- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

Hunter picked up the phone, looked at it for a moment and dropped it back onto the base. He heaved a huge sigh.

"Go ahead and call him," Claire said.

"Huh?"

"Call Nick. You know you want to," she teased.

"I … I don't want to seem too…"

"Needy?"

"Yeah."

"Needy can be flattering."

"What?"

"If you show somebody that you need them, it can be an ego boost for them."

"You think so?"

"I do."

"Um … I don't know."

"It's up to you, Hunter, but I've given you my best advice. I'm going upstairs to do a bit of sewing, so you'll have some time alone."

"Thanks," Hunter said as he watched her disappear up the stairs.

He picked up the phone and dialed Nick's number. It was nine at night and he expected Nick to be in his room studying. He was sure Nick wouldn't mind a little break.

"Hello," a voice said but the background music was so loud that it could barely be heard.

"Nick? Nick, is that you? I can hardly hear you."

"Hunter? Hold on for a minute."

The loud music continued for a bit and then there was silence.

"Hunter?"

"Yeah, I'm here. Where are you?"

"They're having a kegger in the common room."

"Lucky you, Hunter said sarcastically. "I thought you'd be in your room studying."

"I was until a few minutes ago."

"I see." However, Hunter didn't really see at all.

"Why are you calling?"

"I … I wondered how you were doing." Hunter had wanted to say that he missed Nick but he couldn't get that to come out.

"I'm fine. How are you?"

"Okay."

"That's good. I … I should probably go."

"Back to the party?" Hunter couldn't help but feel jealous. He wondered how many good looking frat boys were there.

"For a while."

"Have fun." Hunter's voice was tinged with sarcasm.

"Look, Hunter, I'm taking a break. That's all."

"Sure."

Hunter laid the phone back on the base. So much for Claire's excellent advice. Now he felt like shit and he would be wondering for the rest of the night who Nick would go home with.

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

March was rapidly coming to an end and Brian was getting anxious to show the cottage to Justin. He was daydreaming in his office when his private line rang.

"Brian Kinney."

"Brian, it's John." From the tone of John's voice Brian had the sinking feeling that whatever his brother was going to say, he wasn't going to like it.

"What's wrong now?"

"Um..."

"John," Brian growled as he rubbed his eyes.

"The furnace, you're going to need a new one. This one's shot."

"Fuck! I had an easier time with the bathhouse and Babylon."

"Those buildings weren't one hundred years old."

"Now I know why the owners practically gave it away. John, do whatever it takes. I want to be able to move in by the summer. I mean it, John. Now that I've popped the question to the blond brat I want a house to move him into."

"I promise, I'll have it ready by the summer. Sooner, if humanly possible. Have you set a date yet?"

"No, not yet. With everything going on, I was hoping for this year but I can't imagine doing it now. Maybe next Spring. The kid will probably get all weepy if I suggest it."

"I don't understand."

"If we wait till next year, we'll have been together, more or less, for ten years. Shit! Ten years of that twat messing up my loft, annoying the shit out of me, killing me with kindness. I don't know how I've put up with it."

"I know, you sentimental old fool."

"I don't do sentiment and watch it with the old shit."

"Whatever you say, little brother," John laughed as he cut the connection.

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

"Bobby Morrison."

"Hi, Bobby."

"Rach! What can I do for you?"

"Oh thank God."

"What?"

"You're the first person who hasn't started a conversation with, "Is everything all right?" It's refreshing."

"I figured if something was really wrong I'd hear it in your voice. So, what can I do for you?"

"Nothing really. I'm almost through my first trimester. I thought we'd celebrate."

"I'm liking that idea. Let me discuss it with John. Maybe we can all have dinner together at Claire's."

"Mmm, a home cooked meal. I could go for that."

"You sound hungry."

"I've finally gotten over my morning sickness. Now I'm always hungry."

"I'll call you in a day or two. Maybe I'll get Brian and Justin to drive up. I think they need some quiet time away from the city."

"Oh?"

"John spoke with Brian not too long ago. Justin's been painting like there's no tomorrow and Brian's up to his ass, er, elbows in new campaigns. I think a weekend away from it all may be what they need."

"You are the sweetest brother-in-law."

"Hey, Brian is my client not just my brother-in-law. If he's happy, the whole world is happy."

Brother and sister shared a laugh then said their goodbyes.

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

"Brian Kinney."

"Brian, it's John."

"Christ, what is it now?"

"Brian, if you don't calm down, you're going to have a stroke."

"What I need is for you to tell me that the fucking cottage is finished!"

"It's finished."

"It's WHAT?"

"It's finished."

"But I thought the furnace and the roof needed..."

"Brian, we can do more than one thing at a time, you know. The plumbing and heating system has all been replaced and tested. The roof is done and so is the studio. All you need to do is decorate. The fireplace and chimney is clean and ready to be used. And I took the liberty of hiring a landscaper. Before you say it, I had them use plants that have little pollen to upset someone's delicate nose. But I did have them put in some rose bushes. It'll look beautiful when they bloom. I can see hundreds of paintings inspired by them. Now, are you feeling better?"

"I don't know what to say."

"Then say you and Justin will come for dinner this Saturday. Rachel has made it through the first trimester and we're having her and her family over for dinner. Her poor husband has been putting up with a lot of shit as well as me bugging Rachel all the time. They deserve a pleasant evening. So, what do you say?"

"I say, let me get the okay from the little woman and I'll let you know ASAP."

"Good. Later, little bro."

"Later."

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

"Hey."

"Hi, Brian," Justin said into his phone.

"Did you eat lunch?"

"Um…"

"Um is not an answer, to quote Judge Judy."

"No, no, I kinda forgot. But I'm almost finished another painting. It's going so great."

Brian could hear the pleasure in Justin's voice. He knew what it was like to be on a creative high where everything you did turned to gold and it all seemed so easy. He decided not to chastise his lover, but to make sure he ate a good dinner.

"I'm taking you to the steakhouse for dinner tonight," Brian said.

"Shouldn't you ask me first?" Justin giggled. He knew what Brian was doing.

"I just did."

"But if this is a date…"

"Who said anything about a date?" Brian teased.

"Briiaan!"

"Okay, okay. Can you be ready by six-thirty? I'll pick you up at the loft."

"It's a date," Justin laughed hearing Brian groan before he hung up.

Sitting in the restaurant and watching Justin devour twelve ounces of steak, Brian had to smile. He noted that his partner had already polished off a huge baked potato with all the fixings. The vegetables had disappeared as did the last bite of the steak. They had had Caesar salad before. He wondered if Justin could possibly be full.

"I wonder what they have for dessert," Justin asked. Brian snorted. "What?"

"I was thinking that surely you must be full," Brian smirked.

"I missed lunch. Remember."

"Yeah, excuse me for thinking there might be a limit to your hollow leg."

"You're mean," Justin pouted.

"Not a good look for you, Sunshine."

Justin had to laugh. "Thanks for this. I was really hungry."

"No shit! Now let's get you some dessert." He signaled to the waiter.

As Justin inhaled his pie, Brian brought up the topic of dinner with John, Bobby, Rachel and George.

"Of course, I'll go," Justin said with his mouth full. "I'm so happy for them all."

"John says George is feeling a little left out so they're including him in this."

"Is he okay with four fags?"

"Seems like he is when we have a get-together at Claire's, so I don't see why this should be any different."

"Then let's go."

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

Saturday night they all assembled at the farm. Claire had cooked one of her magnificent meals. The roast prime rib was tender and delicious. Everyone enjoyed the wine Brian had brought. George seemed relaxed and even contributed some comments about Rachel's mood swings and dietary needs. It seemed that she had developed a passion for Skor Bites. After explaining that they were little chocolate balls with some Skor candy bar inside, they all had a laugh at Rachel's expense.

"Listen, now that I've found these things, I swear they're addictive. I'll never be able to stop eating them."

"I'm going to have to float a loan to keep her supplied," George laughed. He got a gentle swat from his wife.

"Um … I could buy you a supply of Skor Bites," John offered.

"Thank you for the offer, John, but I'm trying to cut her back. She doesn't need any more."

"Remember the last time I was pregnant, I craved caramel apple cheesecake."

"It's always been sweets, hasn't it?" George said holding his wife's hand affectionately.

Rachel nodded. "Better than dill pickles." George made a face. He hated dill pickles. That had been one of the fears when Rachel first became pregnant. He couldn't stand the smell of dill pickles. He dreaded the thought that she would have them all over the house.

"I'd like to propose a toast," Bobby said. "To the best sister in the world and her wonderful and supportive husband."

"And to the baby to come," John added.

They all raised their glasses including Rachel. Brian had thoughtfully brought Perrier for her.

"On that cheery note, I think it's time for us to go home. I can't seem to stay up much past nine these days."

"Rest is what you need a lot of," Claire told her.

"Does it kick yet?" Hunter asked having said very little all evening. He was kind of fascinated about this whole baby thing. He wondered what it would be like to have one someday, maybe with Nick, if they sorted things out.

"It's too tiny yet. Give me a couple more months and I'll let you feel it."

"Really?"

"Really."

"Cool!"

They made their way out to the cars. John made sure Rachel was safely buckled in. "Drive carefully," he told George who gave his best long suffering smile. They pulled away.

"That went very well," Bobby said. "Don't you think so, Justin?"

Justin nodded and Bobby asked him how his painting was going as he walked him over to the Jeep Cherokee. Brian and John hung back.

"Here's the keys," John said handing a set to Brian. "The cottage is ready whenever you want to move in."

"I can't believe you got everything done so fast."

"I like to give a realistic timeline for my work and then beat it if I can. It's amazing how grateful people are."

"No wonder you're so successful," Brian complimented him.

"Are you ready to go?" Justin called over.

Brian made his way to the Jeep and with a hug for everyone Brian and Justin headed home.

"What were you and John huddled about?"

"Huddled?"

"It looked like you were plotting something."

"Moi?"

"Tell me."

"If you're a very good boy, I'll show you."

Justin smiled happily wondering what Brian might have in store for him.