- Text Size +

 

 

CHAPTER 24:  A MEETING OF THE MINDS


THE SCHICKLE ESTATE

SEWICKLEY, PA


“Let me guess, it’s her again…” George smirked at the annoyed expression gracing his daughter’s face.


Francesca sighed. “I wish it was that simple. No, this time it’s Junior calling to ask me for a loan that I will never see again. I know it’s because of Mom.”


“How do you know that?”


“The amount,” she answered. At her father’s puzzled expression, she confirmed, “If it was for Junior, the amount would have still been huge, but far more modest.”


“So how much was the amount he asked for, and why?” George asked, genuinely curious.


“Twice the amount of the settlement offer to Virginia. As to why, he didn’t say.”


“But… you suspect there’s more to that request, Frankie,” George stated.


“Yes, I do. Thinking on it more now, it can’t just be about aiding and abetting Clara in her continued quest for the Queen of Stupidity crown.”


“Are we talking about Junior or Virginia?” It wasn’t a secret that Junior had been sleeping with Clara Hobbs, although he didn’t think Virginia knew about it. Frankie only found out by accident.


“Both,” she answered. “But why is the ultimate question.”

 

“Well, it’s no secret that with the Hobbs family having to shell out two million to Justin, that would have put an awesome strain on that family’s coffers. Since it was payable immediately, before leaving court yesterday, no doubt there isn’t a lot of ready cash available to them. It could be that either Junior or Virginia is attempting to help out their ‘friend’.”


“It would make sense, but… No, I don’t think that’s the total sum of the reason behind Junior’s demand. Hmm, is Calvin Hobbs still trying to challenge Justin’s admittance to PIFA?”


“At every turn,” George responded through gritted teeth. “At the last board meeting, he stepped up his efforts by publicly listing all of Justin’s ailments as he’d heard them at the trial. Thankfully, or not, the board has decided to wait to make a judgment upon Justin’s first semester grades about whether he not only keeps his enrollment, but the scholarship they were offering.”


“Can they rescind it now that he’s a multi-millionaire in his own right?”


“They can, but based on the circumstances, they would look petty to do so, unless they have a valid reason…”


“Like not being able to complete the assignments,” Frankie completed her father’s thought. “Which leads me back to the demand for money. Is it possible that they are trying to pay off the faculty in advance to say that Justin can’t complete the work?”


“It’s possible, but I think we would have to look closely at them to see who would benefit from such a thing. Undoubtedly, they would have to be able to back that claim up, which would tarnish their vaunted reputations should Justin go on and prove them wrong.”


“Which he would. If there is one thing about Justin to be counted on, it’s what happens when you tell him that he can’t do what he wants. He becomes the most obstinate creature.”


“That’s always been true, at least until recently. His ego had taken a beating at the hands of Hobbs’ bat. Although, I think he’s making significant strides to get it back with the help of Brian Kinney and others.”


“How’s that going?”


“So far, they seem fine. I had a late lunch with them yesterday after the trials. They seem solid now, where a couple of weeks ago, both of them were unsure.”


“Any chance that they’ll remain that way?”


“Who knows. Justin’s young, and Brian for all his class and elegance is still a wild child; a sustainable romance between them is a tough call to make. But they have a lot going on between them, including children…”


“Children?”


“Yes, three boys. Sit down, Frankie, and let me explain.”


George took the next half hour to fill his daughter in on all the events from yesterday after the trial straight through to the current situations, and the factions being formed. Frankie laughed hard at her cousin Molly’s pre-sentencing revenge on Craig Taylor, knowing that by the end of it all, Craig would probably wish for a jail cell instead of the ‘freedom’ he had now. She was absolutely disgusted about the machinations of the Peterson women, with the exception of Lynette. Although she often felt ambiguous about the latter, she couldn’t stand Nancy and Lindsay, whom she had remembered from her high school years. The feeling also extended to Gardner Vance, who she always thought of as a silver-tongue snake. Hearing all that’s been happening, she now knew why George Junior’s demand for money troubled her so much.


“The money isn’t solely for Clara, Dad. It’s also to further the aims of Nancy Peterson.”


“What makes you so sure?”


“Birds of a feather, Dad. One thing all of them have in common is their hate for Justin. Junior is NOT your heir, Justin is. Through the idiocy of their youngest son towards Justin, the Hobbs family has, at last, lost their standing by having to pay Justin and now, Hobbs, Senior will be facing jail time for bribery of a court official…”


“But where do you think Nancy Peterson fits into all of this?”


“It’s really simple when you think about it, Dad. Lindsay is Nancy’s get through and through. Everything about her, from her inherent greed to the way she goes about getting what she wants screams that she’s her mother’s daughter. Lindsay wants Brian Kinney, or more accurately his money and status. Justin’s continued presence in his life prevents that. Hell, even having Brian’s son didn’t get Lindsay what she ultimately wants, which certainly would piss Mommy Dearest off. Lindsay’s failure doesn’t only affect her, but Nancy too, since Ron decided to drop the bitch with only the six grand she came into the marriage with. And Nancy can’t help Lindsay achieve her goals with what she no longer has, which was unlimited funds at her fingertips. Her nether region can no longer be used as currency for valuable information; neither can Lindsay’s.”


“I don’t know, since she’s currently holed up with Gardner Vance at his estate.”


“That’s plotting and planting, but not gathering intelligence.” Frankie smirked.


“Touche,” George chuckled. “So if I’m understanding you correctly, you believe that Virginia and Junior are going to bankroll Clara and Nancy to ruin Brian and Justin.”


Frankie nodded. “Money talks, bullshit walks.”


They were interrupted by the doorbell ringing. They were expecting Jennifer and some friends of hers, so George and Frankie were surprised when the butler announced Ron Peterson and his daughter, Mrs. Lynette Burgess were at the door. George advised for them to be let in, more than a little curious as to why they were there. He didn’t have long to wait for his answers.


“Good afternoon, George and Francesca. We hope we’re not intruding, but well, I spoke to Jennifer just a little while ago and she advised that she was meeting with you here. She said that there were a few things about this unpleasantness that we needed to know.”


George nodded. “I imagine there are. How are you holding up?”


Ronald smiled. “Actually quite well, given the circumstances. No, I’m lying. I feel amazing now that my farce of a marriage is finally ending. I would imagine you understand the sentiment, even if the situation is a bit different.”


George and Frankie laughed. “Dad actually threw a bachelor party the day the divorce was finalized, although I’m not sure you would enjoy that type of entertainment.”


“I’d heard about that shindig. Plenty of dancing, drinking, and dudes, if my memory serves correctly. You created quite a stir within the community, George,” Lynette said, smiling.


“Yes, well it was a party long overdue. Back when I married Virginia, I never considered coming out. Even though my parents were more liberal than most, I still wasn’t sure how they would have taken the fact that I’m gay. It’s why I admire Brian and Justin so much. Being gay isn’t the sum total of who they are and they have never hidden their sexuality for the comfort of others.”


“Have you heard from them today?” Ronald asked. “I got the feeling that there was something serious going on last night.”


“There’s plenty, but most of it is their story to tell. But I will tell you that they accompanied Melanie to see her father in Miami. She received word yesterday while we were attending Justin’s trial that he was not doing well and had requested to see her.”


“I’m sorry to hear that.”


“Are you?” Frankie asked. “Because I always got the impression that you didn’t like her much.”


“It wasn’t that… for either us,” Lynette answered. “I know for my part, I couldn’t understand how she couldn’t see that she was being used by Lindsay. I may not agree with the whole lifestyle, but I could see that Mel was a good-hearted and intelligent woman, who made a really dumb choice when it came to Lindsay.”


“As for me, I knew Melanie’s history and that caused me several issues.”


“Her history? What do you mean?” George asked, genuinely puzzled.


“Like you said, it’s their story to tell, but I can tell you that Brian Kinney and Melanie Marcus have much more in common than just temperament and an inherent drive to be successful. In fact, the fact that he’s there in Florida with her makes me hope that they will finally understand that.”


“They do,” Jennifer announced as she walked in with about twenty-three other people. “Hello everyone,” she said, kissing first George and then Frankie on their cheeks.


“A pleasure to see you, Auntie J,” Frankie said. “Where’s Mollusk? Conducting more business deals?”


Jennifer laughed, shaking her head. “She’s actually on a playdate, although I suspect she’ll be working on the promised computer program before too long. She and her little friend, Monique, are similarly inclined. Did you know they already have a computer business model together.”


“Is she planning to take over her father’s stores someday?” Ronald asked, fascinated.


“No. Besides, Justin just sold the franchise for a very nice profit. It was in today’s business section.” Jennifer beamed. “But that’s not the reason we’re here.”


Ronald nodded, but then thought back a moment. “You said that Brian and Melanie know about their connection?”


“Yes. Melanie called Emmett and explained it.”


“What’s happened?” George asked.


“It turns out that Melanie and Brian are twins, who were separated at birth,” Jennifer answered, awe coloring her voice. The shock of that news still hadn’t worn off.


“WHAT?”


“You heard right, Uncle George. But let’s talk about the specifics of it all later, okay?”


“And you knew, Ron?”


“Yes, but I agree with Jennifer that we should talk about it later. I suspect it’s the reason she asked us to come over here, or at least part of it?”


“It is,” Jennifer confirmed. “But let me introduce you all to the people accompanying me. You all know Emmett, Vic, and Ted. You also know Marcie, Cynthia, and Constance. But this is Murphy, James, Whitney, Nick, and Kerry. They are the artists who will make up Kinnetik’s art department along with Justin. As for the Ad execs who will be working with Brian, this is Todd….”


“Wait! Backroom Todd? I thought you looked familiar!” Emmett exclaimed.


“Hey Todd, how’s it going?” Ted asked, smirk firmly in place.


“Fine,” he answered, nearly laughing.


“Why do they call you Backroom Todd?” Frankie asked.


“For a reason that you certainly don’t need to know about,” Jennifer derailed the answer, snickering. The more she learned about Brian and Justin’s world and the people who inhabited it, the more she felt her innocence depleting. If Frankie wanted that particular information, she would have to go in search of it on her own. “Let me finish making the introductions. This is Jason, who works as both an exec and and an artist, Tracy, Max, and Valentin. Carmen, Cheryl, and Karina will make up Ted’s Accounting Department, while Mark and Derek will hopefully be working with Melanie in legal.”


“And as for the other two?”


“Oh that’s Holly and Carlton. They will be working with me and Kinnetik on expanding into the Real Estate market.”


“Real estate?” Lynette perked up.


“Yes.”


“Can we meet after this is over?”


“Sure, but why?”


“For several reasons, but the main one is that I want to find a new career choice.”


“Forgive me for saying this, but I always thought that your ultimate goal was to be a socialite,” Jennifer said warily.


Lynette sighed. “That may have been true at one time, but… well, I don’t want to end up like Nancy and Lindsay, although I don’t see Larry and I ever ending. But it’s not about that, really... I just want my own life, not to be an extension of someone else’s.”


“I hear that you are newly expecting.”


“I am, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t have it all, does it?”


Jennifer smiled. “No, it doesn’t. As I’ve so recently discovered, having children doesn’t mean that you can’t define your own definition of success. I think all of the ladies here can attest to that.”


Lynette looked around at the nodding and smiling women. She was familiar with Marcie, who she knew didn’t have to work if she didn’t choose to. She was also aware of just who Cynthia was to Brian, having listened to Lindsay bitch about Brian’s powerful assistant numerous times. She felt that she was in good company with the two of them alone. Undoubtedly, her divorce settlements from her two previous marriages would be enough to keep her living in style even without Larry’s income, it’s just she wanted to be more; to do more with her life than just being Larry’s wife and a Peterson by birth. It was a sentiment which earned her a severe tongue-lashing from Nancy the last time she’d said so aloud. But now with officially kicking Nancy, and therefore Lindsay, out of her life for good, she no longer cared about whatever censure they would give her for creating a future for herself separate from the one her mother had planned for her.


“So, any word on when Brian and Justin plan to be up and running?” George asked.


“The timetable they gave me was three weeks, but there are some other developments you all should be aware of.”


“Like?” Todd asked.


“Brace yourselves.” Murphy said, rolling his eyes, before continuing his answer. “Gardner hired Lindsay Peterson.”


The collective gasps and 'dreadful' sighs filled the parlor as each of the assembled digested what the Art Director said, and all the implications of the news. Todd was the first one to recover from the shocking statement.


“Great! So now he’s given her a paid way to stalk Brian. So what does this mean, exactly?”


“It means that we- meaning those of us who are not now just being told about this latest development- believe they are going to be looking for allies to install within Kinnetik’s halls once the building is operable. As we all know, Brian already has a client base that more than likely will follow him to the new company…”


“Wait! How is that possible?” Ron asked.


Jennifer smiled. “Brian is already considered a hot commodity within the Advertising field, and he’s only thirty years old. That said, there are also new contracts, which are ready for Brian and the Kinnetik staff to take over their advertising posthaste. They were only waiting for him to get a clue and leave Ryder, now Vanguard Agency, since they will not work with Vance in any capacity.”


Cynthia filled it, “The way Brian’s contracts are set up is that he is the exec in charge of their accounts. If he leaves the company, the clients have the option to void their current contracts, which name him specifically as the sole exec on their accounts without penalty, or to stay with Vanguard and receive a new campaign. Brian, and especially Justin, are smart. They kept all of the copyrights on Justin’s artwork.”


“What do you mean?” Lynette asked this time. In her mind, it was unusual for an artist who was employed by a company to do that.


“Outside of all of you in this room, Vanguard doesn’t have the same standard of excellence that Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor are known for. Justin was employed directly by Brian as an independent contractor on the accounts he’s worked on, including Liberty Air. So even if the company decides to stay with Vanguard Advertising, they would need an entirely new campaign since they can’t use Justin’s artwork unless they are willing to pay him directly for it.”


“And Brian thought that up?”


Jennifer smiled. “No, Justin did. Brian just agreed to it, and Melanie drew up the contract to state that fact.”


“Best of all is that Martin Ryder jumped to signed it when he saw what Justin had done with the account. Brian gave him the option not to sign the contract, knowing that he would have to use the Art Department of Ryder, which at the time wasn’t up to the standards that it is now with Murph running it. Under David Dumas, the department suffered because he was not only inept but a control freak.”


“If Ryder, and now Vance, had their way, Dumbass as we called him, would still be employed there, but the partners outvoted Marty when they began losing out on accounts. It’s why Brian hired Justin as a freelance artist,” Murph supplied.


“So basically Brian and Justin are the dream team of Advertising?” Lynette asked.


“Indeed they are,” Murph confirmed. “Kinnetik will have no shortage of clients with the two of them at the helm.”


“But you won’t have a problem sharing your position with a young man who doesn’t have your experience or degrees?”


Murph shook his head. “Not at all. To know Justin is to recognize his genius when you see it. Sure, right now he’s having some trouble with his drawing hand, but I suspect that won’t signify a career-ender for him much longer. In fact, I think it’s about to become a real game changer.”


“What do you mean?” This time it was Jennifer who asked.


Cynthia smiled, and looked to Murph to let her explain. At his nod, Cyn answered. “Murphy had the genius idea to give Justin one of his upgraded computers which he uses for his personal logo design business. As a result, we all felt that it was a really good idea since it will help not only strengthen Justin’s hand without a lot of pressure on his wrist, but also because the company will hire him as a paid consultant. Currently, the desktop computer that belonged to Murph is on its way to Justin down in Miami, but the company is also sending Justin the prototype laptop which also includes voice recognition software.”


“Is it from the same software company the board at PIFA just approved the upgrades for?” George asked.


“If the company is called FreeDraw Tech, then yes it is.” Cynthia smiled when George did.


“What’s that small smirk for, Dad?” Frankie asked when she saw it.


“Well, I think Calvin Hobbs will have to reconsider his position about Justin’s education and scholarship a lot sooner than he thinks. Did Justin accept the position?”


“He most certainly did!” Murphy answered, excitedly. “It’s the only way he was going to be able to use the laptop version. The prototype should be delivered to him this evening sometime since the company is based in Daytona.”


“Murphy, I’m going to need the number to that company posthaste,” George ordered.


“Forgive me, but why?”


“Don’t worry, but I think they should know who they just hired to become their consultant.”


“They know about Justin’s situation…”


“No. They need to know that they just hired the co-CEO of Kinnetik, and a dual accepted PIFA and Carnegie Mellon student.”


“He was accepted to Carnegie, too?”


“Indeed he was. Justin has been on the fast track for not only a Fine Arts degree but his Masters in Business Administration since the ninth grade. He’s going into both programs as a sophomore. But more important than that is that FreeDraw is another company who is only with the advertising company they are with because they couldn’t stand the alternatives. I have it on good authority that the only reason they are with Kennedy and Collins in New York is because they were misled to believe that they were going to hire Brian Kinney.”


“Who told them that?” Cynthia asked, already having an idea just who did.


“Their current account executive, Adam Lyons.”


Cynthia laughed. “Please let me be around while you make the call to Reece and Veronica Mansfield. I didn’t put it together earlier, but they called right after the deal with K and C was signed, asking if Brian had any intention of leaving Ryder, but he was out of the office because of…”


“Yeah. So now have the information and speculation about what Gardner will be planning, with Lindsay as his contact. Any idea where she’ll be working?” George asked.


“Unfortunately, she’ll be in the salt mines with us.” Murph frowned, no doubt still thinking about the earlier phone call from Gardner. “That said, I think I know exactly who they will try to use against Brian.”


“The Wonder Twits?” Cynthia, Marcie, and Todd asked at the same time.


“Indeed. They are the only people within the entire department that will be anxious to tango with Brian Kinney. He’s sure embarrassed them publicly enough over the years.”


“Yes, but even you have to admit it was well-deserved,” Cynthia snickered.


“Truly it was, but that means Lindsay will have a wonderful time hearing all of their complaints…”


“I’m sorry but Wonder Twits? Who are they?” Lynette asked.


“The short version would be to call them Lindsay’s Mates in Mediocrity, but we all know them as Bob and Brad Walsh. And yes, they really are twins, but unlike Max and Val here who also are, they are far less talented in their field. I’m still wondering why Gardner kept them. I guess it’s the supposed mystique of having two sets of twins staffed- one set in the advertising department, the other in the art department.”


Max and Val rolled their eyes, but Val confirmed her thought. “Yeah, it is. He’s taken to pairing us up with them when we have lunch and dinner meetings. Since Brian hasn’t been there these past few weeks, Gardner’s been getting away with doing that by threatening to take the accounts Brian trusted us with away to give them to others. Although we could give a shit about the account itself, we couldn’t let him do that to Brian since when the bonus came we were going to give seventy-five percent of it to him and split the rest between ourselves. Since Brian had done the majority of the work before his leave and left clear, concise instructions of what was left to be done, it’s only right that the lion’s share of the bonus go to him, which Gardner would gladly withhold if he could."


“So I guess now the question is, how many of you are willing to stay on until the Kinnetik offices are up and running?” Cynthia asked.


Ron’s phone chose that moment to ring just as they were getting to the heart of the matter concerning what he told Jennifer he was prepared to do for those choosing to part ways with Vanguard prior to the opening of Kinnetik. It was an idea that formed last night after listening to Aurora Kelly advising him of the real situation surrounding Gardner, Marty, and Brian Kinney. When he looked down at the screen of his phone, he couldn’t help the frown that graced his features as he excused himself from the meeting.


“Hanks? What can I do for you?” Ron asked, wondering why his attorney’s private investigator was calling him directly.


“You can pay me for the investigative work you wife ordered me to do for the last month.”

 

What the hell has Nancy been up to now?!