- Text Size +

 

 

CHAPTER 13: PROGRESS Part 1

 

Brian Withdrawal

 

Three weeks… Three fucking weeks! Michael hadn’t seen Brian in three weeks. He never showed up at the Diner, he hadn’t been to Woody’s or Babylon on any of the nights Michael had been there, and he wasn’t answering any of his phone calls, no matter where he’d left messages. Since he was denied access to the loft, Michael decided that the best way to have a chance to talk to Brian was to show up at Vanguard, where he couldn’t avoid him. The only thing about that was that it wasn’t so easy to bypass security anymore.

 

The building had a whole new staff and as Michael had found out, unless there was an appointment, he wasn’t allowed entry into any part of the building. So Michael decided to try to make one. It probably would have worked too, if it wasn’t for Brian’s bitch Cynthia, who had answered the phone when his call had been transferred to her, instead of the receptionist team where they used to go when the company was Ryder Advertising. She firmly and professionally castigated him for trying to use Brian’s business to further his own agenda. She even asked him the name of his business for her records, knowing that he didn’t have one. It was no secret that Michael had resumed his original job at the Big Q since his permanent move back to Pittsburgh. She then informed him that unless he received a new position as part of the Big Q’s Creative Marketing team, which was located in Atlanta, Georgia, he would never be put through to Brian on her watch. It wasn’t until he heard the click and dial tone that Michael had stopped screeching from her response.

 

To make matters worse, everyone was treating him as if he was some stranger they’d just met. Ted and Emmett would stop all meaningful conversation anytime he was near them. His mother was still cordial to him but she carried none of the warmth towards him that she was known for. His uncle Vic barely tolerated his presence at all. Melanie ignored him and Lindsay… well, Lindsay said that she valued her relationship with everyone too much to side with him.

 

At first, he wasn’t sure what she meant, until she reminded him that Bellweather’s book had hit the market, and stood a good chance of being pulled from the shelves thanks to his libelous comments and Michael’s monologue about the denizens of Liberty Avenue, of which Brian and Justin’s non-relationship played a big part. In his quest to get to Brian, he had totally forgotten about the book release and the exclusive he’d given to the Portland Times about Brian and Justin. He really needed his best friend to let him apologize and to tell him that everything was alright between them. As far as Michael was concerned, he’d only told the truth. Sure, the truth hurt sometimes, but it was no reason to throw away a friendship more than a decade old because of a temporary fling.

 

“Michael, you need to clean up the soap on aisle six. I asked you to do it over an hour ago,” Andrew, the store manager tells him. He never missed an opportunity to rub Michael’s demotion in his face. It seemed he had regressed to where he was at twenty-one, instead of the thirty year old man with a lucrative position he was before he left with David.

 

“I’ll call the custodial crew to do it.”

 

“No. They are busy. Besides, I asked you to do it.”

 

“It’s not my job!” Michael argued, scowl on his face and arms crossed to show he wasn’t budging on his point.

 

“Well, you either make it your job right now or feel free to look for a job elsewhere.” Andrew stated, enjoying every minute of Michael’s discomfort. He never could stand the obsequious little ass kisser, who, as far as he was concerned, had stolen his job before. Well it was his turn to show Michael Novotny who the real boss was! “Mop and bucket are in the closet leading to the restrooms, in case you have forgotten.”

 

He watched with barely contained glee as Michael glared, huffed and then, at last, shuffled toward the closet to complete Andrew’s orders. There was no doubt in his mind that Michael was cursing him out in his mind. Part of him hoped with all his heart that the fucker would say something else out of line to him. Andrew would enjoy writing him up for the third time since he’d come back to the Crap Emporium. But this was so much better. As revenge goes, Andrew was going to enjoy giving Michael several doses of his own medicine.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~SOWK

 

A Hard Truth Long Overdue

 

“Hello Craig.”

 

“Madison, to what do I owe this surprise?” He’d been sitting in his attorney’s office, waiting to be called. “What are you doing here? Finally having your divorce finalized?”

 

She smiled at him. “Not exactly, but Brent and I did reach an agreement.”

 

“Oh?” Craig asked. With all of the financial woes staring him in the face, it would be nice for her to take care of him for a change.

 

“Yes. I think it’s a lucrative deal for us, all the way around.”

 

“We’ll finally be able to take that vacation we’ve wanted to.” At her look of puzzlement, he reminded her, “You know… the one with you, me, and a string bikini on the beach in Tahiti?”

 

“Oh that… well I hate to break it to you, but that’s never going to happen.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“Well for one thing, you’re a lying sack of shit.”

 

Craig’s face was marked by surprise but quickly turned to anger. “What the fuck are you talking about?”

 

“I think I can answer that…” the new voice introduced to this untenable situation caused Craig to cringe.

 

“Cindy? What the… how… what’s going on?”

 

“As Madison stated, you’re a lying sack of shit! You’ve been playing us both for far too long and we’re tired of it.”

 

“Sweetheart. Baby, there were just some things that I had to untangle myself from. You know how it is with us men.”

 

“Sure I do. But what we really have a problem with is not that you were fucking around, and with each of us. No, our real problem with you was hearing that you left a family behind. How dare you disown your own son for not living up to your lofty expectations?!”

 

As Craig stood there, trying to formulate a response to Cindy’s accusations, Madison fumed. Stepping up to the red-faced man, she drew back her fist and connected with his face. “That’s what Jennifer Taylor should have done to you long since, you bigoted bitch-boy!”

 

“I sthink you bwoke my… argh!”

 

“And then she should have applied her foot just where I have Craig!” Cindy screamed at him as she placed said foot back on the ground. “I hope I’ve dislocated your balls so much that you’ll never use your dick again other than to pee, you sick fucker!”

 

Craig slid down to the ground, clutching his balls, allowing the blood from his nose to drip profusely onto the carpet beneath him. He couldn’t believe this shit was happening. He’d been very careful to separate both of his lives from the other. To the public, he was a wealthy family man. But in private and away from his ex-wife, he was a carefree playboy. How the fuck had his carefully crafted lines been crossed?! He got his answer in the form of a familiar tittering sound.

 

“Ah, Craig, I see that your mistresses have enacted a speedy revenge. I have wanted to do the same many times in the last year. But you know, they are so much better at it.” Jennifer smiled as she took in the scene before her. She was flanked by four other gentlemen, two of whom Craig knew. “Byron and Brian, you already know my ex-husband. Terrence Crowley and Brent Ross, this is the illustrious Craig Taylor, whom your wives have known intimately. Craig, meet all of the new co-owners of the business formerly known as Taylor Electronics. It turns out that Brent and Madison, Terrence and Cindy have all been in the gaming development business for years and were looking to branch out into incorporating high-end electronics into their business model. Your fuck up couldn’t have come at a better time for any of us. Cindy and Madison, I’m sure that Brian will be in touch about the transferal of ownership to the condos from Justin’s name into your own. I wish you all well in your marriages. I know they are open but well…”

 

“Say no more, Jennifer. I think I can safely say that Cindy and I are sorry. We had no idea that the asshole was married with a family. If we had, our first question would have been if he was in an arrangement like ours. We may have loose morals according to some women, but we still live by a code, in that we don’t like to be kept the ‘dirty little secret’ from the wives. We’re swingers but not common whores,” Madison informs her.

 

“Well, that puts a new light on your association with Craig, doesn’t it Jennifer?” Brian asked smirking. “They can’t be held responsible for buying into bullshit they didn’t know. Now that this portion of the business is concluded, I need to know when you are going by to do the appraisals for the condos. I would like to be there, along with my personal accountant, Theodore Schmidt. Ladies, I’m sure that he and Jennifer will give you fair market value for each of them so that we have no need to list them on the market.”

 

“Wsha da fsuck?!” Craig yelled from his place on the carpet. “Youz cansht do dat!”

 

“Actually we can, asshole. You see, when you put everything of value in Justin’s name, not only did that give him the power to do what he wants, but Brian as well. You see, Craig dear, they are partners, which means that while Justin is recuperating, he’s signed off for Brian to take care of all of his business affairs. You gambled and lost Craig, and I’m so fucking happy you did. Oh and by the way, none of the six-hundred and forty grand that you owe is being paid through any part of this sale. So you’d best get working on how you’re going to manage to pay it back.”

 

“Cansh she do dis?” He looked over to Byron, who was doing his best to contain himself.

 

“Yes, she can and is doing this, Craig. I’ve warned you many times over the years that everything you did in the dark was going to come to light. Looks like that time has come. Now, do you need me to call an ambulance or something for you? You’re bleeding on my carpet. Thankfully, I decided to take the next few days off, so I can have the carpet changed while I’m out of the office. Brian, are we still on for dinner?”

 

“Let me check with Justin. He’s doing really well and is able to have some people in the loft now. He’s still not ready to go out yet,” he told him, his voice trailing off.

 

“Gshood! Shoutnt be asround god-fearsing people anyway, goshless fag...arrrgh!”

 

Jennifer drew back her fist at that moment. “Say one more word about my son and I swear before all that’s Holy Craig, I’ll kill and bury you before anyone has time to figure out you’re missing!”

 

“And we’ll help her!” Madison said, flanked by a glaring Cindy.

 

“On that note, Brent and Terrence, can you remove this… man from my office. I really need to lock up and Brian has to get back to Vanguard.”

 

“Sure and Brian… whenever you’re ready to branch out on your own, let us know. We’d love to be your first clients. Brent and I have several businesses together, as do the girls.”

 

“You’re seriously thinking about it?” Jennifer gasped, looking over at Brian.

 

“Yeah. It’s becoming apparent that staying at Vanguard is becoming unbearable. Gardner thinks he’s hurting me by taking my most lucrative accounts because I won’t do what he wants.”

 

“And what’s that?” Cindy asked, genuinely as curious as the rest of those assembled.

 

“Drop the lawsuit against Dixon and leave Justin to his own devices. But I won’t do that… not even when he’s okay again.” Jennifer’s eyes teared up. “Don’t get moist, Jenn. I meant what I said those few weeks ago in the hospital. Justin and I work best in the small chances. I won’t leave him alone to face his.”

 

She nodded. “Have you picked out a name yet?”

 

This time, Brian did smile. “Yeah, but it wasn’t me. Justin did.”

 

“And?”

 

“It’s going to be called Kinnetik. But first, I have to get my ‘art director’ to leave the house and then we can scout locations.”

 

“You still believe in him, don’t you?”

 

“I never stopped.”

 

 

 

And two days later, Justin took his first steps outside the loft… but how that happened is anybody’s guess...well except for Brian’s.