- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

"Brian?"

"Dammit Justin, you have two seconds to tell me what you want. I'm in the middle of a big negotiation here."

"Cut it out, Bri. You know you'll be brilliant and you'll wow them with your ad. I have something important to ask you."

Justin was shouldering the brunt of the house decorating detail; the least that Brian could do was to listen to his latest suggestion.

"Ask, but make it quick."

"How do you feel about mushroom?"

"In a salad?"

"No, silly!" Justin laughed. "As the main color for the walls. I like the white but it's too bright when the sun hits the living room. I want to tone it down just a little but if it's too dark, the rooms will look oppressive."

Brian sighed loudly. He was on the verge of closing another multimillion dollar deal for Kinnetik. He needed it considering how much the cottage and all its renovations had cost him and were still costing him.

"Justin, my wonderfully annoying partner and soon to be equally annoying spouse, mushroom is fine. For our walls and my salad. Now do I have your permission to go back to work and earn some money to pay for our mushroom walls?"

"Yes, my beautiful asshole. You have my permission," Justin giggled. He knew he was getting on Brian's last nerve with all his almost hourly phone calls to Kinnetik.

"Thank you. And Justin, when we meet up at the loft later, make sure your beautiful asshole is well lubed and ready for me. Very well lubed."

Brian hung up the phone and went back to work.

Justin sat on their new sofa that had arrived earlier in the morning at the cottage. They had both agreed upon neutral colors for the cottage. Rich creams, beige and brown, not the stark white like the loft. Soothing to the eye after a hard day at work or at the easel. The Kinney painting was already in its place of honor above the fireplace mantel. The painting held the splashes of color to prevent the room from being too boring. And it was protected from any direct sunlight to prevent fading. The drapes Justin had chosen were in an abstract floral pattern that almost blended in with the countryside. The blues in the drapes mimicked the sky, the rose color the same as the roses that were about to bloom in the garden and surrounding the front door, the greens were of the leaves. They made the perfect frame for the large window.

Justin leaned back to admire the walls that he had painted mushroom two days prior. Between his work on the cottage and his work for Sidney, Justin had forgotten to tell Brian about his color choice. He had some doubts that Brian would even notice the color but then again, Brian had a tendency to notice a lot when no one thought he did. And Brian had a keen eye for color. So Justin had thought it would be best for all involved that he call Brian as soon as possible.

Their bedroom was almost completed, awaiting only the California King four posted bed they ordered, made from deep brown oak. Another bed guaranteed to hold up to their brand of lovemaking. Gus' room had a bunk bed just in case JR came to visit or Gus had a friend sleep over. It was large enough to grow with the boy. Brian and Justin left the walls white so that Gus could decorate them any way he wished.

The third bedroom would also be Brian's home office. Instead of a bed, a futon sofa was set up and there was a new desk for Brian and his computer. Again Justin painted the walls mushroom but put up plain, no frills drapes for Brian. The portrait of Patrick and its mirroring portrait of Justin were hung in Brian's room as per his request.

Justin made the kitchen an eclectic combination of modern and aged. John had fixtures installed that were all new but reminiscent of an era gone by. The refrigerator was a matte white, so were the cabinets. The other appliances were Brian's top of the line stainless steel appliances from the loft. At first glance they appeared out of place within the rustic charm of the cottage. But then, they perfectly reflected their owners. Last but not least was the stove. This was John's special gift for his brother and Justin. It was a beautifully restored cobalt blue porcelain enameled stove from the 1950's. Fully functional and with totally modernized interior. This was the focal point of the kitchen. The only other accents were the pale blue curtains on the window over the sink and on the door to the mud room. As with John and Bobby's cottage, there was a granite island with stools and room for a small dining table and chairs.

Justin was as happy as a bottom boy in a room full of bears.

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

"Do you think he'll show?" Hunter asked Claire. It was the Memorial Day weekend and as he promised himself, Hunter was going to Pittsburgh to visit with his family and dance his ass off at Babylon.

"I honestly don't know. Give him more time. This is a 'get away' weekend. I'm sure there's lots of traffic on the road right now. It'll take him at least two hours to show up."

"That's if he shows up at all. I was very..."

"Abrupt?"

"Yeah. The last time we spoke, I laid it on the line. I wasn't planning on leaving until eight. Michael and Ben are expecting me around eleven."

"Are you sure you want to drive that late?"

"I'll be fine."

"Why don't you go pack and lie down for a while. I know you did double duty at the Farm so you can take off this weekend. Go rest, I'll call you down for dinner."

"Thanks Claire." Hunter kissed Claire then went to his room.

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

"Bobby?"

"Rachel? What's wrong?"

"Nothing I hope. But I need you to come with me to the doctor."

"Rachel, I'm almost home. You want me to call John?"

"No. If it's nothing then I don't want to worry him. Besides, didn't you say he was out of town?"

"Yes, but he's on his way home. He can meet us there."

"No, Bobby. Just you, please."

"Okay, I'll be there in thirty minutes."

Rachel and George met Bobby outside. George kissed his wife and watched as she and Bobby drove off to her doctor. He said a silent pray for Rachel and the baby as he went back into the house.

"Dr. Gordon?"

"It's fine, Rachel." Both Rachel and Bobby let out a breath. "This happens sometimes but you were right to call me."

"Can someone explain to me what happened?" Bobby said as he looked back and forth at Rachel and the doctor. He still wasn't quite sure what went wrong.

"Bobby, most babies are very active in the uterus. They roll, they kick, they suck their thumbs. Rachel's girls were very active. I don't think they gave Rachel a moment's peace."

"No, they didn't. I would be sleeping and George would watch my tummy moving. He swore the baby was turning cartwheels. That's why I got scared."

"Because the baby was moving?"

"No, because he's not moving. He's just the opposite of the girls. It frightened me."

"How long was the baby quiet?"

"About five hours."

"Is that a lot?" Bobby asked Dr. Gordon.

"No. More than twenty-four hours, yes. But since Rachel's babies were more active, she was right to call. And I'm always here, for all of you. Now, since you're here and you seem to think this baby is a boy, let's do a quick sonogram to see if we can SEE anything."

As the doctor was moving the device over Rachel's belly she shook her head. "Sorry guys, this little one is very stubborn or very modest. Doesn't want us to know yet. Maybe next time. Keep your regularly scheduled appointment for next week and we'll try again."

"Thank you, doctor," Rachel and Bobby said in unison.

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

"Hi, Ms. Anderson." Nick said as Claire answered the door.

"Good evening, Nicholas."

"Am I in the dog house?"

"Possibly but Beau may have something to say about that. As for Hunter, you better ask him yourself. Nick, I love that boy as if he was my own. He's been through more in his short life than most of us experience in a lifetime. And he has more 'uncles' than you can shake a stick at. Don't lie to him."

"I promise, Ms. Anderson. I won't."

"Then go on up. He's about ready to go."

Nick sprinted up the stairs to Hunter's room. When he reached the door, he knocked.

"Come in."

"Hi."

"Hi."

"Hunter, can we talk?"

"Sure." Hunter held his breath expecting the worst.

"Hunter, I made a big mistake. I got caught up in the party life at Penn. The guys are hot and the beer never seems to end. I screwed up this semester and my grade point average dropped, a lot. That last time you called, it was like a wake up call for me. Even my adviser yelled at me, I mean, not yelled, but you know what I mean. I can't lose you too. Please Hunter, give me another chance. I really need you in my corner. You always seem so focused."

"I wasn't always and I had a lot of people pulling for me. Come here. You look tired."

"I am. I had to turn in a lot of papers to make up for some of the work I missed. I should be studying now but I had to see you."

"Look, I don't have to go to Pittsburgh. Did you bring your books and notes?"

"Yeah, I did. I figured if you threw my ass out I'd go home and study."

"How about we stay here and study. I'll call my Dads and explain. They'll understand."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure. I can use the rest and the time to study. I've been working my tail off at the Farm. Let's ask Claire if it's okay for you to stay here. I think she'll be cool with it."

"Can we lay down for little while? I'm really tired and the traffic was murder."

"Yeah. I can use a cuddle."

"Me too."

The boys snuggled together on Hunter's bed and were soon asleep.

After some time Claire decided to check on them. She hadn't heard any shouting so she thought it would be safe to take a peek at them. She gently knocked on Hunter's door. Getting no answer, Claire quietly looked in.  

"Boys?" Claire quietly called out. Hunter and Nick were lying on the bed, fully clothed and wrapped in each others' arms sound asleep. Carefully she pulled off their sneakers, then taking the afghan that was on Hunter's chair, she draped it over the boys. Then Claire turned off the light and went downstairs to call Ben and Michael.

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

Brian arrived at the cottage late in the afternoon. As he got out of the Corvette he stopped and stared at his new home. He hadn't been there for a few weeks. Justin had been decorating and wanted to keep it a surprise. This was to be the grand unveiling … and then he would have his own unveiling of his blond boy.

As he approached the front door he could see buds on the roses and he smiled. He had never had a garden in his life. Joan had had some shrubs around the house but she never had the time or inclination for flowers. Brian wondered what it would be like to dig in the dirt and actually grow things. Maybe he would try a vegetable garden. With a shake of his head at the idiocy of that idea he raised the door knocker and rapped.

A minute later and the door opened to a smiling blond. "Why did you knock? This is your home too."

"And do you open the door to just any old person who happens to knock?"

"Only this old person," Justin laughed pulling Brian inside.

Brian glowered at him before pulling his lover, his fiancé into a warm kiss. They both felt the explosion in their groins that happened every time they came in contact with each other. Finally Justin pushed Brian away.

"Stop! I want you to see what I've done."

"We can do that later."

"No, now! I'm going to be on pins and needles until you tell me it's okay."

"You've told me everything you've done and I've okayed it," Brian said reasonably as he slid his hand down the front of Justin's jeans. He felt the boy squirm and a little moan escaped his lips. "See, I knew you wanted it."

"I always want it, and you fucking know that."

"So, let me give it to you," Brian whispered in that sultry voice that Justin found impossible to refuse.

"I guess we could look at the bedroom first."

"Excellent idea," Brian smirked.

Justin took Brian's hand and led him down the hall. Brian noted the mushroom colored walls in the hall. It was really quite soothing. As Justin opened the door to the master bedroom he told Brian to close his eyes. Justin led the sightless Brian into the room. Brian felt hands on his hips turning him a certain way.

"Open your eyes," Justin ordered softly.

Brian opened his eyes and was staring at their bed. It was a huge four poster that they had selected together but it looked so different in this room. It had fabric draped over the headboard. The fabric was a rich plum tapestry with a myriad of colors running through it. It matched the bedspread and cushions. It wasn't really a floral, more an abstract, but it gave the impression of flowers and vines and organic things. The bed had been angled into the corner and it made the room look so cozy and inviting, not at all what Brian had expected.

Justin was holding his breath as Brian didn't say anything. "So what do you think?"

"It's nothing like I thought it would look," Brian said slowly.

"Fuck! You hate it, don't you? I knew it was too different from the loft. Shit!"

"I love it."

"What? What did you say?"

"I said I love it. It's warm … and full of love … your love. I've never had a room like this before. I'm not sure I knew they existed."

"Oh, Jesus Brian, do you mean that?" Justin asked tears of relief and joy running down his cheeks.

"Come here," Brian ordered.

He pulled this wonderful creature that he had found into his arms. He had finally claimed him as his own. Their mouths melted together. Brian tugged at Justin's clothes as his lover did the same with his, neither wanting to break the kiss as they did so. Finally naked with their new bedspread thrown back Brian claimed Justin in the way that they had perfected the first night they were together. Justin's legs rested on Brian's shoulders, his toes already curling as Brian entered him. Their eyes locked as they spoke silently in a way that they could never verbalize. This act that they had done so many, many times was a little different in their new home in their new bed in their new life.