- Text Size +

CHAPTER 37: I AM SINGING


“Close your mouth, Honeycutt. Unless you’d like me to stuff something in it,” Brian said, smirking at his friend who had finally come out of his stupor. 


“You wish, Big Bad. And I’m only letting you get away with calling me Honeycutt because I just had the weirdest dream.” Em shook his head as if to clear it. 


Justin laughed. “I’d say it was more than a dream, Em. More like a reality-induced lack of oxygen.”


“Huh? Baby, speak English. I can’t process all of that right now. And what the hell are you all standing over me for?”


Everyone chuckled again, including Heather. She asked, “Emmett, what’s the last thing you remember before they brought you in here?”


“I don’t know if it’s a memory per se. But I remember being with one of the nurses. Judy was her name, I think, but that may have been part of the dream. I thought she told me that you delivered not one, but two babies, and that I was the dad.”


Her eyes grew sad momentarily, but brightened just as fast. “Then you’re okay, and don’t appear to have a concussion.”


“You mean…”


“Take care of your daughters, Em,” she said quietly. The tears in her eyes had returned, and everyone in the room couldn’t help but be moved by them.


“You’re sure you don’t…” Em asked, only to be stopped. He moved to get up to go to her, but was having a little trouble. Seeing this, all the men within the room helped to guide him to a seated, then standing position. Moving over to the side of the bed where Heather laid, Em said, “If you want to change your mind, we could…”


“I don’t, Em. This is what was decided when I thought there was only one of them. I know they will be in good hands, and that’s enough for me.”


The two of them traded looks and silence, each reading the emotions in the others’ eyes. For Emmett’s part, he could really understand her sacrifice, even if she knew she couldn’t be the mother to his girls that she would have been if she was another type of person altogether. Heather was not only a warm person, but one of the most loyal and loving women he’d ever met. He wouldn’t ever forget her, and he could tell Heather felt the same way about him. 


“Thank you,” Emmett said simply, his own tears shining bright in his eyes.


“Go be happy, Em. If there is one person in this world who I trust to make even rainbows jealous with his fabulousness, it’s you. And now you have two others- your very own unicorns- to make your world sparkle even more than it already does.”


“I’m going to tell them about you, you know?”


“Emmett--”


“No, Heather. They should know that they came from one of the best women I have ever known. They should know how much you are loved and admired. And I don’t ever want you to worry about them. All the people here have a vested interest in raising them to be as wonderful as you are. In fact, I had Teddy get a little something to remember all of us by.”


“Emmett, you didn’t have to.”


“I know I didn’t, but we all wanted you to have what would normally be called a push gift. But in this instance, it’s a gift of well wishes and caviar dreams.”


Emmett handed her the envelope, as the family looked on. She looked around, committing each smiling face to memory, even as she wondered what they could have possibly done for her. The first thing Heather noticed was that her plane ticket had been upgraded to first class, which spiked her pulse even before she got to the rest of the contents within the envelope. Courtesy of George, she now had what would be considered a penthouse apartment at the top of one of the most expensive buildings she was well acquainted with in Abu Dhabi. Not only that, but courtesy of Em and Vic, she had a year's worth of restaurant vouchers as well as a contact for personal chef services whenever she would need him. And to top it all off, her bank balance had considerably more zeros in it than it had previously.


“I can’t accept this. It’s all too much,” Heather said, even as she was shushed by Jennifer.


“You can and you will, Heather. Whether we see you again next week, next month, next year or never again, you are part of this family. I can speak for all of us when I say that. And as a family, we take care of each other. So I don’t give a damn if you just need dental floss, you call. Both mine and Uncle George’s numbers are in there, as well as Justin’s. Understand?”


“Yes, Ma’am,” Heather said. The tears she’d tried so hard to stem streamed down her face. "Damn hormones," she muttered, even though she was smiling.


Melanie cleared her throat then. No doubt she too was feeling the emotion, although for an entirely different reason. But she had a job to do, and she would do it for a most deserving woman. The paperwork had already been signed, but Justin asked her to do one more thing for the lady, who just added to their family in unimaginable ways. “Heather, it’s my honor to also let you know there has been a trust set up in your name that’s going to give a few nursing students scholarships within this hospital. It wasn't until recently that we learned of how you had to put yourself through nursing school without the benefit of aid to help with all your expenses. Beginning as a nurse’s aide in this very place, you began your journey. From nurse aide to Medical Assistant, and then LPN and finally a registered nurse, it took a lot of guts and gumption to go the road you’ve traveled to now be selected to teach medical care in Abu Dhabi. So while you are over there making a difference, you will still be here doing the same with the Heather C. Davis Trust Fund.”


“I hate to break up this little party, but it’s time for our patient to rest, and there are two hungry little girls down the hall,” Judy said, standing by the door, her own tears shining bright. 


She knew what this was really costing Heather, even if none of the other family did. The only consolation either of them had was that she and Heather would be traveling together as partners, which was something they opted to keep tightly under wraps because of the non-fraternization policy of the hospital. It was just luck they had found each other during Dyke Night at Babylon just after both Emmett and Heather ditched the whole See the Light fiasco. For that reason alone, she would always be grateful to Emmett Honeycutt and Ted Schmidt. Because without Ted’s speech and Em’s influence, she and Heather would have never found each other.


 As each family member filed out after giving Heather a hug of gratitude and well wishes, Emmett was once again beside the bed. Turning on his leading man voice one last time, he said, “Now Heather Charlene Davis, do call, do write.”


Both of them burst out laughing. “I won’t be a stranger, Emmett Maurice Honeycutt, of the Hazelhurst Honeycutts. I promise.”


Returning to his regular voice, he said, “I’m going to hold you to that, Heather. Regardless of everything you’re still my friend and I want to know how you are, Honey. Okay? And you be sure to take care of Ms. Judy here.”


Both Heather and Judy gasped, even as Emmett chuckled. “How did you know?” Heather asked.


“We all do, but Brian, Justin, and Melanie picked up on it right away. Don’t worry though. If any folks know how to keep secrets, it’s our family.”


Emmett winked one last time before leaving the room, heading towards the nursery. His precious little angels had yet to be named, and it was feeding time. He couldn’t help the smile gracing his face as he realized just how much his life was changing even now with the unexpected gift of an additional daughter he wasn’t expecting. He would have to watch that one closely, he chuckled to himself. She had hidden herself well behind her sister the entire time. It was funny but she was already reminding hlm of Justin. The other reminded Emmett of his other young bestie. And if there was ever two people to catch everyone else by surprise, it was Baby and Daph. So he could only hope his little unicorns, Kaia Justine and Heather Daphne Honeycutt, were just those types as well.


He watched as his family looked on at his daughters being fed. Jenn was the first to notice him, and came to walk with him the rest of the way. “They’re absolutely beautiful, Em. Now I don’t want you to worry. I’ve already been in touch with the furniture store, and had the Bears wait there for everything else to be delivered. Also, I hope you don’t mind, but I went through your phone and…”


“Jennifer, I…” He stammered, knowing just what she possibly could have seen going through the device. 


Seeing his discomfort, she laughed. “Oh Honey, don’t worry. After finding naked pictures drawn by Justin’s hand, and seeing Brian’s thong the night after my son’s first foray into Gay P.A., I doubt there is anything else that could shock me. On second thoughts, let me not tempt fate since Molly has been doing a good job of it lately.”


“What’s she done now?” Emmett could barely contain his laughter.


“Remind me to tell you later of the new plot Craig thought to involve Justin in. Suffice it to say, I thought I would have needed bail money if my daughter had her way this morning. Anyway, I spoke to your Aunt and she’s…”


“Now where’s my Rainbow Baby?” The loud new voice, with the most familiar country twang, entered the area.


“Oh my God. Aunt Lula?” Emmett whispered, before grinning. He had just a moment before his arms were filled with a lemon and lavender scented cloud. 


“Not God, Darling, but I would imagine a representation of Him just now,” Aunt Lula laughed, as she hugged her favorite nephew tight.


“I’m so glad you’re here, Auntie. There’s so much to tell you,” Emmett said, before turning briefly to the woman, who was more a mother to him than his own or even Debbie. “Thank you, Jenn. I was wondering how I was going to manage since…”


“Since there are two little unicorns instead of just the one we were expecting,” Jenn said, smiling and extending her hand. “Lula, it’s a real pleasure to meet you. I’m sure all of us have heard many wonderful things about you.”


“That and the many gothic tales,” Brian drawled, causing the others, including Lula to laugh. “I thought you were someone Honeycutt just dreamt up.”


“Can it, Brian. And don’t call me Honeycutt,” Emmett said, even though he was still smiling. 


“Now you leave that handsome young thang alone, Emmett Maurice. Well at least for now, if you get my meaning,” Lula said suggestively, much to the amusement of everyone else. “Now what’s this I hear about unicorns?”


“My daughters,” Emmett said, awe once again clouding his voice before clearing it. “Kaia Justine and Heather Daphne should just about be finished with their bottles by now.”


“Oh my goodness, Em! You named them after us?” Justin asked with tears in his eyes, even as Daphne fist pumped.


“I have so much to teach my namesake,” she said, while hugging John and Peter a little tighter to her.


“Oh my God, now there will be two sets of Trouble walking,” Brian said, even while holding onto Justin, who looked as if he was ready to fly apart.


“I couldn’t think of two people I’d want my girls to be like more, Brian. Besides, these two will teach them how to stick together.”


“More like how to hide bodies where they will never be found, while looking completely innocent.”


“Yeah, that too,” Emmett laughed.


“So, more than one, huh?” Lula laughed. “Now wouldn’t your folks just have a fit if they knew that.”


“You didn’t tell them, did you?”


Lula noted the worried look in Emmett’s eyes, before reassuring him. She’d also noticed that the assembled group had the same looks on their faces as well. But before her very eyes, each set of their jaws transformed into one of determination, and she instinctively knew these people would go to war on behalf of her nephew. It warmed her heart to see that.


“No need to worry, y’all. Hammerhead Harold and that piss-poor mama of yours are probably still smarting from the verbal asswhuppin’ Desiree put on them before we boarded the plane Ms. Jennifer was kind enough to give us to be here with you all.”


“What’s happened? And Desi is here? Where?” Emmett asked. 


“She’s at the hotel for the moment, making some phone calls to tell some of the key gossip mongers what’s really goin’ on, I imagine. Word is gonna spread like wildfire, burning up the phone lines in that little podunk town.”


“I thought she was supposed to marry Bobby Ray this weekend.”


“That was what Harold and Elizabeth planned, but Desi… Well, she had other plans and was just lookin’ for a way to get out of it. So when I told her about you and Ms. Jennifer here, she went in the house and packed all she could before telling them where to stick that there weddin’ and Bobby Ray’s orders of what he’d be expectin’ about how she was to live her life from the moment they said ‘I do’. I tell ya, Emmett. I ain’t ne’er been so proud in my life ‘cept when you told them that you hoped God sent an axe to split’em where the sun don’t shine before you boarded a bus here.”


They all laughed, but it was Justin who spoke. “Jesus, Em. I thought it was bad enough when you told Lindsay to trade her broom for Zeus’ thunderbolt and ride it straight to hell.”


“Wow, you heard that, Baby?”


“Hell yeah, I did, even over Michael’s screaming when I tried to smack his face and ear off. I still wonder if his hearing has returned. Probably not. Anyway, at first I thought I’d imagined it, but when I remembered all of what I heard them saying, I couldn’t stop laughing at that.”


“That must have gone over well,” Melanie said, between fits of laughter.


“Yeah well, if the splinters didn’t maim the bitch in her girly bits, I was hoping the lightning would.”


“Emmett, it’s not like you to be so uncharitable,” Lula scolded. Before he could defend himself, she added, “You should have just thrown ice-cold water on the little witch to see if she melted into a puddle of goo. It’s what I did to Elizabeth while Desi was packin’.”


“Did it work?” Emmett asked, grinning. He really did miss his aunt and sister.


“No, but it did get her to shut that pie hole in her face. The best part though was that Harold just stood there in shock. You have no idea how many years I wanted to do that.”


“Oh you’re going to fit right in around here,” Vic hugged the woman and Emmett at the same time.


The rest of the introductions were made then, and everyone was in a good place for a change… Until Colleen came to find Brian, Justin, and Mel to let them know Joan Kinney was awake and screaming the hospital walls down for Brian.