- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

In this chapter, Brian worries about finding Justin after the young man is shipped quickly back to England without his Unit in order to be taken care of after receiving wounds from an exploding land mine. Will he be able to find Justin and spend any time with him?    

The transport back to England from Germany had been particularly tough on every single man in Brian's Unit. Every man except for the newest recruit, Justin Taylor, had earned enough points during their service overseas to get a ticket home even though the war was still not over in the Pacific theater. What hurt so much was that one of their best liked men, Private Samuels, had survived all this time but was not going home with them. Only his remains would be shipped back. It also looked like two of their comrades in arms, Private Smith and Private Taylor, would not be going home with them either. Private Smith was not in any shape to travel for quite a while. That was obvious before the medics even took him away after being too close to an exploding land mine. Private Taylor was another question.

It had been harder on Sergeant Kinney than most of his men knew. With all the turmoil going on during these last crucial days of the war on the European front, communications were not always up to speed. Brian had tried to find out what the condition was for his two wounded soldiers, Justin in particular, but had only heard that Smith was still in the hospital set up by the Allies in a half damaged meeting hall nearby. The only word on Justin was that he had already been flown out to England the previous day. There was more than one hospital site pressed into service in London and surrounding towns to handle the overflow of wounded soldiers from different branches and different Countries as a result of the bitter fighting during the last days of the war. Brian wasn't sure which one Justin was being sent to, or even how extensive his injuries were. The worry was making its mark on the normally controlled Sarge. He was edgy and obviously agitated.

Most of the Sarge's men put Brian's behavior down to his anger over what had happened right in front of him just when everything was finally looking up. Private Cowlip was the only one of Brian's men who fully understood why their Sergeant was so fidgety and he wasn't saying. Andrew Cowlip couldn't understand how a man could feel the same thing for another man that he felt for his wife back home, but he knew what kind of man Brian Kinney was. The man was his hero. He would follow the Sarge into Hell and back as far as he was concerned. Sarge had proven his worth as a man and that was good enough for Cowlip. What he did in his private time and with whom was none of his business, or anyone else's for that matter. He also liked and respected young Taylor so he felt Sarge's pain. None of the remaining men in Brian's Unit were as happy as they had expected to be as they flew over the waters of the Channel and landed on English soil. The Unit wasn't intact as it should have been after all they'd gone through together.

Once the men landed and reported in they were given instructions on where to billet for the time being while they waited for their turn to go home to the States. The men hurried off to find their new temporary home so that they could divest themselves of all their gear and have the first good hot shower they'd experienced since staying at the Beaulieu Estate in France, which now seemed a lifetime ago even though it had only been a couple of months. Every single man knew what he wanted to do during the days ahead. Private Crockett was especially eager to get moving. The men would have a few days of liberty ahead of them to begin with and Crockett had a sweetheart only two towns away. The rest of the men just wanted to feel like normal people again, without the fear of an enemy around every corner ready to spring out and take their lives. They wanted to write home and let their families know that they were among the lucky survivors and would soon be holding their loved ones in their arms again. Brian wanted only one thing...to find out where his newest recruit had been sent and how he was doing.

********************************************************

Justin lay back in his cot and closed his eyes tightly. The pain in his head was far less intense now, especially with the morphine they had given him after the operation to save his leg. They had repaired the torn artery in his leg and reset the bone and now it was simply a matter of healing. He had been told that it was only his C.O.'s quick thinking that had saved him from bleeding to death. When they mentioned Brian, Justin felt a different pain. He wasn't even sure how much time had passed because he had gone in and out of consciousness so many times already, so he had no way of knowing where his Unit was or if he would even see Brian again. The one thing he had been dreading for a while now had come true. They had been separated.

Justin knew the rules and that there was a good chance that he would be transferred to another Unit since he didn't have near as much time overseas as the other men. He had kept that thought to himself while the war still raged, but hadn't talked about it with Brian yet even after peace was declared. That, of course, was before he was stupid enough to get himself wounded. Now he was even more uncertain. He kept his eyes closed because his thoughts of Brian made his eyes well up and the last thing he wanted to do was cry in front of the other men in his ward or the medical staff. They would probably just think it was the pain that caused it, but he didn't care. This was his own private agony and he wasn't in the mood to share it with anyone. Eventually he drifted back to sleep for the umpteenth time, letting his mind drift away to the old venerable estate in France.

When Justin woke again he could see that there was darkness outside by way of the windows across the room from where his cot joined a dozen others in the large room once used for town meetings. The room was in a dim light so that the other men could sleep, those that were able. A couple of them were obviously having their sleep interrupted by unpleasant dreams as they moaned and squirmed in their tiny beds. Both Justin's leg and head were throbbing again. He spotted a nurse in a crisp white uniform several beds down and caught her attention. When she hurried over, he told her of his pain and she patted his hand before heading off to locate a doctor. Minutes later she returned with a syringe, gave him a shot, and tucked his bedclothes back in again. He tried so hard to stay awake, but the drugs kicked in and he found himself back at the estate once more.

When Justin opened his eyes this time the night had disappeared and dim sunlight poured through the windows. He had no way of knowing how long he had been out this time. The throbbing in his head and leg was still making itself known but not with the same intensity as he had felt earlier. He sat up quickly on his elbow to look out the window and felt a sharp stab. He shouldn't have moved so fast. He fell back down and a deep groan escaped. Justin then felt a warm hand cover his own and heard an even warmer voice speaking.

"Shhh, you need to move slowly Sunshine."

Justin turned his head, which caused another sharp pain. It didn't matter. He would know that voice anywhere. His eyes began to well up again, but he didn't care.

"Sunshine?"

"I'm sorry," Brian whispered. "I don't know what made me say that. It's just that when you smile, it's like a ray of sunshine kiddo. I've missed that smile, you know. It's taken me a devil of a time to find you. Somehow your papers got misplaced. I'm afraid I put the fear of God in some poor hapless clerk when he couldn't tell me what hospital locale they had taken you to."

Justin couldn't help smiling through the discomfort in his head. Sunshine...he liked the sound of that. He had seen Brian when he was frustrated. It was a little intimidating. Somehow it made Justin feel so much better knowing that Brian took whatever measures he needed to to find him. Brian saw the growing smile and it gave him a spark of hope. They hadn't managed to kill the beauty of Justin's smile with their hateful weapons. He hadn't talked to the doctors yet...he had rushed right to Justin's bedside once he had finally bullied the clerk into finding the blond's real destination. Justin was pale, even for him, and he had a lump under his sheet that indicated a large bandage on his upper thigh. His head had a small bandage right over his temple, but other than that he was looking damned good...especially to his lover. More than anything, Brian wanted to lean down and kiss Justin's lips and assure him that everything was going to be fine. He leaned forward and whispered again.

"Damn Justin, I want to kiss you. Right here in front of all these men. Show them what a real man does when he finds out his lover is going to be all right. You have to hurry up and get well so that I can prove to you how happy I am that you survived." His voice grew husky with longing.

"I'm kissing you right now, Brian," came the barely audible reply. "Can you feel my lips on yours? Can you feel my tongue? It's searching for yours. It feels so good when it touches yours...when it tastes your sweet mouth. Can you feel my body as I lay here next to you? I can feel you, Brian. Can you feel me as I hold onto your cock and play with it? I can feel you holding mine and making it sooooo hard."

Neither man realized how their breathing had become more labored. Brian could feel his cock swelling while it pressed against the bed frame as he leaned in close to Justin. Luckily for the couple, it was still too early in the morning for most of the exhausted patients to be awake and the staff hadn't made their rounds in this section of the make-shift hospital yet. Brian knew he should stop Justin, but his mouth wouldn't form the words.

"Oh Brian...can you feel my heart thudding? I'm feeling so close now. You feel like you are too. Cum for me Brian! I'll cum for you!"

Somehow, Justin had said all this without raising his voice above a whisper the entire time. It took every bit of Brian's will power not to cum in his pants as he leaned against Justin's cot. The tiny stain that suddenly appeared on Justin's sheet right above and to the side of his bandaged thigh revealed that the young man had not had quite the same self control. He smiled sheepishly up at Brian when he saw where his lover's eyes had drifted. Brian's eyes sprang back to Justin's slightly flushed face. He grinned wolfishly.

"One...I can see you're going to be fine, young man. Two....don't ever do that to me again. Three....well Hell, that was fucking fantastic but the next time we have sex I'm doing it my way and in complete privacy. Now do as your Sergeant orders and get well enough to get out of here. Got it?"

Justin raised his arm in a salute. "Got it...Sir," he responded, a self satisfied grin on his face.

Brian checked around and saw that the staff still had not reached Justin's ward. He took advantage of a nearby cart and pulled one of the loose gowns he saw laying neatly stacked there for the nurses to make changes. Clean sheets lay just below on the bottom of the cart. Brian grabbed one of those too. In less than a minute he had the slightly damp top sheet and much damper gown Justin was wearing stripped from the young man's body and wadded up. Seconds later Justin sported a clean gown and new top sheet. By the time nurses entered the room, Brian had discarded the soiled items in a basket obviously set out for dirty linen. If anyone knew anything, they weren't saying.

Brian spent a couple more hours with Justin until his attending physician arrived. His doctor made it clear that Justin's major wound, the damaged leg, would not be too serious eventually outside of some stiffness. He didn't give an exact date for release but assured Brian it shouldn't be more than a few days from now. He would not be good for active service after the wound, however, so he would no doubt be sent home fairly soon...earned points or not. Brian thanked the good doctor and warned Justin he would be back that evening, which brought another sunshine smile to the young man's face. Brian then hurried off to take care of some things. For one, he needed to try and pinpoint whether Justin would be returning to the States with his Unit or on his own. As he stepped into the Springtime morning sunlight, he sent up another silent prayer....'Please let him come home with us...please!'

To be continued.........................