- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

Brian walked into Justin's studio at the cottage.  Justin had gone into town to get some more art supplies.  On the easel was the beginning of a new painting.  Brian could already see the potential.  Justin's work was amazing.  It never ceased to startle Brian just how good his partner was.

Having satisfied himself with checking out Justin's latest, Brian looked around the space picturing the beautiful brass bed front and center.  He wasn't sure this was truly the place to put their bed, but he could see why Justin wanted it there.  It would come in very handy.  Brian felt his dick twitch at the thought.

Brian tried to picture the screen that would block the bed from view if they were entertaining or wanted more privacy from the myriad of animals that frequented their backyard, including the big bullfrogs.  Brian gave an involuntary shudder.

Turning his thoughts to something more pleasant he ran through his brain all the preparations that had been made for their wedding.  They still had to go for the final fittings on their tuxes.  That was tomorrow.  He had arranged for the decorations and they seemed to be coming along nicely.  Everything would work out.  It had to.

Brian couldn't help but think about the last time he had made a grand gesture to Justin.  That had been when he had gone to Justin's prom and by being there and dancing he had claimed Justin as his own, had allowed all those present to see how much he cared about the boy, had bared his soul for all to see.  And what a disaster that had turned out to be.  It had almost cost Justin his life.  Brian's shudder this time shook him through and through.  He hated remembering that night, but he could never forget it.

Maybe he was making a big mistake getting married to Justin.  Everything had been so perfect since they had moved into the cottage.  The family had backed off and they got to spend lots of time together.  Their fucking was still phenomenal, and when they made love it was so tender and sweet.  Maybe they should just leave well enough alone and not tempt fate by taking this step.

Brian could see the angry gods who watched over Liberty Avenue rubbing their hands in glee.  They would be saying, "There goes that asshole Kinney.  He thinks he can have it all.  He wants to marry his twink and rub everybody's nose in the fact that he's happy and domesticated.  That's not for him.  He doesn't deserve it.  He should be satisfied with what he's got.  We'll just have to punish him to show him the error of his ways."

"Fuck!" Brian whispered.  Was that what was going to happen?  Maybe they should call this wedding thing off.  Maybe it was too much.  Maybe he didn't deserve this last step towards happiness and stability.  He had sinned too much in the past.  Maybe his mother's prognostications would be right, and he would burn in Hell.  But he didn't want to take Justin with him.

Brian ran a hand through his hair and tried to still his heart.  It was pounding in his ears.  He was having a fucking panic attack.  He needed Justin.  Where the fuck was he?  How long did it take to buy a few tubes of paint?  Was he flirting with that clerk, Mack or Morris or whatever the fuck his name was?  Brian felt his heart pounding even harder.

He pulled out his cell phone and hit Justin's number.  It rang twice before Justin answered.

"I need you," Brian whispered and hung up.

Justin stared at his phone.  He hadn't heard Brian sound like that for a long time.  He needed to get home.

"I have to go, Mal," Justin said quickly gathering up his tubes of paint.

"Sure," Mal replied.  "It was nice talking to you."  He handed Justin his receipt.

When Justin pulled up at the cottage twenty minutes later, he wondered what he would find when he opened the door.

Quickly he went inside calling Brian's name to no avail.  "Fuck, where is he?" Justin demanded of the empty house.  Then it hit him.

Justin grabbed some lube and a condom and headed out the sliding door from his studio.  He made his way down to the stream where he could see Brian sitting on the big rock.  He smiled knowing that he and Brian would always find each other.  Now all he had to do was fix whatever had happened to make Brian sound so desperate on the phone.

"Hey," he said as he approached.

Brian looked around but he didn't say anything.  Justin could see the pain in his eyes as he sat down beside his lover.

"Did something happen?" Justin asked.  Brian shook his head, but let himself be pulled into Justin's arms.  "Tell me what's wrong," Justin said gently.

"I … I got thinking…"

"Not good thoughts, I guess," Justin encouraged him.

"Maybe we should call off the wedding."

"Why?" Justin asked trying to keep his voice level and not reveal the panic that Brian's words had caused.  He could tell that Brian was hurting.

"We might be tempting fate once too often," Brian whispered against Justin's neck.  They were holding onto each other for dear life.

"What makes you think that?"

"I was missing you," Brian said softly, "and I went into your studio.  Your painting is beautiful."

"Thanks," Justin said glad that Brian seemed a little calmer.

"I was picturing the brass bed in there, and then I thought about the wedding, and making this grand gesture in front of all of fucking Liberty Avenue, and it reminded me of…"

"The prom," Justin filled in for Brian.  So this was what was wrong.

Brian nodded.  "Look what that caused.  I don't want anything to happen to you," Brian gulped.  It was almost a sob.

"Nothing's going to happen to me.  We deserve to be happy."

"Yes, we do, you do!  But what if it's not meant to be.  I … I couldn't stand something like that again."

"You won't have to.  This time will be different.  We'll be surrounded by our friends and family and people that love us.  Nothing's going to happen."

"How can you be sure?" Brian asked sitting up so he could look into Justin's eyes.

"I've never been surer of anything in my whole life.  I love you, Brian, and I know you love me.  How can that be bad?  Why would anything bad come out of us pledging that love to each other?"

"I don't know," Brian said in a strangled voice.

"That's because nothing bad is going to happen.  We're going to be happy."

"But we're happy now.  I'm happy.  Are you happy, Justin?"

"Absolutely.  I love our home and my career and most of all I love you."

"I love you too."

"Then make love to me, Brian."

"Here?"

"Right now," Justin said pulling out the supplies he had brought.  "Prove to me how much you love me.  Together we can do anything.  You don't have to be afraid."

"When you're here I'm never afraid."

"I'll always be here," Justin declared.

"It's a good job you're so much younger.  I can go first."

Justin was about to tell Brian that was a stupid thought when he caught the twinkle in Brian's eye.  He knew everything was going to be all right.

"I see you're feeling better," Justin observed with a smile.

"A bit."

"Take this and I'll make you feel even better," Justin promised handing the lube to Brian.  He stood up and slid his jeans down and off.  He leaned against the rock sticking his glorious ass up and wiggling it suggestively in front of Brian.

Brian let out a long groan as he felt his dick harden.  He squirted lube into Justin's twitching hole and started to finger fuck him.

"Did you miss me while you were gone?" Brian asked as Justin moaned and pushed back.

"What do you think?" Justin panted.

"I think you always miss me."

"I do."

"How was Morris?"

"Who the hell is Morris?" Justin asked looking over his shoulder.

"You know, the guy at the art supply store."

"You mean, Mal."

"Yeah, I guess," Brian agreed suiting up his dick and spreading lube along his length.

"Morris is just fine, but nowhere near as good as you."

"Right thing to say, Sunshine," Brian gasped as he drove home.

The rhythm that was so specially theirs took over and they soon found mutual release.  Brian pulled Justin against him and held him tight while they came down from the orgasmic high.

"So, you still think we should get married?" Brian asked.

"If you don't make an honest man out of me this time, Brian Kinney, I am going to haunt you for the rest of your life."

"That's what I'm counting on, married or not."

"Is the queen out over."

"Yeah, I guess.  I just got a little … scared."

"It's a big step … for anybody."

"But especially for the stud of Liberty Avenue."

"Especially for him," Justin agreed.

"We can do this, can't we!"

"Yes, we can."

"Then put your jeans back on and we'll go make some more plans."

"That's the man I know and love," Justin laughed as he slipped back into his jeans.
"Thank you for coming back here so fast."

"I'll always come when you call, Brian."

"I'm counting on it."



*****


It was a few more days to go before the BIG day. All of Liberty Avenue was abuzz with activity and with gossip. Brian decided to close the club after Wednesday so that the preparations could be done without interference. But knowing how quickly fags can forget, Brian and Carl had a re-opening campaign all set for the following Monday and then a bigger one for the following Friday. Brian had a lot of people counting on him and the income that Babylon produced. He didn't want anyone to forget that Babylon was the hottest club in Pittsburgh.

At the diner, Emmett sat in a booth going over the plans. At this point only the principal players had any idea of how the ceremony was going to be done. Emmett was dying to talk about it but fearing the wrath of Kinney he knew to keep his mouth shut.

"Emmett, old pal, how's it hanging?" Teddy came in for lunch and thought he could get his best friend to reveal the big secret.

"A little low and to the left. And I know what you're trying to do and it won't work. Unlike some of us, I value my life." Quickly changing the subject, Emmett asked about Ted and his boyfriend.

"Sooo, Teddy, are you bringing Allen to the wedding?"

"Yes, I am. And he promised to dance me around all night long."

"Oooo, how romantic! How long has it been?"

"I guess we've been together now for about a year. Pinch me, I still can't believe it sometimes. OW! Hey, watch it Deb." Debbie had brought the boys coffee and gave Ted a little pinch.

"Quit your bitching. I think it's nice that you finally found your Mr. Right. Maybe you two can have a double wedding one day!" Debbie cackled then went off to pick up some more Pink plate specials, her gum smacking loudly.

"You know, Em, I can't believe you're still living in the same house with that woman."

"Oh, Ted, you know she's harmless. And Sam and I have been thinking about finding a place of our own but we haven't found the right place yet. I wonder if Brian would rent his loft to me."

"In your dreams."

"But they're not using it. All that space going to waste. And that kitchen, I could really use that kitchen. Can you talk to him for me?"

"Me? Talk to Brian about his loft? I'm not that brave or that stupid. But, um..."

"What? You know something don't you? Tell me!"

"Well Jennifer and I ran into each other the other day. She and Molly were shopping for their dresses..."

"Ooo, I bet they'll look fabulous..."

"I'm sure, but she did drop a hint that Brian's building may be up for sale."

"Oh no, does that mean he'll be evicted?"

"No, but apparently a few of the tenants have decided to do the suburban thing, and the building was getting too much for the present owner to handle. It is so close to the business district, not very family friendly."

"True but it is queer friendly."

"That's what Jennifer thought too."

"I see where you're going with this. Brian has been expanding lately, businesswise, I mean. That man hasn't gained a pound in all the years I've known him. Bitch. So, have you pitched the idea to the big guy yet?"

"Not yet, I figure he has a lot of things going on right now. But Jennifer and I have been talking and I contacted the management company. They're in no rush and when I told them that Brian may want first refusal they jumped at it. They know that Brian would give them a fair price."

"But what does this have to do with me?"

"The first floor has a vacant apartment. They haven't been actively looking for a tenant. Jennifer said it's practically all kitchen. Very modern appliances."

"OOOO!"

"Emmett, that's way too gay."

"Hey, if you have flames, I say let them burn. So when will you know?"

"Brian and Justin will be here tomorrow and stay until they leave on their honeymoon. Shit, honeymoon, can you believe that?"

"You know something, I never believed in miracles before but now I believe. I really believe. So, you going to pitch Brian the idea?"

"Yes, he's going to be at Kinnetik tomorrow for a while to finalize a few things for both offices. Jennifer is going to meet me there."

"Need help with Brian?"

"It doesn't hurt to have back up. Besides, Brian likes Jennifer."

"He better. It's not nice to piss off your mother-in-law."

Ted and Emmett shared a laugh and continued with their lunch. Change and growth was definitely in the air. Good changes for all.

Michael came in to pick up lunch and saw Ted and Emmett huddled together and laughing. There was a time when he would have been included, on the phone if not in person. He sat at the counter waiting for Debbie to bring him his sandwich.

"Hey, Ma."

"Hi, honey. Here's your lunch. Meatloaf sandwich and I put some gravy on the side, oh and a lemon bar."

"Thanks, Ma. What are they up to?"

"I guess they're talking about the wedding."

"Wedding. Humph. It's a farce. They'll never have what me and Ben have. At least it's legal in Canada."

"Michael, honey, you know I love you but sometimes you make as much sense as a pound of prosciutto. Brian and Justin are getting married, whether it's legal or not, they're making a big step. Can't you just be happy for them?"

"I guess so. I'll try."

"Good boy. Now take your sandwich and get back to work. I'll see you later."

"Okay, bye, Ma."

"Bye, honey." Debbie stood shaking her head. There were times that she wished Michael had at least half the sense Brian had. Oh well, as long as everyone was happy, it didn't matter how they got there. Debbie and the rest of Liberty got back to work.


*****


"Bri?"

"In the studio."

"What are you doing in here?"

"Just taking another peek at your masterpiece."

"And?"

"It's wondrous as usual."

"Thank you, I think. Something's up."

"I'm always up around you, you know that."

"No, I mean you have a funny look in your eye."

"Just picturing the brass bed in here. I'm still not sure about it."

"I thought you liked the idea."

"I did when you were talking about it. But I wasn't at my best at the time."

"What are you talking about? Not at your best, what the fuck does that mean?" Justin was getting a little pissed at his husband to be.

"Well, I was basking in the afterglow of you fucking me silly. You could have requested a bunch of dancing girls and I would have agreed to it."

"Brian, I don't want a bunch of dancing girls. Just my bed, that you bought for me. Here. Gleaming in the afternoon sun. With my lover lying on it, in all his naked glory. And me fucking him silly."

"Well, when you put it that way. How can I refuse?"

"So you agree?"

"I agree."

"So, when we get back from our honeymoon, we bring the bed here."

"Yes, Justin."

"Well, okay then. Just as long as you agree. I wouldn't want you to do anything you don't want to do."

"I won't."

"Good. Now help me pack for our trip."

"Yes, Justin."

"And no more talk about beds or dancing girls."

"No, Justin."

"Good. You know I'm right, don't you?"

"Yes, Justin."

"Good, now let's get packing."

"Yes, Justin."

"Sometimes you exasperate me, you know that, Kinney. I think you like making mountains out of molehills..."

Brian hid the smirk and the rolling of his eyes as he let Justin go on and on. Sometimes it was better that he was known to be the strong silent type. And a lot healthier for himself that way. Brian also knew that he'd never get a word in edgewise or the last word for that matter. So he followed his partner to their room and helped Justin to pack, carefully guiding the boy in making the right choices for their trip. After all, this was Brian Kinney going to Greece and with the best looking partner a man could have. It wouldn't do if a stray pair of cargo pants managed to get in their suitcases. Okay, maybe one pair of cargo pants. Brian Kinney may be crazy but he certainly wasn't stupid. Brian also knew that Justin was right; the brass bed would look perfect, gleaming in the sun porch. And he could imagine all of the lovemaking. Brian drew Justin into his arms and kissed him thoroughly.

"What was that for?" Justin said when his breath returned.

"That was for the most wonderful partner a man could ever want."

Justin beamed and became speechless. He kissed Brian and happily went back to packing. Brian knew exactly how to get the last word in, in his relationship with Justin.