- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

"Can you do it?"

"I can do it."

"You're sure?"

"I'm sure. When does it become yours?"

"I'm waiting for Jennifer's call now. How long do you think it will take?"

"A few months, as long as the weather improves. Longer if it snows again."

"John, are you sure? I mean really sure."

"Brian, look at me. The basic structure is sound. I may have to take out a few walls but it's not that complicated. I know how much you love our cottage and I know exactly what you want. And I know what you want for Justin. I've designed studios before. Let me do this for you."

"John, I can pay you."

"I know and we can work that out later. I don't need your money. But what you did for me and Bobby, getting us together, helping us with the wedding. I can do this. I want to do this."

"Don't expect me to put on my tool belt."

"No, no tools for you. I'll work up the preliminary plans and fax them to you."

"Good...hold on, my phone is vibrating. Kinney. It's done? No shit! When? Fax them to Kinnetik. John and I are at the cottage now. No. No mention of dynamite. Thanks, Jen. Okay. Later. It's mine. The seller jumped at my offer and threw in ten more acres. Nobody wanted this place. John, I have a house."

"Congratulations, little brother. Now let me make it a home."

The brothers hug then locked up the cottage before going their separate ways.

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

"Carl, what the fuck is going on? What's with the sound system?"

It was Saturday, February the 14th, Valentine's Day. Usually a day of dread for Brian. He had planned to propose to Justin tonight here, at Babylon. Babylon was doing a Valentine's Party to outdo all others but it wasn't going to happen without a sound system.

"Now, calm down, Brian. Don't get your boxers in a bunch. It started last night. We had a short. The electrician is here and he guarantees me that it will be ready for tonight."

"It better be, or there'll be hell to pay."

Brian paced the dance floor trying not to pay attention to all the red bunting. He had difficulty with the color red. He could handle burgundy and orange red but when it came to blood red, it still sent shivers up his spine.

"Carl," Brian shouted up to his manager. "I mean it, Carl, this night has to be perfect."

Carl nodded then went to check on the progress. Carl knew Brian meant business; only this time it was for a different reason.

By nine the club was already filled to capacity. Brian had the security doubled, he wanted no trouble. Brian wanted his Babylon to be a safe place for his patrons to come and party. Brian paced the catwalk. He recognized all the regular customers and noted all the new young, fresh faces. He was also pleased that more women were coming to Babylon. When Brian had the place renovated he made the ladies room more opulent and bigger, not the afterthought that the previous owners had neglected. His club was for Gays and Lesbians.

It was approaching eleven. Justin had planned to join Brian around eleven. Or rather Brian had asked Justin to join him at eleven using the excuse of the errant sound system and other business so that the boy wouldn't get there too soon. Brian elicited Debbie's help in his plans. As soon as Justin was safely away from the loft, Debbie would go in, set up the wine and flowers so all would be ready when Brian and Justin got back. Hopefully back as an affianced couple.

Brian was lost in thought when Justin tapped him on the shoulder making Brian jump slightly. The thumpa thumpa music was loud, louder than usual it seemed to Brian but no one noticed. Maybe it was the sound of his own heartbeat in his ears that Brian was hearing. He was so nervous that he found it increasingly difficult to maintain his usual cool calm exterior.

The lovers kissed. It was time. Looking into Justin's love filled eyes, Brian began his proposal.

"Justin, I love you. Marry me."

"What?"

"I said, Justin, I love you. Marry me."

"What? Brian I can't hear you. We're standing too close to the speaker."

Brian took a breath then shouted at the top of his lungs.

"JUSTIN, I LOVE YOU. MARRY ME!"

All of Babylon stood still. The sound system had taken that moment to cut out. All of Babylon heard him.

Justin stood awestruck at his blushing lover.

"Well, answer the man." It was Emmett on the dance floor, standing with his arms around Sam but like everyone else in the club, staring at the couple on the catwalk.

Justin's megawatt smile rivaled the sun. He leapt into Brian's arms and shouted for all the world to hear.

"YES! YES! YES!"

Babylon cheered and the music miraculously came back on. The lovers shared a dance that only Brian and Justin could dance. Then Brian took his fiancé home.

As Brian opened the door to the loft Justin could see the flickering glow inside.

"What's that?" he asked wondering what else Brian was going to spring on him. His heart was still thumping a mile a minute. Brian had asked him to marry him in front of the whole fucking Babylon crowd. And he hadn't taken it back when they all heard. And he hadn't made a joke of it. He had merely caught Justin when he flung himself into Brian's arms. And they had kissed and danced and people had cheered, and now they were home.

"I had another little surprise arranged for you," Brian said sheepishly.

"You did?" Justin smiled.

Brian nodded, took Justin's hand and led him to the bedroom. Candles flickered all around the bed and on every surface of the room. Their new brass bed glowed in the reflected light.

Justin felt his breath catch. "It's beautiful. You did this for me?"

Brian nodded again. "I … wanted tonight to be special."

"It was special back at Babylon," Justin laughed. "This is just icing."

"Speaking of icing," Brian said. He reached into the closet for a big box of Godiva chocolates that he had left hidden there.

Justin grinned. "Yum, those are the best. You felt you had to sweeten me up?" he teased.

"I want you to keep up your strength while I fuck you all night."

"I'm running on adrenaline. I could fuck for days."

"But then you might fade away to nothing, and I wouldn't want that."

"Me either. I want to be strong and real … and I want to be with you, only you."

Brian pulled Justin into a long, passionate kiss. Justin had accepted. They were starting on the next half of their lives together. He could hardly believe he was so lucky. And then he realized that it wasn't really luck. It was a combination of incredible tenacity on Justin's part and his own reluctant but determined decision to change his life. He wanted to be happy … truly happy. And he held happiness in his arms right now.

Brian felt tears well up as he gave silent thanks to the gods of Liberty Avenue who had set Justin under that streetlamp so long ago, and had forced his feet to go in that direction. And that was how history had been made.

"Champagne?" Brian asked trying to get his emotions under control.

"Sure," Justin replied. He looked at Brian quizzically. Somewhere during that kiss something had changed. "You're not having second thoughts, are you?"

Brian's eyes flickered onto Justin's face as he poured the champagne that Debbie had left cooling beside the bed. "No, no, are you?"

"No, but a moment ago…"

Brian knew what he was referring to. "It's just me being an idiot," Brian said softly.

"You're never an idiot, Brian. What happened?"

Brian handed Justin a glass of champagne. "I … I was thinking … about the night we met. I was so grateful that I saw you standing there, and that you came with me. My life would be so different without…" Brian's voice failed him. He didn't want to think about life without Justin. That was just not possible anymore.

"But I did come with you," Justin whispered moving close to Brian and running his hand along Brian's cheek. "You fought me every step of the way, but I'm still here."

"Thank the gods. I … I don't know where I would be without you. I wouldn't have John and his mother, or my own business. I'd still be tricking at Babylon every night, trying to stay young and beautiful."

"You'll always be young and beautiful," Justin assured him.

"I knew there was a reason I asked you to marry me," Brian said. "To us!" He raised his glass and clinked it with Justin's. They drank down the champagne and set the glasses on the night stand.

"Now for the fucking," Brian said as he began removing Justin's clothing.

"No."

"What?" Brian's hand stopped pulling down Justin's fly.

"I don't want you to fuck me."

"What?" Brian demanded getting angry. Justin was going to spoil this night. "Did you get a fucking headache now that you're an engaged lady?" he asked sarcastically.

Justin giggled. "Don't call me a lady."

"Slut!"

"Better.

Brian saw the glimmer of humor in Justin's eyes and knew they were all right. "Let's see. What else should I call you? Princess, bulldog, brilliant artist, lover, friend, traveling companion, partner, baby…"

Justin choked on that one. "You should have stopped at lover. That's what I want you to do, make love to me. You can fuck me later. But make love to me now, Brian."

And Brian did. Softly and gently and tenderly he laid his lover down on the bed and poured all the love he had for this beautiful man into the intimate act that they did with such perfection. And as Brian came he whispered, "I love you," just like the first time they had been together. Only this time, it meant so much more.

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

"Rachel, it's John. How are you?"

"I'm fine." Rachel said with a slight tone of exasperation in her voice. She was steeling herself for another barrage of John's inquisition.

"I'm sorry, Rachel."

"Sorry? What are you sorry about?"

"For annoying you. I realize that I've been a bit over the top about the baby. I had a long talk with your father the other day."

"My father?! Oh no, what did he have to say?"

"Pretty much what everyone else has told me. You're very healthy, strong, you did well with your previous pregnancies and I should stop being an asshole and leave you alone. He said you are a very responsible person and that you'd do the right thing and take care of yourself. He also told me how proud he is of you for doing this for us. He never knew you had this in you. I told him how grateful I am and what an idiot I've been bugging you all the time. He said he did that to your mother when she was pregnant with you. As a doctor he knew of all the things that could go wrong. He never took the time to just enjoy the experience. By the time your mom was pregnant with Bobby your dad got his act together and calmed down. We had a good laugh and he said that you spend a lot of time with your mother and she'd keep an eye on you for me."

"John, I never really minded the attention. I just want you and Bobby to relax. We have seven more months to go."

"I know. Besides, my brother has given me an assignment and it will take up a lot of my time so you're off the hook. But when the time gets close, watch out."

"No problem. What's your assignment?"

"Brian bought a cottage and he wants me to renovate and build a studio for his partner. We may have another spring wedding to go to."

"Have they set a date?"

"No. I think Brian's waiting to see about the house. Although they could still stay at the loft."

"Hmm, I've heard a lot about the infamous loft. I'd like to see it before I get too big to fit through the door."

"Maybe that can be arranged. I'll let you go now. You call me if there's anything you need. Any time Rachel, I mean it."

"I know you do. Now go and build your brother a house."

"Okay. Bye, Rachel."

"Goodbye, John." As Rachel hung up the phone she shook her head with a smile. "Men!"

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

John stood outside Brian's cottage. The weather appeared to be cooperating and he had all the plans tacked out on a big table in the front yard. John had picked out the men he wanted for this job personally. He wanted everything to be perfect for Brian and Justin. He owed them so much. Restoring this poor weather beaten toppled down cottage to its former glory was a very small price to pay for all the happiness his brother had brought into his life.

Instinctively John knew what Brian wanted. The cottage was to retain the rustic country feeling but with all the modern amenities two city boys could ever want. One of the first things on John's list was the plumbing. Specifically the hot water tank. Knowing their penchant for long showers, John chose a heavy duty extra large one. He chuckled quietly to himself and signaled to his men to begin. Secretly, John set a completion date for sometime in May, just in case Brian was impatient.

"Come on, boys. Let's get cracking."

John and his crew began their work.

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

"Brian."

"Theodore, back from Chicago so soon. I hope this isn't a bad thing."

"You'll be happy to know that the client loved your ideas and I have a signed contract." Ted handed the signed documents to Brian who looked them over with a very satisfied smirk on his face.

"My, my, my. You're turning out to be a fair ad man."

"Some praise coming from you."

"Now if our business is complete, get out of my office and go see what the fuck-up twins are doing. Why I ever hired them away from Vance, I'll never know."

"Brian, there is something I'd like to ask you."

"What is it now, Schmidt?"

"You and Justin."

"What about Justin?"

"When did you know?"

"Know what? Ted, get to the point." Brian was growling. Everyone knew that Brian loathed speaking about his personal life especially with Ted.

"I don't know why I'm telling you this but I've met someone. We met on the plane. He's a musician. Don't worry. He plays the kettle drums for the philharmonic. He's the first person I've ever been able to discuss Puccini with, who actually understands what I'm talking about. He lives here, in Pittsburgh, but of course he flies to wherever they're playing. He's single, was married several years ago before he came out. No kids. He knows about my former problems and he knows about you."

"What about me? Did I do him?"

"No, he's my age. We all know you like them younger. You did his brother. Said you were the best fuck he's ever had."

"That goes without saying. So what does this all have to do with me and Justin?"

"When did you know that Justin was the man for you?"

Brian considered his answer. He considered being flippant or just flipping Teddy the bird. Instead Brian was honest with Ted.

"When did I know? I never knew. Justin knew, he always knew. Sometimes I still don't know. What I do know is that I can't conceive of a life without Justin and I hope to God that I can make him happy. He deserves that."

"Thank you, Brian. You've given me a lot to think about."

"Do your thinking on your own time. Now get back to work!"

"Yes, boss. Right away, boss."

"And shut the door on your way out."

When Ted closed the door, Brian picked up his phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Sunshine. What are you up to?"

"My armpits in paint."

"Can you take a break?"

"Yeah, I need one. I'm starving."

"I thought you're making enough money not to be starving."

"It's past four and I forgot to eat lunch."

"We can't have you whittling your ass down to nothing, now can we? Go get cleaned up and I'll take you for an early dinner then we can have dessert at home."

"And they say you don't do romance."

"They don't know shit about me."

"You're right, they don't. But I do. Give me thirty minutes to get cleaned up and I'll meet you outside. Later, Bri."

"Later, Sunshine."

Brian hung up the phone. And sometimes, he did know.