- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

New Year's was fast approaching.

"Hey, Drewsie, what are we going to do for New Year's?"

"How about we stay right here, open a bottle of wine and fuck in the New Year?"

"That would be a plan," Emmett admitted. "But I'd really like to show you off."

"Don't you have a party to cater that night?"

Emmett groaned. "Don't remind me. I did have, but the lovely couple who were throwing it have decided to get each other matching divorces for the New Year."

"So the party's off?"

"Yep, I'm free as a bird."

"It's a little late to get reservations for a restaurant or a hotel party," Drew replied.

"Yeah, I suppose," Emmett said with a sigh. He really wanted to enjoy this New Year's with his lover.

"Maybe I could call in a favor," Drew said thoughtfully. "What if I find us a really great restaurant for a late supper and then we could go to Babylon afterwards."

"Oooh," Emmett cooed. "That sounds yummy. And there will be more than us in the restaurant, right?" Emmett smiled.

"Yes," Drew chuckled remembering that other time he had rented the whole restaurant so no one else would see him with Emmett. "I have grown up since then."

"I know you have, sweetie, and whatever you can arrange will be just fine."

"Come here, Emmett Honeycutt. I want to kiss you senseless."

"Be still, my heart," Emmett said as he fell into Drew's arms. "I'm the luckiest man alive."

*****

"I have the tickets for the Honey Bear on New Year's Eve," Hunter said into the phone.

"That's good," Nick replied.

"Hey, a little enthusiasm would be appreciated."

"I'm sorry," Nick said. "I'm sure it will be great, but I'd just as soon stay home with you."

"That's sweet," Hunter said. He often had to pinch himself to realize that he had found someone as wonderful as Nick to share his life with.

"Why don't we go to the Honey Bear for a while and then come back to the farm and spend the big moment in your bed."

"Or we could go up in the treehouse," Hunter suggested as the thought struck him. "It would be just like our first time together, and very private."

"That sounds lovely," Nick had to admit. "But it's going to be fucking freezing."

"I'll go to Smittie's and get six canisters for the fireplace. That way we can have it burning all night. We'll be toasty and warm."

"I like the way you think, young man."

"I like it too," Hunter laughed. "In fact we could forget about the Honey Bear altogether, if you wanted."

*****

"What the fuck are you doing?" Michael demanded as Ben carried two suitcases out into the living room of their house.

"I'm going away," Ben said.

Michael's face contorted in pain. He knew things had been tense between them, but not this bad. "Away?" he practically moaned.

"I'm taking a vacation in Mexico and you're coming with me." Ben grinned. "That is, if you want to come with me."

"I … I do, but how? How did you get reservations so late?"

"Brian."

"Brian?"

"He pulled in a couple of favors. He really wants you to be happy."

"I … I know that … now. We had a good talk over Christmas."

"I thought you did. He suggested that we needed to get away together and sort some things out. That's why he helped arrange this."

"I'm sorry I've been such a shit to you, to Brian, to everyone."

"I'm really glad to hear that, Michael. Some things have to change."

"I know, I know. I just haven't been able to get it all together."

"Maybe if we go away, relax, and talk we can get back on track."

"I'd like that," Michael smiled.

"Then let's go pack. The flight leaves tonight."

"I need to make a phone call first," Michael replied.

"I'll take the suitcases upstairs."

"Thanks, I'll be up in a minute." Michael hit the familiar number.

Brian picked up his cell. "Hey, Mikey."

"You are a sneaky devil."

"Whatever do you mean?"

"Ben just told me about our trip, and your part in arranging it."

"Ben has a big mouth."

"I want to say thank you. I think we really need this," Michael said as tears started to well up.

"Don't waste this opportunity, Michael," Brian counseled.

"I don't intend to."

"Good. Have a great trip."

"I will." Michael cut the connection. "Ben, have I told you lately how much I love you?" Michael called as he raced up the stairs to find his partner.

*****

"Sure thing, Claire, and Happy New Year." Debbie hung up the phone after speaking with Claire about their up and coming trip to Las Vegas.

"Who was that, Honey?" Carl asked.

"That was Claire. She wanted to know if we got the tickets and itinerary for our trip. I told her that the courier just dropped them off. I can't believe that big asshole pulled this off!"

"Who pulled what off, Baby?"

"Brian. He exchanged the tickets that Steve bought and purchased four first class tickets on Liberty Air and with a discount. Then he arranged for a limo to take Steve and Claire to Harrisburg Airport and a limo for us to go to Pittsburgh Airport. Our flights arrive within minutes of each other. And he arranged for us to be at the same hotel. I gotta hand it to him, he is still the master."

"Is there anything that man can't fix?"

"I don't believe there is. Oh, Carl, I'm so excited. Las Vegas! I've never done anything like this in my life."

"We're going to have a great time and you deserve it, Honey."

"So do you. Sweetheart, I love you."

"Love you too, Babe. Happy New Year."

*****

"Happy New Year, Deb. Steve?" Claire hung up after her conversation with Debbie.

"In the kitchen, making tea. Want a cup?" Steve replied.

"Please. Debbie sounded so excited on the phone."

"So do you."

"I am. I've never gone on a vacation like this before. I can't wait."

"You know, Claire, I'm not sure if I should thank Brian or wring his neck. This was supposed to be my gift to you. And he thinks he can just come in and..."

"Steve. This is your gift to me. All Brian did, was a little rearranging. We are all paying our own way. But with his contacts and his knowledge, he just made sure you got the most out of your dollars. We're not poor but he knows how hard we all work for our money. And he knows how practical you are. I know the limousine seems a little extravagant but think of it as his wedding gift to us." Claire hoped her explanation appeared plausible. She knew Brian went a little overboard but he insisted.

"Is this where I compromise and say, let's go for it?"

"Yes, I think it is."

"Then let's go for it. I can wring his neck after we get back from Vegas."

"Oh Steve, I'm so proud of you! Let's have dinner then we can toast in the New Year."

*****

"That fucking interfering asshole! Our whole night is ruined and it's all Brian's fault."

"How is it Brian's fault? Our babysitter got sick."

"Yeah, well, if he didn't stick his nose in where it didn't belong, Michael would be home and we'd still be able to go out. Now, we've lost our babysitter and our restaurant reservations. That shit."

"Where's Michael?"

"He and Ben are going to Mexico for a week. He said something about Brian making arrangements for them to fly out tonight. They were almost at the airport when I called. Fucking no-good asshole."

"Melanie, you know perfectly well that Ben and Michael have been having problems. This is Brian's way of helping. This will be good for them. They can re-connect, relax for a while."

"Why, why do we have to take a backseat to everything?"

"We're not and if it was the other way around, Brian would be sending us on a trip and you know that. He was willing to send us on a honeymoon, remember? And we turned him down."

"You turned him down. I would have taken the tickets. Now we have to stay home tonight."

"What's wrong with that? I don't need a fancy dinner to have fun tonight. We can have a nice meal here and we have plenty of wine. We'll have fun even if we eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner."

"So what goes better with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? Red or white?"

*****

"Ted, are you sure you're going to have a good time tonight? You'll be alone."

"Alone? In a concert hall filled with people, I'm looking forward to this. I'll be front and center watching you and the Philharmonic play, cheering you on and then after we can celebrate. Allen, this is the best New Year's I've ever had."

"Baby, I promise to give my boys a good workout tonight, just for you."

"Then we go home and I'll give you a good workout."

"Oh yeah!"

*****

"John, is he asleep?"

"Yeah, poor little guy. That last tooth finally cut through. He's exhausted."

"By the looks of it, so are you. You're not sorry to be staying home, are you?"

"Baby, there's no better place I'd rather be than here with you and our son. We can ring in the new year right here in front of our fireplace."

"John, have I told you just how much I love you?"

"Yes, but you can tell me again. Better yet, why don't you show me?"

"I can do that."

*****

"Brian, come sit with me in front of the fire; it's almost midnight."

"I'm coming, just getting the wine." The lovers settled in front of the fire, soft music playing in the background.

"Justin, I can't believe we're about to celebrate our first New Year's together as a committed couple."

"Me neither. I'm glad you wanted to do it like this. I mean going out would have been great but this is better."

"Mmm. It's snowing again. We can watch it from the porch if you want."

"Later. Right now I just want to cuddle in front of the fire."

"Whatever you want, Sunshine. Justin, can I ask you something?"

"Anything."

"I've been giving this baby thing some serious thought. I think I'm ready, that is, if you're ready. Do you think you'll be ready soon?"

"No shit? You really want to have a baby? Do you know what you're saying?"

"Yeah, I do. I see no reason to wait. I know we'll have some things to work out but yeah, I really do."

"Brian, I didn't think I could be any happier than when we got married but I believe I've just surpassed it."

"I love you, Justin, and I want to have a family with you."

"I love you, Brian. Happy New Year!"

"Happy New Year, Sunshine. My only Sunshine."


The End.
SabinaThymeSunshine is the author of 78 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Then Comes Marriage also liked 593 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Sunshine Files . The previous story in the series is First Comes Love. The next story in the series is Then Comes Brian.