than anything he had experienced before. The first thing Brian noticed was that there was not a single woman to be found anywhere. Another thing was how isolated this marketplace was. Most such gatherings were held in the center of towns and were filled with eager shoppers of all kinds. This time there were plenty of the usual stalls set up, but shoppers were all men and much more subdued than normally found in a marketplace. There was very little of the usual haggling over prices that one would commonly see or hear. People were attending booths and making purchases of clothing, food, and items such as hashish quickly and then standing around in groups. It was as if they were waiting for something more momentous to happen.


Brian stood in a group he was familiar with. It was a circle of friends that Ahmad had introduced Brian to some time ago. For the most part the men came from wealthy Egyptian families, although there were a couple of foreigners like Brian. There was even one man who was an odd mix of several nationalities that seemed predominately Oriental. All the men had one thing in common...a predilection towards relationships on the side with their own sex. All but a few were married, some many times over, and with many children. Brian enjoyed their company for business reasons primarily, although he certainly enjoyed some of the perks that knowing these men offered him. Knowing them had certainly introduced Brian to many new experiences he might not have known otherwise. He was curious as to what the newest experience would be that Ahmad had promised him.


Finally, the chatter among the various groups had quieted down completely and Ahmad grabbed hold of Brian's arm to lead him in the direction of a large platform that was set up at the end of the sandy stretch between booths. Brian noticed that all the other groups of men were moving in the same direction. There was a large open area next to the platform. Suddenly a large man with a face only a mother could love stepped out onto the platform. He began speaking in his native tongue. Brian, who had studied the Arabic language most often used in modern day Egypt, was able to understand immediately that there was about to be an auction. He could see a corral nearby that was filled with magnificent examples of fine Arabian horses and dozens of well cared for camels, including a beautiful white camel.


Brian was disappointed. He had certainly ridden both horses and camels, but it was not among his favorite pastimes. He had made and lost quite a bit of money over the years on races, but he never had an urge to own one of the animals. He had thought that Ahmad would know that this kind of auction would mean little to him. He was beginning to regret not having brought his own vehicle. It was as he was trying to figure out a way to leave without offending his friend that everything changed.


Ahmad was pulling on Brian's arm and pointing towards the platform to get Brian's attention away from the display of animals in the corral. Brian turned back to see what had his friend so excited. It was then that Brian could see what was really the main attraction of the clandestine auction. The platform was suddenly filled with nearly a dozen young men who looked to be between their mid teens to early twenties. Each one was shackled by the wrists and ankles and every single one looked apprehensive or just plain terrified. All the dark skinned young men that Brian could see were pleasant to look at. Brian turned to Ahmad with a questioning look.


"These are the latest slaves up for sale," Ahmad informed Brian. "I thought perhaps you might find someone to keep you company and tend to your every need."


Brian was stunned. He had never even considered this possibility when thinking about tonights attractions. Was Ahmad actually suggesting that he own somebody and force them to service him at his every whim? Did his friend actually think he would get any pleasure out of doing that? It took a moment for Brian to find his voice. He had to tread carefully. Ahmad was a friend, but even more so, a great business link. Brian didn't want to offend him outright.


"Forgive me Ahmad, but you do know that I wouldn't be comfortable owning another human being, don't you? And besides which, I know it was very common in your country at one time but isn't it totally illegal now?"


"Well yes, it is illegal, but it is still practiced behind closed doors my friend. We are actually doing these young men a favor. They come from very poor families and most of them were sold by their own families so that they could have a better life than the poverty they were living in. Some actually offer themselves up as indentured servants so that they can have a good home to live in and plenty of food. They would probably appreciate being sold to such a fine looking gentleman as yourself. And, of course, you can always free them at any time you choose." Ahmad winked at Brian. "Although I doubt any of them would want to be freed once they have known you."


Ahmad could see how hesitant and uncomfortable Brian seemed to be. This was not the reaction he expected.


"Brian, if you choose not to you certainly do not have to participate. I already have two fine young men that live at my country home, so I am not in the market for any others at this time. If you would like we can leave at any time."


Brian felt relief wash over him. He was simply not comfortable at all in this situation. Somehow the word slavery didn't set well with him. He turned to Ahmad, fully intending to ask that they go ahead and leave. It was at that very moment that a very tall young man on the platform moved to the side, revealing the much shorter young man behind him. Brian was struck instantly by the glaring differences between the smaller man and the others on the stage. First and foremost, the young man in back was obviously not a native Egyptian. He was far more fair skinned than Brian, with a head full of silken blond hair. He had the bluest eyes set in a particularly pleasant face. There was unmistakable fear in the lad's eyes, but something more. There was an intelligence that was only slightly hidden by the fear. There was also something else that seemed to speak to Brian. He couldn't put his finger on it, but he knew without question that this kid had not been sold into slavery and most definitely didn't belong on the auction block. He had gotten Ahmad's attention when he first turned to him. He looked at his friend again.

"What is that kid doing up there," he asked, pointing right at the blond.

"What do you mean," Ahmad asked.

"I mean that one only has to look at the kid and you can see he is a foreigner...probably European...and doesn't belong on the auction block. We need to get him released."

"Stop, my friend. Don't be foolish. I don't know how he ended up there, but if you interfere I can promise you it will go badly for you. These men are slave traders and they don't take kindly to any one getting involved in their business unless as a customer. Trust me Brian, they would not hesitate to do you harm if you try to take away their livelihood. If you are concerned about the young man, why don't you bid on him. Once he is turned over to you, then you can do as you will with him including releasing him."

The idea of buying the frightened young man sent shivers of disgust through Brian, but the idea of someone else buying and doing him harm seemed far more disturbing. With that thought in mind, Brian decided to stay and see what would happen next. He didn't have long to wait. Minutes later, the sale began. Each young man was brought forward and displayed in the same way as the horses and camels. The auctioneer, with help from his assistant, would point out the many fine qualities of his offers and accepted a few questions from the bidders before beginning to take the bids. Each young man sold for several hundred Gineihs.

Brian was getting restless. It soon became obvious that the auctioneer was saving his unusual specimen for the final bidding. By the time the blond was put up on the block, Brian had grown increasingly antsy. He had not liked the way the buyers had gathered their purchases close to them and walked off. There had been something creepy about the possessive way the much older men had led the younger men away with them. It gave Brian a slightly sick feeling in the pit of his stomach. Just as he had thought he could take no more of the scene, he saw that the blond youth was the only one still standing on the platform next to the auctioneer.

Justin came forward reluctantly at the prompting of the whip handle in his back from the assistant. He stood before the gathering of dark faced men and felt the nausea rise in him again. He had learned from Said that he was being put up for sale as a slave and that it would be very foolish of him to fight it openly. Justin was sensible, if nothing else, and he sensed that now was not the time to make any foolish moves. But he would be damned if he would stay a slave. He had no idea where he could run or to who, but he did know that he would not do someone else's bidding without a fight. But he had decided to take the road of precaution for now. He would pick his battles carefully. He had kept his head down through most of the process of the sales. He sensed it was the wisest move on his part. He had only looked up a couple of times. Suddenly he heard the auctioneer begin to speak as before and point a finger in his direction. He couldn't resist looking up.

It was then that Justin spotted the man who was a head taller than most and dressed in English clothing that fitted him to perfection. The man was a hundred times more attractive than any of the others and much younger than most of the faces. He was also clearly not Egyptian. Justin's heart skipped a beat. Maybe this man could be his salvation. He would surely not let a fellow foreigner fall into the wrong hands.

Justin's heart sank when he realized the English looking man was one of the ones placing bids on him. There was at least a half dozen who kept raising their hands indicating an increased bid. Justin caught himself praying that the Englishman would win the bid, even though he had no desire to be bought. The bids went back and forth repeatedly. One by one the other bidders shook their heads and ceased their bids. Justin could tell the sale had brought out large numbers from the excited tone of the auctioneer. Finally, the tension was ended as the Englishman paused for one second and then stated his final bid. The auctioneer stopped instantly with his mouth dropped open. He recovered himself quickly and pointed at the tall brunet. He shouted something and the audience began to clap.

Brian couldn't believe what he had done. He had just bid a small fortune on one slender blond youth that he had no idea what he was going to do with. Five thousand Gineihs was more money than most people made in a year in this country. Well, the deed was done. Brian was certainly glad that he had the wealth to back up his purchase. The question was, what was he going to do next.

Brian moved over to the podium with Prince Ahmad beside him. The accountant for the sale had a small table set up at the bottom of the steps. He engaged in a lively discussion with Brian and Ahmad since Brian certainly never carried around that kind of cash on his person. The accountant finally accepted Ahmad's assurances that Brian was good for the sum and filled out a sheath of papers. Brian signed where he was instructed and motioned for the young blond to join him. Justin stood still as the assistant unlocked his leg and hand shackles and pointed him to the stairs. Justin stepped carefully down until he could feel the solid ground beneath him. He kept his head lowered. He had no desire to come face to face with the man who had bought him, even if he was glad it was him and not some other man. When the man began speaking, Justin felt a rush of relief. He recognized the voice as being American and could understand everything the stranger said to him.

"My name is Brian Kinney. Do you understand English?"

"Yes I do," Justin answered with obvious relief.

"So what is your name?"

"Justin," he answered hesitantly.

Brian heard the question mark in the kid's voice. "Well, is it Justin?" he asked.

"Yes, or at least I think so. I'm not sure. I can't really remember. I can't really remember much of anything. I don't know who I am, where I'm from, who I belong to. I don't even know how I got to this place."

Justin's voice had begun to rise in panic as he related what little he knew. Brian held the young man's shoulders to try and calm him. All the stress of the past few days began to fall in on Justin and his whole body began to shake violently. Brian instinctively wrapped his arms around the slender body, waiting while the boy shook from head to toe. He was surprised that the young man never made a sound. There were no tears. Brian was impressed.

Once Justin had calmed sufficiently, Brian brought him over to where his friend, Ahmad, had been patiently standing. He had been surprised at the almost tender way Brian had gathered the young man to him. In all the years he'd known Brian, he had never seen him quite so solicitous to anyone. Once Brian reached his friend's side, he suggested they get going. It looked like the young man needed a good bath and night's sleep. Ahmad agreed and Brian led Justin alongside him back to where the car was parked.

Justin was as quiet as a mouse in the back seat all the way to Brian's home. Ahmad let his friend out in front of his house and bid him good night. He drove off and could see the young man standing as close to Brian as he possibly could. Ahmad smiled to himself. Perhaps, he thought, his attempt to provide Brian with some steady companionship for his lonely nights would prove to be even more successful than he hoped. But the rest was up to Brian. He had certainly made a wise purchase. Ahmad had even considered buying the beautiful youth for himself. Ah well, he thought, there would always be others for later. It felt good to do a favor for a true friend.

To be continued.........