- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

"Wakey, wakey."

"Go away, I'm sleeping."

"Justin, you said you'd come with me today."

"I did. Three times."

"That was last night."

"I distinctly saw the clock before I fell asleep and it said one-thirty, so technically I came with you today."

"Justin, get your ass out of this bed and into the shower. I want you to go with me to see the building. I have some thoughts about the decor and I want your input. Besides, John and Bobby want us to meet them for lunch."

"Why didn't you say so in the first place? I'd love to have lunch with the guys."

Brian affectionately swatted his partner's ample butt as Justin jumped out of bed and sprinted into the bathroom. Shaking his head, Brian joined his lover for a nice warm shower to start off their day.

It had snowed overnight, just a few inches, making driving the Corvette a foolish choice; they opted to use the Cherokee. Taking their time, Brian and Justin reached Harrisburg at nine-thirty.

"Read me the address again."

"Two hundred East Piermont. I know where that is," said Justin with a smile.

"You do? How?"

"It's close to John's office and to the place where I buy my art supplies." Brian arched a brow.

"Sunshine, I thought you bought your supplies in Pittsburgh."

"I used to, but since we moved, I prefer to come here."

Sensing something wasn't quite right, Brian pushed. "Why?"

"Ever since the gang learned about our commitment, some of them have been acting weird."

"I know all that, Justin, but that was ages ago. Everyone's been cool."

"Everyone but Michael. When I go to Pittsburgh to buy my supplies, I always run into him. It's like he's waiting for me to go to the store. He was driving me nuts. We'd start out talking about Rage, then he'd want to know if I knew what you were up to. And I'd make the mistake of telling him you were working. Then he'd get that smug look on his face like he knew a big secret."

"And did he?"

"No, but he made it sound like he did. Then he'd drop a hint that you weren't where you were supposed to be or that he thought Ben was spending too much time with you."

"Oh puleez. You are not jealous of my lunch breaks with Zen Ben, are you?"

"Of course not, Brian. I'm just tired of Michael's innuendoes. It's just as easy for me to come to Harrisburg as it is to go to the Pitts and I don't run into Michael."

"And my brother?"

"What about him"

"Even I haven't seen my brother's office. How did you know the store is close to John's office?"

"I've been there."

"You've been there?" Brian pulled up in front of Two Hundred East Piermont and turned off the engine. He glared at Justin; twinges of jealousy began to inch into Brian's head. Justin immediately recognized the signs.

"Brian, stop it. When we came to Harrisburg with Claire to help her buy all the stuff for the wedding, I remembered passing the art supply store. I decided to check it out one day. While I was looking for some new pigments, John came into the store. Apparently he buys his drafting supplies there and has for many years. He introduced me to the shop owner. I've been coming here ever since. John offered to show me his office. Now, do you intend to make an ass out of yourself or are you going to give me a kiss and meet the realtor because I think that's him looking very cold by the front door."

Brian blushed slightly and tipped his head looking very contrite. He gave Justin a chaste kiss on the lips and mouthed 'sorry,' before he got out of the Cherokee to open his partner's door. Justin smiled and whispered, "I love you." Brian straightened his shoulders. Looking like a very formidable businessman, Brian Kinney went to buy himself a building.


"You bought the building?!" Bobby nearly shouted at Brian over their salads at the restaurant. "Whatever happened to 'I'll think about it' or 'let me get back to you' and the ever popular, 'I'll have my people talk to your people.' Brian, you should have called me first. I'm your lawyer. What if you got ripped off?" Bobby continued his rant while Brian pulled out a contract from his pocket and handed it to the fiery redhead.

"You have got to be kidding me!" Bobby quickly scanned the contract. "Brian, you should have been a lawyer."

"Is it okay?" John asked. The sound of concern was evident in his voice.

"Shit, he bought the building itself for a song and leased the property for fifty years, with an option for more. Even if Brian wanted to pull down the building and start all over he's still saving a bundle. Damn, you're good, Bri."

"I know," Brian finally spoke up. Three napkins hit Brian in the head.

On the way back to the cottage, Justin was very thoughtful. Finally Brian had to ask.

"What are you thinking about?"

"I was picturing a color scheme for the new Kinnetik."

"Already? There's still a lot of renovation to be done before we get to that stage."

"I know, but I was trying to reconcile the old building with the modern look that Kinnetik projects."

"And have you succeeded?"

"I think so."

"Tell me."

"I was thinking that we should keep the look of the old building but change the front door to glass. Make it a modern entry into the old space. The interior should definitely have more color than Kinnetik."

"But not red velvet, right?" Brian asked apprehensively. He wasn't sure where Justin was going with this.

"I know it was a brothel, Brian, but that doesn't mean we have to make look like one now."

"Thank the gods."

Justin chuckled. "I thought we could have modern furniture like at Kinnetik, but use color, maybe blues and greens."

"Hm."

"Is that a good hm or a bad hm?"

"Good."

Justin smiled over at Brian. He liked it when Brian felt he was helping with Kinnetik. "Everything would be subject to your approval."

"If our cottage is anything indication, you don't need approval from me."

Justin grinned. "Maybe I should go into interior design."

"You could, you know. You have an artist's eye for that."

"You are going to get so lucky tonight, Mr. Kinney," Justin said leaning into Brian.

"I can hardly wait," Brian smiled. His foot pressed down on the accelerator.


Bobby and John had made their way back to their cottage after lunch. Claire was there looking after her grandson.

"Mother," John said as he came in the door. "How was our little angel?"

"Cried like a banshee for almost an hour, but he finally settled. He's been sleeping for not quite an hour." Claire let out a long sigh.

"This isn't too much for you, is it?" John asked, concern evident in his voice.

"We can get Rachel to baby-sit more often," Bobby volunteered.

"I'm fine," Claire protested. "I love looking after my grandson. It's lovely having him so close."

"If you're sure, mother."

"I am, Jackie. And thank you for worrying about me. How was your lunch with Brian and Justin?"

"Brian bought the fucking building," Bobby reacted.

"That's Brian," Claire laughed ignoring the bad language. "No grass grows under his feet when he wants something."

"Except maybe where marriage or commitment is concerned," John said making a face.

"They'll get around to it when they're ready," Claire assured them. "Are you home to stay or are you going back to work?"

"We're staying," Bobby said. "We want some quality time with that son of ours."

"Then I'm off. I want to take a nap and then cook dinner for Steve and Hunter."

"Take it easy, mother."

"I'm not doing anything I don't want to do," Claire called as she went out the door.

Just then a tiny cry came from the nursery.

"He's up," Bobby said heading in that direction.

"I'll get a bottle ready."

The little tyke needed to be changed as it turned out. John carried the warm bottle into the nursery where Bobby was stripping off the dirty diaper.

"How the fuck do they make such stinky poo from milk?" Bobby asked as he wrinkled his nose and quickly deposited the offensive diaper in the waste can by the bassinette.

"I've wondered that myself," John said thoughtfully as Bobby took a wet wipe and cleaned the little guy's butt.

"Do you think we'll ever get used to that smell?"

John laughed. "I'm not sure I want to. Maybe when he starts getting more solid food, it'll be better."

"Yeah, but we still have a couple of years of this before he'll be potty trained."

"I never really understood what a long term commitment we were making," John said watching his partner.

"You're not sorry, are you?" Bobby asked with alarm. He was putting on baby powder followed by a new diaper.

"Hell no," John replied. He watched Bobby pick up their son and carry him to the rocker by the window. Bobby sat down cradling the baby as John handed him the bottle. The little guy took to the nipple immediately. "He's got your appetite," John chuckled.

Bobby smiled. He knew he had no real part in creating this baby. It was Rachel and John combined, but he loved to hear John say things like that. "Runs in the family," Bobby added.

"And he's so beautiful, just like you."

"Yes, he's beautiful," Bobby said as Patrick sucked on the bottle. "Red hair and hazel eyes, just like we wanted." He sighed contentedly.

"Life is never going to be the same from now on, and I wouldn't want it to be." John leaned down and kissed each of the important men in his life.


Claire had rested and then had put a chicken in the oven to roast. She was fixing the vegetables when Hunter came in.

"How was school?" she asked.

Hunter smiled. "I might be valedictorian for my class."

"Hunter! That's wonderful."

"It's not official, but I'm one of the finalists."

"Even that's a big comment on how well you're doing. You should be so proud."

"You know what, I am!"

"That's my boy."

Hunter leaned down and kissed Claire's cheek. He really did feel like her boy. She had been great ever since he came there. "Thanks for everything you've done for me, Claire."

"You're more than welcome, Hunter."

"I have a bit of homework to do before supper."

"Before supper?"

"I want to call Nick and spend some quality phone time with him later."

"I see," Claire replied.

"I hope not," Hunter laughed as he ran upstairs.

An hour or so later Hunter, Claire and Steve were seated around the kitchen table eating dinner. The two men were telling Claire how delicious her chicken was.

"You're going to give me a swelled head," Claire said with a laugh.

"You deserve the compliments. You are the best cook. Don't you agree, Steve?" Hunter asked.

"I most certainly do."

Steve looked at Claire with love in his eyes. Claire blushed and continued eating her chicken. When Hunter finished the main course he excused himself to go upstairs and make his phone call. Claire cleared the dishes and brought them each a piece of pie.

"Delicious," Steve said with his mouth full.

"If you were Hunter, I'd tell you not to talk with your mouth full," Claire laughed.

"But I'm not Hunter, and I think it's time I made that clear to you."

"What are you talking about, Steve?"

"I'm talking about this," Steve replied fishing in his pocket and pulling out a little black velvet box."

"Oh!"

"I want to marry you, Claire. I think it's time."

"So do I," Claire smiled.

"You do?"

"I do."

"Did we just get married?" Steve laughed.

"Heck no, I haven't even got the ring on my finger yet."

"I can rectify that," Steve said snapping open the box and sliding the solitaire diamond onto Claire's finger.

"It's beautiful, Steve," Claire said with tears in her eyes.

"I'm glad you think so. So, when do you want to get hitched?" Steve asked with a twinkle in his eye.

"Maybe we could have a double wedding with Brian and Justin," Claire teased.

"If that's what you want…" Steve said uncertainly.

"I was kidding. Brian is the world's biggest drama queen, to say nothing of Justin. We would be crazy to have any part of that wedding other than what they ask us to do. Besides, I've never had a wedding of my own and I want to plan one just for me."

"I'm happy to hear you say that, Claire. I want you to have everything you ever wanted."

"At this very moment I think I do."

Steve and Claire held hands and smiled at each other.