- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Brian comes to Justin's rescue when Ian becomes too agressive, and then part ways.  But, is this the catalyst that makes the two men recognize the thing that has been brewing between them for some time now?    

Justin had to admit that the band Ian had joined had a really good sound. The customers at Moonstruck had danced with wild abandon to their pulsing rhythms that were wonderfully reminiscent of sounds from a century ago. Justin had always liked the music of the late 20th and early 21st centuries. It might be old fashioned, but there was something primal and timeless about those sounds. He would have been having a wonderful time at Daph's party if Ian hadn't been spending so much time staring at him. It made the blond really uncomfortable. He didn't feel free to just let loose. Ian had always been so possessive of Justin and he still felt intimidated by the man's presence.

Justin was standing at the bar holding the drink he had been nursing for the last half hour, when he caught sight of the tall man standing at the entrance to the club. Brian stood there in all his glory. He was wearing a long flowing caftan of deep luxurious purple with strands of silver threads running lengthwise from shoulder to floor. The garment was sleeveless, the better to show off Brian's toned muscular arms. He wore a gold medallion, in the shape of a sea shell, on a cord around his neck and resting against his exposed breast bone. He had never looked more appealing to Justin.

The young man made the instant decision that he would have to leave the party NOW and go home because the stress of trying to ignore both his ex and the man he was so attracted to was going to be just too much to handle. He turned to put his drink down when he heard Daphne come up beside him and start gushing.

"Justin! Did you see who just showed up? I invited the boss to the party but I really didn't expect him to come."

Justin was about to answer his friend when they both heard another voice behind them.

"Hey, Daphne. I thought I'd come over and thank you for the invitation," Brian said, as he looked around the room. He turned back to focus his attention on his two employees. "You look hot tonight," Brian commented, giving the blushing young lady a once over.

Daphne started stammering. "You.....you too boss, " she managed to squeak out, ducking her head down in embarrassment.

Brian then turned his attention to the blond standing next to her. "You're looking pretty good too, Mr. Taylor."

Justin had no idea where it came from, but he found himself responding with, "you don't look so bad yourself, Mr. Kinney."

Brian was taken aback just a bit. He had never expected such a bold statement from his rather timid intern. And there was an undercurrent of something that had suddenly developed in that split second of time. Daphne recognized it immediately and, knowing how Justin felt about their boss, was a little surprised to feel that same tension coming from Brian. The two stood staring at each other for several moments, that seemed to go on forever, until the band played the final note of their song and the audience started clapping wildly.

The two men each took a step backward as if they had the overwhelming need to put some distance between themselves. Brian caught himself thinking that Justin had never looked more adorable with his pale skin turning a soft shade of pink from the blush that spread over his face. Justin turned back to his drink and Brian excused himself with the comment that he needed to mingle.

Daphne turned to Justin with, "oh my God! What just happened here, Justin?"

"I don't know, Daph. I can't believe I spoke to him like that. He must think I'm a complete idiot."

"That's not the feeling I got off him, hon," Daph remarked. "If anything I think he found it kind of nice. I think you should get out there and ask the man to dance."

"Are you crazy? You've seen the kind of studs he likes to dance with." Justin looked up at the bandstand where Ian's group was starting up on the last set for the night. "Besides, Daph, I don't feel like dealing with Ian's attitude."

"Ian's attitude?" Daphne's voice grew shrill. "What does his fucking attitude have to do with anything. He has no claim on you, Justin. It's not like you're going out on the dance floor to ravish Brian. It's just a dance, for pity's sake!"

Justin knew his friend was right, but he had lived through too many of Ian's tirades to want to risk another one over nothing important. Besides, he was quite sure that his boss wouldn't be that interested in dancing with him anyway. Justin spent the next half hour watching Brian swinging around the dance floor with a number of partners. He had just reached the point again when he had decided it was time to call it a night, when he heard the last note being played by the band followed by the leader thanking the audience for welcoming them and expressing the hope that they would return to see them again soon. He went in search of Daphne so he could thank her for the evening and get out as quickly as possible before having to deal with his ex.

He spotted his friend chatting with a group of girls and started towards her. Before he could get far he saw Ian heading his way. There was no way to escape. Ian reached him and startled Justin by leaning in to plant a kiss on his mouth. Justin pulled back as if burned by a torch and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. Ian gave a short laugh.

"Why, baby, you used to like that if memory serves me right," he chortled, amused at Justin's obvious discomfort.

"If memory served you right, you'd know I wouldn't find that welcome any more, Ian. Or have you forgotten how our relationship ended...‘cause I certainly haven't," Justin answered back.

"I remember," Ian returned, trying to sound as contrite as he could possibly be. "Why do you think I've been trying to find you? I know I made some big mistakes with you and I'm truly sorry. I miss you, Justin. I thought we could talk things out and at least stay friends, if nothing else."

"I have enough friends here. I'm not looking for more. And I don't really think we need to go into the past any more. I like where my future is going and I don't have time for things that are over and done with." Justin paused and then pointed to the band that was heading for the dressing rooms. "Besides, Ian, it looks like you're busy with a new life too."

Ian had followed Justin's finger and answered Justin, "yep, I think things are going to work out great for me, but it's not the same without you in my life. Look, I'm not expecting miracles but I have a room here in the visitor's quarters. Why don't you join me for a little after hours drink and we can talk a little...catch up on each other. Is that asking too much...really?"

Justin stepped back and looked his ex-lover straight in the face. "Yes, Ian, it is. I told you, I don't have time for the past. Look, I'm glad things are working out for you but I'm not at all interested in becoming a part of your life again...in any capacity. Now, I've gotta go."

With that, Justin started to turn around to leave. He suddenly felt an iron grip on his arm and turned to face an angry Ian. He pulled his arm, trying to break free but the man only grabbed his other arm as if to shake some sense into his ex. Justin felt panic as he remembered some of the more abusive times that Ian had put him through when his ex felt jealous. The man had never actually beaten him, but he had certainly left a bruise or two coupled with a lot of intimidation.

Justin felt Ian squeeze his upper arms a little tighter when both men heard a sharp voice nearby. They both turned to the source of the sound and saw an angry Brian fast approaching. He stopped between the two men.

"Excuuuuse me!" Brian growled with a clear note of venom. "Feel free to take your hands off that young man any time now." His tone left little doubt that he had meant immediately.

Ian was taken by surprise and dropped Justin's arms quickly in the face of the obvious threat from the much stronger looking stranger. He began to question the man carefully.

"Excuse me, but what business is this of yours," he shot back.

"It's my business, because this man works for me and I don't appreciate seeing my employees being manhandled. And just who in the fuck are you anyway."

"My name's Ian Gold and this happens to be my boyfriend."

Justin sprang into action. "Ex-boyfriend, he means."

"Right! Ex-boyfriend. And we were simply having a little chat about old times until you interrupted."

Brian was almost stunned into inaction. Had he heard this punk correctly? But that was something to deal with later. Right now, he had other business to attend to. He looked over at Justin.

"Is he telling the truth, Taylor? Did I just step into your business?"

Justin had never appreciated Brian more than at that moment. Having him there gave him all the courage he needed. "No, sir, he isn't being honest! I made it clear I had nothing more to discuss with him and apparently that wasn't good enough."

Brian looked over at the bully that he had taken an instant disliking to. "Well, Mr. Gold! I believe Mr. Taylor here has made his position clear and I think it's time you took your leave."

Ian debated for a second as to whether he should risk challenging the tall stranger but quickly decided that it would be more prudent to save his energy for a different day. He stepped a few feet back and waved at Justin.

"That's fine. I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes. We can always have a talk some other time. Justin...I'll see you later," he shot over his shoulder as he made a hasty retreat.

When they couldn't see Ian's figure any longer, Justin turned to his rescuer. "Thanks for helping me, sir," he began. Brian lifted his hand and shushed him.

"Don't mention it...ever. Wouldn't want folks to think I was some kind of super hero coming to the rescue of the innocent victims of this world."

Justin bristled at the reference to being a victim. He spoke out. "I'm not a victim and I don't need rescuing," he said a tad belligerently.

Brian was amused at the puffed up way that Justin stood and defended himself, but he took pity on the lad. "I didn't mean that you couldn't, Taylor. I'm sure you would have shown the creep the door in another minute or two. I just didn't like the way he was man-handling you." Brian paused to give Justin a chance to absorb what he'd said.

"So, he was telling the truth about being your ex-boyfriend? And Daphne is just a really good friend...not a sweetheart like everyone believes?"

"Daphne is the best friend I've ever known...and yes Ian is my ex and he's going to stay that way too," Justin answered Brian back.

Brian stood in front of Justin not knowing what to say next...one of the very first times in his life that he felt uncertain. He had a strong urge to spend a lot more time talking with this beautiful kid, but he felt out of his element. His sense of self-preservation was kicking in big time and he knew he needed to get away and think things through. In that moment he made his decision.

"Well, it seems you have things well in hand now so I guess I'll leave you to it. Do me a favor and tell Daphne I had a good time and thank her for inviting me again. I guess I'll see you two around or at least in the office on Monday." With that Brian turned on his heel and made his way to the entrance of the club, disappearing through the door before Justin could even react.

Justin stood as still as a statue trying to figure out what had just happened. It was only when Daphne tapped him on the shoulder and asked if he was ready to go home that Justin snapped back to attention. He stammered out a 'ready' and the friends headed for the exit to call the transport to take them home.

They were about to enter the taxi when a couple of Daphne's old friends called out to her and invited her and Justin to join them for a little after the party party at one of the girl's living quarters. Daphne turned to Justin but he definitely didn't feel like any more excitement tonight so he begged off. Daph gave her friend a quick peck and hurried over to the girls who were waiting patiently for their transport to pull up for them. Daphne gave a last wave to Justin and he settled into his seat, entering his required destination into the panel. Justin was torn between being glad to be alone with his thoughts and the urge to share what had happened with his best friend. While he debated which was the best way to feel, his taxi quickly arrived at the housing complex. Justin got out, released the taxi, and headed into the complex.

Justin was so lost in his own musings about the night's turn of events that he almost didn't notice the tall figure standing in front of the door to his living quarters. When he did, he couldn't quite believe it. He approached the man slowly and when he was within touching distance he came to a stop.

"Mr. Kinney? Did you forget something?"

"I...I'm afraid I did." Brian stopped.

The two men stood almost nose to nose, staring at each other again. Neither man could move. Then, in one swift movement, Brian reached out and put a hand around Justin's neck drawing the blond to him. He lowered his head and placed his lips tentatively against Justin's. Justin was too shocked to make a move, but the feel of Brian's lips on his was more than he could bear. Brian had started to move his lips slowly, seductively against Justin's and, despite his better judgement, the younger man couldn't help responding. His lips slowly parted and he could feel the tip of Brian's tongue as it poked gently between his own full lips. Justin started to go weak at the knees and he felt Brian's other arm reach around and capture his body, pulling him even closer.

Brian pulled away for a single second and looked deep into Justin's eyes. He saw the passion building in the darkening blue orbs. The fact that Justin was making no attempt to pull away told Brian what he needed to know. He knew he was taking a huge risk by pursuing this course of action, but he had not been able to shake this image from his head from the second he had departed the club. He had felt compelled to face Justin and settle this thing once and for all. Now he was drowning in the pools of Justin's gaze. The answer was there.

Brian lowered his head again and this time met with a mouth that greedily attached to his. In mere seconds the spark that had been between the two men ignited into a roaring flame. Their bodies meshed together as one as their lips and tongues played a beautiful melody together. Only when they stopped to gather air back into their lungs did Brian finally speak.

"Don't you think we should take this into your rooms," he whispered raggedly.

Justin reluctantly pulled out of Brian's arms, shakily began entering his entrance code on the panel, and then took Brian by the hand and pulled him into the open door. As the door slid shut behind the couple they were too wrapped up in each other to notice the short dark figure lurking behind the large plant half way down the corridor. The look on the intruder's face showed clearly that he HAD noticed them. But tonight was not the night to do anything about his new found knowledge. There was always tomorrow, or another day!

To be continued......