- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

 

 

No B and J in this chapter but this is the reaction to Brian spending the weekend with Justin. 

Happy Reading!!

 

CHAPTER 4- M.I.A.

 

Saturday Morning...

Michael stormed into the Diner early Saturday morning. He was determined to be there no matter what time Brian decided to show his face. Michael had already been to the loft and left pissed off when he found out that his key no longer worked. Brian wouldn't answer his phone calls. This was just plain fucking unacceptable especially after all the times that Michael had ditched his dates with Ben to be there for the man.

 

In short, Brian owed him his time!

 

He still couldn't believe that the man had him thrown out- BANNED- from Kinnetik while Ted stood there passively and watched. Michael had a few choice words in mind for him too. Ever since he started working for Brian, Ted had become more and more secretive. It was constantly appearing that Brian trusted Ted more than he had ever trusted Michael. It was time that Ted understood his place in Brian's life, and it was up to Michael to ensure that he did.

 

"Good morning, Baby. What are you doing here so early?" Emmett's soft voice greeted a silently fuming Michael.

 

"Oh hi, Em. How are things? What are you doing here?" Michael deflected. The last person he wanted to see right now was Emmett but he knew that he could do a lot worse than keeping company with the flamboyant man. "You look like you haven't slept all night. Everything okay?"

 

"Just peachy keen and fine and dandy. I had to give an overnight party after I left Babylon last night. The party didn't start until midnight and just ended about an hour ago. I thought that I would come and get something to eat so I could just go right home and crash."

 

"What the hell kind of party starts at midnight?" Michael shook his head. He would never understand why Emmett took crazy jobs instead of just getting a real one like everybody else. And he'd gone and dragged Uncle Vic into his bullshit! "My uncle didn't go with you, did he?"

 

Em shook his head. "No, I told Vic to sit this one out. Besides he and Rodney had made plans before the request for our services came through. He'll be happy to know it went well though. This morning they were all happy and we gained a new shoe-in for clientele."

 

"What the fuck?! How could you gain any new clientele from an all night orgy?" Michael shook his head, disgusted. That was just like Emmett...always thinking with his dick.

 

"Orgy? Who said anything about an orgy?" Emmett huffed. "I'll have you know Michael that I was handling a slumber party for the CEO of a Fortune 500 company. The reason the party began so late was because all of the WOMEN present, run their own successful companies and had their own responsibilities to tend to before getting on a plane to fly cross country to have their annual ‘Girls' Weekend.' This is the first time they are having it on U.S. soil for over a decade and my client wanted it to be extra special."

 

"And she hired you?" Michael laughed sardonically.

 

Emmett joined in the laughter, being just as sarcastic as the man sitting across the table from him. Then stopping the laughter as abruptly as it began, Em pasted a look of mock-innocence on his face, equipped with batting eyelashes and a wide smile. It was time to take the little sanctimonious prick down a peg or two, and gladly! So making sure that his sugary-sweet voice would carry across to all of the patrons in the filled Diner, he asked, "And how is your business going, Michael? I noticed the padlocks on the property yesterday as I was heading to the new facilities of HoneyGrass Elegant Creations."

 

Michael squinted his eyes at Emmett from across the table, the sudden laughter dying in his throat at the mention of his own failure. "That's not funny, Emmett! This is all Brian's fault."

 

Emmett was about to respond when he noticed the newcomer enter the diner. Waving madly, he called, "Yoo-hoo, Teddy. Over here."

 

Ted had thought for sure that Emmett would skip breakfast this morning. No doubt his best friend had to be exhausted after enjoying last night's festivities at Babylon, then leaving to cater the all-night slumber party of some of the most financially powerful women within the corporate sector across the globe. Kellie McQuaid had called him this morning to personally thank him for recommending HoneyGrass to her. Although he was happy to listen, it was far too early in the morning to hear about Emmett's success. Not that he wasn't happy for his best friend or Vic, but damn!

 

Slumber Interruptus! 

 

She had rung his phone at seven-thirty on the one morning per week that he always slept in. But after the stimulating phone call, Ted had given up on going back to sleep, deciding that he'd come into the Diner for an early breakfast. After that, he would happily answer the lure of cost projections, which always served as a surefire way to wake up. Many times over the years, the thrill of maximizing services without breaking the bank, but finding the tax breaks and increasing a profit margin acted as effective as a jolt of caffeine to his analytical brain. Working on the newest business venture for Kinnetik, and the possible expansion of Brian's baby was just the boost of energy Ted needed.

 

"Well if it isn't Benedict Arnold Schmidt," Michael sneered.

 

"And good morning to you too, Michael," Ted answered, sliding in next to Emmett. He leaned over and gave the man a kiss on the cheek in greeting. "I hear congratulations are in order, Em. Kellie McQuaid called me this morning singing your praises."

 

Emmett gushed. "Aw shucks, thanks Ted. But it really was a pleasure working for her. I'm sure that she, and the other ladies don't get to spend a lot of time to just be gal pals, instead of ruling their businesses with an iron-fist. So it was an absolute joy for me to help them all unwind. Oh, and speaking of businesses, Michael was just about to tell me why his shop's foreclosure was all Brian's fault. Do go on, Michael. Tell us why you feel that way."

 

Emmett knew he was starting shit, but at that point he couldn't care less! Michael was always a little bitch, never one to take responsibilities for his own actions. Instead, he would whine and complain so much and so loud that a coma was more appealing than staying conscious. Yet, while the rest of the gang had to take care of themselves, it was expected that they would all rally to repeatedly save his ass so that he could remain blameless in Deb's eyes. So for him to insult Emmett for having a successful career, while he sits there shifting shit to make his irresponsibility Brian's fault, wasn't going to be tolerated.

 

"Fuck you, Em. And you too, Ted. You just stood there and let Brian throw me out yesterday. What kind of friend are you?!"

 

Ted had replaced his coffee cup on the table, after taking a sip of the strong brew. He sighed, resigning himself to having to actually address this issue with Michael. Somehow, he remained in delusional hope that Michael may have seen the error of his ways in barging into Kinnetik with all the finesse of a bull within a china shop. But as usual, poor victimized Michael couldn't see anything past his own delusion of self-importance. Well it was time to put his behavior into perspective for him, even if it didn't do any good; at least he can't say that he wasn't told.

 

"I'm the kind of friend that has a certain loyalty and respect for the man, who is not only my friend, but also my boss. I'm the kind of friend that agreed with Brian's actions wholeheartedly, not only because he's my boss, but because he's my friend. Yesterday wasn't the first time that you'd come into Kinnetik with the sole purpose of being a miserable schmuck. It's just lucky for us that this time, our clients hadn't arrived for the meeting before you and Lindsay stormed into Kinnetik. And why? It was simply because, FOR ONCE, Brian told you both to handle your own problems as any adult would. The company is really busy, and we all have enough to deal with at the office as it is."

 

"That's no fucking excuse! I'm his best friend; he should make time for me."

 

"If you were truly his best friend, Michael, you would understand that he has a lot of people counting on him to do his job. People whose salaries he pays and look to him for guidance and leadership."

 

"And you've just become the head cheerleader in the Brian Kinney fanclub, haven't you, Ted? I remember a time when you couldn't stand the asshole," Michael retorted.

 

Ted nodded, suddenly ashamed and very weary of Michael's whining. "Yes, that's true, Michael. I couldn't see the man behind the myth. I was insecure and jealous, never realizing just how hard Brian worked to make himself a success. But once I started working for him, I got to see what others don't. A man who is hard, but fair; a man who is driven and expects no less out of those he associates with. It's always amazing to me that you laud about being Brian's ‘best friend' to all who would listen, but you really don't know the man. Why not just say it the way it really is? Brian is your best friend, but you are NOT his."

 

"How dare you?!"

 

"I dare very much, thank you for asking." Ted turned to Emmett then. "I take it that this latest temper tantrum has more to do with the fact that Michael couldn't get into the loft?"

 

Emmett's eyes widened at that news. "He couldn't? Michael, you couldn't get in this morning to berate Brian while he was still abed? Well that must be what burned your ass."

 

"Why would he do that? And then he isn't answering my calls..." Michael slammed his hand down on the table, before snatching it back just as quickly. As expected, he folded his arms across his chest, while effecting the same petulant pout he does when he's not getting his way. "I just want to fucking talk to him!" 

 

Seeing Michael in that state, Ted had a pretty good idea why Brian was avoiding Michael. "Well if it helps, Michael, Brian is unavailable this weekend. He's out of town."

 

Emmett looked at Ted closely. "You mean..."

 

"Yeah. Brian called me this morning after I got off the phone with Kellie. He said that he would be pretty much unavailable for anything, until the first meeting on Monday morning."

 

"WHAT?!" They were interrupted by the high-pitched screech from the other side of table. "He can't be out of reach until Monday! Does Lindsay know?" Michael complained.

 

"I don't know if she does, but I know that Mel does."

 

"Why would Mel know instead of Lindsay?"

 

"Perhaps because she is pregnant with the latest Kinney. If anything happens, Mel knows how to get in touch with Brian. And before you and Lindsay team up for whatever reason you are thinking, Michael, Brian has already spoken directly to Melanie. He told her that she'd better produce a body if she calls and says it's an emergency."

 

Emmett laughed. "I guess you will just have to try and solve your problems on your own, Mikey. It's hard being an adult isn't it?"

 

"Em, put your claws away now," Ted whispered, chuckling softly.

 

"I would, but..." Emmett rolled his eyes, before addressing the grown child mumbling to himself across the table from them. He sighed deeply, before saying, "Michael, my advice is that you talk to your husband."

 

"I can't." Michael whined, again.

 

"Why not?" Ted asked, genuinely curious.

 

"Ben threw me out. I found out that he went through with Hunter's adoption, which is why he couldn't give me the money to pay for the store. I was hoping that after Brian apologized to me for yesterday, he would let me stay with him."

 

Both Ted and Emmett laughed in response, and then harder at Michael's subsequent frown before Ted spoke. "Michael, if you're waiting for Brian to apologize for putting his business needs ahead of your own, you'll be waiting forever. He has nothing to apologize for. In fact, you owe him one. As far as you staying at the loft, forget it. Brian won't let you continue to interrupt his professional life, nor his personal one. He meant it yesterday when he said that it had to stop. You know how Brian is when he takes an idea into his head. If you're not careful, you're going to lose even the little bit of friendship you have left now."

 

"But he's my..."

 

"BEST FRIEND," Emmett finished for the whiny man, in the perfect tone Michael always used. He was so sick and tired of hearing that. Ted was right on the money with what he'd said about Brian and Michael's relationship. "Get over it, already! Brian is many things: your crutch, your excuse, but NOT your best friend. That title has already been filled... by YOU. And here's a bit more honesty for you, Michael. He is not going to have time for you the way he did when you were fourteen. I find it almost funny, yet tragic that when things were going right with you and Ben, you treated your best friend, Brian as if he was one of your action figures. He was put on the shelf of your life until you had need of him, or until you wanted your faithful playmate because you were bored and Ben was busy. Well with any luck, Brian is about to have a ‘playmate' of his own. So it's time you learn to deal with your own shit, and let Brian lead his own life! Are you ready, Teddy?" Emmett asked, ready to get away from the constant whine.

 

Ted shifted himself out of the booth, allowing Emmett to slide out behind him. Placing a gentle hand on Michael's shoulder, he waited until the man looked up at him. "Give some thought to what Emmett and I have said, Michael. The first thing you need to do is figure out how you want to live your life. Then figure out how to achieve that on your own."

 

As they moved off, Emmett could have sworn he'd heard Michael say that he was going after Brian. Emmett sincerely hoped that he was suffering from sleep-deficient delirium because if he wasn't, Michael's life was about to get a whole lot harder. He wasn't sure that his eardrums could handle that.

 

~AC~  

 

Melanie was in the kitchen, making her third cup of tea in as many hours. She was, once again, contemplating for the umteenth time the wisdom of carrying Brian Kinney's kid. She had been forced to do so more times than the law should allow, ever since finding out his sperm had taken root in her womb. The trip of it all was that these particular thoughts did not stem from the brunet, who had gotten on her nerves throughout the years more times than she could count. No, her latest source of mental contention came from none other than her own wife.

 

Lindsay had been an outright pain in the ass, since yesterday afternoon. When Melanie made the mistake of asking the tall blonde what her problem was, she had gotten an earful resulting in the headache that would not leave. Lindsay had once again involved herself with Michael's business, and this time it wasn't going to bode well for their own marriage. She had been idle before when Lindsay would join forces with Michael before in an effort to corner Brian. If Melanie was honest with herself- and she was- part of her felt that he should have to take the brunt of discontent Mel and Ben were feeling about their partners, since he seemed unwilling to put his foot down in reference to their constant stalking; thought he enjoyed Michael and Lindsay's attention, while basking in her and Ben's discomfiture. 

 

But these last few months had opened Melanie's eyes to a lot she hadn't been privy to, prior to being ordered on bedrest. 

 

Melanie knew all about the situation between the Novotny-Bruckner's, having handled all of the paperwork for Ben to adopt a former hustler, who entered the life of prostitution courtesy of his own mother. Michael had not been happy with Ben's decision, saying that he didn't trust Hunter. But Melanie hadn't bought the excuse. Melanie knew that, like Lindsay was with Brian and herself, Michael was afraid of his portion of Ben's money diminishing when the kid had immediate needs. Michael wasn't ready to become a parent, Ben was.

 

And even knowing that, Michael had entered into a long-term relationship with Ben. His opportunistic little ass said all the right things, while hoping he could change the professor's mind about children. But as always, when it was time to show and prove, Michael pouted and threw evey tantrum imaginable in the hopes that the inevitable wouldn't happen. And usually, it might have worked; hell, it worked more times than she could mentally calculate over the years. But this time, needless to say that Michael's plan to keep Ben all to himself, had not only failed spectacularly, but now it resulted in Ben ending the relationship as of yesterday morning.

 

As Lindsay was relaying all of this to Melanie, the attorney's phone rang. It was Ted, and Melanie automatically knew that it was a call that would get to the bottom Lindsay's problem. She listened intently as Ted outlined the latest stipulations in the agreement between she and Brian. Mel had agreed and signed the paperwork weeks ago, so there wasn't an identifiable issue with them. Well not until he mentioned what had happened at Kinnetik between Brian, Michael, and Lindsay earlier in the morning.

 

The ranting blonde's temper tantrum had been made all too clear then.

 

Lindsay was being denied immediate access to Brian's offices, which was something Brian had already done regarding his loft. She'd almost been tempted to dance naked when she found out he'd finally changed his locks; something she'd been hinting at him to do ever since she and Lindsay decided to have Gus. Brian, himself, had acknowledged it was past time he did, but he wanted to let her know since it affected how Gus, the new baby and Melanie would be able to reach him in an emergency situation. The locksmith had dropped the new key by the colonial she shared with Lindsay while the blonde was with Michael. Melanie was advised that while she had a key, Lindsay was not to know of it, and that she was to call Brian's new cell number before calling his regular phone so that he would know it involved the kids.

 

Melanie was surprised and grateful, even though she worried how this new development would affect her marriage. For years, Melanie had hated Brian. There was just something about him, which rubbed her the wrong way. But even as she stood listening to Ted fill her in over the phone amid Lindsay's mumblings, she began to wonder why. She couldn't understand why she allowed herself to make him into some Big Evil, when it was so obvious that Michael and Lindsay should have been casts in those roles.

 

It was apparent that Brian was prepared to take care of his children. Consequently, when the doctor put her on bedrest, the man's generosity had also extended to her via Ted. Her only orders were that Lindsay was not to know of the new arrangement, which involved a detailed expense report for any and all needs incurred while she was forced to stay home and after the new baby was born. Brian said that he would tell Lindsay when the time came for her to know. For her part, Melanie had found the arrangement to her liking, since Brian wasn't lording her circumstances over her the way she had expected he would.

 

In fact, it was very similar to the agreement she wanted to put in place for Gus from the very beginning; an agreement which Lindsay was completely against, citing that it would breed distrust among the three parents.

 

Melanie hung up the phone with Ted, without giving any indication of who she was listening to. Lindsay had continued her rantings, which became louder once the call was disconnected. She still couldn't believe that Brian had thrown his two ‘best friends' out of his office and ordered the security guard that they were not to be allowed back in. Mel couldn't blame Brian one fucking bit for doing that. To her mind, he should have done it much sooner than he had.

 

She remembered Ted telling her about Michael storming into Brian's office, while he was doing a presentation with a lucrative client not too long ago. The client had threatened to walk if Brian ‘didn't get his personal life under control.' Ted and Cynthia had taken over the meeting, while Brian went to deal with Michael's incessant whining. Which wouldn't you know, was all about Brian not answering his call regarding Brian coming out for a drink with him at Woody's. Hearing that made Melanie doubly glad that she had not chosen Michael to be the sperm donor.

 

She could handle a child who was a control freak, much like Gus. Preferred it even, but she refused to raise a chronic complainer like Michael. She would never understand how Debbie did it! If Michael was her child, she probably would have looked for ways to constantly drop him on his head to give him some fucking sense, or trip him until he learned to talk without sounding like a sick crow. The one saving grace Mel had was that she was sure the kid she carried would be more likely to kick ass, rather than grow up being one.

 

She was brought back to the present by the sound of soft footfalls on the wooden stairs, leading down to the kitchen. Lindsay must have finally arisen, and thought that Mel was in her home office. Although technically on bedrest, she was still allowed to provide research support for the ongoing cases that were initially hers at the firm. Mel happily absconded there to avoid arguments with Lindsay, which were more stressful than being pregnant and working full-time. Lindsay stopped short as she entered the kitchen.

 

As the blonde made her way to the coffeepot in the far corner of the table from where Melanie was seated, she decided that a little cordiality wouldn't hurt. "Good morning, Lindz. Did you sleep well?"

 

Lindsay slammed the coffee pot back onto its station, before answering coolly, "Fine. Not that it would have mattered anyway."

 

Melanie closed her eyes. She had hoped that Lindsay would have been able to see reason after their conversation, which came in the form of a screaming match yesterday. "I'm sorry you didn't sleep well. Is there anything that I can do?"

 

"No. I think you have done enough actually."

 

"What the hell is that supposed to mean, Lindz?"

 

"It means that there is nothing more to be said. You have made your position more than clear about my feelings."

 

"What? Because I agreed with Brian that you and Michael shouldn't have barged into his office? Lindsay, you have to understand where Brian was coming from. I mean, not too long ago, Brian almost lost a client because of Michael and his need for constant attention. I'm surprised that you jumped on his ‘Woe is Me' bandwagon, although I don't know why I should be. You've been pulling your own attention-seeking stunts for years. Brian's finally had enough... and so have I."

 

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Are you threatening me, Melanie? I guess you forget that you wouldn't even be having a baby if it wasn't for me."

 

Melanie knew that Lindsay would, once again, throw it in her face that if she hadn't talked to Brian for Melanie, the brunette wouldn't have gotten the chance to be a mother. That was Lindsay's manner of operations though. Whenever she needed to feel omniscient and omnipotent, she would throw up what she had supposedly done into the mix. Melanie wasn't going to fall for it this time. It was time that Lindsay either shit or get off the pot.

 

Lindsay needs to decide what is more important: Me and our family, or having some supposed power over Brian.

 

With that thought in mind, Melanie resolved herself to say what she should have voiced years ago. It was coming down to choices that Melanie was going to have to make to protect her own mental health. Inhaling deeply, Mel breathed out, "I'm tired, Lindz. I'm tired of your manipulations and power-trips. So here's the situation in a nutshell babe: either you stop this bullshit of trying to run Brian's life, or it's over between us... and I take Gus with me."

 

"What? You can't do that!"

 

"Actually I can, since you're acting like an unfit basketcase. And I'm sure that Brian would have no problem backing up every single instance where you have put your needs above that of our family. You're doing it again right now! I don't know what the fuck it is with you and Michael, but both of you are assholes who can't see anything but what YOU want and think you deserve. If you ask me, neither of you deserve shit!"

 

"How dare you speak to me that way?! Besides, I can't believe you of all people are defending Brian's actions. I guess carrying his baby would make you feel like you owe him your loyalty," Lindsay sneered. She was pissed when Melanie laughed at her, instead of arguing back.

 

"Think what you will, but right is right and wrong is wrong, Lindsay. You have until tonight to make your decision. Regardless of what it is, Gus, the baby, and I will be okay. We'll lose nothing by staying or going. You, on the other hand, will lose everything. Think about it." Melanie left the kitchen, cup of tea in hand and headed to her office.

 

Although she knew that Brian would be unavailable, she called his regular cell phone to let him know what was going on. This wasn't considered an emergency, and she really was okay. In fact, she felt better now than she had in years, having said what she needed to. After leaving her message, she called Ted for him to come and get her and Gus for the day. Without hesitation, told her that he was on his way.

 

If nothing else, Gus and I are entitled to a day of peace. I'll deal with whatever fallout later. With her resolve firmly in place, Melanie left the office in search of her son.

 

Lindsay sat in the kitchen, listening as Melanie moved from the office to upstairs. She wondered what she was up to now. There was a time when Melanie, and her reactions, were as predictable as the sun rising or setting each day. Melanie hated Brian, and Brian hated Melanie; a situation that Lindsay had dilligently cultivated down through the years. Of course, her ultimate goal was to make Brian realize what an asset she was to him with her WASP manners and connections.

 

To Lindsay, Brian was someone she could mold into the man she wanted. He was beautiful, intelligent, and eager to learn, and hungry for success. His attention to detail was second to none, and the way he moved... It was like watching lightning move across a field- precise, yet fluid. Plus, he fucked like a dream.

 

So when she had met Melanie, she couldn't help but notice how similar to Brian the young brunette woman really was. They both had lucrative careers, drive, determination, a hefty bank account and an amazing sex drive. Other than one being a man and the other a woman, the only other difference was that Melanie had a very overt jealous streak. Lindsay discovered it the first time Mel and Brian met, and she has been playing with it ever since. When she and Melanie decided that they wanted a baby, it was decided that Lindsay would carry it.

 

Mel was on the fast track to making partner in her law firm, and getting pregnant would have been the wrong time for her. Plus, with her diagnosis of endometriosis back when they were in college, there was no guarantee that Mel would be able to carry a baby at all, much less full-term. So it just made sense that Lindsay would have the baby since she was 100% healthy, and could take up to a year off from her job as an Art History teacher at Carnegie Mellon while still retaining full medical benefits. When it came to choosing the father, Mel had wanted a frozen ‘pop' from the local sperm bank. She said that it would be better for all involved- or not involved- such as was the intention. But Lindsay was having none of that!

 

For close to two years, Lindsay and Mel argued about it. Mel argued the definition of what an alternative family really meant, while Lindsay had stuck to her guns. She told Melanie that it would be Brian or no one. Eventually, Mel had given in to Lindsay's wishes, and it was just the opportunity the blonde had been waiting for. To Lindsay's mind, getting pregnant with Brian's child was a way to come full circle since she had often dreamed of having his baby during their halcyon days at Penn State.

 

After conception, Lindsay would call Brian with all sorts of reasons. She would whine and coo that he should stop by, so that he would be there when Mel arrived home from work, much to her partner's dismay and Brian's displeasure. She would make sure he showed up to her ultrasound appointments when Melanie was present, or to take her shopping when Melanie had to cancel because of a court appearance. She would always make a big deal of his presence, while secretly enjoying Mel and Brian's antagonistic association. She was always so excited, and excitable during her pregnancy, so having Mel and Brian fighting over her gave her hours of joy and entertainment.

 

All of these those situations combined helped to keep confusion going between Mel and Brian, while Lindsay was able to play the peaceful lesbian in the middle. But now she didn't know when, or how all of that changed. It was apparent that Mel and Brian had come to some kind of understanding behind her back, and it was messing with every goal she had ever set for herself. She had intended to live like a queen, while seeming to be happy with what Melanie could or would provide. She had to find a way to get back into Brian's good graces and get him to release the vice grip on his checkbook once again.

 

Deep down I know Ted is responsible for all of this, since he's Brian's accountant. That must change immediately, but how?

 

Michael's problems with Ben were fortuitous- or so she initially thought- because she would be able to get into the office to see Brian about her own financial issues while seeming to help Michael with his. To her way of thinking, if Brian was going to write a check for Michael while she was there, he could write one for her too. All she had to do was chime in with her passive-aggressive, heavy-handed guilt, and Brian would admit the error of his ways by issuing a check to be forgiven. Only that wasn't how things played out. And that was just fucking unacceptable!

 

She still couldn't believe Brian's audacity in cutting off all her access to his money. After being unceremoniously tossed out of Kinnetik, Lindsay had gone to the bank to withdraw money from Gus' trust account. When that hadn't worked, she tried to draw funds against his college fund. When the teller had asked her for the new codes, she nearly passed out! She had found out that Brian had changed them immediately after her last withdrawal, and it didn't just extend to Gus' trust account and college fund.

 

Melanie had also changed the codes on her personal account. Unfortunately, that only left the limited funds in their joint account, which was just over a hundred dollars since Melanie had already paid the household bills for the month. Ted was also Melanie's accountant and had obviously advised both Mel and Brian to block her access to their money. It was an untenable situation. He really MUST GO!

 

After leaving the bank, she had gone to the loft, expecting to wait for Brian until he came home. It was a habit she indulged in often, since he couldn't avoid her then. So she was more than a little surprised when her key and code didn't work. She called the security company's number listed on the little advertisement advising that the apartment was protected. It was barely noticeable, but as Lindsay had seen the little obscure notice dozens of time, when she actually adhered to the rules of etiquette and knocked on Brian's door, she had no trouble locating it.

 

Once the call connected, Lindsay told the person on the other end of the phone she was Brian's wife, and had somehow misplaced the new code. When the operator asked for the new security clearance answers, Lindsay had fished around her mind, throwing out every series of numbers and code words she could think of in that moment. It hadn't worked, and only served to have her look like an intruder to the operator on the phone who continually told her that she was wrong in a bored tone. Out of patience and ideas, Lindsay finally she hung up only for her cell phone to ring a minute later. Noting that it was Brian, she answered in a hurry, complaining that her code didn't work and demanding that he call the security companyto put her on the list as one of the residents of the loft.

 

The laughter on the other end of the phone was distinctly female, and Lindsay's hackles rose immediately rose. Hearing that tinkling little sound had literally sapped the rest of her forebearance, such as it was. Cynthia had advised her that Brian was not going to change the codes, and that the police were on their way. As Lindsay stood there in the hallway arguing with Cynthia, the police accosted her via both the stairs and the elevator. She was promptly escorted out of the building, and advised that the next time she entered without the expressed permission of the owner, she would be arrested for trespassing.

 

When she relayed all of this to Melanie, all she had received was a lecture about Brian being right. No sympathy. No empathy. Hell, not even a modicum of apology to soothe her wounded ego; just a continuation of the 'Brian was right to ban your ass', speech. It was not the support she had been expecting to receive!

 

Melanie had said that she was tired. Well so was Lindsay! She was tired of settling for things, instead of living her dreams. Melanie had told her that she needed to make a decision, and that Mel was going to take Gus with her if it was the wrong one. Lindsay had tried to call Brian to tell him of the threats, but the phone had gone directly to voicemail.

 

She pounded on the kitchen table in frustration, before deciding to try the Kinnetik offices. The voice mail came on with that fucking Cynthia's voice, advising that she should call back during regular business hours when someone would be happy to speak with her. She called Michael, only to find out that Brian had gone away for the weekend and wouldn't be available until Monday. That was just fucking unacceptable! So she tried the number that Brian had termed as the ‘child emergency hotline.'

 

"The number you have reached is has been changed or disconnected," the disembodied voice of the automated operator came over the speaker of the phone. "No further information is available. Good Bye."

 

Barely suppressing the urge to hurl her phone into the wall, Lindsay marched into Melanie's office. Searching through the brunette's rol-a-dex sitting in plain view, Lindsay examined every single little card, to no avail. There weren't any new numbers in there. She'd even checked Melanie's phone records for her landline, but  there was nothing new there either!

 

Finally traversing the stairs, in search of her wayward wife, Lindsay was determined that if she had to wrestle the cell phone out of the pregnant woman's hands, she would get the new number to Brian. "Melanie!" Lindsay yelled, opening and slamming every single closed door on the second floor. "Melanie, where the fuck are you?! MELANIE!! I'm not fucking playing! This has gone on long enough! I don't know what the fuck kind of game you and Brian are playing, but you can't keep me from talking to HIM!"

 

Melanie listened from the bottom of the stairs as she put Gus' baseball cap on his head.

 

"Why is Mommy yelling and saying bad words?" he asked.

 

Mel looked down into the confused, yet wide-eyed eyes of child, who looked so much like his father. She couldn't deny that Brian must have literally poured over ninety percent of his DNA into the little boy. She continued to search his face, for any sign of his bio-mom. The only thing that would give away that Gus was even possibly related to her would be implied in pictures and on his birth certificate; Gus was all Kinney. That fact used to bother Melanie, but now she could only hope that the child she carried had inherited the same genes that Gus had been blessed with.

 

Continuing to caress the side of his little face, she answered in as much of a reassuring tone that she could muster at the moment. "She's having a crazy moment, honey."

 

"Well she need a time out," he said. "That what she always gives me when I have my own cwazy moments."

 

Mel laughed in spite of herself. It was something Brian would have said, and she couldn't help but agree. Sobering quickly though, she imparted a life lesson she hoped with all her heart, Gus wouldn't need again beyond this moment.  "Gus, always remember that you can't fix foolish or crazy."

 

"I'll 'member dat, Mama," he said stoically, even as they headed out the door to Uncle Teddy's car.

 

Yes, she thought. Stupidity is a disease. And Michael and Lindsay are definitely contagious.