- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

It finally happens. Justin's past has finally caught up to him and the reunion that he had told himself he didn't care about for so long has happened.    

Jennifer wasn't really sure why she was feeling so edgy. Everything about her honeymoon with Mark had been a dream come true so far and there was no reason to believe that would change. She already realized that she had lucked out more than anyone she had ever known before on the day she began chatting with the handsome stranger at the Museum. Mark was everything that Craig had not been. He always put her first. Everything they did on their honeymoon was geared towards pleasing her. The man simply did not have a selfish or self-centered bone in his body. Even their visit to Cairo was for her benefit. He knew the city had special meaning for her...even though painful, they were important to her. She had explained to him early on that she felt still connected to her missing son whenever she was in the city. 

The honeymooners had already visited many European capitals, but Cairo would be their last stop. Jennifer was most eager to meet the artist who had painted her portrait with nothing more than a photograph to guide him. The painting had haunted her from the moment she saw it over the mantelpiece in her new home. It had taken her a while to figure out why she was so drawn to it. It was actually the act of moving her possessions into the new home that jarred her memory. She had been unpacking some boxes from a room in her old house that contained the childhood memories of her son and daughter. One of the boxes was filled with old sketchpads that Justin had been using since he first picked up a crayon as a very young child. As he grew older his sketches had improved, naturally, but even the most recent ones that he had drawn in his teens were still a little unfocused. As she glanced over her son's youthful works of art, she saw that there were similarities in the style of the artist who had painted her portrait.

Even though Mark had informed Jennifer that the artist held the same first name as her son, he also let her know that the young man was the nephew of one of his business associates. The man's name was Brian Kinney and Jennifer was well aware that there were no Kinney's in their family tree. The artist, therefore, could not be her son. Mr. Kinney obviously knew his own nephew. The fluttering in her heart lessened as she reasoned with herself and threw out the brief ray of hope her observations had brought her. Despite the rationale of her thinking, she still looked forward to meeting the artist. Now the time had finally arrived and she sat in the parlor of Mr. Kinney with Mark beside her while waiting for the young man to arrive.

************************************************

Brian was feeling slightly embarrassed. Justin was always punctual when it came to business. It was hard to get him awake in the morning, but otherwise he never kept someone waiting on him. He was well aware that Mr. and Mrs. Chambers were expecting to visit with him. Mr. Chambers had even hinted at another commission piece for his step-daughter's upcoming birthday. He had mentioned in a cable that the girl was wildly in love with his stable of horses and thought that a painting of the fine Arabian steeds that Egypt boasted would make a wonderful gift for the girl's room. He had already paid a very healthy sum for his wife's painting and Brian wanted to see Justin earn an ample income that he could put away for his own use in the future. In this way, Justin would have security in case something happened to Brian. Making the Chambers wait was not a good business move.

Just as Brian was reaching the point of exasperation, he heard the heavy front door open loudly. He quickly excused himself and hurried to the front entry. Justin stood at the door with a sheepish look on his dusty face. There was dirt and dust all over his clothing too. Brian rushed over to him and began checking for broken bones. 

"What the hell happened, Sunshine? You look like you were caught in a dust storm. Are you alright?"

"It's nothing Brian....really. Relax. I'm okay. We just had a little problem with the car. It broke down half way here from the city. Apparently something caused a hole in the radiator and the car started steaming. The driver was blinded by the steam when he bent over to loosen the cap. I had to trudge a couple of miles down the road to finally find someone who would help us. They took the driver to the hospital and then gave me a ride here. They'll pick up the car and get it repaired. Thank heavens you hired a car and driver and it wasn't your car that was damaged."

"You idiot! I don't care about the damned car. I'm just glad you're alright." 

Brian had finished his exam of his lover and was now able to relax. He kicked himself for being irritated with Justin in the first place. He should have known the lad would have a good reason for being so late. He leaned in and placed a relieved kiss softly on Justin's lips. Just then, he remembered why he had been waiting so anxiously for Justin.

"Shit," he muttered. "I almost forgot. The Chambers are here and have been waiting for you."

"Oh damn, Brian! I can't greet them like this. Will you please make my excuses and I'll freshen up quickly. Hopefully they won't mind waiting just a tiny bit longer."

"Don't worry. Mrs. Chambers seems to be a delightful lady. I'll use my Kinney charm on her. I'm sure they'll wait. Now scoot. Make yourself presentable." 

Brian turned Justin around and aimed him for the garden door. He swatted that lovely rear he enjoyed so much and watched Justin hurry off. Brian took a deep breath and went to rejoin his guests. Both sets of eyes locked on him as he re-entered the parlor.

"Is everything alright, Mr. Kinney?" asked Jennifer.

"Yes, oh yes. We just had a slight problem with our car service. It seems the vehicle broke down on the way home and that is what caused the delay. You know how these newfangled things can be. I'm sure they'll get stronger and safer to drive in the coming years, but right now they can be a bother. I am so sorry for the long delay but my nephew became a bit disheveled thanks to the problem and he wanted to make himself a little more presentable. I do hope you will be just a little more patient and let him freshen up first before joining us." Brian offered his most winning smile.

"Of course we don't mind waiting, do we my dear?" Mark asked his wife.

"Of course not. We've come a long way to meet your young artist. A little wait will not deter us."

Brian was grateful for the understanding of the couple. He called for Ahmose to offer them some more of the excellent tea that his cook had prepared, along with bits of honeyed cakes. The threesome spent another fifteen minutes enjoying their conversation until they could hear the sound of the young man's shoes tapping on the tiled flooring in the hall leading to the parlor. All three of them stood up. Justin walked into the parlor, looking clean and as handsome as ever.

Justin's eyes met Brian's. He smiled and then turned to the guests. The cup of tea that Jennifer was holding as she rose from her stuffed chair could be heard loudly as it hit the floor and shattered into tiny pieces. All the color seemed to drain in an instant from her face and she let out the tiniest whimper as her body began to sway. As if in slow motion, she began to slide to the floor. Her husband rushed to her side, barely hearing the young man when he screamed...'Mama'! As Mark grabbed for his fainting wife, he felt another's hands also reaching out to hold her. He looked into the young man's face and the two men held onto Jennifer as they half carried, half walked her to the long divan in the room. 

Once Jennifer was laid out safely on the divan, the three men were suddenly free to realize what had just happened. Mark got down on his knee and caressed his wife's cold hand, trying to bring her back to her senses. She was out like a candle in a breeze. Justin looked over at Brian, both confusion and knowledge written all over his face. Tears were forming and he began shaking like an old man with palsy. Brian was thunderstruck, but he didn't have time to sort anything out. All he knew was that Justin was in pain. He rushed to his lovers side and wrapped his arms around the slender form that couldn't seem to stop its quaking. He whispered, 'shhhhh', over and over into Justin's ear. Justin stumbled and Brian kept him from falling, holding him tightly to his body. He prayed his warmth would ease the chill he felt in Justin. 

Brian led Justin carefully over to the divan that stood across from where Jennifer lay, still unconscious. As he helped Justin to settle against the back of the divan, Brian could hear soft moaning coming from his guest. It was a good sign that she was slowly reviving. Without warning, it clearly dawned in Brian's mind what Justin had shouted out as Mark's wife fainted. Could he have heard Justin correctly? Did he really call out 'Mama'? The questions began to collide in Brian's brain. He would have gone mad asking the questions to himself if he hadn't heard a strangled sob from Justin.

"I...I...remember her...Brian...oh God...I know her."

Before Brian could respond, Justin suddenly jerked forward and stared at the figure of the lady across from him. She was regaining her senses ever so slowly while her husband hovered over her with distress etched in his furrowed brow. Justin turned to stare at Brian. Brian could clearly see the tears tracking down Justin's cheeks. Justin grabbed Brian by the shoulders and almost shook him as he fervently spoke again.

"Do you hear me? I know her! She's my Mother, Brian! I know she is!"

Justin again tore his eyes from Brian and looked at Jennifer. He turned back to Brian.

"I've got to talk to her! She has all the answers to who I am! Help me!"

Brian saw the fear and hope fighting for the upper hand in Justin's pale blue eyes. He wanted more than anything to spare Justin the pain he was feeling, but he sensed that his young lover also needed the answers that he had been professing he didn't care about anymore. Brian could now see that Justin had always longed for some answers to his past in the deepest part of him. It now looked like those answers were going to come. Brian settled Justin back along the cushion and instructed him.

"Wait here," he ordered.

Justin did as he was told. He was still in a state of shock and memories kept bouncing around in his head, making him dizzy and unable to focus. Brian's calm voice helped a little, and he was content to let Brian take charge. Once Brian could see that Justin was calmer, he turned his attention to the couple across the room. He hurried over to their side.

"Mark, how is your wife?" 

He could see for himself that she was steadily regaining her senses. Mark had helped her to sit up against the end cushions. Brian went to the stand where fine bottles of liquor and glasses were set up. He quickly poured a finger of brandy into a snifter and brought it over to his guests. Mark gratefully accepted the drink and gently helped his wife sip some of the strong liquid. She coughed a few times and then seemed to settle. Suddenly she began sobbing. Mark immediately wrapped his strong arms around her. She buried her head in his shoulder. Both men waited for the sobs to slowly subside. It took some time, but Jennifer was finally down to a few hiccuping sniffles. Justin remained quiet on his side of the room, taking in all the activity that was happening. He was torn. A part of him wanted to run to his Mom and comfort her, but a big part of him was afraid to even come close to her. 

Justin was beginning to remember his life bit by bit with his beloved mother, but he still could not think of why he became separated from her or how or when. He waited for her to become calm enough to speak to him. He had so many questions to ask. They crowded his brain, along with the memories that just kept coming like a torrential rain. His head throbbed with the effort of thinking and wondering. At this very moment he wished he was anywhere but here. He wished he was lying peacefully in his bed with Brian snoring quietly next to him. He wished he was in a tent in the desert with Brian lying between his legs making love to him. He wished....but the damned images of Brian loving him and his mother loving him became jumbled up together. His brain hurt even more. Suddenly, Justin knew he couldn't take it anymore. He jumped to his feet.

"Brian," he almost shouted. "I have to do something. I'll be back."

Before Brian could answer, Justin had turned on his heel and headed for the hallway leading to their garden. Brian's first instinct was to follow Justin, but something told him to wait. Somehow he knew that Justin needed to be alone for a little bit. He had to take care of his guests first. There were so many questions that needed to be asked and answers that needed to be given...on both sides. The night was still young. Time enough, once every one had found their footing again. As Brian watched Mark working to bring his wife back to her normal state, Brian momentarily wondered how Justin's discovery of his missing family...if they truly were that...would affect his life with the beautiful artist that he had come to love more than his own life. But that too would have to wait for answers.

To be continued.....................