- Text Size +
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

 

"Hunter, where are you?"

"Pittsburgh."

"What the fuck are you doing in Pittsburgh? I thought you guys were doing Christmas here?"

"So did I, Nick. Then a few hours ago John and Bobby called to tell us to pack an overnight bag and that we're all going to the Pitts. Now here I am in Debbie's living room. Something's wrong and Claire doesn't have a clue. So I guess we have to wait."

"I was hoping we'd spend the holiday together."

"Me too. I miss you."

"Miss you too but I don't go back to Penn for four weeks and you're off too, so we'll have lots of time to get reacquainted."

"Yeah, I'm kinda looking forward to the get reacquainted part."

"Me too. Call me later when you know what's going on. I don't care how late it is. I've grown fond of your family."

"Okay, I will. Do me a favor and keep your fingers crossed. I have a funny feeling that whatever's going on is not good."

"Crossing fingers and toes. Call me."

"Will do."

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

"The baby, the baby. We lost the baby." The tears streamed from John's eyes as he told his lover the horrible news. John sunk into Bobby's arms and somehow they managed to keep standing. Moments later Gina's doctor had them both in her office and was explaining what happened.

"An infection. Normally, Gina's body would have been able to fight it off. But her kids were sick and like any other mother she was busy taking care of them and not herself. Her immune system was working overtime. In a few months we can try again."

"No," John said in despair.

"What?" both Bobby and the doctor said in unison.

"Doctor, can John and I have a few minutes?"

"Of course, I'm going to have a word with Gina. Take your time." As the doctor shut the door, Bobby turned to John.

"John, what's going on? I thought we wanted to have a baby. You heard the doctor. When Gina recovers we can try again."

"No. No more. I can't do this again. Maybe we'll go back to the adoption agency, try for an older child. Mrs. Jefferson said we have a good chance to be approved for an older child."

"But John..." Bobby pleaded.

"I said, NO!" With that John got up and stormed out of the office and out of the hospital. Bobby found the doctor and Gina. She was tired, a little sore and very sad. Gina apologized over and over to Bobby. Bobby and the doctor reassured Gina that none of this was her fault and Bobby was grateful that she would make a full recovery. Gina insisted that she was willing to try again when the doctor gave her the okay. Bobby told her that they would stay in touch and that he would shoulder the medical costs for her treatments and medications. When Bobby left the room, Gina knew she would never see the Anderson-Morrison men again.

Bobby found John sitting in the Navigator, crying. He took the keys then slid into the driver's side. In silence, John and Bobby drove to Debbie's house.

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

"Beautiful!"

"I have to admit, Brian, this is one hell of a bed," Ben agreed. The brass bed was beautiful, especially with the new sheets and duvet.

"You think he'll like it?" Brian asked. He needed some reassurance from his muscular friend. Brian's signature platform bed was now under wraps in storage.

"If he doesn't, I'll buy it from you."

"Think you can afford it?"

"I have no idea but I'll tutor on the side if I can't. Man, it's three-thirty, I have to go. Michael's waiting for me at Deb's."

"Thanks again, professor. Maybe I'll see you later," Brian said with a leer on his face that told Ben that no one would see hide or hair of Brian and Justin before New Year's.

"Right. I'm going to wash up and go."

"Take your time." As Ben went into the bathroom, Brian took one more look at his new bed then walked down the steps just in time to see the back of Justin's head walking out of the loft.

"Justin? JUSTIN!" Brian ran out of the loft before Justin had time to get to the stairs.

"Justin!" Brian swept the shell-shocked boy into his arms.

"Put me down!" Justin spat out. Justin was so angry thinking the worst that he couldn't see straight.

"Justin, you're home early. Why didn't you say anything? Why are you leaving?"

"And why are you fucking around?"

"Fucking? Who? I haven't fucked anyone but you and that was a week ago in New York. What the fuck are you talking about?"

"I heard you."

"You heard what?"

"I heard..."

"Hey, Justin! Welcome home! Did you just get here?" Ben was putting on his coat and coming out of the loft when he saw Brian and Justin having their discussion.

"Hi, Ben. BEN?!" Justin looked at Ben and then at Brian.

"I think that's my cue to leave. Merry Christmas and good luck, Brian." Ben sidestepped around the two men still standing in the hall and made a hasty retreat down the stairs.

"Justin, can we take this inside? I have something to show you."

Justin hesitated but allowed Brian to guide him into the loft. Brian slid the door shut, locked it and set the alarm all along praying that Justin hadn't assumed the worst but knowing he had. The emotional roller coaster of being apart for so long and the exhaustion of his trip hit Justin all at once. He began to slump, Brian caught him and led him to the sofa.

Slowly, Brian pried Justin's bags out of his grip and the young man out of his coat. Gradually, Brian snaked his arms around Justin and felt Justin begin to shake.

"It's okay, Sunshine," Brian whispered into Justin's ear. "I wouldn't trust me either."

Justin began to cry. "Brian..." Justin whispered meekly into Brian's chest.

"Shh. It's okay. Come with me. You need to lie down and this is as good a time as any to show you your present." Brian made Justin stand up and led him to their bedroom. Finally up the steps, Justin saw the object of all the grunting and groaning.

"Your bed?! What happened to your bed?"

"I retired it. This is OUR bed."

"Our bed? I thought..." Justin couldn't finish what he was about to say and began to silently curse himself for not trusting his lover.

"I know. Come on. Let's try this puppy out." Brian got Justin to sit on the edge of the bed. He removed Justin's sneakers then swung his legs onto the bed. Justin's tears flowed in earnest as the realization of what had happened began to sink in. Brian lay down next to Justin and held on as Justin had his cry then fell into an exhausted sleep wrapped in Brian's arms.

When Justin woke up several hours later he found himself still wrapped in Brian's arms. Worried hazel eyes looked into his.

"Feeling better?" Brian asked brushing hair off Justin's forehead and checking to feel any signs of fever.

"My mother used to do that."

"Do what?"

"Shove my hair aside so she could really feel my brow."

Brian grimaced. He had been caught in the act. "I guess that means we both love you."

Justin felt the tears well up once again. "I'm so sorry."

"Sh, it's all right. My reputation precedes me."

"But I should have had faith in you."

"How can you know what's going on when you're several hundred miles away."

"I intend to remedy that situation."

"How?" Brian asked feeling his heart leap in his chest.

"I'm home to stay."

"You mean it?" Brian asked with the hope evident in his eyes.

Justin nodded. "I told Sidney a couple of weeks ago that I'm not going to live in New York any longer."

"You did? Why didn't you tell me?"

"It's one of your Christmas presents."

"Not bad, Taylor, not bad at all," Brian smirked.

"I can make a grand gesture too," Justin smiled.

"One worthy of … me!" Brian teased.

"I learned from the master."

Brian snorted. Most of the time nobody knew about his grand gestures, and that suited him just fine. Justin always seemed to know though, and sometimes the gesture was for Justin. Brian picked up Justin's hand and looked at the bracelet that graced his lover's wrist. It was his grand gesture to Justin at John and Bobby's wedding. He pulled Justin's hand to his lips and kissed it slowly. A little moan escaped Justin's lips.

"You feeling well enough to really christen this bed?"

"I could be persuaded."

"I missed you a lot."

"Me too. How long is it since we've been together?" Justin joked.

"A week."

"Seems like months, years even."

"I know." Brian pulled Justin closer and their lips locked in a long, sensuous kiss leaving them both hard.

Suddenly the phone rang and both Brian and Justin groaned.

"You going to get it?" Justin asked.

"It might be something important if they're calling on Christmas Eve." Brian grabbed the phone and spoke, "What?"

"Brian, it's John."

"John? Is something wrong?"

"Everything's wrong."

Brian could hear the pain in his brother's voice. "Tell me."

"Bobby and…"

"Did something happen to Bobby?"

"No, no, it's nothing like that."

"You sound devastated."

"I am."

"Claire?"

"No, mother's fine."

"Then tell me what the fuck is going on?"

Justin looked at Brian worry written all over his face. He could only hear Brian's side of the conversation, but he didn't like the sound of it at all. "What's wrong?" he mouthed to Brian. Brian shrugged his shoulders.

"Can you cancel Christmas dinner at the farm?"

"Of course, but why?"

"I … I can't talk about it just yet. Cancel the dinner for me."

"I will, but, John, what the hell has happened."

"In a few days when I can talk about it, I'll call you."

"Okay, if that's what you want.

"It's what I want."

"Call me … soon."

"I will."

The line went dead.

"What was that all about?" Justin asked noting the worried look on Brian's face.

"Something bad has happened with John and Bobby." Brian had a sinking feeling that he might know what it was based on the call he had had from John many weeks ago.

"What? Are they sick?"

"I don't think it's anything like that, but he couldn't talk about it. We need to call everybody and tell them Christmas dinner's off at the farm."

"Okay, I'll get on my cell and you can use that phone."

"That's a good idea."

"Call Deb first and see what she says."

Brian nodded and hit Debbie's number.

"Deb, it's Brian."

"Did you just talk to John?"

"Yeah."

"Claire and Hunter were here when John and Bobby came to pick them up. They looked like shit, but they didn't want to talk about it. I thought Claire and Hunter were going to stay overnight, but they all packed into their SUV and headed back to the farm. Do you know what's going on?"

"John just said that he wanted me to call everyone and cancel Christmas dinner at the farm."

"I thought that's what they would do. I don't think either of them could face anyone. They barely said two words before they left."

"He didn't tell me much either."

"When you find out let me fucking know. I love those assholes too."

"I will, Deb."

"Oh, and tell anybody who wants a Christmas dinner to come over here tomorrow afternoon. I'll scrape something together."

"Thanks, Deb. I'll let everyone know."

"Better get started on those calls," Brian said to Justin. He wasn't looking forward to ruining everyone's Christmas.