- Text Size +

 

Justin parked across the street from his best friend Daphne Chanders's house a little after three that afternoon, waiting for her to get home from school. He smiled when he saw Daphne's little blue car turn the corner at the end of the block a few minutes later and he got out of his car, which was his mom's old car that she gave to Justin for him to get to his treatments, and met her in the driveway.

"Hey," Daphne greeted, giving Justin a kiss on the cheek. "How was work today?"

"Fine. How was school?" 

Daphne made a face that was a cross between a snarl and frown. "It's the last week before finals, so everyone is acting more juvenile than usual. At least it seems that they're over talking about the prom."

She unlocked the front door of her parent's house and let them both inside. "Are you bummed you didn't go?" Justin asked.

"Nah. I had more fun with you that night than I ever would have had with those yahoos at St. James," Daphne said with a smile.

Although Justin had offered to take her to her prom the previous weekend, she decided not to go. Instead, the two of them went to their local roller skating rink and then to a midnight showing of Hitchcock's Psycho at the revival theater, which was scheduled to be torn down the following week.

"So, did you see him again today?" Daphne asked as they made their way upstairs to her room.

Justin knew exactly what him she was referring to, since he had spent an hour the previous evening raving about Brian on the phone with her. "Yeah, and you'll never guess what happened!"

"What?" Daphne asked, perking up at her friend's excited tone - one that she didn't hear too often.

He grabbed her hands and dragged her over to the bed. She needed to be sitting down for this. "He asked me out!"

"He what?!" Daphne screamed.

"Yeah! He invited me to a dance club on Liberty Avenue tonight."

"Oh, Justin, I'm so happy for you!" she said as she grabbed her friend into a tight hug. "Which club?"

"Babylon."

"I've heard about that place. It's where all the hottest guys go," Daphne informed him.

"How would you know?" 

"I read about it in Pittsburgh Out."

"Since when do you read that... and why?" Justin asked, puzzled.

The one time he tried to read the magazine, which he had flipped through at a gas station a couple of blocks away from Liberty a few months before, he quickly put it down after seeing that it was full of personal ads. He hadn't been looking for a date; he was looking for some guidance.

"My best friend is gay," Daphne said, although he certainly didn't need to be reminded of that fact. "I'm trying to keep current."

Before beginning his job at the diner, Daphne was the only person that Justin had shown his true self to. He had known from a very young age that he wasn't like the other boys. Instead of running around outside and getting dirty, he liked playing house when his female cousin around his age would come over to play, and he remembered crying when his father refused to buy him a doll for his sixth birthday. He instead received a train set, which his father took more enjoyment in than he did.

When the boys at school started noticing other girls in middle school, Justin never saw what they saw. So they were growing boobs, big deal. Once he began going to St. James Academy in his freshman year, which required them to take showers after gym class, he realized that he was attracted to other boys.

Not being able to take those communal showers was the only thing he missed about high school, along with art classes.

He had finally come out to Daphne, who he had been friends with since sharing a classroom in the third grade, the year before and was surprised to hear that his news didn't surprise her. The fact that he was the only guy she knew that wasn't trying to fuck her was one indication, along with his taste in movies and music. It seemed like Justin had everyone else fooled, or else nobody had the guts to question his sexuality. His parents had been under the belief that Daphne was his girlfriend for quite a while, and he never corrected them.

"What do you plan on wearing tonight?" Daphne asked him.

"I don't know... I mean, what do guys wear to those places?"

Daphne reached under her bed and grabbed the latest Out. She flipped through a few pages and pointed to a store advertisement. "Why don't we go here? I'm sure we could find you something hot to wear."

********************

"Brian, Michael is on line one," Cynthia informed Brian on the intercom.

"Tell him I'm on a call with a client," he said.

Cynthia sighed. "Brian... I know it's none of my business, but-"

"That's right, it's not," Brian barked before pushing the button on the phone to cut her off.

He didn't like making Cynthia lie to Michael for him, but it was easier than telling him that he didn't want to talk to him. He had received an email from Michael that morning with several pictures of his and David's new house in Portland, along with another request to give him a call, day or night. Michael had only been gone for four days, but he was acting as if it had been months and hadn't heard a peep from Brian the whole time. Sure, they had seen or spoken to each other nearly every day before Michael had left Pittsburgh, but now that he was gone, Brian decided that it was better that Michael just accept the fact that his new life with David didn't include him.

Brian leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes. He recalled the last time he had seen Michael, which was the night before he had gotten on the plane to Portland:

"If I want to experience the joys of scarfing, what the hell business is it of yours?" Brian had asked Michael after his friend had walked into the loft and found Brian trying out autoerotic asphyxiation for the first time.

"It's my business because I'm the one who will get the call saying that the God damned cleaning lady found you hanging from the rafters with a fucking boner!" Michael answered.

In his drunken and drugged state, Brian had found that possibility to be hilarious. Sure, he knew that what he was doing could kill him, but after turning thirty the day before and knowing that Michael would be leaving the next day, he didn't care if it did or not. The fact that he could have left his son without a father didn't really faze him. Gus wasn't even a year old yet, so the kid wouldn't remember him. Besides, Gus had two parents raising him, so he didn't need him. Brian knew from personal experience that a kid was better off without having a selfish asshole for a father.

He had chuckled before saying, "Fuck you, Michael. Fuck. You. Why do you always have to ruin everything?!"

"Ruin? I'm saving you!"

Brian had told Debbie on the phone the night before that he didn't need a babysitter. Even as he said it, he knew that it was bullshit.

That night hadn't been the first time that Michael had saved Brian from himself. Brian couldn't count the number of times over the years that he had needed Michael to help him home from a club or a bar. He probably would have killed himself in a car accident long before if it hadn't been for Michael taking his keys and driving him back to the loft. Some nights, Michael had to stay up with Brian in the bathroom while making sure he didn't choke to death on his own vomit like John Bonham or Bon Scott both did.

With all the shit that he had put Michael through, Brian had no clue why the man even wanted him in his life. It was no wonder why he had left town.

Brian pulled himself out of his walk down memory lane and asked Cynthia to get a hold of the Incompetent Twins, Bob and Brad, and send them to his office to begin their daily round of terrible pitches. Nine o'clock couldn't come soon enough.

********************

Justin and Daphne pushed their way through the door of Torso and were immediately greeted by the salesperson.

"Hey there, Cutie!" Emmett said to Justin.

"Hi... Emmett, is it?" Justin asked.

"Yep, that's right," Emmett answered with a gap-toothed smile. Looking at Justin's friend, he asked, "Who's your fag hag?"

Justin and Daphne both laughed. "This is Daphne." Turning to Daphne, Justin informed her, "I met Emmett at the diner yesterday."

"I only eat there like, every day, so you'll be seeing plenty of me!" Emmett said. "What can I help you with today? Are you looking for something to wear to Babylon?"

"Yeah... I have some clothes that might be okay to wear, but I'm not sure," Justin said apprehensively.

"Oh, don't worry, Sweetie. You'd look adorable in just about anything." Emmett pulled Justin over to a clothing rack and started pulling items for him to try on.

A half hour later, Justin settled on a tight black shirt that was so thin it was almost see-through and a gray pair of pants that, according to Emmett, made his ass "pop like nobody's business."

"Let's hope that Brian guy is an ass man," Daphne said.

Emmett smiled. "Honey, you have no idea..."

********************

After retrieving Justin from the diner a quarter after nine that evening, Brian led the blonde down the street to Babylon. They weren't even in the club yet, but already Justin was gawking at the sights around him.

"Wow... I've never been out here at night before," Justin said, his eyes wide.

Brian chuckled. Looking at Justin, he felt like he was watching a kid in a candy store, and it reminded him of his first night on Liberty Avenue twelve years before and how nervous he was. Of course, Brian never outwardly showed his anxiety, but that was okay because Michael queened out enough for both of them.

Once the two of them turned into the alleyway towards the entrance of Babylon, Justin frowned at the length of the line outside. Despite it being a Tuesday night, the joint was sure to be packed.

"Aww, man... how long do you usually have to wait to get in?" he asked Brian.

"Wait?" Brian said with a snort. "I never have to wait in line."

A moment later, the pair spotted Ted and Emmett standing towards the back of the line. Those two, on the other hand, knew what it was like to wait in line.

"Brian!" Emmett yelled, waving his arms while he and Ted jogged over towards them. It wasn't at all necessary for Emmett to announce his presence, as he could be spotted a mile away in the lime green pants he was wearing.

True to his claim, the bouncer let Brian and his guests in ahead of the others in line, which left Justin to wonder what made Brian so special compared to all the others who had to wait to get in. Sure, he was the hottest guy Justin had ever seen, but...

Justin lost all train of thought once he stepped onto the dance floor. He was nearly blinded by the flashing multi-colored lights and deafened by the pulsating music blaring from the sound system. He followed the guys over to the left side of the room, which was where the large bar was situated.

"What do you want to drink, Baby?" Emmett yelled to him over the music.

Justin bit his lip nervously. Being on dialysis, he knew he shouldn't ever drink alcohol, smoke, or put any other toxins in his body. He wasn't comfortable sharing his health problem with people he hardly knew, however. "Um... just a bottled water would be fine."

Brian leaned in close to Justin's ear. "Get whatever you want. It's on me."

Justin turned to look up at Brian, who was now standing close enough that Justin could taste the cigarette Brian smoked on the walk over. "No, I... I shouldn't. I'm not old enough," he replied.

Brian rolled his eyes. "Half the guys in here aren't old enough. Hell, I probably had my first drink when I was eight. My old man would send me into the kitchen to get him a beer, and he would say, ‘Feel free to open that for me!'"

Justin raised his eyebrows. His mother wouldn't even let him rinse with Listerine, she was so anal.

What kind of parent would actually encourage their kid to drink alcohol? he wondered.

Wanting to impress Brian, he figured a few sips of something tame wouldn't do much harm. "I'll... I'll just take a light beer."

A few moments later, Brian handed him a Miller Light. "Don't ever sit your drink down unless you're done with it, and only take open drinks from the bartender or someone you know," he warned.

Justin nodded and took a tiny sip of his beer. He didn't want to imagine what people slipped into other people's drinks in that place. "Thanks," he said to Brian, trying not to make a face at the bitter taste in his mouth.

How do people drink this shit? Blech!

Brian gave him a little grin before knocking back half of his own beer. Justin watched the man's throat move as Brian swallowed and felt his mouth fill with saliva. He never knew that watching another man knock back a brewskie could look so sexy...

He was pulled away from his gaze by Emmett grabbing him by his free hand. "Come on, Baby, let's go shake our booties!"

Before he could object, Justin was being led to the center of the dance floor. When Emmett let him go, he couldn't see Brian any more. He danced with Emmett for a bit, but he was still looking in the direction of the bar, hoping to catch a glimpse of Brian through the sea of gyrating men.

"What's wrong?" Emmett asked, noticing that Justin was distracted.

"I should go back to Brian."

Emmett laughed. "Trust me, Sweetie, between me, Brian, and Teddy, I'm the only one who can dance!"

Justin smiled and took a few moments to watch Emmett, who had his arms raised as his head, shoulders, and hips moved in time with the music. "You certainly know what you're doing out here, but... I came with Brian tonight-"

Emmett placed a hand on Justin's cheek. "Oh, Honey... did you think that you and Brian were on a date?"

Justin gripped his beer bottle as he twisted his face in confusion. "Well, yeah. I mean, you were there when he asked me-"

"Honey, Brian doesn't date. I doubt that man has ever been on a date."

"Then why did he ask me to come here tonight?" Justin asked.

"Honey..." Emmett cooed.

He didn't let Emmett finish that Honey and instead turned to walk back to the bar to find Brian. He was pelted with comments on his looks and dance requests, all of which he ignored. Once he found his way back to the bar, Brian had disappeared. Ted, however, was leaning against the bar, looking like a sad puppy.

"Where'd Brian go?" Justin asked Ted.

Ted shrugged. "Probably to the back room, as always."

"What's the back room?"

Ted smirked. "It's the kingdom of the Stud of Liberty Avenue. The Great God Kinney."

"Who's that?" Justin asked innocently.

"You really are new around here, aren't you? I'm talking about Brian... you didn't know that his last name was Kinney?"

Justin shook his head. Although he could accurately draw the man's face from memory, what he knew about Brian couldn't fill up a Post-It.

Ted stepped closer to Justin as he began to wax poetically. "Look around... Brian has probably fucked half the guys in this room and turned down the other half. He doesn't even have to try; his legend precedes him. Even the beefiest tops in town want to be fucked by him. And to top it all off, he's rich. The guy probably spends more on ties than I spend on a whole fucking outfit..."

As if he knew he was being talked about, the Great God suddenly appeared through the crowd, a smug little smile on his face. He yelled to the bartender to get him a shot before saying to Justin, "Hey, Sunshine. Did you enjoy your little do-si-do with Emmy Lou?"

"Uh... sure," Justin said, not knowing how the fuck to act now. He hoped that Ted was just exaggerating and only talking out of jealousy over Brian's better looks and nicer wardrobe. He sat his beer on the bar and said to Brian, "I think I should get going."

"Why? We just got here," Brian said, trying his best not to appear disappointed. The only place he had planned on Justin going that night was home with him. "Do you have to get up early for work tomorrow?"

"I'm off tomorrow, but I was up at five this morning and I'm pretty tired," Justin said as he began to back away towards the door.

Brian shrugged. "I guess I'll see you around, then."

Justin nodded and turned to leave, forcing himself not to burst into tears until he got back to his car.