- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

Nick and Hunter looked at each other.

"So you're going to go back today?" Hunter said already knowing what the answer to that question was going to be.

Nick had made it home for a large part of the summer. His father needed his help on the farm. But now into August with the crops all planted Nick was going back to his job in the city. He needed to earn some more money for his education.

"I'm going to miss you," Nick said softly.

Hunter swallowed hard and nodded meaning that he would miss Nick too. They had spent as much time together as they could find between work and Nick studying anatomy and immunology, and God knows what else.

"I'll try to be a better boyfriend this time," Nick promised. Again Hunter nodded. "I know I got kinda swept up in things last year, but I'll try to do better." Hunter nodded. "Aren't you going to say anything?"

"My voice doesn't want to work," Hunter managed to get out.

Nick pulled Hunter into a hug. "I meant what I said."

"You meant it last time," Hunter felt compelled to say. "I … want you to know that if you find someone else it's okay."

"Find someone else? What the fuck do you mean?"

"I've had a great time with you and I do love you, but I know what temptation can be like. Just tell me if it's over."

"Hunter, you sound like you know something I don't," Nick said with a frown.

"I'm giving you an easy out."

"I don't want an easy out."

"You know how hard it was being separated last year. It's going to be worse this year, so just do what you have to do." Hunter turned away to hide his tears.

"Hunter, Hunter, look at me." Nick turned his lover around. "It's you that I love. It's you that I want."

"Even the damaged piece of goods that I am."

"You're the bravest and strongest person I know. I'm going to be a good boy and we'll see each other regularly," Nick said in a teasing voice.

"But if something happens, you'll tell me. Right?"

"Nothing's going to happen." Nick grabbed Hunter and gave him a toe curling kiss. "There, that should tide you over for a day or two.

Hunter smiled weakly. "Yeah, drive carefully."

Nick signaled to his mother who would ride up to Penn with him and then bring the car home. They climbed in.

"Bye, Hunter, and call me tonight."

"Sure," Hunter said as the car drove down the lane.

With a sigh he got into his truck. He wasn't sure why but he had a feeling that that might be one of the last times he would see Nick. He hoped not, but he couldn't get rid of the feeling of foreboding. He started his truck and headed for the Farm.

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

"Brian?"

"Hm," Brian replied. His eyes were glued to the computer screen.

"Can I talk to you for a moment?"

"Sure," Brian said saving what he had been working on. "Is something wrong?"

Justin had been painting as was evident from the splatters and swipes on the shirt that he was wearing. Brian was working from the cottage and they had not seen much of each other since breakfast.

"I was thinking," Justin began.

"Always a dangerous thing," Brian smirked.

"Shut up," Justin chuckled.

"So, tell me what you were thinking about." Brian held his palm up waiting for Justin to continue.

"You know how we usually do the Labor Day thing at the Andersons?"

"Yeah, do you want to have it here?"

"God no!"

"Then what?" Brian frowned wondering what Justin was getting at and why he had reacted like that.

"I … I'd like to skip it."

"Skip it?" Justin usually liked parties. "Why?"

"We've seen little of the 'gang' since the bombshell John laid on them at the housewarming." Justin made quotation marks around the word gang. His sarcasm was pretty evident to Brian.

"And you miss them so much," Brian smirked.

"They do say some rotten things about you."

"But my darling brother's revelation was supposed to fix all that."

"Yeah, it sure fixed it."

"Oh? You don't like the awkward silences and sideways glances when they're around me?"

"You know?"

"Of course, I know, Justin. I'm not blind and I see more of them when I'm in Pittsburgh than you do out here."

"But doesn't it bother you."

"I got used to their putdowns. I'll get used to their uncomfortable silences."

"I hate it. I wish they didn't know."

"But they do know, and staying away from them is hardly going to make it better."

"Maybe just for Labor Day?" Justin said hopefully.

"If you don't want to be around them, that's fine with me. Why don't we invite Gus for the long weekend?"

"Do you think Mel and Lindz would go for that?"

"It'll give them some muff diving time together. Of course, they'll go for it."

"Then let's do that. But you know Gus is going to want a treehouse."

"We could drive him over to John's to play in the one there."

"That's not going to cut it. He wants a treehouse here."

"Maybe that weekend we could pick out the tree to build it in," Brian said with a gentle smile.

"I love you, Mr. Kinney."

"I'm such a source of sweetness and light that my friends can't stand me," Brian said with a rueful look.

"They just don't know what to make of this new and improved Brian Kinney."

"Well, they better figure it out soon or they can fuck off."

Justin moved to the desk and slid onto Brian's knee. He kissed Brian gently and felt the passion between them start to build. It always did.

"Take me to bed, Mr. Kinney."

"It's not even noon."

"I don't want to sleep."

With a mighty "humph" Brian slung Justin over his shoulder and carried him the short distance to their bed.

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

"Brian?"

"John, is that you? It's three in the morning," Brian said glancing at the clock. The phone had just woken him. Justin was staring at him with worried eyes. "What's wrong?"

"It's Rachel. We're at emergency. She was having pains. The baby might be coming."

"But it's not due until November, not for almost a month."

"I know, but it might be premature."

"Do you want me to come there?"

"No, not until the doctor tells us what exactly this is. I'm so scared something's wrong."

"Stop worrying. They'll look after her. Are George and Bobby there with you?"

"Yes."

"Then lean on them, and call me as soon as you know anything. I'm sure Rachel and the baby will be fine."

"They have to be," John choked out.

"You'll be fine too. Hang in there."

"I'll try."

Brian hung up the phone.

"Is the baby coming?" Justin asked.

"Rachel's having some pain so they took her to emergency in Harrisburg. They don't know if she's going to have the baby. It's too early."

"Want to go to the hospital?" Brian nodded. "Then let's get dressed."

Brian gave Justin a big hug. "You don't mind. I think John needs me."

They had most of their clothes on when the phone rang again. It was John.

"Brian, it looks like it's false labor. They're going to keep Rachel here for a few hours to be on the safe side, but I think it's a false alarm from what the doctor said."

"That's good," Brian replied. "I told you everything would be fine."

"I hope I can get through this last month. I'm such a wreck."

"Papa John, you will be fine. Stay with Rachel and then take her home and get some sleep of your own."

"Thanks, Brian. Sorry to keep bothering you."

"No problem, and be sure to let us know when it's the real thing. I want to be there for it."

"That's a deal." John hung up.

"So, we're not going, I take it."

Brian shook his head. "False alarm."

"What shall we do now?" Justin asked suggestively. "I don't feel like going back to sleep."

"I could think of something," Brian chuckled pushing Justin back onto their bed and sprawling across him. Justin's dick could think of something too.

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

"John?"

"George, is that you?"

"Yes. This is it. We're on our way to the hospital."

"Okay, we'll meet you there."

!!!!!

"Brian?"

"John? Is it time?"

"Yeah, we're going to the hospital. Can you meet us there?"

"Yeah. We'll both be there."

"Thanks little brother, I need some hand holding."

"Between Justin, Bobby, me and your mom, we have a lot of hands. See you soon."

"Good."

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

At Harrisburg General Hospital, the Anderson-Morrison, Kinney-Taylor family all converged at the maternity waiting suite. Dr. Morrison was an attending at the hospital and he was able to get updated information about Rachel. Since John was the father of the baby, he was allowed in the birthing suite. Out in the waiting area Brian and Bobby paced. Justin and Claire found the cafeteria and purchased several cups of coffee, tea and other snacks and beverages. No one had any idea how long Rachel's labor would go on.

It was approaching eleven PM on Tuesday the 3rd of November. Rachel had just about made it to her due date of the 4th. John ran out of the birthing room long enough to use the men's room, splash some water on his face and then gulp down a cup of coffee. He was wearing scrubs, booties and had a mask dangling from one ear. He gave Bobby a kiss, hugged Brian then ran back to Rachel.

"Who was that masked man?" Brian asked as he laughed at his brother's obvious frenzy and paternal concern for the littlest Anderson that was about to appear.

A little over an hour later and sporting an ear to ear grin, John came out of the birthing suite.

"It's over. We have a son, 7lbs. 9oz. They're cleaning him up now."

The waiting room cheered as John and Bobby kissed.

"When can we see him?" Bobby asked with moist eyes and a tremble in his voice.

"Soon," John replied. "Emily," John addressed his mother-in-law. "Rachel needs you. She didn't want to look at or hold the baby. She thought it would be too hard to give him up if she did. She can use her mother right now."

Emily nodded. She was very proud of her daughter and knew the great sacrifice she was making. Emily went to Rachel.

"Oh my God, John, we have a son!" Bobby exclaimed and hugged his spouse.

After several moments the Pediatric nurse came out and signaled for John and Bobby to join her in the nursery. The proud papas followed the nurse into a bonding room and took a seat. The nurse brought in their son and placed him in John's arms.

The baby was still wrinkled and moist from the birth but he was the most beautiful creature John and Bobby ever beheld. As the baby rested secure in John's arms, Bobby gently peeled back the blankets that swaddled him to reveal the baby's toes. Both Dads were visibly relieved that their son had the correct amount of fingers and toes. The baby's head was all but bald with one or two wisps of fine red hair. His eyes were closed but they remembered what they were told that newborns often have blue eyes that change over time. They shared a soft laugh then quickly re-wrapped their precious bundle.

The nurse came in to take the baby back to the nursery for the usual tests and promised the Dads that they could see their son a little later. In the bonding room was a small bed. The exhausted Dads cuddled together and drifted off to sleep.

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

"No."

"Yes, Brian."

"No, John. I can't do this."

"Can't or won't?"

"Same difference."

"Coward!"

"Hey, I'm not afraid of shit. I just don't think I'm the right person. Ask Justin or George but not me."

"Brian, you will be my son's Godfather even if it kills you. I will not take no for an answer. Now go and talk to that priest you're always complaining about. Make this happen, Brian. I mean it."

Brian sighed loudly as John cut the connection. The Anderson-Morrison family was beginning their new life together. Rachel was still recuperating, healing, both emotionally as well as physically. She pumped her breasts regularly to be able to give her 'nephew' the right start in life. She had stayed away for the first month but was now able to visit the baby without too much heartache.

John and Bobby set the Christening date for December 12th and as promised, Rachel agreed to be Godmother. But John wanted his brother to be Godfather and by hook or crook, John would get what he wanted. Brian wasn't the only stubborn Kinney in the family.

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

"Brian? What brings you to my church?" Father Tom asked as Brian walked in and took a seat in the last pew.

"I...I need to know what a godparent does."

"Why?"

"My brother and his partner just had a baby and they..."

"They want you to be the Godfather?"

Brian nodded with a mighty sigh. Father Tom did his best to hide a laugh. Brian was obviously uncomfortable at the thought of being involved in such an important religious responsibility.

"Well, the simplest answer is that you would take on the role of religious guardian if the baby's parents couldn't do it. I know that sounds ambiguous so let's just say, you would act as guide, friend to the child as he grows. And assist the child in following the doctrines of the church. Brian, this is a very special responsibility and I suspect that all your brother expects you to do is to be the best uncle his child could ever want. If you keep that in your heart and promise God that you will guide the child to be loving and pure in heart, our Lord will look past your sins. I promise that he won't strike you down if you take on this responsibility."

Father Tom allowed himself a chuckle and saw that Brian was relaxing a bit. Taking a confessional vestment from his pocket he draped it about his neck.

"Brian, to be able to participate in the baptismal ceremony you must say confession."

"I don't remember the words, Father. It's been so long."

"Just talk to me, Brian. The words don't matter."

"How much time do you have, Father? This may take a while," Brian snarked.

Father Tom patted Brian's arm. "I have all the time you need, Brian."

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

On the morning of the 12th, the family assembled at the small Unitarian Chapel in Bridgeton. The same minister who performed the commitment ceremony for John and Bobby would christen their baby.

John, Bobby, Rachel, Brian and the minister were standing at the fount. Rachel held the child as the minister said the prayers making the child one of God's children. Not a dry eye could be found in the chapel. All of John and Bobby's friends and family were there to celebrate the little miracle. Debbie was especially proud of Brian. She knew what he had to do to be able to be Godfather. The family no longer had any doubts about Brian. They all believed.

As the ceremony was coming to an end, the priest took the baby and showed him to the congregation.

"I have the honor to present the newest member of the Anderson-Morrison family. Please offer your prayers and good wishes to............................................................!"

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

Authors' note: Help us name John and Bobby's baby. Use our feedback button to submit your suggestion. Thyme and I will decide and then post the baby's name and the winner. Good Luck and thank you for reading our series!

The End.
SabinaThymeSunshine is the author of 78 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked What a Difference a Year Makes 2 also liked 591 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Sunshine Files . The previous story in the series is What a Difference a Year Makes.. The next story in the series is First Comes Love.