- Text Size +

 

 

CHAPTER 25: A MEETING OF THE MINDS (Part 2) and the ETERNALLY MINDLESS



What the hell has Nancy been up to now?!


Ronald looked at his cell phone in shock before putting it back up to his ear. “What do you mean for the last month, Hanks? I didn’t authorize any such action.”


The man on the other line clears his throat. “While that is true, Mr. Peterson, I was following the standing order under the retainer contract for Mr. Edmonds. So when Mrs. Peterson called me directly, I didn’t think anything of it.”


“I see,” Ron said, exasperated. This was just one more way Nancy used his business contacts for her own personal gain. “Well, first, I need to disabuse you of some misapprehensions you have been deliberately placed under. The terms of my agreement with Anthony Edmonds is in regards to business ONLY, unless otherwise stated as in terms of divorce. Since up until yesterday Nancy was unaware that it was even a possibility, there was no need for your services in that regard. Secondly, I will pay you since you’ve done the work, BUT I want the details of what- or more accurately whom- she had you investigating.”


“But, Sir, that would be highly unethical since she signed the contract…”


“Under false pretenses, I might add,” Ron said, firmly driving the point home that the man was violating a standing contract with Ron’s attorney, NOT Nancy’s. “I would hate to bring this matter to Tony directly, since it could cost you that particular exclusive contract. Considering that he’s one of the best litigators in the state, I would imagine that he uses your services quite frequently.”


Ron heard the heavy sigh on the other end of the phone, knowing that he’d hit his mark with the well-placed threat. “Okay, Mr. Peterson, I get your point. The only reason I contacted you for payment was because she said that she was unavailable to handle it directly. I was just about to call the messenger to have it delivered to the Hilton Hotel’s front desk where she said she was for a lunch meeting.”


“I can assure you that Nancy is NOT there for a lunch meeting, but as a stopping place for wherever she plans to stay going forward. In case you haven’t picked up on the situation, I am divorcing Nancy. I’m sure that Tony will be in touch should the need arise to do some P.I. work in reference to my case against her. That said, I would like you to personally deliver that report to ME at the Schickle residence within the next twenty minutes. I’ll have a check for you then.”


“But I’m nowhere near there…”


“Well, then I guess you’d better leave now, Hanks. I’m not taking no for an answer, and I don’t have any more time to waste. Besides, I’m pretty sure that whatever is in that report might be useful to the meeting I’m having right now.”


“But…”


“For every minute you are late beyond twenty minutes, your fee decreases by a thousand dollars. If I were you, I would get moving,” Ron warned, and then disconnected the call.


“Problem?” George asked, noticing the man’s rigid posture.


“Just Nancy cooking up more trouble.” The exasperated tone caught everyone’s attention. “Apparently, she secretly hired the private investigator my attorney uses without either of our knowledge, and advised him that I would be paying him after she received the packet he put together. I swear that woman’s entitlement issues knows no bounds.”


“And you’re surprised by this why, Dad?” Lynette said, smiling sardonically. “You kept that particular monster alive ever since you married her. You should have killed it the minute you took her off her daddy’s hands.”


“That’s true, but it would have ended with me in an orange jumpsuit, and no one looks good in that.”


The group snickers, while Lynette looks puzzled. “What’s so funny?”


“Well according to that fashion guru, Emmett, what Ron has said is true. But tangerine, however…” Jennifer answered, and Lynette snickered in response.


“You know it’s funny, but my sister never had a nice word to say about Brian’s friends. Yet, I can’t see what her deal was. I find you all to be an amazing group of people.”


Emmett nodded his head. “I hate to break it to you, but Lindsay is a bitter bitch, only she doesn’t know it. Or if she does, she’s under the misconception that being so will get her what she wants.”


“That’s Nancy’s influence,” Lynette hurriedly informs them. “Understand, that I’ve had my own issues with bitterness over the years; you get force-fed that taste constantly over the years and it becomes a part of you. However, unlike Lindsay, I’ve never seen the advantage of remaining so. In fact, I’ve worked very hard to find my own happiness instead of continuing to believe that I had to make those around me miserable in order to achieve it. Or more accurately, thinking that those around me were put on this earth for the sole purpose of me being happy. It’s something I learned to come out of from the way my ex-husbands treated me. They were kind men, and through that kindness showed me that what you put out into the atmosphere is what you get back, and it’s not always in terms of money. Sometimes it comes in the form of help in unexpected ways when you most need it. My life with them hasn’t always been peaches and cream due to their own issues, and my constant wants. Yet, they never took it in the miserable direction our relationships could have gone.

 

"Once I stopped listening to Nancy, and stopped letting what she and Lindsay thought of me control me, I decided to learn from the men I married… I decided to finally learn what I really needed to know from the first man to love me for myself, which was my father. It’s a decision that I can’t regret, since it’s brought me everything I truly can’t live without. Unfortunately for Nancy and Lindsay, they are going to continue living the way they are, spinning their webs of lies, deceit, and idiocy. All we can do is move forward. So that said, what’s the next step?”


Cynthia cleared her throat. “I think the wisest choice of action is for half of us to stay there, while the others work with Ted to get the office up and running. Even if we have to work out of the loft for the time being, productivity should not suffer. So those of us with the higher positions stay and watch things from the inside, and thwart their efforts where we can, while the rest of you do what you do in the name of Kinnetik.”


“Shouldn’t you run this by Brian first?” Todd asked.


Cynthia smiled. “No. He gave me my head in getting us ready. Besides, I know Brian like the back of my hand, and he would certainly agree with how we are going to handle this. If you leave the company in increments, before either Gardner or his newest mole, Lindsay, even realize what’s happening, he will already be too late to stop the mass exodus from happening. Make sure that before you hand in your resignations your hard drives are wiped clean of all important documents, and/or contacts. In fact, when you go in on Monday, look up various companies pertaining to your expertise to make it seem like you are taking a position with one of them. That way when he has your hard drives searched to give him a clue about what you’re going to do now it will confuse him, but he’ll be content thinking that as long as you’re not going to Brian’s new company, he will still have a chance to sink Kinnetik before it gets started.”


“Who’s going to handle the Human Resources aspects?”


Ted answered, “Between Cynthia, myself, and Marcie, with Brian and Justin’s input, your benefits should kick in from the ground floor. Staffing and other needs will become the responsibility of a designated department once we get into the new building. You will certainly be compensated for your time from the moment you start working for us.”


“You’ve already gotten the corporate charter and business loan?” George asked Ted.


“Came through yesterday while we were at the courthouse.” He smiles. “It helped that Quinn leaned on the loan officer at the bank to get it done once Lindsay was arrested.”


“The news that Justin sold Taylor Electronics hit the paper this morning. I would imagine that Gardner has seen it by now…”


“And also Lindsay. No doubt she spent the night with him,” Jennifer said.


Lynette nods. “It’s Peterson Women 101. When you don’t have cash, use the only credit you have at the moment.”


“Lynette?” Ronald looks at her questioningly.


“How do you think she got all those favors out of the Mathers father and son? I can assure you it wasn’t just because of Lindsay’s connection to that family. Thankfully, I’ve never had to go that far to get what I wanted. But that brings about another problem...”


“What’s that?” Cynthia asked.


‘If she’s with Gardner as we suspect she is, and has seen the new windfall for Brian and Justin, I think she will now reconsider giving up Gus to them and Melanie.”


“Oh my God, you’re right!” Jennifer exclaims. “No doubt that come Monday morning she will come up with some reason or another that she just ‘needed a break’ and that she’s ready to be the model mother again. Due to her being sprung from jail before the case reached a judge, we can’t even use the arrest report to thwart her. But…”


“Well, we all did say that Nathan Mathers needed to be told what the situation with Lindsay’s parentage really is,” Constance interjected. “No time like the present, right?”


“True, but what are you going to do?”


“I think I have an idea, but first I need to talk to my brother, who is also my attorney. I want to be able to free Marcie from the temper tantrums that are about to happen. Between Marty Ryder and my ignorant soon-to-be ex, it’s a wonder she hasn’t taken a letter opener to him as of yet…” At Murph, Cynthia, and Marcie’s laughter, Constance asks, “What?”


“Xena’s trusty sidekick Gabrielle here, pulled a letter opener on me this morning when we were at the office. They thought I was an intruder… or probably more accurately, Gardner,” Murph answered, laughing.


Constance snickered, “See what I mean? Her natural inclination would be to drive a stake through that vampire’s heart. So my idea is to get her out of there before she has the chance to think of a million ways to kill Lindsay, too. That said, I think that it’s time my money works for me for a change, and not the other way around.”


George smiled, immediately seeing where Constance’s thoughts had taken her. “You’re going to ask for half of the company in the divorce settlement?”


“No. I’m going to ask for the whole thing, and then maybe negotiate down to half. Either way, while it’s tied up in litigation, it will keep Gardner from taking on new partners, for example reinstating Martin Ryder as the co-CEO or promoting Lindsay Peterson without MY approval. I think Shawna Hicks will make an excellent assistant until all of the employees going to Kinnetik are officially moved.”


“Ah, I see.” Cynthia smiles. At the rest of their confused expressions, Cynthia tells them, “Shawna’s husband is pro-football player, Verdell Hicks, who plays Middle Linebacker for the Ironmen. He would never take too kindly to his wife’s job being threatened or her having to endure sexual harassment of any kind.”


“And let me guess, she’s both Gardner AND Lindsay’s type?” Jennifer asked, smiling.


“Absolutely. Brian often called her a straight man’s walking wet dream, and said that if he didn’t like dick so much, he might have tried to get her himself. Add to the fact that she has the personality of Justin- who can be as nice as you let him be, or a veritable bitch if you take him there- and you have Shawna Hicks. Gardner’s going to have a shit fit since there’s no way he can make a move on her, personally or professionally, without incurring some type of penalty.”

 

“Lindsay’s not going to take too kindly to it either,” Ron stated, rolling his eyes. “And we know how tenacious she can be when she wants something or someone.”


“And how’s that working for her so far?” Cynthia asks, facetiously.


“It’s not.”


“Exactly, and it won’t work with Shawna either. If Lindsay isn’t careful, Shawna will chew her up and spit her out verbally. But Lindsay would do well not to even think to get physical with her, either. She holds a 5th degree black belt in Aikido.” Cynthia shrugged, as if she didn’t just make the implication of what would happen if Lindsay pressed the young woman too hard.


“For some reason, my sister thinks she’s irresistible,” Lynette said.


“And yet Brian has managed to resist her for all these years after his one drunken judgement call. No matter what she tries, she’s still not going to get her way with Brian. But… well it’s what she will try against Justin that I worry about the most,” Emmett said. “It’s the only way she would have to get to him.”


“Not Gus?”


“As much as he loves Gus, I would have to say no. It’s not that he loves Justin more than Gus, but there is only so much she can do to the baby that wouldn’t have Brian looking for ways to murder her in any case. Justin is a different matter, especially since the bashing. He’s almost hypervigilant when it comes to him now, as if he’s still expecting something or someone from the shadows to attack at any time.”


“I’ve noticed it, too, Emmett,” Jennifer assures him. “I can’t even say that I blame him. We all know that he’s still having trouble with the situation as a whole. Hopefully he will calm himself after a time, but while that’s happening, all we can do is do our parts to set him at ease beginning with getting Kinnetik up and running. No doubt Lindsay thinks that Justin is not going to have a part within the company. The moment she finds out that Justin is co-CEO, she’s going to come running for him.”


“It’s that unpredictability that’s worrying me,” Emmett stated.


“I know, Em. But we can only do what we can do right now. Until she makes a move in his direction, it’s best that we just keep the immediate goals to the forefront of our minds,” Ted advised.


Jennifer smiled. “I don’t think she’s going to find Justin any easier a target than she’s ever thought of in terms of Brian and Mel. I know my son. The fact that he’s fought back, and WON, against the Hobbs and faculty of St. James Academy has lit a fire under Justin’s ass in ways that no one can imagine, except maybe Uncle George and Frankie…”


“And he has me, Molly, and Daphne to back him up,” Francesca reminded her. “If little Miss Peterson thinks that she can just get away with her crap, she’s got several screws loose. Besides, I know that Daphne has been just aching for a piece of her for a long time now. No, Justin is just NOT the one she wants to mess with. And it’s time she remembers that.”


George looked over to his daughter, narrowing his eyes at her. “What are you thinking, Frankie?”


“Turning my wedding into the social event of the season. It will be a way to not only showcase me, as the bride, but a way to reestablish just who Justin Taylor really is. Also, I think my mother and her cronies need to be reminded that I hold all the power… and that includes my brother, as well. Speaking of which…”


She picked up her phone and placed the call on speaker for all to hear. Before he could even get his greeting out of his mouth good, she advised Junior, “Tell Mother and Clara that I am well aware of why they are so eager for me to supplement your allowance. Based on that, I will have extra security at my wedding to see that none of you gain entry. Also tell Nancy Peterson that it was a nice try, but the information she requested is now in the hands of its RIGHTFUL owner. Good luck maintaining your cattle of heifers, Brother Dearest.” She hung up on his sputtering, and turned back to her father. “So Dad, I think just as we’ve subtracted from the guest list, it’s time to add some very key additions. Emmett and Vic, are you ready to go mainstream?”


They looked at each other, and smiled. They both knew exactly what Francesca Schickle was thinking. There was so much more to Brian’s alliance with Justin than the arrogant brunet knew. And the best part was that no matter what happened between Brian and Justin personally, their professional relationship would never suffer with people like the Schickles backing them up. With that realization, it was Vic who answered on behalf of HoneyGrass Elegant Creations. “More than ready, Frankie darling. We were born ready.”


“Good, because you’re going to need more staff… A LOT more!”


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~SOWK


Leda watched as the blonde bane of her existence alighted from the cab. It didn’t take a genius to figure out that the Camry she was arrested in was still at the impound. Shavonne had already made arrangements to get it out of the lot, after she spoke with Mel earlier. She looked over to her companion with a twinkle in her eye before stating, “Lindsay’s here. Do you want to deal with her, or should I?”


Shavonne smiled at Leda. “I would say flip a coin, but I would never want to deprive you of your fun. Besides, this has been a longer time in coming for you than it has been for me.”


“True, but…”


“No buts. I’ll just sit here, sipping my wine and watching the fireworks. Besides, the whole episode shouldn’t take more than ten minutes, since she will have to run up the street in hopes she’ll get a cab in time.”


Leda nodded and resumed her seat temporarily on the sofa that Shavonne had delivered once the construction workers left for the day. Although the house was being renovated in spots- beginning with expanding the current bathroom to also include a washer and dryer, and another bedroom upstairs was being refurbished to create another en suite bath- it wouldn’t affect their living arrangements all that much. By the end of it, the house would contain three Master suites, and a guest room and washroom on the first floor. Upon touring her newly acquired property, Leda had discovered that Mel had already done some of the work to begin finishing the basement. With the an additional bathroom, a new office, and an entertainment section already completed, she added to the original price Jennifer quoted her. It was money well spent, and Leda was already making plans on how to utilize the remainder of the huge space. As for Shavonne, she was just grateful to check out of the hotel sooner than expected.


They sat sipping their wine, and having quiet conversation while they heard the key being inserted in the lock. Leda had requested that the locksmith leave the original casing, since it went with the character of the house as a whole. Unfortunately for Lindsay, it still wasn’t going to help her gain the entry into the house that she was undoubtedly expecting. After the fifth try the frustrated blonde began pounding on the front door, screaming Melanie’s name and hurling epithets, insults, and threats. All in the name of getting into HER house. After an additional ten minutes, Leda decided to open the door and put them- meaning Shavonne and herself- out of their misery.


Wrenching the door open, Leda looked dispassionately upon the flushed and flustered woman. “Excuse me, Ms. Peterson, but would you mind keeping your voice down. I’m pretty sure that my new neighbors are about ready to call the police on the murder which sounds like it’s being committed out here.”


“WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING IN MY HOUSE?!!!” Lindsay screamed wide-eyed at the tall brunette standing in front of her. She made to push her way in, but Leda blocked her way.


“YOU don’t now, nor have you ever had a house, Lindsay. You had a living arrangement, which has officially been changed. So as I’ve stated, this is MY house… well, mine and Shavonne’s.”


“WHAT?!” Lindsay narrowed her eyes. “Where the fuck are Melanie and my son?”


Leda smirked, and then sniffed the air as if she smelled something foul. “Obviously not where you have been. I mean, did you shower before you decided to come here? Jesus, you smell like stale sweat and week-old Old Spice.”


“Where the fuck are my wife and child?”


“You don’t have a wife.” Leda shrugged. “As for your child, I don’t think you can expect me to tell you that. I mean, he wasn’t your child when you decided to leave him in a parked car while you tried to dick over Brian and Melanie, was he?”


“You bitch! Let me into my fucking house, RIGHT NOW!” Lindsay made to rush Leda, only to get pushed back down the three steps leading up to the front door.


“Once again, you don’t hear what you’re supposed to. So I’ll say it slowly for you, as I had to do with your Master earlier. YOU. DO. NOT. HAVE. A. HOUSE. Everything- all property, house and car alike- was in Melanie’s name ONLY. Therefore, she decided to sell the house to me.”


“But my things… How can she just…”


“She did what she wanted to, since the house was hers to do with as she pleased. As for your meager belongings, they are in a storage unit close to where your parents live. Although, if I’m not mistaken, your mother doesn’t live there anymore either. Last I heard she was staying at the Hilton. In any event, you have about a half an hour before the storage office closes in order to get ready for tomorrow’s auction. You should hurry up and get there before they begin tagging your possessions for sale. I heard that once that happens, you’ll have to BUY it all back.”


“You’re… you’re lying! MEL!! MEL!!!! MEL!!!!” Lindsay started up the stairs again, only to be stopped by the appearance of Shavonne behind Leda.


“I thought you were going to let me handle it,” Leda smirked.


“Yes, well, that blaring whine and coo she produces was giving me a headache.” Turning to Lindsay, she narrowed her eyes. “What part of Melanie no longer lives here don’t you understand?”


“Who the fuck do you think you are?!” Lindsay spat.


“One of the occupants which now owns this residence. Not only that, but I’m trying to actually give you a chance to get your scrawny ass away from here before I call the police on you for trespassing. I mean, with you out of jail as it is, I can only imagine how you got sprung, or who you had to blow to be so. No judge would have let you out without at least two hundred and fifty thousand dollars bail, and since we all KNOW you don’t have that kind of money- let alone ten percent of it- lying around at your fingertips, it certainly raises some suspicion about what exactly happened after you were taken into custody. I think come Monday, I will certainly be asking some questions about that. Pittsburgh P.D. is in enough trouble as it is for accepting bribes. I would hate to think the remaining officers there haven’t learned their lessons.” At Lindsay’s widened eyes, Shavonne smiled grimly. “I see that you and I understand each other. Now it’s time for you to leave, Miss Peterson, and please do not come back.”


Shavonne pulled Leda into the house and slammed the door in the face of the stunned woman still on the bottom step of their house. Leda laughed. “Damn, I should have gone into law. I think she’ll need to check her thong before trying to get a cab anywhere. She looked like she had an accident on herself when you mentioned her getting out of jail without seeing a judge.”


“She certainly should have, because when I find out just how she circumvented the system, not only will she be brought up on charges… but so will all the other people responsible.”


“Speaking of which, there are a few calls I need to make.”


“Although those words in an of themselves are innocent, why coming out of your mouth do they sound so ominous?”


Leda smiled at Shavonne, and nodded once sharply. “Because they are. Although I don’t take advantage of my social standing very often, when I do, it’s for a very specific purpose and never taken for granted. I think it’s time that I do so again.”


“Who are you calling?”


“Nathan Mathers. He’s a judge within this county, and if rumor is to be believed, he’s Nancy’s latest lover, as well as Lindsay’s half-brother.”


“Oh fuck! I think my lunch is repeating! Did you just say…”


“Yes, I did, only I doubt that he knows. What do you bet that once Lindsay runs into her mother, they will try to appeal to him to fix their fuck-ups.”


“You don’t think she’ll try to appeal to whomever bailed her out of jail?”


“She could, but it won’t go anywhere. After all, they forgot one very important part of this puzzle, which apparently you’re forgetting as well.”


“Which is?”


“That the police took Gus to the hospital first, and then he was released from Child Protective Services. Mel and Brian have Gus in their custody. But more importantly, neither of them can be charged with kidnapping, which is what I suspect Lindsay will try once she can’t find Mel and Brian.”


“That sounds exactly like what she would do. Anyway, make your call, while I make one of my own.”


“Who are you calling?”


“An unexpected ally,” Shavonne answered, even as she dialed the number. After about four rings the call was answered. “Detective Carl Horvath, have I got a job for you… and yes, something tells me that eventually the son of the woman you’re seeing is going to become involved.”


She could already hear his eyes rolling in their sockets at the mention of one Michael Charles Novotny. She snickered, knowing that by the end of the call, she was going to hear a bunch of colorful epithets from the normally calm detective. She couldn’t blame him, since the more she learned about Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor, the more she realized the snakes that have surrounded them even longer than either of them knew. The rest of their conversation was passing information back and forth between them, until a common name came up.



“I’m on my way there now,” Carl informed her.


“Good. I’ll meet you there,” Shavonne said, just before hanging up the phone.


“Where are you on your way to?”


“CPS to see Trevor Brown. Apparently, little Gus’ case wasn’t the only case last night that has a screeching woman involved. Joan Kinney has suddenly remembered that she should have been looking after her grandchildren, but…”


“But?”


“Yeah, some more information has just come to light regarding Claire Kinney-Townsend’s arrest, so we’re just waiting for some more confirmations to come through. In the meantime, we need to talk to Mr. Brown since he worked both the case of Gus and the Townsend boys. This is going to be one interesting afternoon.”


Interesting indeed!  

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~SOWK

CUPPA CAFE


“Boss, he’s coming to. What do you want done with him?”


“Call the police. The other guy, who was with those two ladies, said he was stalking him. They sure blew out of here before making sure that the idiot was okay, so there must be some truth to it.”


“Maybe…”


“What do you know, Reggie?” The manager asked him.


“Nothing much, but I have seen him on the Avenue. The group that he used to hang around want nothing to do with him right now. That tall guy, in the lavender feather coat, he’s one of them.”


“Well then, we should let the police sort it out. His screeching earlier already disturbed some of the customers. So I’ll call it in as him ‘Disturbing the Peace’. He can get it all straight with them.”


The moaning from the couch within the office caught their attention. Reggie turned to his boss. “Jerry, do you think there’s some truth to what he was screeching? That Brian Kinney has a twin sister?”


“I don’t know, but if there is, let’s hope that fool doesn’t remember. By the looks of it, there will be even more trouble if he does.”


“And that’s something no one needs. If there is one thing I know about Michael Novotny, it’s that he’s already a loose cannon when things don’t go his way, but none moreso than when it involves Brian Kinney. And something tells me that whatever truth there is to that bit of news we overheard earlier, the explosion hasn’t even happened yet.”

 

 

“God, help the eardrums of all of Pittsburgh when it does.”