- Text Size +

 

Brian looked deep into Justin's blue eyes. "I'm type O."

"So?" Justin asked.

"So maybe I could give you one of my kidneys."

Justin chuckled. "Yeah, right."

"Why not?" Brian asked. "You need a kidney, and I've got one to spare."

Brian could hardly believe the words coming out of his mouth. He had never before imagined offering to donate a kidney to someone without even being asked. Maybe if one of the few people close to him needed one, he'd consider it, but he barely knew Justin. But, after hearing the boy's story and learning that they shared the same blood type, how could he not offer to help him?

Maybe I'm not the selfish asshole that we all think I am... Brian thought to himself.

Justin sighed. "Just because you're the right blood type, doesn't mean you'll be a compatible donor for me. We first assumed that my mom could give me one of her kidneys, because we were both type O, but then there's tissue matching. There are six proteins we all have called antigens that should match; otherwise, the kidney may be rejected. Only two of hers matched mine. Then, there's a thing called crossmatching, but I don't think anyone can understand how that works without a biology degree. If you happened to be a match for me with all three of those, you'd then have to go through physical and psychological testing to see if you're even eligible to donate."

Brian chuckled. "Well, I'll admit that I could take care of myself better than I do. I watch my diet and exercise four or five days a week, but I smoke, drink, and do drugs from time to time." And don't get me started on my psychological health...

"Then there's the fact that you're a sexually active gay man," Justin added.

"What the fuck does that have to do with anything?"

"It means that you're at a higher risk for HIV and other STDs."

Brian stood up and began pacing in front of the coffee table. "Well, I know that, but I get tested every six months... though it wouldn't hurt if I went in more often. I was tested two months ago, and I was negative and clean as a whistle."

"Yeah, but how many guys have you been with since then?"

Brian thought about that for a few seconds and grunted. "I don't know... a few dozen? But I always, always use a condom."

"Even with oral sex?"

Brian stopped in his tracks for a moment. "No."

Justin started counting on his fingers. "With unprotected oral sex, you can transmit HIV, herpes, gonorrhea, syphilis, hepatitis-"

"What are you, a public service announcement?" Brian interrupted.

"It's what I've read," Justin said, holding his hands up in surrender.

"Well, if you think I'm too diseased to give you a kidney, then just forget I ever offered," Brian snapped. "I don't know why the fuck-"

"No! Brian, I..." Justin shot off the couch and went to stand in front of Brian. "I didn't say that. It's just... I don't want you to get your hopes up. Just about everyone I know has gone in to see if they could donate to me, and none of them were compatible with me or healthy enough."

Brian reached up and ran his thumb along Justin's cheek. "How about we let the doctors decide whether I can donate to you or not?" he asked in a gentle voice.

Justin nodded as he looked at up at the taller man, his breath nearly taken away by how fucking gorgeous he was. "I'll call my doctor tomorrow and tell him I have a possible donor."

At that moment, Brian wanted nothing more than to taste the beautiful young man standing in front of him. He leaned down to give Justin a kiss, but the phone rang before their lips could touch.

"Damn it," Brian growled as he walked over to his desk to check the caller ID. He wasn't surprised when he saw that it was Michael calling from his cell phone.

He reluctantly answered because he knew that Michael would only leave another nagging message if he didn't. "I can't talk now. I have company."

"What is it this time, huh?" Michael sniped. "A foursome with a set of French triplets?"

Justin walked over and whispered, "I can go, if-"

Brian held up his index finger and shook his head. "You know, there are more important things in life than fucking, Michael." Holy shit... did I really just say that?

There was a pause as Brian imagined Michael's eyes popping out of his head. "Wh... what? This is Brian Kinney that I'm speaking with, right? What the fuck is going on with you?"

"Later," Brian replied before hanging up and sitting the phone back down.

"So, that was Michael?" Justin asked. "And that's Debbie's son, right?"

"Yeah. He's been calling me day and night since he moved, but he won't take the hint that I don't want to talk to him. I was actually on the phone with Deb before you came over, listening to her bitch at me for avoiding her precious baby boy."

"Why wouldn't you want to talk to him? I thought he was supposed to be your best friend. I talk to my best friend Daphne every day," Justin said. "I wouldn't want to imagine her moving across the country."

Brian waved his hand. "It's complicated. I don't want to talk about it."

"But-"

Before Justin could finish his lecture, Brian shut him up with a kiss.

Although Justin had very little experience in the kissing department, kissing Brian felt completely natural to him and so, so right. When he felt the other man's tongue touch his, he moaned and wrapped his arms around Brian's neck. He soon felt Brian's erection pressing through his jeans, and he jumped when he felt Brian reach down and grasp his own hardened member.

"Whoa," Justin said as he quickly backed away, stopping only when his ass hit Brian's computer desk.

"What's wrong?" Brian asked.

"I hope that your offer wasn't just a ploy to have sex with me."

Brian chuckled and smugly replied, "I have never had to trick or con anyone into my bed. They always go willingly."

Justin smiled. "I'm sure they do."

"But I don't want you to feel obligated to fuck me just because I'm offering to help you."

Am I offering him an out here? Christ, when did I become a lesbian? Brian asked himself.

"It's not that I don't want to be with you. I mean..." Justin paused while pointing down at his dick, which was tenting his jeans. "Hello. But I..."

Brian put his hands on his hips and sighed. "You want your first time to be special," he said with a bit of sarcasm.

Justin's jaw dropped. "H... how-"

"Please," Brian said. "This isn't my first time at the rodeo. I know a virgin when I see one."

Mortified, Justin turned around and placed his hands on the edge of the desk. He felt completely unworthy of being in the presence of such an experienced man.

Brian walked up behind Justin and placed his hands on the blonde's shoulders. "Hey... believe it or not, I was a virgin before. I know what it's like to fantasize about how your first time will be - how you hope it will be romantic and perfect. But the truth is that your first time will hurt like hell. You'll be terrified, embarrassed, and probably a little grossed out, too. Even worse, the guy may pretend like he cares for you, but all he actually cares about is getting off. The whole thing will be nothing but a bad memory."

Justin slowly turned back around. "Was that how your first time went?"

Brian nodded. "It's all just a blur now. I haven't thought about it in a long time."

"But..." Justin bit his bottom lip. "If my first time was with you, would it be different for me?"

"I must admit that I wasn't always very nice with the virgins I've deflowered in the past; in fact, I was probably no better than the asshole that took mine. I can't promise that I'll be any nicer to you."

Disappointed in Brian's answer, Justin walked around Brian's desk to get a closer look at the framed pictures displayed on a narrow table behind the desk. The pictures all featured a baby boy in various poses. "Who's this?" he asked in an attempt to change the subject.

"That's my son, Gus," Brian answered, a touch of pride in his voice.

"Your son?" Justin repeated in surprise.

"Yeah. I gave my sperm to a friend of mine so that she and her girlfriend could have a baby. I signed over my parental rights to them, but they let me see him whenever I want. He'll be a year old in a couple months."

Justin looked over at Brian, who was now standing next to him and looking at the pictures of Gus. All Justin could think was, who the hell was this man, Brian Kinney? Was he a selfish asshole who would fuck anyone before throwing them to the curb? Or, was he a misunderstood man that would go out of his way to help someone in need, even a virtual stranger?

Will the real Brian Kinney please stand up?

"Um... I think I should get going," Justin reluctantly stated. "I'm due at the diner at six tomorrow morning."

"Okay," Brian said, trying to keep the disappointment out of his voice.

As the two of them walked towards the door, Justin turned and said, "Could we keep all of this a secret? I mean, I don't want people knowing about my illness and feeling sorry for me, especially if it turns out that you're not able to donate to me. Debbie is the only one at the diner that knows I'm on dialysis, and she promised not to tell anyone else."

Brian nodded. "I understand." He didn't want people questioning why he would get involved with something like this, anyway. He got enough flack when it became know that he was helping Lindsay and Melanie conceive.

"The doctors will need to set up an appointment with you to take your blood, and then it'll be a few days before they know if you're a match."

Brian walked back over to his desk to retrieve one of his business cards. He turned the card over and wrote his cell number. Handing the card to Justin, he instructed, "You can give your doctor my cell and office numbers, but tell them to try my cell first."

Justin put the card in his wallet. "Okay. Um... thank you for offering to do this for me."

Brian cupped Justin's chin and gave him a brief kiss before pulling the door open for the boy to leave.