- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

John and Hunter were outside where John was teaching Hunter to play horseshoes. Bobby and Claire were watching from the screen porch.

"Do you think he'll be teaching Little Red how to play soon?" Bobby asked. He was holding his son as they looked out.

"The way this little one is growing, it might be tomorrow," Claire laughed holding Patrick's hand.

"Don't say that. He's already gotten so big. It's seems like he just arrived a few days ago."

"Time does go by so fast when there are children involved," Claire said thoughtfully.

"Do you have any regrets, Claire?"

"A few?"

Bobby's eyebrows raised in surprise. "Like what?"

"I often wonder if Jack Kinney had known about his son and had come back to the farm…" she let her voice trail off.

"Your life and John's might have been so different," Bobby supplied.

"Is that what you think?" Claire asked narrowing her eyes.

"Did I say something wrong?"

"I wouldn't change one thing about John or about myself for that matter. I think we've done pretty well in this world. I couldn't ask for a better son."

"So what did you mean about Jack coming back here?"

"I meant that Jack's life might have been different. From what Brian says about him, Jack was never happy in Pittsburgh. He turned into someone I wouldn't even recognize."

"True."

"If he had come back here he might have been able to capture some of the happiness and joy that I know he had in him." Claire sighed. "But what's the use of thinking about that. If Jack had returned we wouldn't have Brian and he has brought so much to our lives, including getting you and John together."

"That's right, Brian Kinney, matchmaker."

"Don't let Brian hear you say that."

"I don't intend to."

"Uh oh, I think someone needs changing," Bobby said with a grimace. "And it's the good stuff."

Claire laughed. "Come on. I'll help you."

As Bobby carried Patrick into the house he asked, "You're enjoying being married again?"

"Yes, yes I am," Claire blushed.

"It's brought some color to your cheeks," Bobby teased.

"I had almost forgotten…"

"But it all came back to you."

Claire blushed again and nodded. "Let's get this little guy changed." She hurried on ahead.

John lined up his next shot and let the horseshoe fly. When it came to rest it was touching the peg.

"Pretty good," Hunter said as he gathered up the horseshoes.

"I hear you've applied to Penn."

"Yeah."

"Does that mean you and Nick will be getting a place together?"

"We've talked about it, but I haven't even been accepted yet."

"You'll get in, Hunter. You're a smart guy."

"I wish I had been smarter earlier in my life."

""I understand a lot of that was out of your control," John said softly.

"Some of it, but eventually I just didn't care. If it hadn't been for Ben I would probably be dead now."

"But you're not and you have a great future ahead."

"I hope so. Besides I'm looking forward to some peace and quiet if I move to Penn."

"It's totally quiet on the farm," John said bewildered.

"Not if you're in my room at night. Your mother and Steve really go at it."

"Hunter, I really don't want to hear this. This is my mother."

"Sorry."

"Maybe you should move over to my old room. It's across the hall. You wouldn't hear … anything."

"I guess I could, but it's only a few weeks till the next semester, and if I get in…"

"We'll miss you around here," John said putting his hand on Hunter's shoulder.

"I'll miss the farm and all you guys and Little Red." Beau who had been watching the game of horseshoes barked. "And of course, you, Beau." The dog wagged his tail.

"But you'll be back?"

Hunter nodded his head. "I still want to work with the kids on the Farm. Maybe if I get the training I'll be able to help them more."

"You already do a great job with them. Bill has told me as much. You have the right instincts where they're concerned."

"Thanks," Hunter said pleased to hear that. Sometimes he wondered. "We better finish this game. Supper should be ready soon."

*****

"Brian!"

"Drew, so good of you to join me for lunch."

"When Brian Kinney calls, I'd be a fool not to come, right away."

"Ah, Drew, if only you knew. Now, down to business. I'm sure you've heard that Kinnetik won the Spirit Athletic Clothing account."

"Very large feather in your cap."

"Yes, it is, very large, in my cap, so to speak. But I'm proud to say that my number one partner, Cynthia, is completely responsible for that."

"So, where do I come in?"

"You come, ahem, I'd like you to be our spokesman. And don't try any of that bullshit that you've retired and no one remembers you. You're a local hero and a national one. You've only been out of the real game for a few years and your job as color man for the team keeps you in the public eye. And you're one hell of a good looking dude. The contract is going to be a long one, in advertising terms, five years at least, if Cynthia has anything to say about it. And there are a whole lot of us out there who are attempting to grow old gracefully. What better than a man that looks phenomenal at this age to be our model?"

"Brian, I don't know what to say."

"Drew, you say, yes Brian, and where do I sign?"

"Yes, Brian, and where do I sign?" Brian handed Drew a preliminary contract, the terms to be worked out later. This was just an agreement to hold Drew's services. Brian handed Drew a pen and Drew promptly signed on the dotted line.

"Now that that's out of the way, let's enjoy lunch. And if I'm not mistaken, an old friend of yours may join us."

"Friend? What friend...?"

"Brian, Drew?!"

"Yes, Emily, I'm Brian and that's Drew. Are you going to join us or keep the entire restaurant regaled by your unique fashion sense?" Emmett sat down next to Brian.

"Emmett, you look … you are a sight for sore eyes. How have you been?"

"I'm good, Drew, and you?"

"I think I'm all grown up now."

"Are you?"

"Yes, and I learned a lot."

"Have you?"

"Yes, and I really, really missed you."

"Did you?!"

"You know boys, I'd love to hang around here for more of this very scintillating conversation but it's started to snow and I have a long drive back home to a certain little blond who just came home from a very long trip. Drew, we'll be in touch. Emmett, the birthday cake, where is it?"

"My kitchen."

"Key, Emmy Lou."

"Here, my spare."

"Bye, kids, don't do anything I wouldn't do," Brian chuckled. He left Drew and Emmett making goo-goo eyes at each other. And he was quite certain that Emmett's new bed in his new apartment was going to get a very thorough workout. Brian decided he better pick up Patrick's cake and get the hell out of Dodge. The snow was coming down harder and he wanted to get home.

It was Friday, November 5th. Patrick Aidan Rowan Morrison-Anderson was one year old yesterday. The immediate family had held a quiet celebration. Tomorrow, Liberty Avenue was planning to descend on the farm, until this freak early snowstorm hit them all of a sudden. Emmett had made the cake and convinced Brian, who was in town for Kinnetik business, to take the cake with him to the cottage. So that's what Brian was doing. Thank the gods for Brian that Emmett made a sheet cake which made transporting it a helluva lot easier than a tiered one.

As Brian got back on the road he made two calls.

"Cynthia."

"How'd it go, Brian?"

"How do you think it went?"

"I think I can hear you grinning over the phone."

"I bet you can. I'm sure Tremont Street will be rocking on its foundation any time now and by the way, Drew signed."

"Of course, he did. You going home?"

"Yeah. Cyn, it's starting to come down hard..."

"Don't worry, I'll let the children go home early. You be careful."

"I will, call you Monday."

"Okay, have a good weekend."

"I intend too. Bye, Cyn."

"Bye and the..."

"Cake, got it."

*****

"Hello?"

"Hey, Sunshine."

"Hey yourself, and please tell me you're using your hands free ear piece?"

"Yes, mother. I do pay attention to your public service announcements."

"I'm serious, Brian. I don't know about Pittsburgh but I barely made it into Harrisburg before they shut down the airport. Thank God, John met me with the Navigator. Brian, I didn't look around back; please tell me you're driving the Cherokee."

"Nope."

"Brian Kinney-Taylor, you will not drive that fuckmobile in this weather! You turn your skinny ass around and go back to the loft."

"Nope."

"Brian!"

"Easy there, little fella. I finally wised up. We spend most of our time on some back woods road and the Vette will not see light of day until Spring. I got me another Wrangler."

"You did what?!"

"Yup. I have a full tank of gas, I'm in four wheel drive and me and the faggot mobile will be arriving on your door step in a couple of hours."

"I love you, Brian."

"Ditto, Sunshine. See you soon."

"Ditto, Brian. Oh Brian, the..."

"Cake, got it. Later."

"Later."

As Brian was being a very responsible spouse by driving carefully, especially with Emmett's latest masterpiece in the car, the creator of said masterpiece was giving Drew Boyd the fifty-cent tour of his new apartment.

"Wow, this is a lot of space for just one person."

"Well, I did have hopes that I wouldn't be alone here."

"A roommate?"

"Sort of, but it didn't work out."

"So, you have lots of privacy."

"Oh, yeah, lots. I miss Debbie and Carl a lot, but I really needed this kitchen."

"Yeah, it's huge."

"Huge. Oh silly me, where are my manners? Can I offer you a drink? Coffee? Tea? Me?" Emmett half joked.

"Yeah." Drew murmured as he stared at Emmett's lips.

"Yeah, what?" Emmett whispered as his eyes grew wide.

"You." Drew captured said lips and the last coherent thought Emmett had for the entire weekend, as he was tackled by Drew, was that he needed to vacuum the cobwebs off his bedroom ceiling. Said ceiling being the only thing he got to see for two and a half days.

*****

Several hours later Brian and cake made it to the cottage safe and sound, both in one piece. Brian mumbled a curse as he pulled up in front of the cottage. His Prada boots were not made for stomping through snow. And he'd have to stomp through quite a bit of it to get to the front door. More if he went around to the side door and the mud room. As Brian was pondering the fate of his boots, Justin opened the door. He had on a parka and had a shopping bag in his hand. Justin quickly joined his partner in the Jeep.

"What are you doing?"

"Is that any way to greet your partner who's been away like forever, being blown around the Windy City for the last two weeks?"

Brian arched a brow.

"Chicago, Brian. And it's a lot colder and windier, very windy." Brian gave Justin a hello kiss but he really wanted to give Justin a hello fuck and that wasn't going to happen sitting in the Jeep.

"Justin..."

"Save it for when we're in the house and in front of the fire. Now give me the Pradas."

"What?"

"You'll ruin your boots in that snow and then you'll be grumpy all night. And I want a happy, horny husband not a grumpy one. So hand over the Pradas and put on these."

As Brian maneuvered to remove his boots, Justin took out a brand new pair of Ugg Boston leather boots. They were tall and lined with fleece. Brian slipped his size twelves into the boots and sighed. They fit and felt wonderful.

"What about the cake?"

"Don't worry about the cake, Bri. It'll be fine out here. Come on, let's make a break for the door."

"Right behind you, Sunshine."

"Just where I want you to be, Brian."

The lovers ran to the door, to their fireplace and to a night of love.