- Text Size +

 

CHAPTER 8: ROTTEN APPLES

 

"So here is what we know about your company so far, Mr. Taylor... you want to do more than take it to the next level, you want to explode onto it. The current demographic of twenty and thirty-somethings aren't enough, since they leave out the whole younger generation. But believe it or not, with the introduction of certain interactive gaming systems, even the baby boomer generation has gotten in on the craze of video games. No longer are grandparents and great-grandparents content to sit on the sidelines, allowing the children to have fun. They, too, want to experience the giddy and carefree days of their youth, while having something in common with their children and grandchildren. To that end, I say we expand your vision a bit." Brian pitched to Justin, and his team.

 

As Cynthia and Marcia presented the boards, Ted and Maggie were already hard at work figuring out the cost. Using the premise of the Rage videogames Justin was famous for, Marcia had created an interactive sequence using 3D drawings. Justin smiled, impressed that they had thought this far ahead, while he had been questioning this very idea. It was innovative on Kinnetik's part. And if Justin loved nothing else, he loved those willing to take the initiative, not just sit around thinking about it.

 

He cleared his throat before speaking. "Well it seems as if you've thought of everyone. I think the systems games can be modified even further, to also include people who are disabled. So the question is: where do you see this campaign going and what are the costs?"

 

"First, we introduce the two new gaming systems. As a preliminary package, they will get the console and two new games, based on the demographic they are purchasing the system for. With the children's package, they get one educational game and the other geared toward a family fun night. If the purchase is for personal use and the patron is over the age of 17, they can have the choice of action/adventure or sports-related, which will encourage them to buy the necessary accessories to play it. As for the senior sect, I would suggest packaging with the family or sports games only. Sure, there may be some that like the action/adventure games, but the family-friendly and sports games will help them learn how to use the system, first and foremost."

 

"Interesting concept, Mr. Kinney. Will Phase II of the campaign run similar to Phase I, or haven't you gotten that far yet?"

 

Brian chuckled, and winked at Justin. "Mr. Taylor, the one thing that you will find, should you sign with Kinnetik, is that we always look at the big picture first and work backwards, not the other way around."

 

"I suppose that's why you have become so successful in such a relatively short amount of time. What other services can Kinnetik offer in terms of beyond the campaigns for our products?"

 

Cynthia chimed in, "We offer our clients an array of services, including acting as our client's official publicist. Since our involvement with a company also affects our bottom line, it behooves us to be involved in all aspects of their public relations."

 

"I like the thought of having a full-service company, who doesn't just focus on our advertising. In light of my current personal issues, this would mean that you would also take on all aspects of our press coverage. Are you prepared for that, as well?"

 

"Does it specifically relate only to Taylor Industries, or are we also talking about Winston, Inc.? I should warn you that if you are seeking our services for both companies, the fee does go up. But to be fair, we might be willing to negotiate," Brian said, already seeing the possibilities, financially and personally. It wasn't his way to mix business and pleasure, but with Justin Taylor, he couldn't seem to not want to.

 

"It would extend to all my business needs, Mr. Kinney. I have several, including a lucrative art career and several galleries. To be fair, we- my family and I- expect some trouble from two former employees, one of which is my sperm-donor. Mark, who has been filling in as my publicist since I fired the last one, has done his best thus far. But this is more than he is qualified to handle. It's bound to either go away or get ugly. I need to know that you won't run from the fight."

 

Brian, Cynthia and Mel exchanged looks while Ted simply guffawed, disguising it as a cough. Brian asked, "How extensive was the investigation you did on me, Justin?"

 

Justin smiled. "Enough to know that you were no danger to me, Brian."

 

"And what did you think of the reason why I left Vanguard?"

 

"I have to admit that I was impressed. You didn't compromise your integrity, even while you still did your job during office hours. The problem is that my life, my career, and my business are not something I can turn on or off. It is 24/7 for me."

 

"Be that as it may, I think I can safely say that we will meet the challenge with the same grace we always do. My team has been with me for many years, even before Ryder Advertising became Vanguard. I hand-selected those who came with me, and hired a few newcomers who are of a like mind to be the best. Like anywhere else, there are a few glitches, but our clients are never the ones to know. We handle our business in house and believe in career growth, even from the janitor. That said, I don't think you will ever have to question our dedication to our clients. I personally oversee every single account and every client has a direct line to me, regardless of who their representative is within the company."

 

"Good to know. Do you have the contracts?"

 

"I do. Although Donovan will be there once we touch down in New York, Melanie is also well-versed in the standard contract for Kinnetik and will be happy to answer any questions you or your staff have. As quiet as it is kept, Mel helped me to draw up the contracts when we first began Kinnetik, and has stayed on as a consultant since. I would offer her the job as one of my Corporate attorneys, but she's a prideful bitch."

 

"Thank you, Brian, for that glowing recommendation. It's a wonder I haven't taken you up on your offer with that stellar review," Melanie said, from the table where she was seated with Ted and Maggie. "Mr. Taylor, if you and Mr. Brandt would like a few minutes to confer, as Brian said, I will be happy to answer your questions."

 

Peter was already going over the contract, and the fine print of the document. Like Maggie, Peter had been a legacy employee of Taylor Industries, who also worked for Winston Inc. Since he also served as Justin's personal attorney, Justin trusted Peter implicitly to guard his interests at all costs.

 

As Peter and Melanie began to go over the finer details, Justin's cell phone rang. Looking at the Caller ID, he rolled his eyes before answering. "What is it?"

 

"Just thought you would like to know that your father is thinking about going to the press. I told him that you would probably pay for him to go to rehab, but that his job and title within Taylor is finished," Roy Johnson said.

 

"Roy, I don't give a shit what Craig does, except if he overdoses on my property. He and Arnold are on their own. Besides, I don't believe in wasting my money. It would definitely be a waste to put Craig in rehab, because he doesn't want help and he would have to be honest- two things he's totally incapable of."

 

"Justin, please... do you know what this will do to you personally if Craig makes good on his threats? I don't give a shit about him, but I do care about you."

 

Justin sighed. He'd known Roy for many years, and knew that the man genuinely did love him. "I know Roy, but this... it is a chance I have to take. Craig keeps starting fires that I have to put out. Not only that, he's an addict and expects me to let him run my businesses into the ground by supporting him. He let himself get out of control. Until he really hits rock bottom, there's nothing any of us can do for him. Perhaps while he's locked up, he'll be able to detox and get the help he needs. But it can't- it won't- come from me. Not this time."

 

"Alright, Justin. Alright. Have you decided on Kinnetik as a publicist? From the looks of it, you're going to need him sooner rather than later."

 

"Yes. Peter and Brian's attorney are going over the contracts right now. Thankfully they brought their laptops, so there won't be any delay."

 

"Good. I would ask you once more to reconsider, but I know you too well, Justin Taylor."

 

"Glad that you've finally figured that out after all these years, old man." Justin laughed, before becoming serious again. "I guess that all there is left to say is for you to do your best by the bastard. Don't let his shit destroy the reputation you've worked so hard to build. Craig is a lost cause, but I know you have to honor his contract."

 

"No hard feelings?"

 

"None whatsoever. My war with Craig has nothing to do with you and me. We're still solid. I'm in New York to deal with the DeCampos personally. I'll see you when I can."

 

"Alright, young blood. See you soon."

 

After they hung up, Justin sat silently for a time. Realizing that he needed his space, Brian sat quietly and observed the younger man. He seemed much too young to have the weight of the world on his shoulders like that. Yet Brian couldn't help but respect how Justin carried himself. Even now with his blue eyes taking in the scenery, Brian didn't detect a deflated bone in his body.

 

Justin's posture was strong, his brow furrowed in quiet determination. Strength of character, and will poured off of him in waves. Brian couldn't not admire that. He recognized so much of himself in the way Justin approached adversity- head on, no running, no apologies, no excuses, no regrets. And not for the first time did Brian notice the difference between Justin, and the people he had once regarded as his best friends.

 

Michael would have whined, and complained until the people around him had bloody ears. Brian couldn't determine whether it would happen because of the high-pitched decibel, or from his victims trying to tear the ears off the sides of their heads. Meanwhile Lindsay would have ranted and raved before giving into the demands. Not Justin. No, Justin Taylor silently weighed his decisions, acted with decisiveness and bore the consequences with class, dignity, and elegance.

 

He didn't expect anyone to fix his problems, or justify his actions. Justin didn't look for approval, or wallow in self-pity. Brian suspected that, even in his capacity as Justin's publicist, the statements and sentiments he made would come directly from Justin. It would be his job to spin the words to make them palatable for the public, but they would still have Justin's sentiments all over them. Brian smiled at that. He was convinced, now more than ever, that he and Justin Taylor would make a formidable team.   

 

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the Captain speaking. We'll be landing in New York within the next twenty minutes. We are preparing now for our descent. I ask that you make sure your chairs are in their upright position, and request that all electronics be turned off at this time."

 

As everyone prepared to follow the Captain's instructions, and Emmett went to drag a sleeping Gus from the bedroom on board, Justin slid into the seat next to Brian. He unflinchingly signed document after document, hiring Kinnetik as the premiere company to handle all Public Relations. This included all facets of advertising for Taylor Industries and Winston Inc., and any public statements concerning the CEO and his family. The same would apply to all of Justin's other businesses, which would be discussed once they reached the hotel. It was one hell of a BIG deal, both figuratively and literally, but Brian was looking forward to the challenge.

 

"So, Mr. Kinney, I hope you're ready to put my money where your mouth is. You're the official publicist the moment we touch down."

 

"I'll put your money where my mouth is for now, but later, I'll show you what other things my mouth is good for." Brian told him quietly.

 

Justin smiled brightly at Brian's suggestion, a shiver going through his body. "I'm looking forward to it."

 

~AC~

 

Lindsay decided that while she was waiting for the detective report from her father, she would be proactive in laying the groundwork to bring Brian to heel. Walking into the lobby of Taylor Industries was the first move in accomplishing that goal. Looking around, she noticed the exquisite artwork lining the walls and the sturdy yet elegant architecture of steel, chrome and glass which complimented the artwork. She could literally stand there all day and marvel at the talent displayed all around her; the place literally screamed innovative creativity to her.

 

"May I help you?" the voice of a woman took Lindsay out of her reverie.

 

Lindsay turned to face the most elegant woman she had ever seen, even if she was noticeably younger than she was herself. "Ah, yes. I'm actually here to speak with Justin Taylor or any member of his family. You see my...husband, is on a business trip this weekend and I was hoping that I could speak with Mr. Taylor about not hiring Kinnetik."

 

The young woman eyed her suspiciously for a moment but covered really well. "Well, I'm Marlinda Taylor. Perhaps we should adjourn to my office to discuss this in more detail. I'm particularly interested in knowing why my brother should take your advice in not hiring your husband." Molly stated. There was something fishy about this woman's story, but she would play the bitch's game. And she knew her mother would also be interested in hearing this. "Excuse me a moment. I just need to confirm that my mother is still within the office."

 

Molly placed her call while surreptitiously watching the tall bleach-blonde in front of her. If there was one thing Molly knew, it was a greedy woman. She'd spent much of her life dealing with her father who was as avaricious as anyone could get. So much so that she had basically been sold to the Hobbs family for their heir-apparent. Well that was until Chris disappeared and she was able to get a rush annulment, thanks to Justin. Molly recognized the same type of ruthless regard in the woman currently pricing every piece of Justin's artwork in her head.

 

Speaking into the phone with Lila, their joint Executive Assistant, Molly confirmed that Jennifer was still within the office taking care of the last minute details of Arnold's termination. She also made sure that Lila knew to increase security in the lobby, effective immediately. Turning back to their uninvited guest, Molly decided right then that no matter what her brother said, she would be hiring Kinnetik if for no other reason than to stick in the uppity bitch's craw.

 

"Mrs...."

 

"Kinney. Lindsay Peterson-Kinney," she said, smiling at the way the name rolled off her tongue.

 

"Mrs. Peterson-Kinney, this way. My mother and I will definitely speak with you about Kinnetik's owner. I have to tell you though, we've done a thorough background check on him and his company. There wasn't any mention of you, outside of being the mother of his son."

 

Lindsay frowned, anger flashing in her eyes that was quickly masked. "Well... well, the marriage is new. It's only been a few weeks, so it's possible that all the paperwork hasn't been filed yet."

 

"Oh, of course," Molly said, although she knew that wasn't how the system worked. She would play with Lindsay for now. But she highly doubted that Jennifer would.

 

Entering the office, Lindsay once again was in awe of the tasteful elegance of the furnishings. More artwork hung within the space, along with two large painted portraits. Molly watched Lindsay once again as the woman stood analyzing the quality of work and the potential cost of each piece.

 

"These are fantastic!"

 

"Thank you. I'll let the artist know."

 

"The artist? Who is he? I would definitely recommend him to the most reputable gallery in town. I'm very close friends with the owner of the Bloom Gallery."

 

"I'll be sure to let my brother know."

 

"Your brother? Your brother painted these?"

 

"Indeed, Justin did," Jennifer spoke up. "My son is a man of many talents, including running both companies. Please have a seat. Molly, did you call and delay our other appointments?"

 

"I asked Lila to do it, Mom. Also the other jet is being prepared now for our departure to New York within the hour."

 

"Well then I suppose we should get down to business then. Ms. Peterson, what can we do for you?"

 

"I prefer Mrs. Kinney, Mrs Taylor. It's my married name now."

 

"Oh, I was not aware," Jennifer stated as she pulled out a file from the drawer. "As I understand it, you are Lindsay Anne Peterson, daughter of Ronald James and Maureen Nancy Hobbs-Peterson. Maureen was often called by her middle name, since she shared a first name with her grandmother. Nancy and Ronald had three children- one of which was a twin to your older sister, Lynette. The deceased baby girl was the original Lindsay Peterson. You came along a year later. Let's save time, and not go through all of your formative years. Instead we'll jump ahead to when you attended college, after graduating St. Mary's High School.

 

"Originally you attended Carnegie Mellon, until you met a Rebecca Tucci and also a Michael Novotny. Your parents thought that Rebecca was a bad influence on you, so they had you transferred to Penn State. You and Michael became friends through your frequent trips with Rebecca to Liberty Diner, located at 1222 Liberty Avenue. There Rebecca and Michael would talk- incessantly, I imagine- about their best friend Brian Kinney, who was attending Penn State on dual scholarship for academics and soccer. From that day to this one, you and Brian remained friends, until recently. You have a partner named Melanie Marcus, who Brian initially despised- I suspect that was your influence- but they have since become civil to each other, mainly because she is carrying his second child. The offspring of you and Brian's was named Gus Kinney Marcus-Peterson, and was begot upon your insistence. This is from the investigator's report I received as recently as Thursday morning. Justin had gathered his own intel weeks before, when he first considered Kinnetik a viable business to align his companies with. This is mine, obtained purely for personal reasons. Need I go on, MISS Peterson?"

 

Lindsay swallowed hard, hearing her entire life laid before her, even some things she wasn't aware of. It was then that she realized that coming to the Taylor building, trying to throw a monkey wrench in Brian's business deal so that he would concentrate more on her, was as big of a mistake as Michael had made. She decided to try a different approach to her goals. "No, there is no need to go on any further, Mrs. Taylor. However, I would like to point out that Brian working for a company as large as yours would limit time with his son, and future child. I'm here in their best interests."

 

"Lindsay, do I look like a fool to you? I have raised two successful children, who were both millionaires before they were eighteen. No, their money was not received by ill-gotten gains, nor a trust fund. It was EARNED, because of their superior intelligence, determination, and the ability to know good opportunities when they see them. It also extends to them knowing when the people around them are full of shit. I suspect they inherited their bullshit detector from their grandparents, and myself. So you don't get to come in here and lie about everything, then expect us to roll over and believe you. I will be sure to let Brian know that you were here, and your opinion about how he runs his business." She was gratified to see Lindsay's look of arrogance, and self-righteousness turn into one of horror. Not even the rouge on her cheeks could cover the fact that she had turned pale at the mention of Brian finding out about Lindsay's visit. Good!

 

"A word of advice," Molly added. "Stop thinking with your pussy, which he will never want by the way. Leave Brian and Justin alone, because you should be advised, you aren't prepared for the consequences if you piss Justin off."

 

"Is that a threat?" Lindsay gasped, seeing all her carefully laid plans and contingency plans being wrenched away from her.

 

"No... we Taylors don't make threats. Threats are beneath us. We make promises, and are not afraid to follow through with them. Also, you might want to warn your parents that the promise also extends to them. I never did like Nancy. The Hobbs family is a blight on the world of WASP. I'm sure the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree where she is concerned. After all, she raised you. Now, we have a flight to catch, so good day, Miss Peterson." Jennifer said.  

 

Molly and Jennifer watched as Lindsay nearly stumbled on her way to the door in an effort to look dignified. Once the door closed behind her, Molly turned to her mother. "I still have my reservations about Justin's involvement with Brian Kinney. But I must admit, the man needs help, if that bitch and the twit that was kicked out yesterday are the people he considers friends."

 

"He has two other friends, but they are nothing like Lindsay and Michael. The thing is, those two will do and say anything to keep Brian alone, since neither one of them will ever have him the way they want. I think you need to actually read the investigator's report, Molly. There is a lot more to the man Brian Kinney has become, than what is presented now. It's a true ‘Rags-to-Riches story.'"

 

"So you've read the entire report?"

 

"Yes I have, and let me just say that Brian and Justin have met each other's match in ways that both men cannot have bargained for."

 

"Well if firing Arnold and dealing with Lindsay Peterson was the morning's entertainment, I can't wait to see what the afternoon and evening brings."