- Text Size +

 

 

CHAPTER 11: BANKRUPT


PRADA INC.

NEW YORK CITY


“So you have made an appearance, which means your illustrious employer cannot be far behind,” Cesare entered his wife’s office, scowling.


“Nice to see you, too,” Daphne responded wryly at the man. “Although, I think it wise that Justin had me come beforehand to explain the circumstances. It isn’t what you are being led to believe, Sir.”


“Be that as it may, no circumstance can justify what young Justin is doing to his father.”


“Cesare, sit down and SHUT UP!” Donatella interjected, before Daphne was forced to tell him just what she thought of his reasoning. “Chaz and I have spent the last hour in conversation with Daphne, being filled in on all the surrounding issues concerning Craig and Justin. As I’ve told you, you are so focused on being right  that you forget we know what kind of man Justin has grown to be.”


“Non mi interessa quale sia il ragionamento, la famiglia dovrebbe restare unita. E a proposito di ciò, non dovresti parlarmi in quel modo!" (I do not care what the reasoning is, the family should remain united. And speaking of that, you should not talk to me like that!)



“Beh, se tu non fossi un tale idiota, non ci sarebbe ragione per me. Togliti le paraorecchie metaforiche e fatti notare che il padre NON lo sa meglio!” (Well if you weren't such an unmitigated jackass, there would be no reason for me to. Take off the metaphorical earmuffs, and get your head around the fact that Father does NOT know best!)


“Mother, Father, PLEASE remember that we have guests!” Chaz exclaimed before turning to Daphne. “I’m sorry that you had to witness this difference of opinion. Contrary to looks at the moment, they really do love each other.”


“Of course, they do, Chaz,” Daphne responded, laughing. “My mother used to call my father an unmitigated jackass whenever he was being unreasonable, too. Although, she usually followed it up with a flying shoe to hit him. I just learned to duck and run for cover. Signor D'aCampo, se mi permetti di chiarire alcune cose, forse otterrai una migliore comprensione della situazione nel suo insieme.”


“Yes, let her! Ceasare, you really do NOT know best right now. You should allow Daphne, or even better yet, Justin, to give you all the facts before you jump to Craig Taylor’s defense. In fact, while we wait for Justin, why not watch the press conference you surely missed while you were airborne. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how it was and is being handled. And afterwards, Daphne can tell you the whole story if Justin has not arrived by then,” Donatella told him.


Pouring him a cup of coffee and sitting him down, Donatella loaded the press conference as broadcasted by CNN. Like it or not, this was big news in their world, and affected their business relationship with Winston, Incorporated. Cesare and Donatella prided themselves on remaining scandal free, both within their public personas and their personal lives, and demanded the same from their children. Consequently, they oft disassociated themselves from companies, who weren’t willing to lead their lives in the same manner. This situation with Craig Taylor was jeopardizing that.


“How does Brian Kinney fit into all of this?” Cesare asked, after the press conference closed out.


“Apparently, he and Justin have a relationship of sorts,” Donatella said, noncommittally.


“Well as publicists go, he chose well to go with Kinnetik.”


“Although true, that wasn’t exactly what I meant.”


“You don’t mean…”


“I don’t know, but it is possible. From what Daphne has told me, they met a few days ago and have been- how do you say?- joined at the hip ever since.”


“Is that going to be a problem for you, Chaz?” Cesare turned to look at his eldest son. He was well-aware of the feelings that the young man had for Justin Taylor. It broke his heart that Chaz’s feelings were not returned. For the most part, Justin would have been an excellent addition to the DeCampo family.”


“I’m fine, Father. Although I am a little disappointed, he’s chosen well if indeed they are in a relationship. I can’t fault Brian Kinney for moving fast to snatch Justin up. He is a catch.”


“We don’t know that it’s really the case as of yet, only that they have been hanging out together,” Daphne soothed before clearing her throat. “Either way, Signore DeCampo, I think it’s time you’re told the real reason for the contention between Craig and Justin.”


“I’ll take it from here, Daph,” Justin entered the office accompanied by Brian, Ted, Cynthia, and Donovan. “Signore e Signora D’aCampo, è un piacere rivederti entrambi, anche se in queste circostanze non piacevoli. Permettimi di presentare il mio staff …”

(Mr. and Mrs. DeCampo, it's a pleasure to see you both again, even if under these less than pleasant circumstances. Allow me to introduce my staff...)


“Ah, no introduction necessary. How are you Brian, Cynthia, and Ted?” Donatella crossed the room to them. “Imagine my surprise upon discovering that we share a friend in common.”


“Donatella, as lovely as always. Justin and I met a few days ago, although I just learned his last name this morning.”


The light of laughter entered her eyes. “Ah, you’ve been a bad boy, haven’t you, Brian?”


“Sì, e se mi permetterà di dirti quanto male, mi meriterò sicuramente una sculacciata più tardi (Yes, and if he'll allow me to tell you just how bad, I'll certainly deserve a spanking later)..." he answered, raising his eyebrow and causing the older woman to laugh.

 

“You’re already due several spankings, Brian. I’ll be happy to add this one to the ever-growing list.” Justin smirked. “In the meantime, I believe that Cesare and I need to come to an understanding forthwith.” He looked to the older man, who nodded his head imperceptibly at Justin’s words.


“Perhaps we should get comfortable within my office for this conversation, Justin?”


“Indeed we should, but I would like Brian to accompany me.”


“What? You don’t trust me?”


“It’s not that, Cesare. I’ve always enjoyed our relationship, both business and personal. But I want to do this as I mean to go on, and that includes having full disclosure with my publicist and friend.”


They left Donatella’s office, walking down the hall and entering the elevator to travel one floor up. Alighting from the all glass enclosure, they entered Cesare’s palatial office. Brian stood in awe of his surroundings. Unlike Donatella’s office, which bespoke of comfort and luxury, Cesare’s gave the feeling of being completely outside, while overlooking the New York skyline. The triple-paned windows were devoid of drapery of any kind, but protected from the high winds the city was known for.

 

It was as silent as a tomb as he continued to study the chrome and white furnishings, even as Cesare continued to boot up things around him, including the marble fireplace that graced the sitting area.


“I take it you’re in awe of what you see, Mr. Kinney?” Cesare said, a smirk to his lips.


“More than you know. I have to admit that if I was ever inclined to move my offices to New York, this would be the type of office I’d want.”


“It behooves me to use Donatella’s office when we have meetings and such, so that she is always comfortable in her surroundings. When she doesn’t want to be bothered, or needs to cool off from heated arguments, she uses this space as her oasis. It’s why very few people know of it. As for me, it’s decorated to my specifications. Class, glass, and chrome are all I need to feel at home while here at work.”


They moved over to the leather sectional at the far end of the room. Justin, already knowing where everything was, made the coffee while Cesare and Brian were settling in on the sofa and conversing about the upcoming fall campaign for Prada’s line. Listening attentively, the young man was once again in awe of Brian’s business acumen. Only this time, it was in reference to the advertising portion of Kinnetik’s business. Once again, he couldn’t help but be gratified that he’d made a damn good choice aligning himself with Brian Kinney and his associates.


“So, tell me why you feel that cutting Craig off is the right thing to do,” Cesare demanded, as Justin finished serving them and took his seat.


Justin bristled at Cesare’s opening, but cleared his throat and reined in his temper. He didn’t want this meeting with the head of one of his largest accounts to become unnecessarily contentious, but he wanted to make his stance on the shenanigans of Craig Taylor clear.


“It’s not that I feel it is the right thing to do, but that it is. Based on what he and Arnold have done so far, you cannot tell me that you wouldn’t have done the same thing if someone was trying to sabotage your business relationships. The fact that the man in question and I share DNA is of no consequence.”


“Bullshit, Justin! I can’t imagine that I would ever have to write-off my sons in the manner in which you have done your father.”


“Be that as it may, my decision to do so will stand,” Justin mutinously stated. He took another calming breath. “Cesare, you have to understand my position. This decision was not made lightly, nor is it just because I am angry with Craig. It’s been a long time coming, since before I even inherited from both my grandfathers. Craig began his campaigns against me back when I was a teenager.”


“So this is a vendetta?”


“No. But I won’t deny that I’m taking satisfaction in the fact that he has fucked with me for the last time without me fighting back.”


“Justin, I beg of you to think of what you are doing. I don’t want to have to end our relationship, business or otherwise, because I cannot condone what you are doing regarding your own flesh and blood. You know how I feel about family!”


“Yes, I do. And believe it or not, I feel the same way. Which, in essence, is what this is all about.”


“Justin, you need to tell him all of it in order for him to understand,” Brian interjected. He knew that Justin was trying to protect his entire family, even Craig to a degree, by remaining silent. But if he was going to retain the very lucrative contract of Prada, Inc, he could no longer hold onto his ideals in this situation. “Give him all of the information, including the dark parts you don’t want him to know, and see how Cesare feels about it afterwards. It’s the only way Cesare will be able to make an informed opinion, not just one based on conjecture and a belief that your father is being unjustifiably maligned.”


Justin sat for a few moments, and thought about what Brian had said. Originally, he had thought to come up here and just lay out the facts of what Craig has done lately. But upon hearing and processing what Brian said, he knew that he had to give Cesare everything. That included the things that Justin really didn’t want to talk about; the things that even Brian didn’t yet know. He sighed, resigning himself to what he knew he had to do for all their sakes.


“In order for you to understand why I am the way I am in reference to Craig, you have to know where this all began. To say that my father is one of the most spiteful, greedy and hateful men walking the planet would be giving a compliment.”


“I’m sure you have to be exaggerating. Whenever I met with him, he was always gracious.”


“Of course he was, Cesare. You have something he’s always wanted besides your business.”


“And what’s that?”


“Power. You have major influence, not only within the largest fashion houses, but with people in general. They listen to you and trip over themselves to do your bidding.”


“You don’t.”


Justin laughed. “Indeed, that’s true. I’ve been groomed and raised to be a ruler; to have complete control, and handle it well. Although, Craig and I shared a similar upbringing through my grandfather, J.J., that’s where the similarities between us end. Whereas both of my grandfathers, Alfred and J.J., taught me to be fair-minded and that having money is a privilege not be squandered, Craig ignored that lesson entirely. His sole purpose in life is acquisition. Now whereas that is not an unworthy trait to have, it is when the people around you becomes pawns to get it. I could handle the unnecessary beatings that came to me from his hands. But when he used my sister, Molly to get what he wanted, I drew a very BIG line in the sand. He’s steadily been trying to erase it. Or more accurately, pretend that it doesn’t exist. But this time he crossed it, beginning with his latest arrest and ending with you.”


“I never quite understood why Alfred put you in charge of his company. It’s not that I didn’t, or don’t think you can handle it. I do. But it just seemed like such an awesome task to place on your young shoulders. I suppose what you’re going to tell me played a huge part in all of this?”


“Quite. Many don’t know it, but Daphne and I were teenage parents. Our son was born with a heart defect, and passed away shortly after his first birthday.”


“I’m sorry to hear that,” Brian murmured. He couldn’t believe, knowing all he knew about Justin so far, that he’d experienced something so traumatic and still maintained his sanity. He didn’t think he could have done the same in reference to Gus.


“Thanks, but we’re better now. He would have been ten yesterday.”


“Why didn’t you tell me?”


“I’m telling you now.” Justin gave him a small smile to negate the harshness of his answer. “Anyway, unlike Daphne’s parents, who at least had a modicum of sympathy for both of us, Craig gloated and laughed that it was my punishment for being a gay man and Daphne’s for being a whore.”


Cesare gasped. “He said that?!”


“Indeed he did, and as many times in as many public venues as he dared afterward. To say that my grandfathers were angry would be an understatement. It resulted in them taking immediate measures to pass him over for inheritance. Consequently, I was already being groomed to take over since Craig had already proven himself to be unstable, even if most of his shenanigans were kept quiet. Before Daphne and I experienced the loss of our son, I had already made my first million within the video game community, and through making sound investments. I showed the initiative needed for succes, even before grandfathers J.J. Taylor and Alfred Winston took me under their wings to take me further. I took our legacy seriously, whereas Craig would have used it as his personal piggy-bank and playground. But that still wasn’t the full extent of our problems. That actually came in the form of a sexually-confused young man with a major hard on for me, but being forced to marry my sister at all costs.” Justin then relayed all the events leading up to the hasty annulment, and sudden disappearance of Christopher Marc Hobbs.

 

“To sum it up, Cesare, Craig is a menace to my family; he’s a menace to the legacy of the Taylor and Winston brands and most importantly, he’s a menace to himself. I cannot, in good conscience, allow him to wreck the houses that my grandfathers built, simply because he cannot get over his spite and jealousy of me. I cannot allow him a means to control my mother and sister again, in any capacity. And if that means that I lose you as a friend and client, then so be it. You always preach that family is important, well I’m protecting mine in all facets. I will not apologize for that!”

 

~AC~

WESTIN HOTEL

NEW YORK CITY


While the team members of Kinnetik and Prada were hashing out the details of their contract, Mel was at the hotel having a meltdown. Thankfully, Gus was asleep in the bedroom, while she stayed on the couch. Emmett had gone out to make sure they had enough clothes, and toiletries to get then through all of next week. She still wasn’t sure what she was going to do, even after already deciding to divorce Lindsay. It was very telling that she didn’t feel the least bit sad for the end of her marriage.

 

For so many years, she’d questioned what she was doing with Lindsay Peterson. It wasn’t just her obsession with Brian that made her doubt Lindsay, but just the overall character of the woman she knew. At first, Lindsay was caring, loving even, and attentive. They would sit and talk for hours about everything and nothing. They had fun doing little romantic things, like taking walks, catching a movie, or whatever else took their fancy.

 

The problems came when they were discussing one of their friends, who had just had a child with her poly-partners. Tracy was involved with Isaac and Stephanie. Basically she had the best of both worlds, and there was no jealousy among them. For whatever reason, Lindsay took the idea into her head that the same could work for her and Brian where Lindsay was concerned. And so the quest for Gus began.


Mel couldn’t have been happier than when Brian refused. Over and over again he said ‘no’ to Lindsay’s pleas. And where Brian would just ignore her, Michael’s whine would jump in, loudly proclaiming that Brian was never going to be father material, so her uterus was just going to have to go to a sperm bank. She still didn’t know why or how it happened, but suddenly Brian said yes, and nine months later Gus was born. Looking back on it, she supposed that it was Michael’s very vocal and opinionated doubt in him that broke Brian’s resolve, instead of Lindsay’s constant flattery.

 

But now, whatever it was, she is glad for it. Brian had proven himself to not only be an amazing father to Gus, but a good friend to her, even when he had no reason to be. Hearing the lock in the door go off, Mel rushed into the bathroom to wash her face. She knew that there would be too many questions that she wasn’t quite sure how to answer. Hell, one question right now would be too much!

 

Splashing water on her face, Mel tried her best to get herself together.


“Mel? Mel, where are you?”


She sighed, as she continued to stare at herself in the mirror. She wished that she could blame her current state solely on hormones. But she knew that no matter how much she tried to cover it up, they would all be able to see her sadness. It wasn't even really sadness for her marriage; it was because of the need to start over. But how does one really explain that without it being misconstrued as something else entirely?

 

Resigning herself to what was obviously meant to be, she called back. “I’m in here, Em. I’ll be out in a moment.”


“Well hurry, Darling. The food is hot and I want you to be able to eat it that way. Lord knows, I do not need Big Bad coming down on me for you becoming a microwave mama more than you ought to.”


She snickered, and came out to find him bustling around the dining room area, preparing to take everything outside to the terrace of the suite. He was humming some little ditty that was almost unrecognizable, until he got to the chorus of the song. As he belted out, ‘I will survive. I will survive! Oh as long as I know how to love I know I’ll stay alive,’ she couldn’t help the tears that began to stream down her face. The lyrics to the song just hit differently today than it did in the past. Em looked over to her, and wordlessly walked over to place his arms around her.

 

“Sugar, I want you to listen to me, and hear me well. Lindsay, for you, is no great loss. For many years, we’ve all sat silent at times, watching her systematically destroy the Melanie Marcus that we’d first met. It’s what she does, Honey. I won’t say that it’s what she’s been taught because we all have been taught things, but choose whether or not to continue in that vein when we get to be adults. Lindsay made her choice and as a result, she’s not only losing Brian and Gus, but a woman who loved her beyond all reason. So pick yourself up, celebrate the end of your indecision, and like the Glorious Ms. Gloria Gaynor, don’t only survive Honey, but LIVE!!”


“How do I do that, Em?”


He smiled that wide, open-hearted smile he always had in reserve for her. “Well first, we dance ourselves over to the terrace and get you fed. Then we get you dressed to the pregnant nines to meet Big Bad and Blond Baby for dinner. No one should sacrifice style for comfort, so no more of this mu-mu nonsense! A heifer you are NOT! You are a vibrant woman, glowing and growing with new life, not a brood mare! And finally, we take this one moment at a time. If you can keep breathing through the moments, surely the days will get easier. My Aunt Lula taught me that when my family ousted me, and you know, she was right. I’m better right now than I’ve ever been; you will be, too.”


Taking her by the hand, he began his famous ‘Praise Jesus’ dance, and encouraged her to do the same, moving to his tuneless humming of the chorus ‘I Will Survive’. By the time they reached the terrace, Melanie was laughing through her tears… but they were no longer tears of sadness. They were tears of joy, borne of finally being free.  


~AC~

BIRCH STREET CAFE

PITTSBURGH


Ben and Hunter sat, listening in horror to what Michael and Lindsay continued to plan. The abject nerve of those two! It pissed both, Ben and Hunter, off to find out the depths that Lindsay and Michael were willing to go to in order to see Brian remain unhappy. True, Ben wasn’t always a fan of his former trick. But the one thing he could say about Brian Kinney, is that he never lied to him about his motives for doing anything.

 

And Brian also never sat in judgment about Ben’s life choices, the way Michael had. Although the censure wasn't always obvious, it was still there. The unflattering comments Michael often uttered, were usually hidden behind false smiles and seemingly-innocent innuendos. Whenever he was called on his meanness, he would follow it up with some kind of platitude, or a 'I didn't mean it like that'. But on the few occasions Ben had gone to Brian, he had given Ben solid advice, part of which led him to now being a father to the son of his heart.

 

“So what are we going to do, Dad?” Hunter asked, catching Ben off guard. Up until this moment, he’d just been ‘Ben’ to the young man. So it was with great effort that Ben held back tears at hearing the endearment, which fell so naturally from Hunter’s lips.


Clearing his throat, Ben rallied. “All we can do at this point, son, is continue to gather the information and filter it to Brian through Ted. Michael and Lindsay shouldn’t be allowed to get away with what they are trying to do to Mel and Brian.”


“So should we follow them like spies do in the movies?”


Ben laughed. “No, I don’t think that’s necessary, but we certainly can use Michael’s superhero complex against them.”


“How?”


“He calls himself Brian’s savior, but in reality, if that was the case he’d be staying as far away from Brian as humanly possible, since he’s toxic. So is Lindsay.”


“Glad you figured that out before he sucked the life out of you,” Hunter said wryly.

 

“Touche, youngster. Touche indeed.”


“I just never really understood why you were with him.” Hunter shrugged. “I mean, anyone could see that you and Michael had almost nothing in common. Love really isn’t that blind, is it? Because if it is, then I have to question it on every level.”


Ben heard exactly what Hunter was really asking. “Listen, Hunter… there really is no rhyme or reason, when dealing with romantic love. It's one of life's greatest mysteries. But the love from a parent to a child is different. Now, I know you have every right to question me and my motives for wanting you, especially given your history with Rita…”


“Yeah, it doesn’t exactly inspire blind faith.”


“Yes. She left you emotionally bankrupt. Sadly, Michael did the same thing to me, and Lindsay did the same thing to Mel. But the thing is that all of us have a chance to rebuild what they took from us. To not do so- to give up before we even begin to try- means they’ve won.”


“So we don’t. I don’t know about you, but I simply refuse to give the people who should have simply been swallowed the satisfaction. Poor Deb, though. I mean, she’s forever going to be linked to Michael. Whereas his father got a much deserved break from the whiner of the century.”


Ben laughed. “Though you’re right, I think Deb can more than handle it, don’t you?”


“Yeah, that is one tough broad. I was in the Diner when she handed Lindsay’s flat ass to her. It was the stuff of legends.”


“Well, I’m sure it was definitely well-deserved. But… oh shit, I can’t even believe she pulled this!”


“What?” Hunter asked, following the direction of Ben’s surprised gaze.


“What the hell is Nancy Peterson doing in here?”


“Guess we’re about to find out, since she’s heading over to the Twin Twits table.”


~AC~


“Lindsay, I don’t appreciate being summoned, especially to a place like… this,” Nancy sneered, as she pulled out her handkerchief to wipe the seat before sitting down.


“Sorry, mother, but in lieu of my conversation with Daddy this morning, I thought the club would be the wrong choice.”


“Yes, your father told me about your unfortunate run-in with the Taylor women this morning. More uppity shrews I have never met! You are being a fool to go after them, Lindsay. Why are you?”


Lindsay looked at her mother, with tears in her eyes as Michael looked on in shock. “They are taking everything from me, Mother. Well, not them, per se, but her fucking son is ruining my life!”


“Language, Lindsay. You must maintain your dignity at all times.”


“How can you expect that she would when we are being attacked by Brian’s latest piece of ass?!” Michael interjected.


Nancy looked dispassionately at the man she barely noticed when she’d sat down. She shook her head. To think that associating with this low-class person was what her daughter had been reduced to… she sighed. “Young man, I don’t know who you are…”


“Michael. Michael Novotny.”


“Nor do I care. This is a private conversation. And although you are at this table for whatever reason, you shouldn’t interrupt the conversation between my daughter and I unduly.”


“Look lady, this…”


“Again, in case you haven’t gotten it the first time, I don’t care. Now Lindsay, my advice would be to cut out this nonsense and come home. Harold is most anxious to get to know you, and if you have any chance of getting Gregory from the clutches of your unfortunate associations to be raised right…”


“Gregory?” Michael asked.


“Her son,” Nancy said, narrowing her eyes at being interrupted again.


“Gus, Mother. My son’s name is Gus.”


“Yes well, it can be changed immediately. Anyway, as I was saying, your best chance of fighting to regain control of him, his support accounts, and his trust funds, is to marry a well-off man. Lord knows your track record with Mel- such a manly name for a manly woman- was a waste of time. You could have been so much farther ahead in life, if you weren’t being rebellious. Oh well, I suppose it’s better late than never that you learned. I’ll expect you for dinner at six. And please, leave the monkey with the annoying voice at home. Better yet, drop him off at the nearest zoo or ASPCA,” she ordered, watching Michael scratch under his armpit. “It would be the humane thing to do.”


“Hey…!”


“I’ll be there, Mother. And perhaps you can tell me what you know about the Chris Hobbs situation?”


“Why would I want to talk about Christopher? He’s a disgrace, although you and he have that in common. Like you, he… well, that’s not to be talked about publicly,” she said, when she saw Michael’s ears perk up. She already couldn’t stand the little annoying man upon the short acquaintance; she’d be damned if she’d give any information about her family to benefit him. She’d caution Lindsay against doing the same, before she gave her any information. “Again, we’ll see you at dinner, Lindsay. Try to dress age-appropriate this time, and not as you are now. You look like a trollop, trying to be much younger than you are. Stripes and skintight pants are not to be wardrobe staples at your age, neither are those penny-loafers you are wearing. But I suppose that’s the influence of your former association, and the limited funds with which you have been living these past few years. But there must be something in your wardrobe that’s at least a little more acceptable style-wise.”


“Mother…”


“Don’t bother asking her, Lindsay. I took away her credit cards when I found out she was meeting you.”


“Ronald!”


“Daddy, what are you doing here?”


“Confirming my suspicions on your mother’s inability to do what she’s been told. No way could she not involve herself in your problems, could she? Well the only thing I can do about it now is to reiterate my conversation with you Lindsay, to include your mother. If you both insist on going after Taylor in any form or fashion, you do it on your own without any of my financial assistance.”


“But Daddy….”


“Ronald, this is…”


“And that also includes going after Melanie Marcus or Brian Kinney, who apparently are considered very good friends of his.”


“What are you talking about? Justin is just another notch on the belt of Brian’s long list of conquests,” Michael sneered.


Ronald rolled his eyes at Lindsay's chronic complainer-in-arms. “And if you believe that... ANY of you, then you are even bigger fools than I thought. But do keep going in your quest to mess with any of them. You’ll end up broke, busted, and disgusted by the end of it all,” Ron said. “Now come along, Nancy. We have a dinner party to get ready for. I’m sure we’ll see you later, Lindsay, if for no other reason than to gather information. But I’ll warn you now, Harold has no interest in being your personal bank, so get the notion that he will fund your bullshit out of your head immediately. Nancy, do remember the pre-nup should you continue to aid your offspring.”


“But I’m your offspring too, Daddy,” Lindsay smirked.

 

“No, you’re not.” Both Lindsay and Nancy gasped at that revelation. “Nancy, I believe you’ll be hearing from the attorneys of Marcus Foxx’s estate soon. He’s on his deathbed, and decided to confess all of his sins. One of which included his secret love child with the woman I married, who gave birth to a very large premie a mere eleven months after Lynette was born. I played along for the sake of appearances, but there was always the suspicion, Nancy. So you’ll be hearing from my divorce lawyers tomorrow. But in the meantime, we’ll appear together for one last time in the home we shared. After all, appearances mean everything to you, don’t they dear? Make sure to smile and simper in all the appropriate places tonight. See you later, Lindsay.”

 

And chuckling, he ushered a stunned Nancy out of the cafe, even while his faux-daughter seethed at once again, being totally left in the dark and having her choices taken away from her. Well after tomorrow, all things Nancy and Lindsay Peterson would no longer be his problem. And he was just fine with that!