- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

"Mother," John softly called out as he left the baby sleeping peacefully in his room. Placing the baby monitor on the granite island in the kitchen, John had his hands on his hips.

Claire recognized the signs of an impending queen out. Claire had put the kettle on for tea. They all needed a cup after their ordeal with the baby.

"Mother, care to explain?" John said indicating the new piece of jewelry gracing his mother's ring finger. Steve stood off and waited in the corner. "And don't think I don't see you hiding in the corner, Steve."

"Jackie! Behave. Steve proposed last night and I've accepted." Claire and Steve beamed with happiness.

"And just when were you going to tell me?" John said with a Brian-like arch of an eyebrow.

"Well, we were planning on telling you all tonight but your son had other plans."

Claire saw a slight twinge of pain and guilt fly across her son's face. "Jackie, Jackie, you did nothing wrong. Things like this happen to every child. All parents go through this. What makes you think you and Bobby are any different? You did absolutely the right thing and Patrick's fine."

"Mom, I was so scared. I didn't know what to do. What if I did something wrong? God, if anything happened..."

"Shush," Claire gave her distraught son a hug, "nothing's going to happen. And we're all here to help. Now, I apologize we didn't tell you sooner about our engagement but it happened rather fast. I was planning to call to invite you all for dinner."

"Mom, I really don't want to take Little Red out tonight."

"Of course not, honey. Why don't Steve and I bring the fixings over later tonight for dinner? I'm sure you're in no mood to cook and you have to eat anyway. We'll have a quiet meal and stay for a while to look after the baby while you and Bobby get some rest."

"I don't think I can ever sleep again, Mom."

"Sweetie, you'll sleep. You heard the doctor, once the rash comes out the worst is over."

"John, your mother is right. Bobby will be home soon and I'm sure he'll be looking forward to a nice meal. Besides, how will you be able to take care of my future grandson if you're not well rested?"

"I, I don't know what to do. Bobby, oh God, Bobby. What do I tell him?"

"Tell me what?" Bobby just walked through the door, surprised to see his house full of people.

"Bobby!" John rushed to Bobby wrapping his arms around his partner's small frame. "The baby!"

"What? What is it? The baby, what happened to the baby?" Bobby squirmed out of John's grasp and ran to the nursery. His son was sleeping peacefully, his head cool to the touch. Bobby tucked Patrick in and then came out of the room. John was sitting on the couch with his head buried in his hands. Bobby sat down next to him and tried to figure out what had happened.

"I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what, John?"

Before John had the chance to explain, Steve sat on a chair opposite to the couple and explained what happened earlier.

"Little Red had a fever, John called us and we all went to the hospital. The baby is fine; it's just a virus that will work itself out. The fever broke and he's on the mend as we speak. John was upset because he thought he did something wrong. Now you know as well as I do that these things happen all the time. Your daddy's a doctor, people get sick and they get better. But John is feeling guilty. He wanted to call you but he knew you were in court. Claire and I were here and we're going to stay for a while, cook you dinner and watch the baby so you guys can get a little rest. And we have some very pleasant news for you when you're ready to hear it. Now why don't you take your partner into your room and lay down for a while. We have time before dinner."

Bobby nodded. He could feel John's pain and saw the unnecessary guilt that John was shouldering. "Come on, baby, lets take another peek at our son then lay down for a while. The traffic was murder and I'm beat."

John smiled at his partner, combing his fingers through Bobby beautiful red hair. John's partner needed him too. He took Bobby's hand to kiss it. They then went to check on their son.

"Damn, I'll never get used to these queen outs," Steve joked.

"That wasn't a queen out. That was John not knowing what to do. We didn't have babies around when he was growing up. He forgets that he was once a little boy and children get scrapes and colds and the measles. Bobby was raised by a doctor and he has lots of cousins. He's used to kids. I think I'll call Rachel and Emily. I'm sure they'll want to know and I'm sure Dan will want to check out his grandson."

"Good idea. Once they know that the baby is fine, the quicker John will get over this guilt trip. What's with these Kinney boys and their feelings of guilt? You'd think the sun rises and sets with them."

"Doesn't it?" Claire snarked sweetly. The newly affianced couple shared a laugh and a kiss. "I'll make the calls. Why don't you root in the refrigerator for something to cook? I'll call Hunter too. He's probably wondering why he's all alone in the house."

A couple of hours later, John and Bobby woke to the aroma of roasting pork, sweet potatoes baking and vegetables blanching. And to a house full of people.

"Well, there they are! Glad you can join us," Rachel greeted her brother and brother-in-law. "Your son was beginning to wonder when you were going to wake up."

"No doubt their stomachs woke them up," Hunter snarked out. He was sitting in the overstuffed chair near the fireplace holding the baby who was happily gurgling in his hands.

"Come on; help me set the table. We have a lot of hungry people here to feed," Claire added. John went to relieve Hunter of his little burden as Bobby went to assist Claire. There was a knock on the door and Steve went to open it.

"Emily! Dan! So nice of you to drop by," Steve greeted his almost in-laws.

"Good to see you too." Dan shook Steve's hand as Emily gave her son a kiss then went to check on her grandson. "Ms. Claire, something smells wonderful. If we'd known we were having a party we would have brought a dish of our own. At least we brought dessert. Dan presented the family with a huge chocolate cake.

"Looks scrumptious," Claire exclaimed. She took the cake from Dan and he nodded toward John and the baby. Claire winked and Dan went to check out his grandson.

"Well now, how is the little bundle? Through making a commotion and scaring everyone half to death? May I?" Dan asked John for his permission to hold his grandson and check him out. John and Dan exchanged places. Patrick went to his grandfather without fuss.

"Now as I recall, babies have ten fingers..." Dan tickled the baby's hands. "...and ten toes."

Dan continued to tickle the little one's toes. He loosened up Patrick's sleeper to do an exam of the rash on his trunk. The rash was already beginning to fade. Crisis was more than over. Dan rewrapped their precious bundle and placed a kiss on the sparse red head. The baby looked just like Bobby when he was an infant. Holding the baby nose to nose, Dan put his son-in-law at ease.

"You have the best two dads in the whole wide world." Dan kissed the baby on the nose and then handed him back to John.
"I wonder if dinner's ready. This child has made me work up an appetite." As Dan stood up to lend a hand in the kitchen, he ruffled John's hair. Both John and Bobby were beginning to relax.

After dinner, Little Red was cleaned up, in a fresh sleeper and laid down in his crib. Steve and Claire thought it was a good time to tell the family their news.

"I'd like to have everyone's attention if I may," Claire began. "Last night Steve proposed to me."

"And Claire has made me the happiest man by saying yes." Steve held up Claire's hand to show off the ring which she now wore.





John and Bobby closed the door behind the last of their guests. John heaved a loud sigh.

"It was nice of everybody to come over and help us with dinner," John said. "But I'm glad they're gone. I'm exhausted."

"It wasn't your fault, John," Bobby said giving his partner a hug.

"I have never been so scared in all my life. I couldn't imagine having to tell you that something had happened to our son. I really thought he might be seriously ill, and I was here by myself … and I didn't know what to do," John almost sobbed feeling all the fear and uncertainty of a few hours ago flood through him.

"You did know what to do, John. You called your mother and you took the baby to the hospital. Everything turned out fine."

"I know, but I'm afraid to be here with him by myself."

"Don't say that. He loves you and needs you and I'd rather he be with you than anyone else."

"Even more than Rachel?" John asked needing more reassurance. His eyes were bright with unshed tears.

"You're Patrick's parent, not Rachel. Patrick needs you."

"Thank you for saying that. I was going to stay home with him tomorrow. Do you think I should?"

"Absolutely."

"I love you, Bobby."

"And I love you. Now let's go to bed while junior's asleep. We need to get a few hours before he wakes up."

"I could go for that," John admitted with a big yawn.

As they undressed, John had to ask. "So what do you think about mother and Steve?"

"I think it's about time," Bobby declared.

"I wonder what this new wrinkle will mean in our lives," John mused. "Maybe she won't want to baby-sit anymore."

"I can't see Claire not wanting to spend time with her only grandson."

"True, but Steve might keep her busy."

"Like I'm going to keep you busy right now?"

"God, I hope not. Oooh, I don't want that image in my brain. She's my mother."

"Sorry, lover, come here and I'll fuck it all away."

John smiled as he fell into his husband's arms. He felt safe and not so scared anymore.




"Brian, calm down."

"You're sure he's all right? There's no need for him to be taken to a specialist or a bigger, better equipped hospital."

"Patrick's fine," John tried to assure his brother.

"Why didn't you call me?"

"You couldn't have done anything. We looked after it."

"You should have called. We could have driven right over."

"Brian, you're queening out, and that's usually my job."

"Sorry, bro', but he's so little and so cute and I don't want anything to happen to him."

"And you think we do?"

"Of course, not, but you know what I mean."

"He's fine. He's sleeping right here in my arms. The rash has almost disappeared and his temperature is normal."

"That's good," Brian said drawing a deep breath and calming down for the first time since John had called to tell him about the baby and the roseola.

"Little Red is going to grow up to look just like his daddies, aren't you, sonny boy?" John cooed to his son.

"You're just too precious for words, big bro'."

"I'll take that as the compliment I'm sure you intended it to be."

Brian chuckled. "Yes, John."

"You just wait until you and Justin have one and then you'll see what it's like."

"Me and Justin?"

"Don't tell me you two have never discussed the possibility of having children?"

"Well, no, we haven't," Brian admitted with a frown. That topic had never really come up. He had Gus and that seemed to be enough.

"Don't you think Justin might want a child? You have Gus."

"Jesus, John, I'm getting married in a couple of months. Can we leave the prospect of a child for a little later in our relationship?"

John laughed. "You've been together for ten years. It's hardly early in the relationship."

"Well, fuck! It's only the last couple of years that I've been able to admit that I'm in a relationship."

"True, I guess I was expecting a bit much."

"Anyway, I'm happy everything worked out with Little Red. Tell Bobby he has the best looking and smartest partner in the
whole world."

"Is that because we look so much alike?" John chuckled.

"Maybe," Brian smirked. "I better go. I'm looking at Justin's latest ideas for decorating the new Kinnetik."

"I bet they're spectacular."

"Damn right! That partner of mine is one talented fella."

"Make sure you tell him that occasionally," John laughed.

"I do," Brian admitted, but he resolved to say it more often.

"I'll talk to you later," John said.

"Later."

Brian hung up the phone. He had some thinking to do. He had never even contemplated the possibility of him and Justin having a child. But now the thought had been planted, maybe he needed to discuss it with a certain blond. He knew how much John and Bobby loved their son. He loved being with the little guy too. Could he and Justin follow the same route? Brian shook his head. Liberty Avenue would collapse into a heap of rubble if they ever found out what Brian fucking Kinney was thinking about at this very moment.